IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden in Pyrgos...

Kostas

Another Cyclamen hederifolium(native) along with another native plant i have IDed yet

IMG_3211a.jpg

Cryosophila warcewicziismilie.gif

IMG_3207a.jpg

Potted Castanospermum australe and Pritchardia schattaueri waiting to be planted!

IMG_3198a.jpg

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Zamia hamannii

IMG_3199a.jpg

Howea fosteriana and newly planted Lycaste lasioglossa visible behind it!smilie.gif

IMG_3197a.jpg

IMG_3200a.jpg

IMG_3202a.jpg

Another newly planted Lycaste lasioglossa next to a Ceroxylon amazonicumsmilie.gif

IMG_3196a.jpg

Musa ''Utafan'' and potted Howea fosteriana

IMG_3203a.jpg

IMG_3205a.jpg

Castanospermum australe

IMG_3206a.jpg

Musa ''Orinoco Tall''

IMG_3225a.jpg

Musa ''Sar''

IMG_3226a.jpg

IMG_3228a.jpg

A low angle overview of the garden behind the old bakery buildingsmilie.gif

IMG_3229a.jpg

Musa ''Kandrian''

IMG_3230a.jpg

IMG_3231a.jpg

IMG_3233a.jpg

Caryota maxima(Himalaya)

IMG_3223a.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis(Silver)

IMG_3221a.jpg

IMG_3222a.jpg

Stangeria eriopus(Forest Form) flushing!

IMG_3235a.jpg

IMG_3237a.jpg

That was it! I hope you liked it!!! smilie.gif

• 1 month later...

Time for an update!smilie.gif

Here are a few pictures i took on December 11th!smilie.gif

Howea fosteriana and Archontophoenix alexandrae

a6442240.jpg

28f5e926.jpg

1f48152c.jpg

Kentiopsis magnifica

2a47fa15.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana and Howea fosteriana

acf7a722.jpg

90d24437.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookerii)

f4868ee8.jpg

Arisarum vulgare. This one is a native aroid i finally managed to ID with the help of a Greek botanistsmilie.gif

73cc25ba.jpg

020e5480.jpg

53024934.jpg

Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

97886eab.jpg

Normanbya normanbyi

1829494c.jpg

Cycas micronesica(Rota)

6861d488.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

9aae434b.jpg

Cycas micronesica(Rota)

1d2d0361.jpg

Caryota maxima(Himalaya)

ac88140e.jpg

Musa sp. ''Kandrian''

e3dee116.jpg

Kentiopsis oliviformis

20c627f7.jpg

Musa sp. ''Sar''

00f29958.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

f538a9e8.jpg

Cycas micronesica(Rota)

c785afa7.jpg

Cycas micronesica(Rota)

4f53569c.jpg

Howea fosteriana and Dioon spinulossum

IMG_0471.jpg

Dioon spinulossum

IMG_0470.jpg

Musa sp. ''Utafan''

IMG_0472.jpg

Howea fosteriana and Lycaste lasioglossa

IMG_0473.jpg

Lycaste lasioglossa,Ceroxylon amazonicum,Arum italicum(native) and Zamia hamannii

IMG_0474.jpg

Zamia hamannii

IMG_0475.jpg

Cryosophila warcewiczii

IMG_0476.jpg

Ceratozamia miqueliana

IMG_0477.jpg

Hyophorbe indica(Southern) and Cycas multipinnata

777b577e.jpg

Olea europea with epiphytes

IMG_0478.jpg

Monstera deliciosa

885c4cf6.jpg

Prosthechea cochleata

7a8a53b5.jpg

Stanhopea tigrina

f5bbd7ce.jpg

Leptotes bicolor and Zamia pseudoparasitica

63d38a63.jpg

Stanhopea tigrina,Leptotes bicolor,Zamia pseudoparasitica and Prosthechea cochleata

IMG_0481.jpg

Prosthechea cochleata

378d7dd9.jpg

9c99cd0f.jpg

Leptotes bicolor

IMG_0469.jpg

Leptotes bicolor and Sedirea japonica

IMG_0484.jpg

Sedirea japonica

2d73356a.jpg

I added another microsprinkler higher up for the Sedirea japonica as i mounted it higher up the tree than any other of my orchids so far and wasnt covered by the other microsprinklerssmilie.gif

IMG_0483.jpg

Astrocaryum standleyanum

c3fef251.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum. Its spear is taller than 1,20mdrool.gif

IMG_0479.jpg

Another Ceroxylon amazonicum. This one has been recovering for quite a while now but seems to be getting stronger. The high humidity and frequent rains surely help it! smilie.gif

IMG_0482.jpg

These were all the photos from December 11th. I will be posting some updated photos from the 1st of 2012 very soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello !

