IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden in Pyrgos...

Kostas

What about the big Reinhardtia? Freeze events in Europe are far more destructive than the equivalent cold spells in California...I wonder why!

Thanks for the encouragement Rafael :) Right now the look is still a bit disheartening with a few exceptions(Bismarckia :) ),I am looking forward to the garden becoming pleasant to look at again

The big Reinhardtia survived and is growing two green spears. I think the bigger one was opening last time i was there.
The small Reinhardtia died of bud rot.

Forgot to mention that i lost my biggest Cyphophoenix alba to bud rot as well while it didn't damage too much from the cold. My other C. alba are fine and one of them opened a new leaf already

This was the year of the bud rots, everything i lost pretty much died of bud rot and not directly the cold, which they did survive...

Thankfully both of my Chambeyronia survived and are pushing, as did all Kentiopsis oliviformis, even though the Kentiopsis were fresh from Florida and in the ground since late summer

I compare the damage of my brief freeze events to Florida ones, as the freeze most always catches my plants in full growth mode, with 20- 25C weather preceding the single freeze event, and the freeze only happens during the coldest of the night, right before sunrise. Then temperature rises above 10C fast.
This time, a week of coolish temperatures and cold night winds preceded the freeze, but right before that, temperatures were in the 20-25C range and the palms happy. My Archontophoenix had added 10cm of trunk girth that month alone.
Freezes while plants are in growing mode make for quite a bit more damage even though the event is of very short duration. But usually such freezes are easier for the plants to survive even if temperature falls quite low, simply because the important plant tissues(trunk and meristem) don't get cooled down to those temperatures thanks to the short duration. Thin palms like Chamaedorea would be more in trouble than Archontophoenix or a Roystonea.
But still, I got excessive foliar damage on palms I shouldn't, like Parajubea cocoides(30% damage) and Howea(20-90%, canopy did wonders for those under it). A single Howea leaf held its own, fully exposed, and remained undamaged while others fried! No idea why. My thermometer recorded -3C, a first for the garden and 0.6C above the record low of the last 20years. I need to work more on my canopy, its filling too slow. I will replace a deciduous tree that is the source of lots of winter damage to tender stuff beneath, and i will plant one more avocado tree at the north side of the property to slow down the cooling on those single freeze nights

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

I got a couple of bud rot cases too, but mainly spear pull on some juvenille palms, which recovered finely so far.

The way cold damage revealed was, this winter, strange, as i mentioned before.

Several nights between 2/-2C as minimum and no visible damage. Than, suddendly, another one, with cold and dry wind. The next morning the damage was immediately visible on the most exposed archontophoenix leaves and some days later on a couple of more juvenille and recently planted palms.

I have replaced some stuff and planted some new palms, between them some queens, to provide canopy, in a couple of years, off course.

This european winter was hard, strangely hard...and hardely strange...

I have had bad luck with spear pulls and usually it progresses to rot the whole palm for me no matter what i do. Good to hear yours survived that and most palms escaped damage! :)

I am mostly using trees for canopy as palm canopy gets lost the taller they grow, and works mostly when using a single species or species with very similar growth rate. Otherwise the canopy gets broken up. Its pretty slow to establish a tree canopy of nice species though as they grow and spread slowly....even palms grow faster from most rainforest tree species, which may defeat the purpose if its the sun you need to protect the palms from. But for cold protection, they should work fine as the taller the palms get, the warmer the air during radiational freezes, so there is not much problem if they emerge from the canopy. And the canopy keeps the warmth trapped for the more sensitive species and small palms. But it needs to be closed canopy to do that more efficiently

Yes, this was a strange winter indeed, and a hard one in the area my garden is, while it wasn't as hard in Athens. It didn't get anywhere close to record lows there and even though the number of freeze events was unusually high, the duration was relatively short for the area. I think we both got cold cause it was one of the few times cold was coming from the West instead of the East, from where we are shielded by mountain ranges. And then come night, it was easy to dip to below 0C in the early morning hours from sheer heat loss...

• 1 month later...

Went to Pyrgos about a week ago and found things either much better looking and in their way to recovery, or very dead...

