IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden in Pyrgos...

Kostas

Magnolia grandiflora with an open flower

IMG_0665a.jpg

Female Cycas revoluta flush...Well that was A SERIOUS FLUSH :drool:

IMG_0666a.jpg

IMG_0695a.jpg

IMG_0682a.jpg

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

The main house from the side where its main entrance is...To the far back is the old bakery building and even farther back,another building that belongs to my aunt...

IMG_0690a.jpg

Procceeding towards the main entrance...

IMG_0689a.jpg

Now,looking from the back of the main house towards the main entrance...As you can see,a new patio has been built and is already planted!

IMG_0687a.jpg

Prooven Male Cycas revoluta planted in the ground while growing a cone! :drool:

IMG_0672a.jpg

Procceeding further down the long sidewalk patio starts...

IMG_0673a.jpg

Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) on the spotlight!

IMG_0691a.jpg

Procceeding...

IMG_0669a.jpg

Yucca elephantipes to our left!

IMG_0668a.jpg

IMG_0694a.jpg

Its not visible in the photos but before the Yucca elephantipes patio,we have this patio to our left:

IMG_0699a.jpg

Guess which palm is just planted in there!To help you some,its a remote germinator which sinks its coteledonary petiole quite deep(arround 25cm) before it splits and gives rise to a leaf...The leaf now is just a few cm below the surface and will be visible soon,after many months of wait :mrlooney:

Oenocarpus bataua seedling doing fine planted to the side of a Trachycarpus fortunei!

IMG_0700a.jpg

Second Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) planted to the left of Oenocarpus bataua...

IMG_0701a.jpg

The patio ends with a Phyllostachys nigra clump and in front of it,a Caryota maxima(Himalaya) is just planted!The wooden stick and green rope deters any possible step on...

IMG_0674a.jpg

Dicksonia antarctica and Grevillea robusta...The Dicksonia have burned slightly from the too many hours of direct hot sunlight they receive everyday bust that should no longer be the case once my Grevillea grows,fills up and shades them for good in a few years...I programmed a second,morning watering for them now so the burn should stop where it is :)

IMG_0675a.jpg

IMG_0676a.jpg

Procceeding on the back side of the old bakery building and passing many seedlings i planted such as Arenga pinnata,small Livistona rotundifolia and a Beccariophoenix sp. Eastern(Windows) seedling,,once we reach the wall ahead we find this little gem planted!Licuala peltata var. sumawongii :)

IMG_0677a.jpg

We then proceed from the back to the side of the old bakery building and again,passing a small Livistona rotundifolia,we reach the second gem of the same kind! :)

IMG_0679a.jpg

Castanospermum australe planted to the left of the last Licuala :)

IMG_0681a.jpg

Looking from behind the Magnolia grandiflora...

IMG_0678a.jpg

One of my Archontophoenix alexandrae in the ground at a bad time for photo unfortunately...The pot you see has a Kerriodoxa elegans in it :rolleyes:

IMG_0680a.jpg

Now lets have a look if anything changed in the patios...

Leftmost patio...About the same dont you think?

IMG_0670a.jpg

IMG_0692a.jpg

Lets move to the right patio...Hey,whats that thing shading out my Syagrus?

IMG_0693a.jpg

My Howea fosteriana are planted!!!!!!!! :drool::wub: So that was it,well,it can stay :mrlooney::lol::drool: You can see the culprit for the planting installing the irrigation under the biggest Kentia...

IMG_0671a.jpg

IMG_0667a.jpg

Shot of the area under the Kentia...Isnt the light pattern beautyfull?

IMG_0698a.jpg

And a couple last shots of the view from the veranda now...The flushing Cycas and the Kentias made for a great view!

IMG_0684a.jpg

IMG_0683a.jpg

I hope you enjoyed it! :)

Hi Kostas,

It is so lovely to see a garden being 'born' and even more so when so many of your plants are natives from australia. You are fortunate being able to buy so many advanced size plants too. I have to start with the very small ones and so mine will not be a good size for a very long time to come. Keep the dicksonia well watered and they survive okay in the sun. I hope you know that the grevillea robusta eventually grow into a VERY big tree and the root system can cause problems with drains and foundations. The archontophoenix purpurae do best in shade until they are bigger but the cunninghamia grow best in the sun. I envy all the lovely paving stones you have they look so right for your place. I still walk thru mud until the day I find something that is right for pathways and sitting areas here. Most of the phoenix palms should grow well for you there too and some of the smaller ones like rupicola and roebelinii would blend well into your setting.

Good luck and keep up the hard work.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hi Peachy!

Thank you very much for your comments! I am glad you like how my garden develops :)

I do like many Australian plants and i planted some of them in my garden :) I would love a huge Eucalyptus too but my place is too small for one plus all the palms i want to have as it develops a huge trunk. I do know Grevillea gets huge and thats why i chose it! :drool: It supposedly has a thin trunk for its height and from what i read,it should never exceed 1m in trunk diametre,right? Problems with drains(there arent any :lol: ) and foundations(its just a one story house and has strong cement foundations for its size...) shouldnt be the case for me but even if they happen,i am gonna keep the tree... :)

My Archontophoenix are both alexandrae and have both stopped burning and are growing sun hardy leaves.They were greenhouse grown in central Europe so they had serious changes to adjust,especially in lighting conditions as they were grown to be house plants. While these will pass just about every house now :mrlooney:

I very happy to hear from you they do ok in sun too :) I know in habitat they can grow in full sun too but they have extreemly high humidity there from what i have read. At my place,humidity is very high during the night plus they get a thorough shower and soak from sprinklers but during the day,our sun is much stronger that in their habitat and because there arent other plants near them,humidity is not too high and the soil adjucent to theirs watered by the sprinklers,is bone dry from the heat for about 30cm deep or more,although it rained almost two weeks ago. They seem to do ok though as their leaves still look decent and the longest day approaches soon.Lets see how they handle it and our heat waves with 2 watering per day,i am positive they should not burn more but if they start too,i will set a third at midday!

