IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden in Pyrgos...

Kostas

A few new photos taken a little more than a week ago! Certain plants really grew in the few weeks that passed between these and the previous photos! Others are about the same.

Cycas revoluta male

C4F7D121-CB52-4F44-A30F-843B7B842D68-285

77D89FCC-A09A-4127-81C8-72D797C25038-285

Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) and male Cycas revoluta.

5A144DC1-5DD0-46B9-8DCB-6A0ABAA69FA1-285

Just look at the size of it!

4EDFB54D-0F30-46E3-A33A-B8E9D23FC5F1-285

A Howea fosteriana is buried somewhere within its canopy....

B2628492-8760-4C66-9BA8-951B1DF84EB4-285

F12F4468-844B-413F-A5E3-33C3B35F6937-285

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Thank you very much for your kind comments :)

Phoenikakias,

I dont know how many leafs my 2 Syagrus(Arecastrum romanzoffianum is a synonym,Syagrus romanzoffiana is the valid name :) ) hold,havent counted them recently. The only thing i know is that they are trunking and by next year i hope to see some clean and hopefully fat trunk on them! :)

My Strelitzia reginae is in shade most of the day,i like its look that way with its long petiole leafs,makes it look lush and tropical and fits ok as an understory. The Calistemon laevis is there to stay,so it just has to do with whatever sun it gets! It flowers fine in shade so far,so it doesnt really need more sun,its well within its limits. Its a very resilient species here,i have seen it thriving in sun or shade and doesnt care for drought,it handles it fine! I will be adding more of them as fillers once i finish the front and side patios as they look beautiful in sun or shade :)

Good to hear you like how everything is looking better! They just needed their time,and still do! :)

Does your Strelitzia produce flowers at all or prolifically? Mine at your plant's age used to produce many flowers, which were lasting to midsummer (in decreased numbers of course) but this gave me the opportunity to cross pollinate reginae with pollen from Strelitzia caudata and produce only one viable seed, from which a plant has grown, adopted by a great fan of Strelitzia in the UK. It is kind of verification of the legendary hybrid in the Kews (reginae X nicolai). Kinda thrilling, ain't it?

Edited by Phoenikakias

It does flower and produces inflorescences quite often but as I am not too interested in flowers and don't have a second S. reginae to pollinate it with,I don't keep track of when exactly it flowers and till when. I know it produces inflorescences in fall,opens them at some point and once spent it grows a second flush of them at some point. Haven't kept a diary on that though!

Alcantarea imperialis and Livistona mariae

54722CAB-36DA-4F1D-A1D6-116452F7DB1E-285

Dypsis lastelliana

F28066D6-4A32-4C75-8839-3CFB591A0CCF-285

My second Washingtonia robusta(Sonora). That building is 3,5-4m easy...Not small either!

C9F83DC7-084C-46F4-B75A-745BD2ECBD64-285

Beccariophoenix alfredii

274180F6-7EA7-458A-93C8-F782C9B05B25-285

Encephalartos concinnus

97955208-B203-4081-83FC-86CED41BD540-285

Stangeria eriopus(Forest Form)

8A3DAAD5-3CC0-4E35-A702-D3F72EC238AF-285

Cycas micronesica(Rota)

72856D45-EB3D-4DB7-84D1-1E5A2EA33552-285

Sabal causiarum(or S. domingensis?) starting to get more wax on it!

FD0D1E6B-9C27-4877-8655-605DEE0E97CD-285

Beccariophoenix alfredii

4B4248D3-15E3-42BB-9701-A92990257098-285

Part of the rainforest area under my Grevillea robusta...It already has the jungle look and will only get junglier with the new plantings I have done and those that will soon follow!

B4EABF49-05D7-4CC0-8F21-E7732DBC1232-285

Another part of the rainforest area,under my Ziziphus and olive trees. Ceratozamia miqueliana,Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco),Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookeri),Stangeria eriopus(Forest Form) and Prestoea acuminata var. montana can be seen in the pictures

2C7AFFEF-2264-4378-8432-385D41756B29-285

44279E86-F404-48EC-AA00-BA5A2F2DDA91-285

Ceroxylon amazonicum :)

9CE69F3F-1C2F-4F4A-BF4C-4367B5070404-285

Dioon spinulossum,Codiaeum variegatum and Pritchardia schattaueri

F46C4D81-AEA2-4E63-A4BB-E8CB75FC57F2-285

Cycas multipinnata along with acclimating Cyphophoenix alba and Indian Mangifera indica seedling