Your plants are great , congratulations ! I spend 2 hours looking what you have done there ! i believed that i was the only one being crazy about palms in Greece , i still can't believe that there is another palm lover & lives within 13 km ! My house is in Katakolo 50 m from the sea ! You have lot of palm species there & several which i don't have even try & surprisingly doing well ! I have read that you living in Athens and you visit your garden in Pirgos the weekends and i 'd like to inform you that the following monday we will have very low temperatures all day long and bellow zero at night , so the more tender plants will need some protection !

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

Hello Dimitris!

Its great to see there is another palm lover close to Pyrgos! I pass by Katakolo many times for a nice car drive on the beach or a walk. I probably have seen your house without knowing!smilie.gif

Thank you very much for the heads up for the weather! I very much appreciate your concern and first hand weather info! I am following the weather there with the meteorological station in Pyrgos which is very close to my house and in a similar microclimate,maybe a little colder than me. That Monday you said,the station recorded -0.4C as a night minimum and is the first below 0C temperature for this winter. Due to living so far from my garden,but also to make my life easier,my approach is to not protect my plants there unless there is a size or acclimation goal i am trying to achieve before leaving them on their own. Right now,i dont have any such project running and everything is supposed to survive on its own...and they do,at least most of them!smilie.gif I always plant a few gamble plants and see how they fare through the winter at my garden but so far,the plants that survive a winter at my garden,survive all subsequent winters fine. A strange winter was last year when from high temperatures daily(25C) the temperature got down to -0.1C just 2 days after. That was damaging but again,all the plants that survived the previous winter,survived that one as well without being affected too much. The real test will come sometime in the future,when the once in 20years record cold will hit again along with a little snowfall. I am sure the snow wont do much but i am afraid to see what -3.6C can do to my garden..... And i doubt i will be there when it happens to protect the tender ones to assure i have them another 20years....On the other hand,everything will be much bigger 15years down the road and they may build their cold hardiness enough to survive the few hours below 0C and the brief low of -3.6C,which is the record low for my area so farsmilie.gif

I would love to see what you are growing at your garden in Katakolo and i am sure other members would love that as well! Open up a thread for your garden if you wish and load it with pictures for all of us to enjoy! I know i never get tired of looking at palm photos and when these show palms that actually live nearby ,so much the better!!!drool.gif

That 's a good idea but i usually take pictures using my mobiles phone camera and those have low resolution ! I could take some photos now using my digital camera but at this time of the year almost all my potted plant's are indoors with some exceptions and some of the ground planted are covered for protection , i don 't even tell in what condition is my lawn , i have thoughts on removing it so i haven't take care of it for months !

Anyway , i 'll give a try and will see ...

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

See,your garden was really enjoyed by all of us Dimitris! :) Thank you very much for sharing your photos with us!

And now,the photo update i promised you! :) The photos were taken during the 1s and 2nd of 2012,some from me and some from a friend who was staying with us for the vacations!

Howea fosteriana leaf

DSC03882a.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae

DSCN1921a.jpg

Female Cycas revoluta

DSC03887a.jpg

Magnolia grandiflora with 2 Zamia standleyi and a Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco) underneath

DSC03897a.jpg

Ceratozamia miqueliana recovering...When it flushes again hopefully,the majority of its recovery will have been completed,its just missing good new leafs...Its latest flush was destroyed from sun overheated mulch touching it...

DSC03899a.jpg

Acanthophoenix rubra,reaching 1,5m tall now and growingdrool.gif

DSC03898a.jpg

Kerriodoxa elegans smilie.gif

DSCN1927a.jpg

Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco)

DSCN1926a.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum on a long recovery process which is going well...

