IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden in Pyrgos...

Kostas

I am glad you like them Basili! :)

I forgot to say previously,these ferns were the contents of the pallet... :lol: All my ferns with the exception of my 2 Dicksonia antarctica,are from the World of Ferns :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Pyrgos is so much different than Athens and many other places of Greece,it has a climate of its own. Its very humid yearround and always in the top 5 warmest cities of Athens,most of the times the No1 warmest city :) The daily tempratures in Pyrgos still exceed 20C with ease everyday and it rains very often along with high tempratures! So Pyrgos doesnt have max. tempratures below 20C for more than 3 months i guess,maybe less. So with this in mind and the fact that the annual lows are although close to 0C,in the +C,i hope that i will be able to grow the more cool climate tolerant Panama Tall coconuts no problem in Pyrgos :)

I tend to somewhat agree with Kostas on the potential of his climate. He really is in a zone 10 like me ( maybe slightly cooler ) but he is lucky enough to have some humidity.

I would love to have a little humidity in my summer desert - it would be quite helpful getting the plams through the first summer.

I find if I can get them through the summer adjusment ( haven't managed adjusting a cococut yet! ) I can get them through the winter - no problem.

Definitely Kostas has an easier time than me.

Regards

Maurice

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

Thank you very much for your support Maurice! :)

I am happy you believe that! However you do must have higher record minimums there living on an island while there has been a record low of -3.6C for Pyrgos...If things go according to the normal for my area though,I will see 18 more mild winters with minimums on the +C before I have to face anything close to -3C and hopefully my most tropical palms will be strong enough to survive it then... :unsure:

So lack of humidity is giving you a very tough time with acclimation...I think that you could solve this problem and make most of the species you like to survive if you do them a gradual acclimation. I would put them potted in a shady and humid part of your property and gradually move them to more sun and less humidity. They will have to grow a bigger root system and make hardier leafs to be able to survive your lack of humidity and they need to be able to live some months/a year to adjust but most wil eventually adjust(and especially coconuts shouldn't be a problem :) ). For those that will adjust but always have burned leafs,give them some canopy or time to grow bigger(depending on the species)and they will grow fine for you! :) Its just that the palms we buy are most always grown in completely different conditions from your climate,in a shady and humid greenhouse/shadehouse. My humidity allows for a reduced acclimation time and more sun tolerance,which is a good plus and allowse to play with tropical and humid loving ferns too without too much hassle from my part :)

Tough grows make you a better grower ;) Wish you to succeed acclimating all your favourite plants and create your tropical paradise as you have imagined it :) Yours is well more advanced than mine already and I am sure it must be the best one in Rhodes,who other has so tropical and rare plants as you there? ;)

Happy growing! :)

Kostas,

have noted this thread a little bit too late, sorry.

What an incredible work and a fantastic garden in a beautiful country. Well done, perfect ensembles of plants. :greenthumb: I thank you for the privileg to share your work with us and let us be a part of your thoughts, impressions and ideas.

Last ... but not least ... you should know that one of my next holidays will take place somewhere in Greece. Do you have rooms enough for some Germans? :D

Best regards, Verena

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Nice new pictures of your plants Kostas!

Still summer over there? Here August was the best summer month with every day above the 20C and also the highest temperature from the year with 34C and close tropical nights close to 20C. Can't wait for next summer...

Now we have to deal with 14-16C coming weekend, however I don't have to complain about that because it's wat above average for here. :)

Robbin

Southwest

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much for your replys Verena and Robbin! :)

Verena,

Thank you very much for your kind comments! I am glad you like my design and my country! :) You are very much welcome!

Its great you will be visiting Greece soon! Close the dates and i will see what i can do regarding the rooms :winkie:

Thanks Robbin! :) Yes,November was generally good here although i think we had some lows too(above 0C). Max temp. was always at or slightly above 20 though :) Right now we are cool and rainny with dailly lows arround 4,5C to 6C and max arround 15C...Its such a good weather for the season that the Prunus amygdalus growing at my neighbouring property in Melissia have just started blooming!!!!A full month or a little more before average!!! This is crazy weather...We have not seen a single below 0C temprature here the whole winter!!!!! And in Pyrgos,things are even better,maximums are at about 20C dailly!!! :rolleyes:

Still,i look forward for summer too!!!Cant wait for good weather to come again and for days to get longer!!!

