IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden in Pyrgos...

Kostas

Neoregelia joannis flowering!

C5AE9F28-C9A4-4045-BF12-0B1FC5726EA7.jpg

26BFD3E4-371A-412C-A5FE-F3F328D20145.jpg

• Upvote 6

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Γεια σου Κώστα,

nice pictures. It looks like the Kentias recovered fully from last years freeze damage, is that right? I alwys thought they grow slower. At least, they are by far the slowest grower of all my potted palms.

Best wishes

Γεια σου Γιάννη!

I lost one Kentia to that freeze two winters ago, from rot setting in the spring after the cold event. 

Another Kentia wasn't even bothered by the freeze, so that is of course great looking

The Kentia you see in the photo was quite damaged but retained 30% of its photosynthetic material, mostly older leafs though. It was a bit set back but the latest leafs are all full size again(4m), so doing great. It has about 10+cm of visible trunk and growing fast. It still needs upwards of two years to fully replace its canopy and shed all damaged leafs. Right now it has less than 1/3 of its normal amount of leafs. The rest are reduced to green leaf bases. It's looking nice again though.

Another Kentia right by the previous one, was quite damaged and set back, producing smaller leafs than normal and being slower. It's on it's way to full recovery though as the leafs are getting bigger fast and should soon be back on track. 

The last Kentia to mention was defoliated but has been very slowly and steadily growing new leafs as its in shade. Its also on its was to full recovery.

Kentias grow at a good pace in the ground here with some sun, water and full canopy of leafs. Recovery from damage is slower than normal growth 

Best regards,

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all :)

Sorry for being away so long but wonderful things happened in my life in the meantime. I met my love and other half and have been together since :) 

At the same time, due to certain other family matters, I have not been able to visit my garden in Pyrgos for almost 2 years now. Thankfully, irrigation works and has been periodically maintained as the pump broke down a couple times.... The climate is wet enough to keep things alive even without irrigation and this helped too.

I will start with the sad news:

My Bismarckia is no more, possibly due to malignant herbicide use to kill it. It dried up for no reason and did not rot.  

My parents removed my Musa sp. “Kandrian” that I very much liked(9m tall....) as well as my very tall Grevillea robusta. The least I can say is I didn’t like any of this and was never asked about it so that I could act accordingly. 

I didn’t plant anything new so I don’t expect any new winter losses. Everything has been tested so far. 

The good news are, most things are alive and doing ok and Archontophoenix alexandrae has been flowering since last fall :) Hope for some fruit set soon.

Our Beccariophoenix alfredii are getting quite big also.

This garden will continue to be lightly maintained. Due to family and neighbor matters, and the fact we are not going to live in Pyrgos any more than we currently are, I am not going to invest in it anymore than I am currently. We have started a temporary garden with my girl in Glifada, Athens where we currently reside, a 9b/10a climate as well, and are growing up our plants there in preparation for getting our own roperty in a couple of years. At that point we will slowly move from Pyrgos what we think will fare better in our new garden in Athens and leave behind everything that can fend for it’s own or live with minimal maintainance, which is actually most things in the garden and certainly all palms with trunk. We will only take seeds of those at some point.

These are our news and I am very happy for them. I love my girl more than anything and gardening together is a pleasure no gardening alone could ever offer on any place of the earth :)

9F6DF47A-B567-48AC-859E-761E00C649FF.jpeg

8FC65D34-9285-4F6B-9AF2-9EBF59163979.jpeg

A0BD8F22-B072-4F77-90AA-4FD34DC9F9FC.jpeg

1665E26E-647D-4886-A50E-5551DD7C4DF4.jpeg

156591AC-402C-4081-B052-889651DCE653.jpeg

F9AE8FE9-2450-4D7A-8EC1-5CCDE43DEC55.jpeg

140E1650-E0E3-49FF-86B6-A83F8F2B6D8F.jpeg

7F2130A0-CD8F-48CF-A83C-9ADA2A272002.jpeg

BE40245F-E9CB-43B0-993F-A2D1F1C26243.jpeg

91B2E869-064B-4E29-9E90-A8ED71F6043B.jpeg

07ED3856-6588-42D5-BACC-B22C97CB5B89.jpeg

C2E99332-8875-40A5-9F0A-D1EE183C2B5B.jpeg

65845E7D-780A-44CA-B271-63F85A4CB60D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Good to have you back. What about Dioon Spinulosum? I remember you got one in the back of your yard.

I got 4 in the backyard(or more?), no idea how they are but they should be fine. My folks took the pictures, i still havent visited the place

• 1 year later...

Hi Kostas. Nice to see how your garden evolved in all this years. It was a pleasure to meet you and Konstantino in 2016.

• Like 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 5 months later...

Hi Kostas

I hope everything is going good for you. Any updates from your garden?