IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden in Pyrgos...

Kostas

Thank you very much for your kind words Susan! I am glad to hear that!smilie.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Wonderful progress Kostas, and a very nice looking! It is a pleasure to "visit" it again.

Your ceroxylon amazonicum is the one bought from canarius? Very nice, and thriving!

I am working on finding ceroxylon other subspecies...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you very much for your replys and nice comments Rafael and Janni!:)

Rafael,

Yes,all my 6 Ceroxylon amazonicum are from Canarius and are all living to this date,most in excellent condition even though this was the hottest summer in 100years. A couple are in so and so condition for various reasons such as that one had its dripper clogged some months back and got totally dry soil for a week or more before i went to Pyrgos again,found it and fixed it and has been revovering since and another just had all its leafs ripped of by my Aunts dogs............:angry: Its still ok though and will probably recover with time. So far they are very resilient and have recovered some amazing misfortunes a few of them had! I wish you success with yours!:)

Gia sou Janni!

I am glad you like it! I 'll do!:)

Well,i think its already time for an update!:) Sorry for not having updated for so long but i had kept forgeting to take the camera with me the past few times i went to Pyrgos.

But,last time i was there 2 weeks ago,i had my camera on hand! Some pictures didnt turn out too great due to the low angle of the sun as they were taken late during the evening but here they are anyway:

Male Cycas revoluta and Washingtonia robusta(Sonora).

IMG_2308a.jpg

This year's spent male cone and new leaf flush above!

IMG_2326a.jpg

This Washingtonia was a few weeks less that 2 years old from seed at the time of photographing and it still is a few days less that 2 years old,yet,as you see,its 2meter tall!!!!:drool: For reference,the male C. revoluta has 1meter of trunk and is higher up on the slope.....

IMG_2309a.jpg

My Trachycarpus fortunei which are setting seed for their first time with me! There are no other Trachycarpus for quite long a distance so whatever pollination is happening,is between these 2 and they both are setting seed. After some research on the subject,i found that they are considered polygamo-monoecious by some and by others dioecious. To me,the first sound more likely in my case.....:)

IMG_2310a.jpg

Thank you very much John!:) I will be offering the seeds through freshpalmseeds.com !

My second Washingtonia robusta(Sonora). This one grew a lot too but although same age,is a good deal behind my big one due to a couple misfortunes it had plus being in a location with less hours of sun. Its doing great now though and is growing full speed,like my bigger one!:)

IMG_2317a.jpg

My Normambya normanbyi which for some reason keeps growing extreeeeeeeeeeemly slow and only produced one leaf which it was pushing from the winter...Is this normal and is there anything i can do to help it survive in this small and slow stage of its life?

IMG_2318a.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum,doing fine despite the high heat it experienced in the hottest of all our summers!

IMG_2327a.jpg

Grevillea robusta and recurving trunk Dicksonia antarctica:) Grevillea grew a lot but more importantly,gained a huge amount of trunk girth that helps it support its weight and remain more straight than it used to be. The Dicksonia on the other hand looks decent for the end of the summer thanks to the expanding shade of the Grevillea!

IMG_2319a.jpg

Another Ceroxylon amazonicum doing well :)

IMG_2329a.jpg

My Zamia lindenii which I got last year with all leafs cut,hasn't flushed yet but I was pleased to see it's alive and has dehished and healed the leaf bases it had on when I got it. It's doing something at least,now I hope it puts some energy in a few new leafs as well......

IMG_2345a.jpg

My Dictyosperma album var. rubrum is doing great! It fully opened the new leaf it had and grew another one too! I will leave the shade cloth it's under for this winter for frost protection and remove it next spring :)

IMG_2348a.jpg

Cibotium glaucum

This fern has prooved to be THE fern for my climate! It grows fast yearround,always looks awesome and never shows any problem! It seems to like the shady and broken sun location it's growing a lot and is really magnificent! One of my best choices so far! Perhaps it's just location and my other ferns may looked better if they got more shade but this one doesn't demand pop ups to spray it's trunk as it will never get a tall trunk. It's location is perfect for it and this fern is also perfect for it's location! :) Hopefully my shade trees will grow fast and help the other ferns look good as well...