As i told you at another thread of mine,i went to Pyrgos for my Christmass vacations! We had many guests though most of the time so i actually worked just 2-3days,much less than i had estimated i would and so a lot of work needed was left for another time...I also postponed some plantings for spring as i didnt have much time to plan on the spot the planting sites...Anyway,i still planted arround 5 plants so i am generally happy with that :) Rain has been hard on some of my earlier plantings though,including some i treasure a lot too so it was a mixed happyness...Both happy and sad...With the sad taste prevailing now as i am loosing seedlings of the same species i have in Melissia too for no apparent reason and so i wont probably be able to replace them anytime soon if they die :(

Here are the photos taken during my vacations there...As you will see,most of my palms have leaf damage which i can only explain as leaf fungus damage :unsure: I would however very much like too hear your opinion about what it may be and how i can prevent it from happening again. Also,any info about the survivability of badly hit palms would be great too :)

Male Cycas revoluta...It has already produced lots of cataphylls and is ready to cone anytime :) Last years cone is still holding strong...

IMG_1007a.jpg

1,5year old Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)...The growth this one has put on is just amazing!!!! :drool: A very satisfying palm to watch grow! :)

IMG_1008a.jpg

My smallest Howea fosteriana is doing great and growing just fine despite the severe burn it has from acclimating to full sun a little too fast :)

IMG_1009a.jpg

IMG_1010a.jpg

Next in the planter is a new addition,my most favourite cycad species of all!!!! :drool: I ground planted it during my Christmas holidays with just a cm of root maybe as it is warmer in Pyrgos than in Melissia,where i was growing it and thought i would give it a permanent home already with higher tempratures than it was growing in Melissia :) I made a mess cage with open bottom and buried the free ends of the mesh in the ground to totally protect from snails and cat/(small)dog digging. I really look forward to it growing its root well there and to its first leaf!!!!! :drool: I am quite anxious to see it again although its rainning all the time and even if uprooted,it should remain moist enough to not die anyway...Well,hopefully and even better,hopefully it doesnt get bothered by anything and grow fine to be a beautyfull specieman :)

IMG_1011a.jpg

IMG_1012a.jpg

IMG_1013a.jpg

Blechnum magellanicum looking happy! :)

IMG_1014a.jpg

1,5year old from seed Bismarckia nobilis(Silver) :) It got bitten by my cousin's dog(it likes to bite leafs and leaf bases :angry: )but was just bruised by its teeth. Only dead portions of its oldest leaf got broken fortunately.Now the dog is confined to their property to avoid further damage by it. It has bad leaf biting habits...

IMG_1015a.jpg

Left patio...Strelitzia reginae had finally grown satisfactorily as it was sitting for some months after planting doing nothing obvious...It had started getting a deficiency when i bought it and possibly this delayed its growth but all new growth came perfectly healthy! :) A Cymbidium sp. was also flowering in the patio...Can you ID it? I would very much appreciate it if you could! :)

IMG_1016a.jpg

IMG_1017a.jpg

My Syagrus romanzoffiana...it really sky rocketed this summer/fall!!!! Its now taller than the veranda which must be about 1meter high! And it keeps getting taller!!! :drool: When should i expect it to start going pinnate? It has huge entire leafs but no sign of divided leaf yet...

IMG_1018a.jpg

My Howea fosteriana now have each a good,sun hardy leaf and a tallish emerging spear after sun acclimating last year...Hopefully the new spear should open in early spring and then they will start to better fill out,somewhat at least...But i am content with their undamaged leaf,its really flawless and extreemely beautyfull! :drool:

IMG_1019a.jpg

IMG_1020a.jpg

IMG_1021a.jpg

My smaller Archontophoenix alexandrae...This one was slow to begin with as it burnt a lot even with 30% shade cloth above it in a shady for the most part of the day spot but has steadily increased in speed :) The newest leaf has started looking like something to look at :)

IMG_1022a.jpg

My most robust and now i think only Oenocarpus bataua :( It got damaged for no reason i can think of,its oldest leaf all shrinked at once,as did the dead portion of its newest leaf...I dont understand why but i hope the damage stops there and it resumes the great and healthy growth it had... :( Any idead why this happened? I will be very dishearted if i loose it :(