26687F73-9307-4CC4-98FF-E9DE426D042A-285

Castanospermum australe growing vigorously! The retaining wall seen behind it is 2,5m tall,so it's probably 3,5m tall or more now :)

CACA7F73-BB23-4BE3-9144-536DD6D17BD2-285

Pritchardia schattaueri

7136BD21-A317-441A-AFA9-AD52302F0F3F-285

Dioon spinulossum and Alocasia odora. The Alocasia will be moved due to branching too much and not growing huge enough where it is at

6AB39F9F-31CA-4C84-8BAA-D5C8398F5BAF-285

Cyphophoenix alba establishing well :)

29B165A9-2710-4D14-8487-27826FF3D1BB-285

Various bananas awaiting their planting spots to be made or found...

F4C1BAC9-F84C-4B0C-8285-2FEB668988EA-285

Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco)

732078CE-207D-4AC6-8712-1F976543527B-285

Cycas revoluta female

B3578292-6F00-46DA-A251-09E656DA06E4-355

Archontophoenix alexandrae

477E90A8-B158-4DCA-8F4E-4EDE36F8256C-285

BD68E078-22FB-46DE-A964-1111CB74579D-285

Syagrus romanzoffiana finally starting to get wider! It's already trunking since spring!

C5EB4629-B773-490B-8497-1770E1D342F0-285

Stangeria eriopus(Forest Form)

22DE48E4-0F83-409A-95F5-01B3A5EEBE6E-355

Coccothrinax alexandrii ssp. alexandrii on its slow way to establishment... It's about the same as last time...

CDCF8711-7508-41F4-80F4-7C1DADB6AF59-355

Bismarckia nobilis(Silver) at about 3m tall now! The previous time I took a photo of it,about half a month ago,it was only about 2m tall!!!

A513560B-01EE-49FC-8195-D03B7F071735-285

0C07DCDC-7BA1-45D8-A74D-C406D5412925-285

That was it! Hope you liked it!!! :)

• Upvote 1

I am very curious to know, why you keep post every time new pics in the same gigantic topic, which causes to frequent visitor like me (yes I am very interested in your garden project) a slow download of new pics, because all older ones on same page have to be also downloaded. You could for example open variuous topics as sequels titled like 'My garden in Pyrgos month or season and year'. I am awfully sorry but I can not follow anymore your topic but if you need any advice I am always accessible through PM.

Phoenikakias,

I always liked photo threads to be organized and preferably 1 per garden,so that its development and the whole photo series of it are easily seen and plant growth easily tracked,by just going back like in a photo album. That is the reason i made my garden's thread that way. I do like and occasionally do separate topics for various palm species but i prefer garden updates to be in the same thread. Most of the times,a single page holds the photos of just 1-2 updates,so not too many older pictures need to be downloaded normally. And in this particular update,no older photo needs to be downloaded... The pages load fully in under 20s for me and pages i have viewed before load instantly from memory. I understand that with a slower connection it might take a while or even be a nightmare to load a page of my thread but since this is a photo thread,that is pretty obvious and unavoidable.

Even with a new thread for each season,if i just did 1-2 updates on it,the need to load older pictures as well would be exactly the same as each page holds the pictures of 1-2 updates. I think photo threads are made to watch while relaxing,just like a movie,and so loading time shouldnt be that much of a problem.

Thank you very much Ante! :)

Happy growing to you too!!!

I thought posting is not only for ... boasting but also for discussing and latter gets rather difficult in your ... soap topic, especially if one uses a tablet with a small screen. Have you over considered how many times a tablet user has to scroll down again and again to the bottom of the page before he is able to read or write just a reply. Why should he be forced to see again already seen pictures and not have the time to read and participate also to other interesting topics? Hope you do not misunderstand me, everything here is written in good will and I will surely miss this topic!

Phoenikakias,

I use iPad all the time,never had problems with long topics,scrolls like a charm and posting is as easy as ever. I am actually posting from iPhone right now and everything loads fast and fine! Since I don't see a problem and the majority of viewers do not complain,I don't see a reason to change something in my presentation form.