IMG_2352a.jpg

My biggest Ceratozamia miqueliana

IMG_2353a.jpg

Understory Cycas....

IMG_2356a.jpg

Hyophorbe indica(Southern) and understory Cycas...

IMG_2354a.jpg

My best looking Ceroxylon amazonicum :)

IMG_2360a.jpg

Castanospermum australe,Cyathea medullaris's future shade tree...Only problem is,it barely grows any faster than the Cyathea......Cyathea got 40cm of trunk this year and Castanospermum only about 20cm more than that. It will probably gain more speed as it grows though... :)

IMG_2359a.jpg

My smaller Acanthophoenix rubra just got...bigger! This last leaf it grew is big and awesome,seems like it got to the point of large increment growth! Looking forward to not being able to cross the path from it's spinny leafs!!!! :looney:

IMG_2361a-1.jpg

Magnolia grandiflora

IMG_2314a.jpg

My female Cycas revoluta is coning again! I didn't pollinate the cone this year to see if it gets pollinated naturally. Just out of curiosity! If it doesn't,all next coning events will be hand pollinated,if it does,why bother? :lol:

IMG_2320a.jpg

IMG_2321a.jpg

IMG_2323a.jpg

Howea fosteriana,these got truly awesome in our winter and had regrown the majority of their crown but got some burn again this summer, especially the one getting the most sun...The other got away with it mostly and has almost no disfiguring as you can see! When my Syagrus romanzoffiana grows some more they should both get shaded a good deal so the summer burning should stop. The Syagrus got pinnate last winter after growing really fast last summer but this summer it stalled... Checking the one and only spear it grew the last month,I saw that it's vertically compressed at some points...So that could well be one of the reasons. Maybe the fibers of the previous leaf's base were too strong and werent letting the spear emerge well or maybe it was missing a nutrient? I don't know but the spear is finally unfolding and I have now fertilized it. Hopefully it grows faster for a few more months and gets to be taller than me! :drool:

IMG_2312a.jpg

IMG_2325a.jpg

Hi Kostas - Looking good mate!

As for your Normambya normanbyi, do you know what pH your soil is (they come from very acid soil in nature, e.g. pH 5 at my place)? That aside, they do grow really slow in the sun compared to in the shade. I have been propagating them every year and one's that I've planted in the shade are twice as big as one's that are in more exposed locations (the same has been observed by others - refer to the link below). I even have some in full sun that look like yours (not doing much at all) which have been stationary for a good 4 years now. Shade, and lots of water, is definitely the key with these guys (and mulch). Happy growing!

Normanbya normanbyi - a personal experience

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

I saw this thread couple months ago and I must say that your palms and other plants are growing really really nice :)

Keep up with good work, keep us updated.

Cheers

Thank you very much fir your replys and nice comments Kurt and Dundo! :)

Kurt,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with Normanbya! I haven't checked my native soil's ph yet but the topsoil it's growing in must have a pH of about 6.5 from what I remember. My native soil probably is around 7.5 from what I have heard but I haven't tested to know for sure. I keep it well mulched and watered though.

From what you say and what I read in your link,its problem seems to be too much sun... I keep it under a 30% shadecloth but it also gets direct sun as the sun angles. I think it gets around 4 hours or a little more of noon but filtered from shadecloth for half or more of that time, sun each day.

When I got it,I wad going to plant under the shade of my Olea tree as I was looking forward to see it break through tree canopy as it would get bigger and mimic the way it grows in habitat. But when my mother learnt that I was getting a Foxtail lookalike,she wanted it planted in a more easily visible location to be able to view her favorite palm more. So,to do her the favor,I choose the planting location it currently "grows" in and thought it would probably grow faster getting more sun... I didn't know they were actually slower in sun than in shade!!! Wish I had known better...

What would you suggest me to do? Should I find a shady location for it and transplant it there or should I leave it where it is and put a heavier shadecloth above it(60% or 80%)? It's difficult to completely shade it there though no matter how thick the shadecloth is as it's next to a walkway and it will still be getting direct sun as it angles. Unless I pass the shadecloth above the walkway but without the hope of removing it anytime soon,it's not really the best thing to have...I will also see if I can train a nearby olive tree to grow a branch above it and shade it in a better looking manner...

Thank you very much for letting me know what's wrong with my Normanbya Kurt! :)

Thank you very much for your kind comments Dundo! :)

I will be keeping you updated :)

To continue with the update,here is my smaller Archontophoenix alexandrae! :)

df858fc1.jpg

Another photo of my female Cycas revoluta which I forgot to post :)

d9ca4623.jpg

My bigger Archontophoenix alexandrae! Both my Archontophoenix put on a good size fast and I really enjoy watching them grow! I can't wait to see them trunking!!!! :drool:

Btw,what do you think regarding their species purity now that they have grown some more?

06cfeaf2.jpg

My formely biggest Acanthophoenix rubra putting out a stunted leaf...From my experience with Acanthophoenix so far,when lighting conditions change to more sub,they ALWAYS put out a stunted leaf before resuming normal growth. This isn't bad nor sets them back but this particular Acanthophoenix lost all it's leafs but the newest opening one to sun burn at early summer and now it has only that

and the stunted one. Looks strong though and a new spear is pushing so I hope it recovers fast! :)

b212ed26.jpg

Remember my straight trunked Dicksonia antarctica which had burned near to death along with a pulled plug of the irrigation system last fall? Well,see it now! It has recovered and grown really nicely and didn't burn this time with the help of a 30% shade cloth I put above it. Didn't want to risk loosing it again after coming back almost from the dead... I will be keeping it under shadecloth till my Grevillea's canopy gets enough width to shade at least half of it!

475501d0.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis

As you can see,it has already started dividing it's leafs in almost 2years from seed and a little more than 14 months after poking it's first leaf above ground! :)

ee3de819.jpg

Strelitzia reginae,putting out inflorescences for the first time!

b15557f0.jpg

These were all the photos I took last time in Pyrgos. There are certainly more plants in the garden but these are some of the bigger and more showorthy ones.

I hope you liked it!!! :)

Hi again Kostas.

Tricky question. If they are readily available, just plant a few more around your place!? If not, you could give it a bit more shade, or you could move it. Lots of options. In the rainforest at my place, these guys have to grow 15 metres tall at least to get through the canopy! But at the same time, they have them growing in the middle of roundabouts all around Cairns - in full blazing sun.

That Bismarckia is going to me amazing!

All the best - Kurt

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Thank you very much for your reply Kurt! :)

These certainly aren't commonly available at all,in Greece,no chance,and I think that even my source from Germany has run out of those at this size some time ago but I will need to check. I think I will do both of what you suggested:plant one more if I can find it and shade out or move my current Normanbya. How do they handle transplanting at this stage? I am a little nervous with that and as you say they grow fine in full sun in Cairns as big speciemen,I may leave it there and try to offer it some more shade till it get past the juvenile stage... :)

I am glad you think so about my Bismarckia! I saw Bismarckias up close for the first time during my trip to Florida this past spring and they were truly impressive and magnificent palms!

Cheers!

-Konstantinos

Kostas if i remember correctly you are in 10a zone? Can you tell what was lowest temperature at your place last winter? Did you protect any of the palms?

Btw- nice growth on that Bismarckia i remember pic of it while it had one strap leaf :)

These certainly aren't commonly available at all,in Greece,no chance,and I think that even my source from Germany has run out of those at this size some time ago but I will need to check.

Hi again Kostas - I know someone who has fresh seed if that is of any help to you? :)

Not sure about the transplanting... and as for the fun sun, I was more so meaning large mature specimens...