IMG_1023a.jpg

IMG_1024a.jpg

Ceratozamia miquelliana :)

IMG_1025a.jpg

My second 1,5year old Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) :) This one is smaller than my other one as it was stunted by being planted too deep and by being dug up to get raised to proper planting depth...Since i dug it up and replanted it,it started growing fast and now grows and a very good pace.Its a few leafs behind by bigger one though but still bigger than the happiest of my pot grown ones... :)

IMG_1026a.jpg

Thank you Dundo! :) I am glad you think so! :)

My happiest Loxococcus rupicola! :drool: This one has grown and is still growing great for me! :) It got some newest leaf spotting though,anyone know why? :unsure:

IMG_1027a.jpg

Hyophorbe indica(Southern) red geographical variety :) It doesnt look very happy in appearance but its has grown very fast in this full sun position! :)

IMG_1028a.jpg

Normanbya normanbyi :) Slooow but steady...

IMG_1029a.jpg

My Roystonea oleracea seedling has also been slooow but steady so far :)

IMG_1030a.jpg

IMG_1031a.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum looking just...perfect! :drool:

IMG_1032a.jpg

IMG_1033a.jpg

Caryota maxima(Himalaya) :)

IMG_1034a.jpg

Phyllostachys nigra close up. Last spring's culms are getting black :drool:

IMG_1035a.jpg

My unhappy Loxococcus rupicola :( It got sunburn but also something else that damaged its leafs badly. What do you think was its problem? The sunburn was surface burn but something else got the rest of the leaf... :(

IMG_1036a.jpg

Leaning trunk Dicksonia antarctica recovering from summer's burning hot sun in the fast developing shade of my Grevillea robusta :) I hope this summer the Grevillea will be already protecting it enough to not burn...

IMG_1037a.jpg

My Grevillea robusta :drool: It grew more than a meter in just a year...and is only groung planted for about 9 months! :blink: It grew 30cm still potted last winter... :lol:

IMG_1038a.jpg

My Trachycarpus fortueni are finally starting to grow at a noticable pace...They hardly grew all this time...But root growth has been exploding and obvious at their base :drool: They are now producing bigger leafs than they had and petiole too! :lol:

IMG_1039a.jpg

A striking close up of a newly opened leaf's whitish underside! :drool:

IMG_1040a.jpg

My female Cycas revoluta has already grown lots of cataphylls too and is hopefully getting ready to cone for the first time under my care!!!! :drool: I will try to pollinate the cone and produce viable seeds if it does cone for me this spring! :)

IMG_1041a.jpg

Cryosophila warcewiczii :)

IMG_1042a.jpg

Hey Kostas,

I see some nice progress there. I see you didn't get alot of shrinkage in the first year - except for the Kentias which will probably keep shrinking in the Greek sun for a couple of years and then one day shoot right up.

Don't be so concerned about the couple that didn't / don't make it. Just get bigger ones next time.

The Ceroxylon looks real fine. However, that position could probably do with a little bit of shade for next summer - some bananas or something else fast growing would just do the trick. Ceroxylons really won't like a heat wave with alot of sun! Tough palm to grow.

Regards

Maurice

I

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

Hi Maurice!

Its great to hear from you! :) Thank you very much for your comments! :)

Yes,indeed,i had few shrinkage,even to my Howea with the exception of my smallest one and of my Acanthophoenix rubra which really shrinked a lot! But they are acclimated and robust now :) I hope they are done with shrinking...

Thanks for your advise regarding those who dont make it :( But there are certain palms that are very hard to find and their death means a lot of wait to find them again...Plus there is some attachment related to germinating them from seed or caring for them at difficult times of theirs :( I would hate loosing that Oenocarpus,Loxococcus or my Beccariophoenix....