This thread is mainly for showing the plants,how they grow and fare in my garden as time passes and seasons change. I don't consider it boasting by any means as there isn't much to boast about,my garden is very young and most of the plants too small compared to most other gardens shown on PalmTalk as I raised them from very small plants. Also,as it didn't take you long to notice judging from previous comments of yours,I don't just photograph what looks good and upload it here to show ''what a great grower I am!'',I photograph pretty much everything there is in whatever condition it is...Not good for showing off but good for showing how they look now and after the particular conditions they faced... If there is something to praise,that's my climate which is warm most of the year and rainy and humid enough to allow for more luxurious growth than in many other places of Greece. As the saying goes for Helia,where Pyrgos is,"even stakes sprout there...'' It's my climate that grows my plants mostly,not I,so nothing to boast about,just enjoy the plants and share what grows here with others :)

I sometimes ask a few things about my plants here in this thread,usually ID's of non-palms and other minor but useful stuff, though I tend to open a separate thread if the questions are important enough or something needs a thorough discussion as this is primarily a photo thread and questions can easily be lost in it!

I certainly welcome and I am delighted to hear comments and well put advise regarding my garden!

Thank you very much Alek for your kind comment :) I am glad you like it!

How big are the spaces that you have to plant things in? I ask because it looks like your Sabal is already about as wide as the spot that it's planted, and that species typically has a trunk that is sometimes 1.5 meters in diameter, so it doesn't look like it will have much room to grow in the future.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thanks for the heads up Keith,I know its a little tight for the Sabal there with only 70cm planter width but I plan to widen it accordingly if/when its trunk starts getting close to the edge :) I can even provide 1,5m or a little more planter width if I see it needs it but I was thinking it would max out at around 1m from what I had seen. Of course, I always say "the bigger the merrier", so bring it on!!!

• 1 month later...

2 weeks ago,I spent a wonderful week in Pyrgos,planting new palms and other plants,bringing my first banana bunch down from my Musa 'Kandrian' plus generally having a great time with my cousin! :)

Here are some photos I took while I was there!

Male Cycas revoluta and Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

null_zpsb67e7df9.jpg

null_zpsfb5da58c.jpg

Alcantarea imperialis(Dark Form) and Livistona mariae

null_zpsaf5c25bf.jpg

null_zpsee24d45f.jpg

null_zps05db2b6c.jpg

Dypsis lastelliana

null_zps97becd7c.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookeri)

null_zps5015abd0.jpg

Monstera deliciosa

null_zpse66d46f4.jpg

Hyphaene compressa :) I surrounded the area I ground planted it with a wooden frame as there is a short cement wall underground to the right of and wanted to keep it protected and its rootball intact when I dig out right next to the wooden frame to reach and remove the part of the short underground wall passing shallowly under the patio. Didn't have the tool at the time and wanted it ground planted now that it's still warm some. I have been growing this beauty potted for some months now!

null_zpsbef1c308.jpg

null_zpsf0fe5fe1.jpg

null_zps3eacf238.jpg

null_zps33c03600.jpg

And the seed...

null_zps9df07513.jpg

Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

null_zps038b5e2c.jpg

null_zpsdd919d14.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii

null_zpse0aa2a9a.jpg

Plumeria rubra

null_zps0f46736b.jpg

null_zpsb606699e.jpg

null_zps38892416.jpg

Attalea colenda

null_zps7f1d6a5b.jpg

Cycas micronesica(Rota)

null_zpsf8aa2eb2.jpg

Sabal causiarum

null_zps3f9fa768.jpg

Nice to see that someone else has an Attalea colenda! That's a species I never hear much about. I have two and they seem to be good growers for me, I've got one that's sending out bifid leaves now and is getting pretty big, the other is doing well also. They seem to like a lot of water but can handle a bit of under watering if needed.

Keith 

That's great to hear Zeeth! :)

How old do you think your bigger one is? Mine although small seem to be growing at a decent speed. I have two in ground ones,both in moist spots but the one you see gets some noon sun too. Do they handle sun ok at this age? They haven't seen our summer sun but have seen a good deal of early fall sun. I have another three potted ones waiting for spots in the ground,I can probably accommodate 2 of them but will see!

How do they handle frost?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

Well they're both the same age but I got them from Christian Faulkner at different times. I think the size difference has to do with the fact that I potted the big one up to a large pot about a year and a half ago, while the one I got from Christian over the summer was in a small pot until I got it. They were probably sprouted in 2009. I'll get a picture of both this weekend and put them up so you can see how big they are. They handle sun fine in Florida, but I have no idea about your climate. There is an Attalea cohune growing in full sun in palm desert, Ca, and they're in the same genus, so I imagine that it should acclimate for you

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/30963-oases-gardens-in-the-desert/?hl=desert

As for frost, I've heard that this species is more sensitive than some, and mine have never seen frost, so I would be careful there. Whenever it gets cold at all though, they send out leaves with white stripes in them. I've never had a palm so this.

