IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden in Pyrgos...

Kostas

Rhaphidophora decursiva climbing the Grevillea and Canistropsis burchelii at its base

IMG_4775a_zps1789c32b.jpg

Lepidozamia hopei,a personal favorite!

IMG_4776a_zpsf8fc608d.jpg

Rhopalostylis baueri var. cheesemanni

IMG_4779a_zps0eff93f2.jpg

IMG_4780a_zpsc38f8d97.jpg

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Dicksonia antarctica

IMG_4778a_zps06b4c126.jpg

IMG_4781a_zps7e69be40.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

IMG_4782a_zps53d19881.jpg

Cycas micronesica(Rota)

IMG_4784a_zps64541424.jpg

Dioon spinulossum planted a month ago with only its main root living and 1-2 rootlets coming out of it,rest of the root system all rotten. It arrived like this unfortunately but i ground planted it anyway as i think its best to grow a root system adapted to the conditions its gonna grow at and i have had success with similar cases in the past. It does take them around 3 years before they start growing at a normal speed again though,so i wouldnt select such a specimen intentionally. Lets see when this one starts growing again and how big leafs it produces!

IMG_4783a_zpsc830fade.jpg

Rhopalostylis baueri var. cheesemani

IMG_4785a_zpsc384a43a.jpg

Musa 'Orinoco'

IMG_4789a_zpsd83c4627.jpg

Livistona mariae

IMG_4786a_zpsa549a2f7.jpg

Pritchardia schattaueri

IMG_4788a_zps709356a9.jpg

Musa 'Pisang Ceylon'

IMG_4800a_zpsdf60e3e7.jpg

IMG_4801a_zps1449a5e6.jpg

IMG_4803a_zpsa2d5f2bc.jpg

Very nice Kosta! I like the tropical look of the musas :greenthumb: I hope my musas will get at least half as high as your M. ´Kandrian´.

My musa basjoo and musa sikkimensis I planted out in my parents´ garden still need to wake up properly, after the long winter and cool spring here in Germany. They are approximately 1 m high and push out their 4th leaf or so... <_<

Thank you Janni! :)

Bananas are nice indeed,if only they didnt get their leafs burnt in winter...They also need thinning one to three times a year which takes a good deal of time and effort. But they do look awesome as you said,when in leaf and growing and each mat should be giving me a bunch per year,so they outweigh their negatives!!!

Wish you good and fast growth with yours and to see them huge soon!!!!

Continuing with the update,here is a Hedyscepe canterburyana planted a month ago! :)

IMG_4790a_zpse21fb0c3.jpg

Howea fosteriana

IMG_4791a_zps6bd9d2f7.jpg

Looking at the back corner of the garden,from right to left we have Howea fosteriana,Rhopalostylis baueri var. cheesemani,Castanospermum australe,Lepidozamia hopei(flushing!),Schefflera actinophylla,Philodendron bipinnatifidum,Ziziphus sp.(to be removed at some point as its deciduous and plants beneath it dont like that)

IMG_4792a_zpsd5e9873f.jpg

IMG_4794a_zpsd3c49382.jpg

Philodendron bipinnatifidum

IMG_4793a_zps284e43df.jpg

Cryosophila warcewiczii

IMG_4796a_zpse521a3a8.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

IMG_4795a_zps827e7d59.jpg

Howea fosteriana

IMG_4798a_zps78d5cfba.jpg

Hedyscepe canterburyana

IMG_4797a_zps60067a9c.jpg

Cibotium glaucum and Prestoea acuminata var. montana

IMG_4808a_zpsc9b05678.jpg

IMG_4807a_zpsa31963de.jpg

A new Caledonian seedling planted more than a year ago. Didnt think this still existed till i ''rediscovered'' it a month ago,wanting to plant a Hedyscepe at that location....It seems to be doing well actually and i am very pleased i found it! Its probably an Actinokentia divaricata but dont remember for sure...