I had some more loses than were apparent last time, some expected but some not at all:

1 Howea forsteriana((!) appeared to be recovering but was now mush. My 5 other Howea are recovering but still put out fungus damaged new leafs)

1 Rhopalostylis baueri(Cheesemanni)(was severely burnt but recovering but is now mush. My 2 others are almost undamaged and like nothing happened)

1 Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookeri)(same as above. Another is doing fine)

All Hedyscepe are mush while they were recovering

Dictyosperma album v. rubrum is also mush but this one had spear pulled and I knew it would most probably not make it

2 Cyphophoenix alba are mush while they grew fast immediately after the freeze event. My third one is fine

That's it. A short but painful list as they were very nice plants

On the positive side, Ravenea krociana were undamaged from the cold and Bentickia condapanna lived to tell the story with minimal damage! My small Acanthophoenix rubra was also undamaged.

A nice surprise I saw this time was an Alagoptera caudescence(clustered leaflefta form) that had spear pulled, was putting out a healthy new spear even though dogs and chickens(...) had burried and defoliated it. I uncovered and protected with wire fencing to help wth recovery. My other A. caudescence are perfect and doing great.

Even after this devastating winter, some parts of the garden are starting to look decent again! The new flushes on the Dioon helped some as well!

19907569740_57babaa533_b.jpgPyrgos Garden by Konstantinos Giannopoulos, on Flickr

Your garden is looking pretty cool! I see a Pritchardia schattaueri that's recovering well in the picture.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thank you Keith! There is still lots of damage everywhere and the losses made for a setback, but at least things are starting to gain some height and should look pretty good after recovery :)

The Pritchardia schattaueri you see is my bigger one of three, all of which are recovering with a vengeance after winter! This bigger one only has about 40% damage, the brown you see are just the damaged leaf part that are hanging down from the live portions. The very newest leaf grew stunted for some reason(probably the winter cold) although the one that grew immediately after winter was normal size, but hopefully the next ones will be bigger again

Some more photos:

Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) with more than 2m of clear trunk below the oldest green leaf bases. Only 6,5-7 years old from seed, looking forward to see it tower above the house!

C481D953-C6EB-48D1-BA25-7D377E379450.jpg

See the walkway leading to it? I am gonna have a patio made all along the fence, continuing the patio its growing out of. Plus, I need to widen its 70cm wide patio as its base filled it all and has already broken the decorative tile edging :)

Howea forsteriana on its long way to recovery. This one took quite a beating compared to my orhers(even the one that does looked better before turning to mush) for no reason I can think of. It's still putting out fungus damaged leafs but recovering. On its third leaf now since winter.

The trunk of my Syagrus romanzoffiana can be seen to its left

A9BF5AB4-CC20-4E56-8F71-453F0F5E3723.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana canopy. My oldest seed grown palm that I have. Some other older palms I had grown from seed I gave away earlier and others I planted in private properties and are still thriving, but this one I still have myself! Hope to see it flowering in 1-2 years

B37FFB97-60F6-4702-B3A9-8F3D660E1589.jpg

Dypsis lastelliana is on its way to recovery as well and my recently planted Cycas micronesica(Rota) just finished flushing

75D10E9A-83F2-4794-A6A2-1B4A3D258827.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookeri) is slowly recovering from the cold while Neoregelia joannis almost didn't mind it at all...

8132B09C-85D7-4F3E-BD00-46746F689013.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii. This particular specimen remained undamaged. Another defoliated though but is recovering surprisingly well for a palm left only with a semidamaged spear. Even the very first leaf is excellent looking and the new spear is growing well

F20B994D-19AF-4D53-9022-6CF2F424F8A6.jpg

Nice to see comebacks Kostas. Robusta is "belive it or not" plant in every letter. Real rocket.

Thank you Ante! I actually did not expect that much damage with -3C, especially from certain species. Others faired surprizingly well though. Hope things make it when a record cold hits.

Yup, W. robusta are very fast with the shallow water table. They took only 3-3,5years from seed to start trunking!