All the best, Kurt

Kurt

Thank you very much for your reply Dundo and Kurt :)

Dundo,

Yes,I am in a 10a and last winter's low was -1C which probably only happened just before sunrise and then everything warmed up again nicely :) It was no real winter last year and most of my winters have lows of -1C to -2C for a couple times in total. My problem winters are once every 20years when it fall to arround -3,6C and Citrus trees in the area defoliate from the cold. These are the winters I am afraid of....

I didn't protect anything in Pyrgos last year,at least not intentionally,there did were a few shadecloths above some of the palms for sun protection that could have offered some frost protection as well but thats it and I doubt how much this helped them anyway . The only reason I lost some palms last winter was the cool late winter weather and the ones I lost were truly tropical in requirements or had exhausted their energy reserves from prior prolonged shipping time...Rot from the heavy rains was another reason and it was partially my fault or not having planted them in a good enough mix for their requirements.

That's cute to remember Dundo! :) It indeed grew a surprising lot and managed to get 2 partially divided leafs already! Looking forward to seeing more growth from it before cool weather stalls it...

Kurt,

That is indeed of great help,thank you very much! :) I will contact you privately for the source!

Yes,I did understand the full sun growing ones are big speciemen but if they can stand it as adults,there is critical stage after which they can live in full sun. If that is 4-meters though,I guess it will take it forever to reach it....unless it starts growing faster!

All the best,

-Konstantinos

Thank you for fast reply :) I am living a bit north of you in zone 9b and i can't grow as many palms as you but i will try to catch up hehe ;)You are doing great job and its always nice to see European growers and compare with them :)

Wish you all best,

Ivo

Thank you very much Ivo :)

In 9b you can still grow a nice variety of palms,cycads and tree ferns and make a wonderfull garden! I look forward to seeing a photo thread of your garden! I am sure you will catch up nicely ;)

Happy growing! :)

All the best,

-Konstantinos

Gia sou Kosta,

poli oraia foto. especially the archontos are doing very well :drool: i like them very much.

i hope it will soon start raining in pyrgos. i think your palms would like it very much after that long dry summer...

wish you luck.

greetings from Japan.

Janni

Geia sou Janni!:)

I am glad you like the photos! The Archontophoenix are indeed doing very well and grew nice big leafs this summer! My bigger one's spear is almost as tall as me and it was just starting to open when i left! I cant wait to go there again and see how that leaf looks and how much more it grew:drool: Hopefully they may start trunking next year!:)

Thanks Janni,i hope that too! My ferns especially will love it and it will be a relief for shade loving palms and plants getting more sun than they would ever wish for....It has already rained 5mm this month and raised the humidity a good deal but more would really be good...

Thanks a lot Janni!:)

Japan,ehh? Nice! Are you there for pleasure or bussiness/studies?

Greetings from Greece!

-Konstantinos

Hi Kosta,

I am just for 2 months for abroad studies here in Japan. They have also some palms here in Nagoya. I try to make as much pics as I can and I'll post it here in palmtalk forum when I'm back at home. So that's the reason why I couldn't come to greece this summer. I think if the next winter is an average winter you won't have any losses of your palms, so I can come next summer (hopefully) and visit you and see plenty of palms in your garden :winkie:

As far as for the burnt Howeas: I've been to majorca last march and I saw a lot of Howea F. in many gardens there. They showed no signs of burnt leaves, though they've had far and wide no shade. But the better looking ones indeed were placed at a shady spot. Maybe they need a few summers to acclimate. Also I saw two very huge Archontophoenix Purpureas. They were higher than the 3-storey hotel building next to them!! And they showed no scratch of the cold spell in early march. They had snow and frost for a few days. People told us the beach was covered completely in snow! I think if those palms can survive there, you won't have any problems in Pyrgos.

Bye for now and greetings.

Janni

Looks great keep up the good work

Howeas take nearly 2 years to adapt to sun .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Great updates Kostas, looking good!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thank you very much for your replies all of you! :)

Hi Janni!

I look forward to seeing your photos from there when you post them! It must be an interesting stay there! :)

Well,hopefully all will be well with my plants next year and they will be a year older ;) Looking forward to meet you from close! :)

It's very interesting to hear about those palms in Majorca! My Howea had fully replaced their canopy since shade cloth removal and i wasnt expecting to see so much sunburn this year! I hope they handle sun better next summer.

Such tall Archontophoenix specimen must have been really impressive! It's great to hear those saw snow and didn't damage! They are high altitude Archontophoenix though so they may have better hardiness than the A. alexandrae I am growing but they aren't generally considered much hardier,if at all. I hope mine survive the worst of our winters(which includes seeing snow but not getting covered with snow) and become real tall fast!!!! :drool:

Cheers!

Hi Troy!

Thank you very much for your nice comments! I am glad you like it! :)

I hope my Howea eventually get to stand our sun the whole year and not burn in the high heat of the summer... Most will eventually be shaded by my Syagrus romanzoffiana but one won't get shaded by anything once if gets taller and will be getting half to most day sun...

Thank you very much Bill!!! :)

• 2 months later...

Hi :)

I thought i would show you some updated pictures of my garden i took in the middle of October and November! Here they are!:)

My Pyrgos Garden during the middle of October:

Pathway

IMG_2436a.jpg

IMG_2437a.jpg

IMG_2438a.jpg

My Bismarckia nobilis(Silver)

IMG_2440a.jpg

IMG_2441a.jpg

Male Cycas revoluta

IMG_2442a.jpg

My then 2 and a month year old from seed Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

IMG_2443a.jpg

My smaller Howea fosteriana

IMG_2444a.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa(Hookerii) seedling doing awesomely well in the ground!:)

IMG_2445a.jpg

IMG_2446a.jpg

Ceratozamia miqueliana flushing!:)

IMG_2449a.jpg

IMG_2450a.jpg

Thanks Ante!:)

In Pyrgos there was no cold front,the temprature just cooled a little from the usual highs it was but nothing special. I did and do have it in Melissia though...

My smaller though also 2 and a month old Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

IMG_2451a.jpg

Normanbya normanbyi

IMG_2452a.jpg

IMG_2453a.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

IMG_2454a.jpg

Leaning trunked Dicksonia antarctica

IMG_2455a.jpg

And its shade tree,Grevillea robusta :)

IMG_2456a.jpg

Howea fosteriana

IMG_2458a.jpg

Howea fosteriana and Syagrus romanzoffiana

IMG_2459a.jpg

dalmatiansoap (what smell does dalmatian soap has ?laugh.gif) i can keep you up to date about the weather in Athens. Kostas might give you some insight about pyrgos.

from Friday till Sunday night we had lows of 2 C in southern suburbs (beach) and up to -3 C in the northern suburbs(around 400M altitude ). Yesterday and today we had highs of 17 C .

Kosta your garden has a very tropical look on the pictures, with the rain and all

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

Thanks Manoli!:)

It has a tropical look from close as well,especially on rainny days when the color gets richer in everything and humidity rises!:drool: Only the cold isnt tropical:lol:

IMG_2460a.jpg

IMG_2461a.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana leaf detail. My Syagrus had a problem this year with a stuck leaf that took almost all summer to emerge. When that deformed leaf was out,it was all stuck and failled to open normally and so i helped it out! It seems to have sorted itself out now as the next emerging leaf seems normal so far...

IMG_2462a.jpg

IMG_2463a.jpg

how did the leaf got stucked ?

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

I unfortunately dont know why the leaf got stuck but from what i have read,i think it might have either been unable to loosen the previous leaf's base(the fibers were pretty tight on that spear) and so got mechanically stuck or it might had been a temporary boron deficiency that sorted itself out. I dont know for sure but i added some boron containing fertilizer afterwards but it had already sorted itself out by the time i did. The good thing with my Syagrus is that although it has gotten various deficiencies during its life,it always sorts itself out:)

My Trachycarpus fortunei which are setting seed for the first time in my garden!:)

IMG_2464a.jpg

My smaller Archontophoenix alexandrae

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2465a.jpg

Close up of leaf underside

IMG_2466a.jpg