IMG_4804a_zpsd4bfe972.jpg

Ceratozamia miqueliana flushing for its second time this year! :)

IMG_4806a_zps64b6963f.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookeri)

IMG_4809a_zps15ffb4af.jpg

Prestoea acuminata var. montana

IMG_4810a_zps5c4106cb.jpg

Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco)

IMG_4805a_zpsf1e2159a.jpg

IMG_4820a_zps51b4696f.jpg

Stangeria eriopus(Forest Form)

IMG_4811a_zpsf14354d8.jpg

Monstera deliciosa and Lepidozamia hopei

IMG_4821a_zps050ce5a3.jpg

Werauhia sanguinolenta and Stanhopea tigrina

IMG_4817a_zpse9add347.jpg

One of the Aspasia lunata seedlings tied 1,5years ago! The majority of them are still doing well to this day!

IMG_4819a_zps9c76ec57.jpg

Guzmania sanguinea with Nanodes medusae and Acineta superba

IMG_4818a_zpsf2f546f9.jpg

Sedirea japonica flowering!!! I cross pollinated them and i am expecting seedpods! :)

IMG_4814a_zpse9d56ae5.jpg

IMG_4815a_zps082b5c0f.jpg

IMG_4816a_zps450f91d4.jpg

Various epiphytes on my Olea europea tree...

IMG_4812a_zps81d613f1.jpg

View towards the olive tree...

IMG_4847a_zpsd361578e.jpg

Dictyosperma album var. rubrum,Alcantarea imperialis and Monstera deliciosa

IMG_4844a_zps32f350e8.jpg

IMG_4836a_zpsca3f818b.jpg

Monstera deliciosa at the base of Castanospermum australe

IMG_4837a_zps4bfe36f6.jpg

Castanospermum australe canopy

IMG_4840a_zps2504ee1d.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

IMG_4845a_zps11642385.jpg

Philodendron bipinnatifidum and Ceroxylon amazonicum

IMG_4839a_zps2cda0104.jpg

Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco)

IMG_4829a_zpsefcc6cda.jpg

IMG_4831a_zpse87dddb6.jpg

IMG_4830a_zpsec205d47.jpg

Pritchardia schattaueri

IMG_4841a_zpsbf8112bc.jpg

IMG_4855a_zps4dfdf549.jpg

View to the olive tree

IMG_4856a_zps4248a4fb.jpg

Garden floor with Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookeri) trying to recover from damage sustained about a year ago coupled with snail damage in winter(lost its whole newest leaf blade to them).I hope it recovers...

IMG_4842a_zps4a992913.jpg

Cyphophoenix alba! :)

IMG_4828a_zps67ab18a5.jpg

Alocasia odora flowering. This one is always eager to flower and even made seeds last fall but has never grown huge leafs and always get snail damage in winter. I will try to alter the conditions to its likings but if it still remains 1,5m tall,i will move it.

IMG_4854a_zps340fae6b.jpg

Monstera deliciosa

IMG_4853a_zpsc6fe4c4d.jpg

Cryosophila warcewiczii

IMG_4849a_zps80661605.jpg

A nice,self-sown Asparangus plumosus! I like it and i will leave it climb my Archontophoenix.

IMG_4857a_zps99e95526.jpg

Cycas multipinnata

IMG_4832a_zpsa5fc26a2.jpg

Another Cyphophoenix alba! Both of them look better than when i got them and i am very happy for that!

IMG_4833a_zps8e2c94c1.jpg

Newly planted Pritchardia schattaueri

IMG_4834a_zps7da80448.jpg

Pritchardia schattaueri and Codiaeum variegatum

IMG_4843a_zpse9f92d51.jpg

Codiaeum variegatum. If anyone can ID what cultivar it is,please let me know! :)

IMG_4835a_zps5c682c3d.jpg

My biggest Ceroxylon amazonicum! :)

IMG_4846a_zps260d1be3.jpg

IMG_4827a_zps1b2ae8bd.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae

IMG_4850a_zps85c27b00.jpg

Its Magnolia grandiflora flowering season!

IMG_4851a_zps80523ee2.jpg

Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco) under the Magnolia

IMG_4848a_zps763dda21.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae got 2 new leafs and 2 more rings of trunk during the last month!

IMG_4744a_zps98e09489.jpg

Cycas revoluta(female) flushing!

IMG_4747a_zps1f6084ae.jpg

Musa 'Palayamkodan' awaiting for planting spot to be made...