Nice flush from one of my Cycas multipinnata :)

21E7FF87-33E0-487C-920D-67CB6A8BB73F.jpg

Acrocomia aculeata finally started growing fast! It's first leaf is very narrow and the emerging spear is quite thin, but if it keeps growing at this pace or faster, I guess it will fix real soon! The move from Florida set it back and was in suspended animation for 9months. It did not damage from -3C though, unless the stunted leaf is from the cold and not the move. Can't tell

6410251D-3354-4243-87A5-5E44DC529334.jpg

Attalea colenda and Stangeria eriopus(Forest form). They burnt some from winter but are coming back with vengeance. This is the first summer I am letter the Attalea exposed to sun and its adjusting very well. I will protect next winter to let it get some mass faster. The Stangeria burnt for its first time, always did great the past years

90E07253-4863-4F60-B7AC-DF7B7B217108.jpg

Sabal domingesis... This one got grazed a bit by the cold but is surprizingly fast growing and upsizes real fast. Should get to be big this year, it's already as tall as I am

4E1CFA0F-F243-4F33-AAF0-810FF6BDB4F6.jpg

A newly planted Persea americana(Guatemalan Form). It got huge in its pot within1,5years from seed and had to be ground planted immediately to not lose it or risk having circling roots. I spread the roots to help it establish a proper shaped root system. It's already 1,2m tall...

1132FA4E-6DA8-49BA-854C-296C9A2FB6C1.jpg

Newly planted Caryota gigas. This is after -3C plus summer sun with less than adequate watering. It will love it now I think and look forward to having huge leafs pierce the tree canopy above!

B620B450-7E14-45BC-93B0-761E1DA386F8.jpg

It looks a little stressed Kostas. Do you think it will grow ok?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Which one Mike? Caryota gigas? I think it will be ok and recover fully by winter. It is certainly stressed but healthy otherwise, roots ok and with a spear pushing. Once it gets 1 leaf out and roots well in the ground, it should be a rocket! The area is wet and should make good use of it! I think the leafs show it more stressed than it really is. When it arrived last winter, it was all yellow and with only 1 leaf, and that in so and so shape. It didn't like greenhouse growing too much for some reason. I reported to a bigger pot and started to green up and do better. It got little damage from the cold but probably did not like my high temperatures and summer sun while potted, coupled with underwatering. Hope it grows to be a beast soon! :)

Kostas how is bizi doing? mine bigger have some funghi problems, smaller are ok...

www.mediterraneannature.com

The Bismarckia is doing great, no damage and growing huge, fast! :)

They tend to get over any fungal problems a single spear might show after winter. Just keep them well watered, hot and happy

Photos from a week ago:

55D42812-00E2-4A07-BCB9-CA976D82E022.jpg

75FBBF8C-15A8-41D6-AB2E-C3FBBA84A2D9.jpg

The fencing is 1,5m tall...

• 1 month later...

Since i ended last update with Bismarckia, i might as well start the new one with it, for growth comparison :)

EEB3144B-66D3-4F1C-BD49-F64518F00FD4.jpg

Washingtonia robusta (Sonora) with my father for scale

DC0E774A-BFB4-4DEF-92D5-DF0457E8DC12.jpg

Some nice underplantings 

27EB61F8-C8A3-465A-8E1E-EF612F306E55_1.j

5DA7DB52-0A67-4DE9-911D-11F65044243C_1.j

39E88A29-8DA8-4F81-896E-E88B85EDF7F8.jpg

5C03DC0F-6B1B-4F7D-8210-635DAB6E32A7.jpg

Acanthophoenix rubra :)

88720771-AEA3-420D-9B9D-A8679F5780FC.jpg

Washingtonia robusta (Sonora)

0EE4CA82-24A4-45CA-8D67-0411652EDD71.jpg

Acrocomia aculeata

DE5450A6-B44C-4BA4-8324-4B0AED34DB68.jpg
B15BB614-49AD-4E86-AE9C-A9D640B36D5C.jpg

Pholidota is blooming

49BFDDD6-6EE5-4604-8205-86A5F24E8F39.jpg

22A0D269-2A99-453C-8437-18CFB5537686.jpg

BA47B8B6-EF0C-48E4-A448-0FA4E37B548B_1.j

098E64AA-C2A8-400F-B074-34B0D89784C8.jpg

6E88ECCB-E60D-4415-9046-C3A4FD4C129F.jpg

This year's bunch of Musa 'Kandrian', hanging at 6m above the ground...