Thanks for the advise regarding the Ceroxylon! I have many planted in different positions in my garden,i really love them! :) I have not found them to be difficult although due to their soil turning to mush this fall(so much that there was no drainage,they were swimming in their flooded pots :blink: ),some of my potted ones lost most of their root system to rot...However i repotted them after washing out every bit of the rotting old media and they are all fine and growing,although the 2 with the most severe problem lost most of their leafs but are growing new ones now :) I am trying to get them all in the ground as soon as possible as they really do great in the ground for me! :)

The position the Ceroxylon you see is growing in only getting maybe a couple of hours of sun as the sun is blocked by the Olea tree behind it and the old bakery building on the other side of the sidewalk :) I planted this one in July and protected it with 30% shade cloth to acclimate it gradually to full sun and it had no problem at all! It just lost some older leafs but at the same time grew new leafs fast :) I removed the shade cloth last time i was there as it wasnt really needed,it had 1 fully acclimated leaf to 30% shade which would survive full sun. It turned out all its leafs withstood the winter sun just fine :) I was planning on leaving it grow unprotected this summer in full sun as its big enough to handle it without problems. From my experience,45C are nothing even for baby C. amazonicum(grown in shade of course). But as i have no experience with Ceroxylon amazonicum at 45C and full blazing summer sun,i will keep an eye on them and if they show anything,i will be putting the shade cloth again...Thanks for bringing this to my attention! :)

Have a great day!

Best regards,

-Konstantinos

One of my 2 Dioon spinulossum,they havent flushed on me yet and their leafs look a little rough due to the shipping they endured...Looking forward to their flush!!!! :)

IMG_1043a.jpg

My bigger Archontophoenix alexandrae featuring its new red leaf! :drool:

IMG_1044a.jpg

IMG_1045a.jpg

IMG_1046a.jpg

Another Ceratozamia miquelliana :)

IMG_1048a.jpg

Newly planted Heterospathe glauca :)

IMG_1049a.jpg

Kerriodoxa elegans!!! :drool: These have been surprizingly easy,problem free and robust palms! They have been satisfying to watch grow too as their growth,although not the fastest, is very healthy and beautyfull! :)

IMG_1050a.jpg

Newly planted Chamaedorea tepejilote ''Blanco'' :)

IMG_1051a.jpg

IMG_1052a.jpg

My smaller Acanthophoenix rubra :drool: Its new leafs are now almost the size they should be and seem to be getting bigger with each new leaf :) Another problem free grower for me,i just planted and forgot :drool:

IMG_1053a.jpg

IMG_1054a.jpg

My second Dioon spinulossum speciemen which hasnt flushed on me yet either...Looking forward to its flush to get the beautyfull drooping and arching leafs i like! :drool: You can also see a community pot of Bowenia spectabilis seedlings to its right which are all gonna be planted somewhere(everywhere! :lo:)in my garden :)

IMG_1055a.jpg

Kostas, congratulations once again!

One thought about loxococcos and oenocarpus : it's quite probable that their very tropical nature may be the problem...it's been 4 months since we had a close-to-tropical temperature (25C and above) and maybe they get gradually stressed from the prolonged cool weather, even if it hasn't been very cold. I hate to bring this up again, but I believe there's no part of Greece where palms with tropical needs could grow for more than a season or (less likely) two...

Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece

Lat 37° 55' 33" N - Lon 23° 42' 34" E

Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

Hi Basili! :)

Thank you very much for your reply and comments! :)

Unfortunately,i thought exactly the same too about their decline...There just was nothing else wrong in my opinion :( However,i would like to check every other possibility(such as leaf fungus) before concluding to this thought i can do nothing about.

All the best,

-Konstantinos

Another Ceroxylon amazonicum! :)

IMG_1056a.jpg

My Licuala peltata var. sumawongii which had a clogged dripper in summer :unsure:

IMG_1057a.jpg

Matteucia struthiopteris just flushed for the winter! :)

IMG_1058a.jpg

My newly ground planted precious Prestoea acuminata var. montana! :) One of my few survivors but looks and is growing pretty good! :drool:

IMG_1059a.jpg

My Cybotium glaucum is unfurling croziers in the middle of the winter! :drool:

IMG_1060a.jpg

My other Licuala peltata var. sumawongii :)

IMG_1061a.jpg

My newly planted Beccariophoenix sp. ''Windows''!!! :mrlooney: Its leafs are not looking very good unfortunately,they are folded and have surace burn,probably from too much sun. But i can understand why they are folded... The spears look perfectly fine though :) I hope it recovers fast! :)

IMG_1062a.jpg

IMG_1063a.jpg

My second Hyophorbe indica(Southern) Red geographical variety :) It gets a less sun than the other now and its growing better leafs but both are growing very fast regardless of being attractive at this stage or not :) When they grow a bit they will withstand the sun undamaged and look very attractive :)