Keith 

Thank you very much for all these information Zeeth,very helpful!!! I will make sure there is something overhead to cut the frost. Happy growing yours!!! Hope mine do well too :)

Continuing with the update,here is another Beccariophoenix alfredii

null_zps53910683.jpg

Musa 'Kandrian' :)

null_zps7bb3577b.jpg

And this is its bunch that has been hanging since early summer!

null_zps77b7a745.jpg

null_zpsa856ae2b.jpg

This is what was needed to bring the bananas down!

null_zps30c03c17.jpg

I harvested the bunch just before leaving Pyrgos almost 2 weeks ago. It was hanging at 5m height and the bananas weighed 12,2kg! Flesh color is orangish and taste is sweet with some acidity even when fully mature and firm texture :)

A couple of points that might make wading through the thread easier. There is a button for going strait tothe first unread post. You can pick up where you left off. There is also the feature to allow you to go to the last page of any thread. This would allow you to skip all tthe old stuff. One thing I do find little annoying is copying a reply that has pictures ..... you end up getting the same pictures over and over within the same thread. This makes for an unnecessarily long thread. If anybody finds the need to copy a reply in their post....please take out the photos....otherwise I have followe d and e joyed this thread from the beggining..every thing looki g good

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Love this thread!

Keep it rolling!

(Bananas!)

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Thank you very much for your replies and comments David and Eric :) I am glad you like my garden and enjoy this thread!

The area under my Grevilea robusta. Rhaphidophora decursiva is climbing its trunk and there are various epiphytes mounted on it like the Asplenium australasicum seen,Chysis laevis,Stanhopea embreei and others. Dicksonia antarctica,Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco) and Rhopalostylis baueri(Cheesemanni) are also easily seen

null_zps7a8c9c25.jpg

null_zpsc8df7afd.jpg

null_zps6770f4c2.jpg

Wettinia maynensis!

null_zps96023c5f.jpg

Aechmea gamosepala can be seen at the back on a rock formation along with a Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco) to the right of it

null_zpsfca03046.jpg

Lepidozamia hopei

null_zps1a3f58fb.jpg

Rhopalostylis baueri(Cheesemanni)

null_zps56d53725.jpg

null_zps581f3b57.jpg

null_zps6be5f536.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

null_zps5e8d0048.jpg

Normanbya normanbyi...This one is older than you might think and seems like its just now starting faster growth but remains to be seen!

null_zps268c22e4.jpg

Musa 'Brazilian Tall'

null_zps6cc15f38.jpg

Schefflera actinophylla

null_zps1be13b19.jpg

Cycas micronesica(Rota)

null_zps7d0097a1.jpg

Allagoptera caudescence(clustered leaflet form)

null_zps1676cf8e.jpg

Dioon spinulossum at the base of Syagrus romanzoffiana

null_zps136ac203.jpg

Another Rhopalostylis baueri(Cheesemanni) with a Sabal causiarum visible behind!

null_zpsc86d6bfb.jpg

null_zpsee87145f.jpg

Phoenikakias,

I always liked photo threads to be organized and preferably 1 per garden,so that its development and the whole photo series of it are easily seen and plant growth easily tracked,by just going back like in a photo album. That is the reason i made my garden's thread that way. I do like and occasionally do separate topics for various palm species but i prefer garden updates to be in the same thread. Most of the times,a single page holds the photos of just 1-2 updates,so not too many older pictures need to be downloaded normally. And in this particular update,no older photo needs to be downloaded... The pages load fully in under 20s for me and pages i have viewed before load instantly from memory. I understand that with a slower connection it might take a while or even be a nightmare to load a page of my thread but since this is a photo thread,that is pretty obvious and unavoidable.

Even with a new thread for each season,if i just did 1-2 updates on it,the need to load older pictures as well would be exactly the same as each page holds the pictures of 1-2 updates. I think photo threads are made to watch while relaxing,just like a movie,and so loading time shouldnt be that much of a problem.

Thank you very much Ante! :)

Happy growing to you too!!!

Kostas, it has been a pleasure to follow this topic since i am on palmtalk (2009).

Your garden is amazing and you are such a person.

And you also have so much patience! :bemused:

Rafael,thank you very much for your kind comments! :) I also love seeing the photo threads of your gardens and I am always amazed by how large plants you have there already!