4791907D-4FF2-41C7-9BEA-7434911CAA1B.jpg

A view from the veranda...

29DE2CBA-2823-45E5-8886-D8839857BC83.jpg

Great garden Kostas. The Beccariophoenix Afredii looks beautiful. Bismarckia is becoming a monster! I'm also very impressed with Acanthophoenix Rubra. I have to try one here in Cyprus.

Acrocomia should put on some size soon, seems to be opening 1 leaf per month now and should continue that for 1-2 more months, maybe more as we can have 25C till early December.

The Washingtonias are reaching for the sky with good speed, it will be nice when i can stop tying leafs away from the path and just let them fall off naturally. The old leaf bases are starting to come off relatively easily in good numbers now. I need to widen the patio around their bases as the trunk of the fattest one has reached both sides, which means its 70cm wide at the bottom now

My biggest Beccariophoenix alfredii is 1,20cm tall now and looks very much like a coconut(though nothing like the real thing! :) ). Bismarckia on the other hand is close to trunking, the leafs are not adult size yet but are 3,5m tall already. One more photo of it(excuse the mess, its been a very busy year):

C7124F7B-CC38-4D7B-9253-E4DE36F36ACA.jpg

Acanthophoenix rubra is a nice and easy palm once established. It likes filtered light with some sun and lots of water. Here is a photo after untangling the leaflets

C18C0D51-EC82-4A48-AB70-A912C50ABD91.jpg

I will be getting more of them

A few more photos from the garden

Rhoeo discolor, planted a few months ago after surviving -3C in a pot

759D2CFD-E468-43BE-ADD8-D9B5F2FE18FB.jpg

Livistona mariae

E1C93B10-2300-4F4A-96A2-3E5101AC06C4.jpg

Kentiopsis oliviformis growing out of the funk caused by the barefoot shipping....

CCD6ACF9-8455-4532-8ABA-D1582418CB8C.jpg

Some understory plants...

9C8DA26C-9775-42A5-8947-7CA80192514F.jpg

45440195-704D-4285-BD54-60F11F0BA44A.jpg

And a mid-canopy, local Musa cultivar of the Bluggoe subgroup, fruiting again

7107D850-0D99-4AA2-B5A6-A379D49ED04B.jpg

A few more photos of Pholidota's flowers

1399EA47-3626-4F5F-B0E1-6A44B3C364C8.jpg

F68DA23E-F295-4122-8615-6D0FB2F69E2A.jpg

4E517301-BA39-45C2-9898-DCF2B28996A1.jpg

Some more photos:

Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) with more than 2m of clear trunk below the oldest green leaf bases. Only 6,5-7 years old from seed, looking forward to see it tower above the house!

C481D953-C6EB-48D1-BA25-7D377E379450.jpg

See the walkway leading to it? I am gonna have a patio made all along the fence, continuing the patio its growing out of. Plus, I need to widen its 70cm wide patio as its base filled it all and has already broken the decorative tile edging :)

Howea forsteriana on its long way to recovery. This one took quite a beating compared to my orhers(even the one that does looked better before turning to mush) for no reason I can think of. It's still putting out fungus damaged leafs but recovering. On its third leaf now since winter.

The trunk of my Syagrus romanzoffiana can be seen to its left

A9BF5AB4-CC20-4E56-8F71-453F0F5E3723.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana canopy. My oldest seed grown palm that I have. Some other older palms I had grown from seed I gave away earlier and others I planted in private properties and are still thriving, but this one I still have myself! Hope to see it flowering in 1-2 years

B37FFB97-60F6-4702-B3A9-8F3D660E1589.jpg

Dypsis lastelliana is on its way to recovery as well and my recently planted Cycas micronesica(Rota) just finished flushing

75D10E9A-83F2-4794-A6A2-1B4A3D258827.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookeri) is slowly recovering from the cold while Neoregelia joannis almost didn't mind it at all...

8132B09C-85D7-4F3E-BD00-46746F689013.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii. This particular specimen remained undamaged. Another defoliated though but is recovering surprisingly well for a palm left only with a semidamaged spear. Even the very first leaf is excellent looking and the new spear is growing well

F20B994D-19AF-4D53-9022-6CF2F424F8A6.jpg

B. alfredii is adorable!

Be prepared, though: it gets fat in the trunk and i think it might outgrow your space there. Fortunately, it will grow upwards, so it won't bother people passing too much.