IMG_1064a.jpg

IMG_1065a.jpg

My bigger Acanthophoenix rubra! :drool: This one is currently opening its first leaf under my care :)

IMG_1066a.jpg

My second Kerriodoxa elegans :) This one had sudden spear necrosis a few weeks after i planted but recovered with no aditional care from my part in no time! It just has 1 less leaf than my other :)

IMG_1067a.jpg

Hi Kostas, great post and wonderful pictures. You hard work in the garden is really paying off and the plants and you both benefit. I noticed a Washingtonia in your walkway and thought it will probably need a lot more room?? Have you noticed rapid growth on this one? Another question, ok two...do you have your Licuala peltata in full shade? and How much sun does your archontophoenix alexandrae get? Thanks and congratulations on your beautiful garden. Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Hi Kostas, your garden in Pyrgos is really a sucessfull case of palm gardening. Despite of some leaf burn, they are gowing well, and beautifuly!

You must love to spend much time at that place!

I would if i were you

Looking good Kostas, :drool: keep on posting.

How much shade do your Kerriodoxa's have?

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Thank you very much all of you for your replys! :)

Peter,

Thank you very much for your kind comments! :)

Yes,both of my Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) are planted next to the walkway but as they are the thin trunking Washingtonia,i think they will fit in the planted fine.But even if not,i will simply widen the planter :lol::) Their leafs may bother for some time but this wont be for long with the speed of growth they have! :drool: Yes,both of my Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) have grown very fast,i grew them from seed 1,5years ago and now my bigger one you see is arround 60cm tall already!!!! My smaller one is about as fast now but as it had some problems(i planted it too deep,it sulked for a while and them i dug it up and raised it so it wasnt growing well for part of the 1,5years,a small part though admitedly as once i raised it,it resumed quick growth very fast!),it is a few leafs behind my bigger one and so smaller overall...

No,both of my Licuala peltata var. sumawongii are getting some sun as well,my damaged from clogged dripper Licuala that is recovering gets only some broken sun for a couple of hours maybe and shade for the rest of the day while my other one with the more leafs,was getting a lot of direct sun from morning to about noon :blink::unsure: but now its getting all day shade or a couple hours of broken sun maybe :) I hope the Beccariophoenix i planted next to it will give it some shade the coming summer :)

My smaller Archontophoenix alexandrae gets shade for most of the day except some sun in the morning and late afternoon. My bigger one is in a generally brighter place and gets broken sun for about half of the day,all noon hours :)

Thank you very much!!! :) You got a much more beautyfull garden yourself too!!! :drool:

Rafael,

Thank you very much for your kind comments,I am glad you think so! I sure love being there!!! Even just watching the Howea fosteriana move in the breeze is great :drool: I love being in the rainforest part of my garden a lot too but i end up doing some kind of work when i am there so its not as relaxing :lol:

Thank you very much Lowey! :) I'll do!!! :winkie:

My bigger Kerriodoxa was growing under some hours of broken sun and shade for the rest of the day but now,due to the Cyathea medullaris i planted next to it,it will be growing in a little more shade than in was. I removed some braches of the trees growing next to my property that were coming in mine through the wires though so it must not receive much more shade than it was growing under :) My smaller one was growing under 30% shade cloth all the time but as soon as the sun stopped hitting its spot(due to the sun angling and getting obstructed by the old bakery building)i removed the shade tent as the wind coupled with the rain,always helped it fall on my Kerriodoxa,plus it is no longer needed. I will replace the shade tent in spring though...

My leafless Zamia lindenii...I look forward to it flushing some leafs but it keeps producing cones instead! :drool: It currently has 2 developing cones...I hope they develop and mature properly... :) What sex is it? I would think its male because of the number of cones but i really dont know... :unsure:

IMG_1068a.jpg

IMG_1069a.jpg

IMG_1070a.jpg

IMG_1071a.jpg

Another Ceroxylon amazonicum!!! :drool:

IMG_1072a.jpg

My sun burnt and badly damaged from drought Dicksonia antarctica(someone unplugged the old bakery building from power last fall,for 15 days and this one was not getting any spraying all this time under the still burning sun :( A developing crozier got black during that time and this fern has still not produced any new leafs even though irrigation has resumed after those 15days...I hope the growing point is alive and that it will produce new leafs soon but it has me worrying a lot... :( )