:)

Sabal causiarum

null_zpsaf79e4cd.jpg

null_zpsf5fbbc5f.jpg

My Musa 'Tall Orinoco' which I got from a local hospital as an unknown variety,flowered somewhen this August and seems not to actually be an Orinoco as I first thought. Hope I can get a correct ID for it soon! In any case,the bunch should be ready to bring down in December! :)

null_zpse5b14ba3.jpg

null_zps7bd45216.jpg

null_zps276f4248.jpg

null_zps6b7c8ac9.jpg

Kostas, obviously I love this thread, and I also see your posts on Bananas.org.

How many Kilos of 'Nanners do you get in a year? Are all your varieties edible?

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Thank you very much Eric!!! :)

Yes,all of my varieties are edible. These are my very first bunches from my bananas so the kilos per year are not yet set,plus these bunches are from only 2 of the 6 varieties I currently have in the ground with many more to follow once I make the side patios I want. Only these 2 were big enough to flower this year and another seems that it will be ready to flower for its first time next year,but the rest need some more years. So next year,I should get at least 3 bunches. A bunch of 12kg is undersized for 'Kandrian' but i am very happy with it as it only had 4 leafs at flowering and it was the first bunch of the mat. Bunch size depends on variety too so while others can give a 40kg bunch others max at around 7 kg. My varieties should range from 30kg to around 12kg. In the not too distant future,I hope to be getting around 25bunches per year,each of which is usually good for 2 weeks and thus can offer bananas year round but this needs some good planning and more varieties in the ground. My immediate future goal is 12-20bunches per year starting 2-3years after the side patios are made :)

Beautiful garden and plants Kostas.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Thank you very much Martin! :) I am glad you like them!

Livistona mariae

null_zps37dd2b5e.jpg

Pritchardia schattaueri

null_zpseb8d32ed.jpg

Musa 'Pisang Ceylon'

null_zpsaf29f081.jpg

null_zps2a0bb2fc.jpg

Howea fosteriana

null_zps5dd367b4.jpg

The back corner with Howea fosteriana,Dioon spinulossum, Rhopalostylis baueri(Cheesemanni), Lepidozamia hopei,Castanospermum australe, Philodendron bipinnatifidum, Schefflera actinophylla and Xanthosoma violaceum

null_zps051b427a.jpg

null_zps48253b90.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii

null_zpsc7bf4919.jpg

Cryosophila warscewiczii

null_zps66b0f05d.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

null_zps7008797e.jpg

Zamia hamannii. This one rose from its ashes 1 year after a -2,5C freeze killed it to the ground

null_zpsfdca4a97.jpg

Howea fosteriana

null_zps4f9012e2.jpg

Hedyscepe canterburyana

null_zps2e6aefea.jpg

Cibotium glaucum

null_zps867d1e1d.jpg

New Caledonian seedling,possibly Actinokentia divaricata,older than you would think!

null_zpse13420c8.jpg

Another Cryosophila warscewiczii

null_zpsdd6f2ae8.jpg

Reinhardtia paiewonskiana

null_zpsd14db44f.jpg

Ceratozamia miqueliana :)

null_zps17c69700.jpg

Absolutely fantastic garden! Very nicely landscaped area around the house. Totally inspired me your forest jungle!

Really beautiful! :greenthumb:

Thank you very much Rudolf! :) That jungle,rainforest look is what I crave for too! And everything is far from done,I am still planting new trees as I am missing some major shade trees I need back there(the shade you see in most areas is from deciduous trees and I need to grow some evergreen rainforest trees to replace their deciduous canopy with an evergreen one that won't let frost in in winter!!) and there are a few more palms and some cycads to be planted too along with many more aroids,ferns,bromeliads,orchids,etc to complete the look. And everything needs to grow quite a bit too before it looks like something!!!

Thanks Keith :) I also love the P. schattaueri's,got 3 of them in ground! Hope they pass the winter ok. They are really nice and grow fast and trouble free for me but I am little worried of how winter will affect them as I don't have enough canopy yet...

3 natives growing one within the other: Cyclamen hederifolium flowering among the leafs of Arisarum vulgare and Arum maculatum(?) :)

null_zps0be3c558.jpg

null_zpsd59d8d8e.jpg

Under leaf shot

null_zps407d111c.jpg

My biggest Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookeri) :)

null_zps4e118950.jpg

Prestoea acuminata and Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco) among others...

null_zps9345658f.jpg

Veitchia joannis :)

null_zpsaed33d74.jpg