IMG_4746a_zps59835b74.jpg

Various bananas,a cycad and a Coccothrinax alexandrii var. alexandrii awaiting for planting spots to be found or made...

IMG_4745a_zps891b0cdc.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis(Silver)

IMG_4748a_zps7358b073.jpg

IMG_4822a_zpse0f005f9.jpg

IMG_4823a_zps65712639.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana finally trunking! Its first above ground ring of trunk is partially revealed behind a split living leaf sheath! Callistemon laevis and Howea fosteriana visible beside it

IMG_4757a_zps956127dd.jpg

These were all the photos i took and show some of the plants of the garden. They all have quite some growing to do before they look like something!

Hope you liked it! :)

Thank you Ante! :) The damaged Howea's are mostly sun damaged. Even during bad winters,frost burn is pretty minimal on Howea for me and not disfiguring like sun burn is. The Howea's stand the sun fine till 35C,anything above starts burning them. Last summer they saw 40'sC a few times which is rare for Pyrgos. It was the hottest summer of the last 5years(the meteo station has only been set the 5years ago). All Howea's have grown quite a few leafs since last summer and are already looking good again,except the ones at the back as these are the newest ones and not yet established well enough in the ground. These have been extremely slow the past year but are slowly starting to gain speed now. Hopefully they will look good after one more year in the ground! :)

• 1 month later...

Last weekend i went to Pyrgos and did some more garden work! Groundplanted my 2 Sabal domingensis(or S. causiarum,remains to be seen),transplanted a Parajubaea cocoides seedling and a Zamia standleyi,planted a Mangifera indica seedling of 'Gulab Khas' parentage as well as a Coccothrinax alexandrii var. alexandrii i had laying around too long but was still fine. So now i got 2 Coccothrinax alexandrii var. alexandrii in the ground and hopefully more will follow once i make the patios at the side of the house and front. I also did some irrigations maintenance and found at least 60% of the drippers were severely to totally clogged,which means the plants have been fending in this heat on their own...Fortunately most were fine and just a little stressed,without damage. Only the potted bananas werent too happy,especially the ones with totally clogged drippers. Should recover fine though now that i moved them in the garden,between the plants to be getting more shade,less heat and more frequent irrigation! :)

Things had grown surprizingly fast since last time i was there,especially the bigger ones! Here are some pictures my mother took while i was working in the garden,didnt have time for photos myself! She missed out on some recent plantings and cycad flushes but...next time!

Female Cycas revoluta with its newest finished flush!

IMG_4893a_zpsc7d202bc.jpg

Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco) under Magnolia grandiflora

IMG_4908a_zpsd2be9965.jpg

Dioon spinulossum finishing its flush and Pritchardia schattauerii showing some good growth since last time

IMG_4911a_zpsc53534d0.jpg

Another Dioon spinulossum flushing and another Pritchardia schattauerii next to my biggest Ceroxylon amazonicum

IMG_4909a_zpsffee8315.jpg

My biggest Ceroxylon amazonicum,now stands 1,5m tall :)

IMG_4910a_zpsb721efd9.jpg

My biggest Monstera deliciosa next to epiphyte laden olive tree

IMG_4912a_zps2d989885.jpg

A view behind my olive tree. The newest leaf of my Ceratozamia miqueliana is visible,quite big and wide! :drool: First perfect leaf in years,it had been flushing in winter mostly and hail was damaging its flushes,deforming them greatly

IMG_4913a_zpsf99a094f.jpg

A view of the back of the garden. A little behind that red pot and to its immediate left,i planted one of the Sabal domingensis. The dark green,almost black leafs seen immediately to the left of the pot between the Grevillea robusta leafs,is the Sabal.

IMG_4899a_zps63ba95cf.jpg

Grevillea robusta's trunk with Rhaphidophora decursiva climbing it! It just grew its first biggish new leaf and i am very excited! :) I am trying to find to find a second,unrelated plant of this species but its been quite hard so far,if you are growing it too,please pm me!

IMG_4900a_zps489757ef.jpg

Musa 'Kandrian' fruiting! :)

IMG_4896a_zps60c28eb4.jpg

IMG_4897a_zps7077e57c.jpg

IMG_4898a_zpsa6b932b2.jpg

The second newly planted Sabal domingensis!