DSC03912a.jpg

My biggest Ceroxylon amazonicum at 1,2m tall,opening a new leafdrool.gif

DSC03913a.jpg

Hyophorbe indica(Southern)smilie.gif

DSC03901a.jpg

Another Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco)

DSC03906a.jpg

Ceratozamia miqueliana

DSCN1924a.jpg

Everything looks great especially your Acanthophoenix ! Nice to see plants like those growing in Greece !

Western Greece zone 9b

Thanks for your kind comments Dimitris!smilie.gif Not everything looks perfect now as some of my plants are recovering from various things but they should all eventually recover and look perfect!smilie.gif

Cryosophila warcewiczii

DSC03905a.jpg

DSCN1923a.jpg

Yet another Chamaedorea tepejilote(Blanco)!

DSC03907a.jpg

Cibotium glaucum recovering after being left unirrigated for 2 weeks the past September due to power cut from the irrigation computer...Its soil was bone dry when i found it...

DSC03902a.jpg

Howea fosteriana sun burned from its sun acclimation the past months,when i hadnt decided on its planting spot. It should grow a new,adjusted leaf canopy within two years and look perfect ever after in its permanent, shady position smilie.gif Lycaste lasioglossa orchids can be seen in front of and behind it!

DSC03904a.jpg

Thank you very much for your kind comments Damir! :) I am glad you liked it!

Another acclimating Howea fosteriana. This one is recovering and progressing real well now and it has definitely gained growing speed! It recently opened its first leaf since ground planting it in summer and already has grown a good sized spear,a big progress if you take into account that it pushed its first,already 3/4 grown spear all summer and fall to open it in winter...I think its already establishing for good in the ground and should look much better soon! smilie.gif

DSC03903a.jpg

Grevilea robusta,Dicksonia antarctica and Musa sp.''Kandrian''

DSC03893a.jpg

Musa sp. ''Kandrian''

DSC03892a.jpg

Cycas micronesica(Rota)

DSC03891a.jpg

Stangeria eriopus ''Forest Form'' and Zamia standleyi

DSC03894a.jpg

Normanbya normanbyi

DSC03895a.jpg

Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

DSC03896a.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis(Silver)

DSCN1920a.jpg

DSCN1919a.jpg

My bigger Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

DSC03881a.jpg

Male Cycas revoluta

DSCN1929a.jpg

Coccothrinax alexandrii var. alexandrii waiting for a new patio to be opened and prepared to get ground planted!smilie.gif

DSC03888a.jpg

My potted bananas are also waiting for that and other patios to be opened and prepared...hopefully soon...

DSC03884a.jpg

Uff! Wooooow! My goodness, Kostas - do you need a compass to find a way out of your garden? :D How many palm species you are growing? How large is the area of your gardin? Unbelievable! Have 3 favourites found:

Acanthophoenix rubra

Howea fosteriana

and the beautiful Cycas - what a plant.

Well done, much succes for the next coming centuries. :)

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Thank you very much for your kind words Verena!smilie.gif I am glad you like my garden!

Unfortunately,my garden is too small to need a compass for navigation,its all around an old building and along the walkways so you cant get lost in it, even if you want to! The good thing is however that now the plants have grown enough that there are places in my garden where you can go and not be noticed by anyone passing just a few feet away! Also,now,a person at the back part of the garden,cant always hear when others call as the sound gets greatly filtered through the vegetation to the point its barely audible,if at all sometimes! This wasnt the case even just a year before!

I am currently growing more than 112 plants of 62 different species and varieties,belonging to 53 different genus,in my Pyrgos garden. Palms comprise 21 of the 62 species i am growing in Pyrgos and more will be added in the near future!smilie.gif

As for the size of my planting area,from a rough calculation,it must be less than 100sqm in total unfortunately...

I am glad you found some favorites among my plants! I know you too are growing successfully the first 2 of the species you mentioned,and very likely the third as well,so you are enjoying them first hand too!smilie.gif

Thank you very very much for your wish Verena! I hope they grow well and thrive in my garden long termsmilie.gif

And last,i kept a few shots from the veranda that is getting very palmy as the palms growsmilie.gif

DSC03880a.jpg

DSC03878a.jpg

DSC03879a.jpg