Edited by DoomsDave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you for the heads up Dave :) The patio is 70cm in width, but if it gets fat enough to reach the edge, i will widen it for its trunk

It has grown a fair bit already, 2 more new leafs and about 1,20cm tall +

I have an Acrocomia aculeata a little further down the path, i bet they will love the alfredii leafs compared to it:lol:

• 1 month later...

Can you tell me something about the Robusta Sonora, it seems to have slightly different features compared to regular robusta's? 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, the Sonoran population differs from the usual look of robusta. They used to be called W. sonorence but at the genus revision, it was merged with robusta as the defining characters match robusta and indeed they look like robusta on steroids.

I have never tried to grow coconut in Pyrgos yet. I was growing one up at my main house some years ago but I left it out too long one winter and it died as the place there is quite cool and cold. I started growing some up again this year, so hopefully I will try again soon when I get the area I think they have good chances to survive at, ready.

I have been traveling a lot this year and tending various things and didn't get the chance to prepare an update yet. I will take some pictures next weekend maybe and post 

Not yet! I am laying over in Singapore for 10more hours... Visited the botanic garden earlier as well

• Upvote 1

I have an overload of them

I couldn't make it to Pyrgos this weekend and I am not sure about the next one, so I thought I would post some pictures of what went on since last time

I planted a Strelitzia caudata during the Christmass holidays

EC10A01D-C194-416E-A34A-5D312452F6DF.jpg

07D95076-7060-473F-BB4B-B6CB28C4DDFE_1.j

And a Chamaerops humilis "Arborescence Piangente"(single trunk, droopy leaf)

CD623D52-F57E-4624-94AC-D59CB4D60EEE.jpg

Also planted an Agapanthus praecox

861B460E-A471-4C7B-8F00-709FC5866A62.jpg

The bunch on my Musa "Goudi" was also ready then as well and I harvested it. The bananas were delicious 1 week later :)

C45A778E-1497-4E1E-87E4-FE9EA7048742.jpg

• Upvote 2

This winter was mild, as usual for the area, and my plants suffered no cold damage. 

Here is my mango tree back in winter, seed grown from seed of a large, fiberless Indian variety

2ECF5A84-E58C-4880-AE79-29C4803588C7.jpg

And some of my orchids on the trees

E1C9DFA4-3DF8-4F08-8C1B-D3E2836CE2F6_1.j

Branches fell on one of my Dypsis lastelliana and caused the spear to grow crooked but after removing the, it was no worse for the wear

B63A11ED-B712-4E16-9EF9-987B5233C044.jpg

60F0935A-316A-4819-917D-D2B61023106F_1.j

A recent planting about 1,5months ago, was a Wodyetia bifurcata that I had for a year in a pot. I have 2 more and will see where I can plant them as well

FDAD21C5-0C50-41AF-A0D2-5EAADCE67533.jpg

2B908FAC-DF63-4AD0-8958-FCBA5EB84D1F.jpg

• Upvote 2

I had not taken any photos of my Trachycarpus in quite a while and they have grown a lot. The trunk is 4+m easy on my shorter one and the leafs huge for what I usually see

EF275D31-6D0D-4185-8D84-8F95BB86A4A1.jpg

2 of my Howea forsteriana are trunking now, which is a very pleasant sight!

8E1E9ACB-3BDF-4118-B11C-D7BF11AD6400.jpg

DE982BB6-FCA9-4123-BB91-A72A5D6AFA91.jpg

This one has not shed the dead leafs yet but will eventually 

2A4A2CE1-23E2-42B6-B83F-EF3BC3D48868.jpg

One of the Archontophoenix alexandrae shed a leaf during my stay

A9B08D3D-C521-449C-831B-46785CCE3BED.jpg

BF9397CD-8977-4FD0-823E-FC8579648C40.jpg

72642836-18E8-4E12-8FD7-C89E8333843E.jpg

• Upvote 3

Bismarckia nobilis "Silver"

CEC65C06-93A1-4029-AEBC-386FD01A3B15.jpg