IMG_4901a_zps1ccac5dc.jpg

Stangeria eriopus(Forest Form)

IMG_4902a_zps2a672884.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii,the angle doesnt do it justice!

IMG_4903a_zpsdf3ea6e0.jpg

My smaller Washingtonia robusta(Sonora). It just took off,no comparison with the last time really! Its leafs reach 4meters up easy now! Just crazy!

IMG_4904a_zps8e1de90d.jpg

Male Cycas revoluta coning in front of my Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

IMG_4906a_zps2065fe9b.jpg

IMG_4905a_zps105cd1c7.jpg

Callistemon laevis,Syagrus romanzoffiana and Howea fosteriana

IMG_4907a_zps17d88991.jpg

My seed grown Bismarckia nobilis(Silver),now taller than me! :)

IMG_4895a_zps0c032cf2.jpg

IMG_4894a_zps7e202ae8.jpg

I hope you liked it!!! :)

Great shots. Did you ever get to try a tall type coconut like you were wanting to try?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thank you very much for your comments,its always great to hear them! :)

Thanks Ante,its growing very fast and should get some good size on it this year. Hopefully it may start trunking in 2 more years! :)

Thank you very much George,i am glad you enjoy my updates! :) Your plants are awesome!!!

Thank you Keith,i will pass the compliments for the last photos to my mother! :) I still havent tried a tall type coconut in Pyrgos as i was planning to do so in my front yard which faces south and i havent gotten around to making the patios there yet. I have lots of plants waiting for those front and side patios here for quite some time! Unfortunately i have no coconut either as i lost the one i brought from Key West 2 winters ago,when i left it out too long apparently at my main home in Melissia :( Sudden browning and death afterwards,it probably got too cold the night prior to bringing it in for the winter or it was the consistent cool weather,dont know...Melissia are quite different from Pyrgos and get consistently cold in winter,not nice at all for a tropical palm lover or for the tropical palm itself if not brought in in time!!! Hope to move somewhere closer to the sea or to Pyrgos if possible as soon as i finish my University studies!!!!

When i finish the front and side patios and do the majority of the planting there,i will start trying tall type coconuts in some sandy areas i am gonna make there :) And i will probably need your help in locating them then,seems like mostly dwarfs are grown unfortunately!

• Upvote 1

Good luck making the patios! PM me when you want me to try to get you a tall type coconut, as the tree in my profile pic is a pure Jamaican tall and it's planted within 15 feet of another pure Jamaican tall, so any coconuts from them are likely to be pure. I've so far been able to get 5 viable coconuts from them, 3 a few years ago and 2 more when I went a week ago. All 3 sprouted last time, so if both coconuts sprout this time, I'll know that getting 100% germination wasn't a fluke and I can try to get some more coconuts from the tree to ship one to you. Alternatively, Hawaii has many tall types so it might be worthwhile to try sourcing one from there.

Keith 

Thanks a lot Keith! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I keep reading repeatedly in this thread about a Washingtonia robusta called additionally 'Sonora'. To tell you the truth I have google-searched briefly and found nothing about an official separate variety or provenance status within the robusta referring to Sonora. (It's just one place with natural stands beside lower Baja California). Could you please suggest some references?

I keep reading repeatedly in this thread about a Washingtonia robusta called additionally 'Sonora'. To tell you the truth I have google-searched briefly and found nothing about an official separate variety or provenance status within the robusta referring to Sonora. (It's just one place with natural stands beside lower Baja California). Could you please suggest some references?

It's a place with natural strands where filfera isn't present, so they're supposed to be more ensured that they aren't hybrids.

Keith 

Hello Kostas,

I really like your garden! That Archontophoenix and Bizzy is stunning.

Are all these palms able to survive the winter in Athens without winter protection or you have to cover it?

Kindest regards

Andrew

Ondra

Prague, Czech Republic

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_metric_

Amazing growth over the years.that canopy will help to be sure.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Great garden kostas, nice species selection for your climate. Your canopy and windbreak will keep the placer warmer in winter, its all growing in. I will be very interested to see the future growth of your garden. :greenthumb: Happy growing...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank