IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden in Pyrgos...

Kostas

Acanthophoenix rubra :)

IMG_2475a.jpg

These were all October's photos. Here are November's!:)

Bismarckia nobilis(Silver) along with my mother.

IMG_2490a.jpg

...and alone...

IMG_2496a.jpg

Female Cycas revoluta along with my mother again...

IMG_2492a.jpg

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Pathway entrance with my mother

IMG_2493a.jpg

...and without...

IMG_2517a.jpg

Howea fosteriana and my smaller Archontophoenix alexandrae

IMG_2507a.jpg

My Syagrus romanzoffiana

IMG_2495a.jpg

Male Cycas revoluta

IMG_2500a.jpg

My 2year and 2 months old Washingtonia robusta(Sonora):drool:

IMG_2499a.jpg

Trachycarpus fortunei

IMG_2498a.jpg

Smaller Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

IMG_2501a.jpg

A newly transplanted Carica papaya :) Almost a year ago,i had spread arround in the garden some papaya seeds hoping that some will sprout. Well,3 did and all 3,not where i thought they would sprout!!! 2 came up in an acceptable location,side by side but the third,sprouted under one of the pathway stones,right in the middle of the pathway...So i had to move it and here it is,after aborting all its leafs except the developing ones. This photo is 1 month after the move. I hope it will establish fast again and grow with no sign of this transplant on its trunk...

IMG_2503a.jpg

My Normanbya normanbyi

IMG_2502a.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

IMG_2504a.jpg

Phyllostachys nigra

IMG_2505a.jpg

Leaning trunk Dicksonia antarctica and Grevillea robusta! :)

IMG_2506a.jpg

Straight trunked Dicksonia antarctica and Grevillea robusta

IMG_2516a.jpg

My ''bigger'' Acanthophoenix rubra trying to recover from sunburn and dog induced defoliation... :( Its growing stunted leafs now but that seems to be typical with Acanthophoenix rubra after light intensity changes,even without burning :)

IMG_2515a.jpg

My Dictyosperma album var. rubrum growing well under its shadecloth! :)

IMG_2514a.jpg

Cibotium glaucum:drool:

IMG_2512a.jpg

Castanospermum australe

IMG_2511a.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

IMG_2510a.jpg

My other,established Acanthophoenix rubra :)

IMG_2509a.jpg

My bigger Archontophoenix alexandrae :drool:

IMG_2508a.jpg

...with me :)

IMG_2518a.jpg

IMG_2523a.jpg

These were most of the photos i took the last times i was in Pyrgos. I will go there again for Christmas and take some more updated ones! :)

I hope you liked it!!! :)

My first time looking through your thread here Kostas, and I have to say you have done a great job with your garden. I have really enjoyed seeing everything including your patio and house being transformed and I love the variety of palms you have selected. I am confused though. I thought C. revoluta were slow growing. Yours appear to be on steriods! What's your secret with them?

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

My first time looking through your thread here Kostas, and I have to say you have done a great job with your garden. I have really enjoyed seeing everything including your patio and house being transformed and I love the variety of palms you have selected. I am confused though. I thought C. revoluta were slow growing. Yours appear to be on steriods! What's your secret with them?

yeah kosta yours seem to grow almost twice as fast as mine !

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

Thank you very much for your kind words WestCoastGal! :)

I am glad you like my palm choices!

Cycas revoluta are indeed slow growing as far as trunk height gain per year. Mine get about 10-15cm per year or maybe a little more? I don't know exactly but I bought them already big and mature. They have very thick trunks and are much better grown than most seen for sale. My only secret is plenty of water and rich soil. So far I have only fertilized once. I am having trunk rot problems from time to time with my female Cycas revoluta though because of an old trunk wound and soil degradation which I am trying to solve. The very shallow ground water level of Pyrgos probably helps growth but it's not too good for the old wound and rich soil which rots fast as I found the hard way... Hopefully I will have things in good order by next year.

Looking forward to see both my Cycas revoluta grow to have 2 meter tall trunks someday!!! :)

Thanks Rafael!! :)

I am glad you like it!

I just arrived in Pyrgos a few hours ago and things have grown some more! But, I also have some frost damage unfortunately on some of my palms and plants. The good thing is it's only superficial...

I will take photos one of the following days and post for you to see :)

Kostas,

Nice collection and a job well done! The plant with arrow shaped leaves is an Arum, probably A. italicum. There is a very nice species from Crete, A. creticum ans another worth growing is A. palaestinum. You also have Arisarum caudatum in your garden. You should try Caryota gigas! And lots of good Brahea for your climate. And Hedychium and Musa you could grow as well. M. Ratja Puri,, M. sikkimensis red tiger, M. nagensium, M. Chini Champi, M. velutina and M. ornata to name a fiew. They give that tropical flair. Also Tetrapanax Steroidal Giant is very tropical looking. Good Strelitzia are also S. juncea and S. nicolai. In Sikkim I saw a species of Calamus, should do well in your area! And Trachycarpus wisan, T. princeps and T. martianus to name some. Sabals are also very good, and Jubaea. And Chamaerops cerifera would love your climate as well. And Alocasia and Colocasia should be fine there. I know someone in Kent Engeland from Hardytropicals whom grows them with some succes there! And Nelumbo is also great for a pond! Albizzia, Calliandra, Lagestroemia and

Ceiba like C. bombax are worth to try as well.

I see you grow a lot of tropical species, but most of them want year round high temperatures. I would chose for example the hardier Livinstona chinensis. And there is another Livinstona in Victoria state. Euterpe edulis and Butias will grow very well to in Greese. Maybe Jubeopsis as well. Phoenix sylvestris and P. reclinata are also good ones.

The butterfly on your Magnolia grandiflora is a Iphiclides podalirius. For butterflies some Lantana and a Buddleia are good nectarplants. And butterflies give that extra touch to any garden.

Alexander

Hi Kostas,

Your Archontophoenix palms are rocking! They are growing about twice as fast as mine did starting at the same size - you must have some really goog fertilizer or something.

Interesting how they display the same brown tendancy as my two that I purchased from Palmperpaket as "Illawara". Only these two do the brown spear ( in cooler weather ) out of all the Archontophoenix I have. I think whatever you have is the same as mine.

The Ceroxylan look pretty amazing also - looks like it will another couple of years before they fully aclimate to the Greek sun.

Merry Christmas also!

Regards

Maurice

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for your replys Alexander and Maurice!

Alexander,

Yes,it does is an Arum but i have no idea on which species. A. italicum does seems similar its a good starting point to know that! I want to properly ID it at some point but i have been unable to find a key to the Arum species of Europe on the net. I will try borrowing the Flora Europea at some point.

The plant with the cordate leafs you see is not an Arisarum caudatum,its a native species,totally different from that plant. I took a photo of it with an open inflorescence for you to see! Here it is!

IMG_2607a.jpg

Thank you very much for trying to ID my unknown plants!

I love Caryota gigas and after seeing one in its full glory in Florida,i am itching to grow one myself for sure! I currently have Caryota maxima(Himalaya) planted in my Pyrgos Garden but if it doesnt make it for some reason,i may replace it with C. gigas!

I have wanted to add a banana in my garden for some time now but i am not sure if that would be a good choice or not for a few important reasons. Firstly,as a clumping plant,a banana will continue expanding and will eventually reach and annoy my understory plantings near it unless i remove unwanted pups all the time. I generally like to let things grow unpruned like they would in nature,so this isnt something i would like to do at all as it would not let the banana grow like it would in nature(i would never compromise my other understory palms and cycads for a banana).Secondly,a banana would interfere with my palms and would probably make them lean away from it in odd directions as the individual plants of the banana are short lived and so the shade would be changing position every now and then for the palms,possibly making them not grow as attractive trunks as they would. Thirdly,i am afraid that the banana may deplete the soil around it from nutrients fast and make the surrounding plants develop deficiencies they currently arent. My soil is pretty rich and sustains the growth of my many palms and other plants well there even without fertilizer. That may change with the addition of a banana near them. I am still debating what to do though as i do like the speed of growth of bananas and of course their fruits if i go for an edible type. The inflorescence is very tropical looking as well!