IMG_1073a.jpg

Yet another Ceroxylon amazonicum! :mrlooney:

IMG_1074a.jpg

My Cyathea medullaris is growing in the middle of the winter too!!! :)

IMG_1075a.jpg

My new red leaf Archontophoenix alexandrae again :)

IMG_1080a.jpg

That was all for now... :) I have missed photographing some palms and other plants so these are not all the plants but close to all :)

Enjoy!!! :)

Kostas,

The Zamia lindenii looks like a male to me but I am no expert, My Kerriodoxa's need a fair amount of shade to look good and the Australian sun does a little damage even though they only get sun for a small amount of the day.

post-3764-1263547629_thumb.jpg

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Hi Kosta,

very nice to see some pics of your garden again. I think in 2 years even the strange looking ones will be fine :winkie:

By the way: next summer I'm planning a trip to greece. It would be great if we could meet up in Pyrgos!?! :rolleyes: But I'll contact you on that later, because I have to pass a couple of exams this and next semester...

Best wishes,

Janni

Hi Kostas!

I had not looked here in a while and it looks like you are having overall good success!

As for the Loxococos, its a miracle if you pull that off any way. I think they really only slightly more hardy than a lipstick palm

Then, the only leafs I usually see that red on an Archontophoenix are the 'maxima". I think that may be what it is. Maximas are known for very fast growth too.

Keep it up!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thank you very much all of you for your replys! :)

Hi Lowey!

Thank you very much for your help and the wonderfull photo! :)

Good to hear it looks like a male to you too :) I guess it will be very easy to verify it's sex when the cones mature! Do you have or know anyone with a female Zamia lindenii to produce some seeds? It would be a shame to waist two cones,plus I would love to grow more plants of this species! :)

Beautyfull Kerriodoxa you have there! :drool: Do you maybe know how old it is from seed?

Both of my Kerriodoxa elegans are planted in areas that will be fully shaded once my plants grow. One is already growing in dappled sunlight and grew there through summer without getting annoyed at all and now shade is increasing due to planting a Cyathea medullaris next to it while my other Kerriodoxa is in an open sunny spot(during summer,winter sun angle prevents any sun reaching it) and so I protected it with 30% shade cloth all summer which I have now removed as it's not needed. I will be protecting again this year though as it will be a good 2-3 years I think before the plants arround it grow enough to starting giving it some shade...

Hi Janni! :)

I am glad you liked the photos :) I really hope what you said comes true :)

That would be great Janni,no problem,i would love to meet you from close and give you a tour of my garden :winkie: Looking forward to hear more from you :)

Exam period is approaching fast for me too unfortunately... :(

Hi Bill! :)

I am very happy to hear that from you! :)

I am not sure this is cold damage Bill,it seems like something different to me. However i will take into account what you say as i didnt know they are so tender,i thought they would be fine to -2C :unsure: If this one dies,i will plant another one in a more protected location where it should be ok. However,my other Loxococcus is fine,it just has some spotting on its newest leaf,nothing else! I think and really hope that one will make it fine :unsure: Plus Eric's survived so that gives me some hope! :)

Thank you very much for your thoughts regarding my new red leaf Archontophoenix! :) From what Australian say,all species can flush bright red. Surely A. maxima are the ones that have it more commonly as its a feature of this species and a reason to grow it! The other species do can have that but not always,in fact,few individuals flush bright red. However,i have seen pictures of Archontophoenix alexandrae flushing a bright,fire red new leaf so the red new leaf doesnt rule out A. alexandrae,although it surely brings the thought to A. maxima or A. cunninghamiana. But one the other hand,what would a A. maxima be doing in a A. alexandrae group of plants for sale? Or why would someone sell A. maxima as A. alexandrae? Still,its possible and worth checking and thank you very much for bringing it to my attention :) Do you maybe know how this can be confirmed or rulled out? :)

Thanks Bill! I will! :)

I will hopefully be going to Pyrgos again this weekend to check how my palms are doing,apply nematodes + Biorend R as a preventive measure against Rhynchophorus ferrugineus,do some irrigation work for spring and maybe even plant something! :)