Thank you very much for your plant suggestions! I do have an Alocasia odora i ground planted a few months ago and look forward to seeing it grow big!

I know i am a bit adventurous with some of the species i have chosen to grow but i really like the tropical ones! I hope they succeed to grow long term in my garden and it doesnt end with a disaster when a record cold winter hits at some point...

Thank you very much for the butterfly ID! Good to know that! Its one of our most spectacular butterflies in Greece!

Hi Maurice,

Thank you very much for your kind comments!

Good to know they are growing at a good pace! I just started fertilizing this September/October after having a possible deficiency problem with my Syagrus romanzoffiana so it really cant be fertilizer!laugh.gif I have been giving them ample water right from the start though and the ground water is a couple of meters at most below the soil surface so that may be it along with our higher humidity which possibly made things easier for them while acclimating! My soil is quite fertile clay so that helps with nutrients as well.

According to Tyrone i think,all Archontophoenix species may open red but that is just more common to happen with certain species. Archontophoenix alexandrae does can open red but few individuals have this trait. I think and hope my A. alexanrdae falls in this category but we probably wont know till it flowers... Only 1 of my 2 A. alexandrae opens red. A mix up does can happen as well as hybridization unfortunately. Toby told me that he checked it and there is no chance of a mixup regarding my Archontophoenix and that the chance for hybridization is low. So i guess we have to wait and see...Has yours started flowering or not yet? I remember seeing a nice height of trunk supporting those leafs last time!!!smilie.gif

I am quite happy they withstand the summer sun so well even though they are small plants that would grow under canopy in nature! All my Ceroxylon will eventually be shaded by other plants so full sun acclimation wont be needed for many years afterwards till they finally emerge from the canopy one daydrool.gif

Thank you very much for your wish! Have a great 2011!!!

And now its time for the update i promised you! smilie.gif I took the pictures the last day just before leaving,under heavy rain! This unfortunately blurred them some but also gave that wet feel to the garden! Everything was wet,including me and the cameralaugh.gif

Anyway,here they are!!!smilie.gif

Magnolia grandiflora and female Cycas revoluta

IMG_2593a.jpg

Female Cycas revoluta cone loosening and revealing its seedssmilie.gif

IMG_2598a.jpg

Trachycarpus fortunei

IMG_2594a.jpg

Close up of the left one's maturing seedssmilie.gif

IMG_2606a.jpg

IMG_2595a.jpg

IMG_2596a.jpg

IMG_2597a.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis(Silver)

IMG_2600a.jpg

My bigger Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)smilie.gif

IMG_2614a.jpg

My smaller Howea fosteriana is now hiding under one of its leafs!

IMG_2611a.jpg

IMG_2613a.jpg

A nice native plant flowering

IMG_2607a.jpg

My smaller Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

IMG_2608a.jpg

Normanbya normanbyi

IMG_2609a.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

IMG_2610a.jpg

Strelitzia reginae flowering for the first time! The pictured flower is the first one to open successfully,the previous ones couldnt extend their parts and were getting rot.

IMG_2615a.jpg

Strelitzia reginae and a Cymbidium hybrid. I am gonna remove the hybrid as soon as i find a pure species replacement for it but for now,lets enjoy the color!

IMG_2617a.jpg

Close up of Cymbidium's flower

IMG_2616a.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana and Howea fosteriana

IMG_2604a.jpg

Howea fosteriana and Archontophoenix alexandrae!

IMG_2620a.jpg

IMG_2618a.jpg

IMG_2621a.jpg

My bigger Archontophoenix alexandrae planted at a more open spot got a beating from frostsad.gif I searched a weather station located in Pyrgos,close to where my garden is and it says it only got to -0.1C at most. As its located on a rooftop of a high building,the recorded temperature may be a little higher than what my plants experienced although i have found it pretty accurate on other occasions i think. Anyway,whatever and if the low was,it couldnt have been much so i was really puzzled as to why i got that much damage on a few of my palms. I talked to various people i know including nursery owners and one of them told me the key to this:the weather previous to the freezing night was always excellent with temperatures of 20-25C daily! All of a sudden,one day the temprature was a little under 20 and that night temperature fell to 0C and a little below maybe. The forst wasnt any severe but the plants were caught completely by surprise and in peak growth! This damaged mainly the newer leafs a good deal on a few palms of mine. All seem to be alive though and the spear is good even in one that defoliated completely(baby Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookerii)) so they should all hopefully recover ok from thissmilie.gif Funny thing is,my potted Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookerii) seedlings in Athens saw tempratures between -1C and -2,5C and got covered with snow and didnt get the slightest damage on them!!!!blink.gif

IMG_2622a.jpg

Acanthophoenix rubra

IMG_2624a.jpg

IMG_2625a.jpg

Carica papaya(probably,they are offspring of store bought papaya's seeds scattered in the garden last fall)

IMG_2626a.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

IMG_2627a.jpg

IMG_2628a.jpg

Hyophorbe indica(Southern)

IMG_2632a.jpg

Ceratozamia miqueliana

IMG_2633a.jpg

As the season was ideal, i had some time available and was in the mood for palm work,i went and got me another Howea fosteriana trio from the same nursery i had gotten my other one. They had neglected their Howea a bit this time so i had a little trouble finding a good and healthy trio to get(btw,all the availiable ones were there the previous time as well so there hasnt been much turnover if any of this palm at that nursery...). I found 2 trios that were in decent shape and went for the smaller one. A couple days later,i took my faithful axelaugh.gif and split them! Here they are!!!

IMG_2634a.jpg

Howea is really one of my favorite palmsdrool.gifI had planed for some time now where to plant these and so i thought i would get them ready for ground planting somewhen this year! Their spots are not ready so i have something to do while these recover,acclimate and establish in their pots! I will probably go get the other trio as well at some point,maybe next Christmasslaugh.gif

Castanospermum australe

IMG_2631a.jpg

Newly planted Ceroxylon amazonicum! This one survived quite a few things while in pot! Its pot completely dried out in the summer due to its dripper clogging and now it was in rotting soil and just a few roots alive and the rest rotten! All the roots it has were healthy and not rotting anymore but its root system fits in a small plastic cup! I washed away all of its rotting soil and ground planted it. I have done that in the past with another Ceroxylon suffering root rot and its recovering ok! They are amazingly tough plants at this age!!!smilie.gif

IMG_2636a.jpg

IMG_2630a.jpg

These were all the photos i managed to take before returning under shelter to dry my camera(and myself)!

I hope you liked it!!!smilie.gif

as usual your garden looks great Kosta !

You are lucky with your Strelitzia reginae ... i wasn't ... Btw did you know Ravenala Madagascariensis (travellers palm) is related to Strelitzia reginae ?? Do you think it can grow where i live?

Your Howea forsteriana look very green !!

From what i've seen your Washingtonia robusta is the fastest grower ( no surprise here).

I wanted to ask grow fast was the growth of your Trachycarpus ones ? How old are they BTW ?

About that frost you mentioned above (first or second week of December) i got 1 C how come that Pyrgos went to 0C ? Was there Real frost on your palms?

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

Thank you very much for your kind comments Manoli! smilie.gif

The Strelitzia reginae is a very easy plant to grow and can grow even in colder areas than mine and yours. The only thing it demands is proper drainage and not too much water as its an arid plant. I water mine once every 6 days in the summer heat and every 9 days in the winter because its position is partially sheltered from rain.

Yeap,i did know that and saw some huge,awesome speciemen of Ravenala while in Florida! I think you do can grow it but i have never tried it so i dont have experience with it. From what i have seen and what i know for it, i would grow it at the edge of a tall tree canopy,at the most wind sheltered spot. That should keep it looking good for most of the year and offer some protection during the worst nights of the winter smilie.gif I would also start with a not yet trunked plant to allow it to adapt here and grow a hardy trunk that has less chance to damage during a freeze. A greenhouse or warmer area grown trunk of any plant damages much easier than on site grown trunks!

Thank you! I love my Howea fosteriana! The lush one you see seems to have fully acclimated to its position while the others damaged some in the blazing sun and high heat of the summer. Hopefully that should stop as they grow up or maybe it just takes them longer to fully acclimate to their more exposed positions. I am hopeful that this year they will damage less...

Indeed,my Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) have outgrown all my other palms including Archontophoenix alexandrae and Hyophorbe indica(Southern) which are considered fast! However,i dont know if it will continue outgrowing them once they all start trunking. It probably will if it continues its current growth rate but i cant be sure till it actually doeslaugh.gif

My Trachycarpus fortunei were transplanted speciemen and were slow to resume their trunk growth. The first year after the transplant,they grew an amazing amount of roots everywhere,bulging the soil under them for all those roots!!! But they only grew a limited number of (much larger)leafs and there was no visible trunk gain. But their second year,trunk growth started to show and they must have grown 10-20cm of trunk each. I have no idea of their age and only know they were field grown in Peloponissos,from seed.

Pyrgos climate doesnt follow much our weather here but more western Greece's climate. So,when here might freeze or snow,in Pyrgos it may be another good warm sunny day! On the other hand,it can freeze at night there with not too bad weather here. Pirgos weather and Athen's weather are not much related. This time,our cold weather seems to affected Pyrgos as it froze on December 12th.

I wasnt in Pyrgos when the frost hit but i follow the weather with a local weather station located relatively close to my location and it recorded -0,1C the worst and only freezing night. Due to the high humidity,dew almost always forms at night on plant leafs in my garden,summer and winter. So the possibility of actual frost on my plants when it freezes,is high as they are already wet! From the pattern of damage i see on my palms which resembles water drops ,i bet there was water there that froze on them that night! Had the freeze come gradually though,with a week of cool temperatures maybe,as always,there wouldnt have been any damage with -0,1C or even lower! I recorded -1C in my garden last year and i had no cold damage on my Archontophoenix! smilie.gif

There are many different types of frost and they affect palms in different ways,, that's why absolute minimum temperatures don't always tell the full story. Let's hope we will have a good spring and not to dry/ hot summer ! Keep up the good work and just know that your patience will show its benefits once your kentia's start to truck and skyrocket !

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

Hey Kosta,

nice pics from your garden. I always love seeing the current progress in your garden :)

It is very strange that your archontophoenix reacted like that. Maybe it needs more time to get used to winters, after all it is indoor grown. As for weather stations, I have two for you, but I don't know if they are near to your house.

The first one is in Neapoli: http://www.metar.gr/?option=com_jumi&fileid=12&Itemid=73&station=1254

the second one says only "Pyrgos", don't know where exactly. This page is much more detailed and at the bottom of the page you have the reports for every month in detail: http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/pirgos

Maybe the second one is the one you already know. But there is no sign of frost in January or February. Recent days have been some kind of unusual for the greek winter weather conditions. The night temperatures are very low <4°C and day temps are around 18°C and it will stay completely dry for the next couple of days. Usually greece has a more balanced range of night and day temps. But as long as it doesn't freeze there is no worry, I think.

Greetings,

Janni.

Hi Kosta!

Great garden, great palm species, it's nice to see mediterranean garden progress! :greenthumb:

From first topic 'till today you did amazing job!

How are your dicksonia antarctica's now?

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my palm tree*

Looking great Kosta, looks like some of your palms will be taking off this summer! It's great watching it's progress.

Susan

• 3 months later...

Thank you very much all of you for your replies!smilie.gif

Manoli,

Thats quite right. Unfortunately the warming up was quite late this spring,1+ month behind normal and so growth is behind as well. This is predicted to be a rather hot(normal) week so finally good growing weather has come!!!! smilie.gif Hoping for a nice hot and humid summer!!!

Thank you very much for the kind words! Looking forward to that!

Hi Janni!

Thank you very much for your kind words! I am glad you enjoy my photos!

My Archontophoenix alexandrae have seen 2,5winters outside so far and although they only damaged this past winter from a -0.1C. They have seen temperatures around 0C before and they have even seen -1C before and they never showed any damage before. That leads me to my thought that the high difference between the 18C high two days ago (and the high temperatures prevailing till then) and the sudden low of -0.1C,is responsible for the amount of damage i got as the plants didnt have time to harden for the winter.

Thank you very much for the weather station links! I have been using the second one indeed(they are both in Neapoli and probably get data from the same weather station,the one at the railroad station in Pyrgos) and its relatively close to my house. There does is some slight difference at times from the temperatures prevailing at my garden and the ones recorded by it but it gives a good idea. I think i also recorded -0.1C at the exposed parts of my garden. The freeze happened in early December and was so sudden and severe in the whole of Helia that its described in a separate article on the weather station. Here it is!(in Greek)

For Pyrgos,its normal to have that high day and night temperature difference but in Attica and other places as well,as you said,its not. Pyrgos is always like that though and you can enjoy having lunch outside even in the heart of winter!smilie.gif

Hi larisa!smilie.gif

Thank you very much for your kind words!

My Dicksonia antarctica are doing great and have been throwing huge leaf flushes this spring! I hope that in the coming years when my Gravillea robusta fully shades them,they will look good all year. They already seem to be happier this year as they grew more and larger leafs than the past year and they have finally started getting moss on their trunks!

Thank you very much for your kind words Susan!

I am glad you like itsmilie.gif

I thought i would do an update on my garden!

So far,most plants are doing well despite the freeze they faced and a good proportion of the damaged ones survived and are recovering nicely and well! Even a defoliated Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookerii) 1year old seedling is opening a new leaf now! Both of my Archontophoenix alexandrae have opened a nice new leaf and even the most damaged one doesnt look so bad now! Unfortunately though,i did lost 3 palms this winter. A Dictyosperma album var. rubrum(fried completely and hasnt shown any new growth,spear doesnt pull though so may have some chance...),my second Acanthophoenix rubra(i dont know exactly why,probably it was a combination of cold and rain as it rotted fast and the whole plant fell) and a Hyophorbe indica(Southern)(most probably to due to both cold and rain,it was not happy there before the frost and the area was exposed). All these palms were located behind the second building in my property,in an exposed area. From this i learned that this area has a terrible microclimate as both another Hyophorbe indica(Southern) and my first Acanthophoenix rubra are doing great and were undamaged in their more protected spots. So i am now doing some work to improve the microclimate back there with a shade tree i added,another Castanospermum australe,and will be planting hardier palms and plants along the fence to provide some wind barrier and protection. I may give banana plants to my Uncle to plant on his side of the fence as well to block wind completelyrolleyes.gif I hope this area will eventually get to have a better microclimate for more sensitive plants as well.

Here are some photos of my Pyrgos Garden taken on March 6!

Female Cycas revoluta and Magnolia grandiflora

IMG_2701.jpg

Looking between them,to the pathway

IMG_2702.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

My biggest Howea fosteriana

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana and Howea fosteriana. I found my Syagrus romanzoffiana leaning heavily on the Howea and rocking a lot and so i tied it upright again to grow some more roots. I suspect that it experienced heavy rains along with strong winds which helped it push the soil to the side and lean. I saw a nice,finger thick root coming out the side though so i hope it will stabilize again soon.

As you can also see,most leafs of my Syagrus are deformed and showing a deficiency of some kind,Boron i would think. I added some fertilizer in the fall last year that also contains Boron and you can see the newest leaf is much better.

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

Strelitzia reginae and Cymbidium hybrid under Callistemon laevis

IMG_2712.jpg

Trachycarpus fortunei

IMG_2714.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae,Howea fosteriana and Syagrus romanzoffiana surrounding the veranda!drool.gif

IMG_2727.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis(Silver)

IMG_2713.jpg

Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) along with Howea fosteriana

IMG_2731.jpg