Its funny you say that i can buy many advanced plants! Variety of ready grown plants here in Greece is low on tropicals so i am in fact quite unable to find what i want in good size so the majority of the palms i plant are seedling i germinate and so they will take long till they look like something to see from far too...However,i was lucky enough to find 3 unexpected species at such great quality and such great price i had never imagined of! Finding so fat trunked Trachys here in Greece is just impossible and being so cheap as these were,its also near impossible.Also,with these ones,i was able to make sure they were pure species and of the same natural variation so all these coupled were great! I will be buying a third one soon as they both turned females and i want a male too for seeds :)

The Cycas revoluta were also something i did not expected to find so well grown,these ones are 15cm fatter trunked than ANY Cycas revoluta i have seen planted in Greece.They are also seed grown and not from pups and they knew their sexes too! And to make things even better,their price was just unreal,100+Euros below any Cycas revoluta trunk price you find on the net or at a nursery and all that in Greece :blink: All other nurseries sell much inferior stock to these at 3X+ the price i got mine.

The 3rd unexpected sp. was Licuala peltata var. sumawongii which i found at a nursery near my house in Athens at big size and very low price.

The Magnolia was something i expected to find. The Dicksonia were bought from The Palm Centre,located in UK so they were not from Greece,trunked individuals are not availiable here and even very young ones are extreemely rare here...But to find all these i found,i searched a lot.I think that where you live,palms and trees must be availiable in much greater variety than here :) Here,its very difficult to find anything else except Phoenix canariensis,P. dactylifera,P. roebelinii,Washingtonia robusta,W. fillfera,Dypsis lutescens,Chamaedorea elegas,Howea fosteriana,Trachycarpus fortunei,Livistona chinensis(rare),Livistona rotundifolia(rare and only small),Areca triandra(rare and only small) and Chamaerops humilis.

I am glad you like my pathways :) I still havent made the pathway to the rainforest area of my garden as i too havent decided on the material yet :unsure:

Thank you for your palms suggestions! :) Unfortunately Phoenix hybridize freely so if i plant one of these in my garden,they will only give hybrid or at best seed of unsure pureness as there are plenty P. canariensis arround...If i plant a Phoenix,it will be P. canariensis but the price hurts and unless its very old(6-8m trunk),you cant know if its pure either :(

Thank you! :)

Happy growing your palms too and wish you to make your garden exactly as you like! :)

Hi Kostas!

Congratulation!!! A paradise was built and born :winkie:

I envy you and the possibilities (planting out) - and wish your plants: Happy growing!!!!

Greetings from a litte village near Salzburg/Austria

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

Hi Moni!

Thank you for your reply! I am fluttered by your comments :) It has just started to look like something now that the Howea fosteriana are planted but still needs at least 3-4 years for the small palms to become visible and the Syagrus to make the shade i wanted it...But in 10-15years it will certainly look like something :rolleyes:

My plants thank you for your wish Moni,and i too! :)

Happy growing too Moni! And you know,with carefull selection,you could always put some palms and other plants in the ground in a greenhouse to enjoy better! :) Or even better,you can come to South Greece! :)

Or even better,you can come to South Greece! :)

I have been - 2007: Athens + Cyclades - hopping as a young couple :winkie: with backpack from island to island - it was great!

Thank you too - I'll try it the next winter with Trachycarpus fortunei and Musa basjoo - protected by a little house (polystyrene)

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

Oh,thats great to hear Moni! :) Cyclades are great for vacations,they are my summer destination almost every year! Some of the islands are especially beautyfull and worth even yearly visits like Skiathos Mylos,Kithnos and Syros.To give you an idea,i have passed 7 of my summer vacations exclussively in Skiathos,i just love this island!Great beaches,water always calm and great diving! Of course no much for tropical reef diving but thats not something i can do every year(and have not done yet unfortunately...my first tropical reef diving experience will hopefully be next year at the Florida Keys :drool: )

As long as it is protected by a heated greenhouse(which can be permanent to reduce the yearly labor...),you can plant anything in the ground,even the most tropical plant,as long as its final height is that of your greenhouse's or less. In other words,you can easily have say a happy,mature and fruiting Kerriodoxa elegans in the ground.Or a beautyfull coning Zamia imperialis :) Trachycarpus fortunei grows too tall to be greenhouse grown all its life so you will at some point need to let it grow unprotected...Mussa basjoo will overwinter fine but wont fit whole in a greenhouse too easily,its a very fast and tall grower in good conditions!(They grow huge in South Greece when properly irrigated :mrlooney: ) Musa velutina would be a better choice for something that will look good all year in ground in a heated greenhouse(just to 0-1C is fine!).

Long live the young couple! :winkie::)

Hi Kostas!

I hope so - that the "young couple" will live further for a long tim - wie have many ideas for the next 100 years :lol:

We did not dive at the Cyclades - "we had no time" :lol: - there was so much to see out of water;

we are diving every two years in the South of the Red Sea in Egypt - highly recommended :D :D for a shirt-trip (2 weeks) and not so far from Europe.

The years inbetween we dived in Mexico, Thailand, Kenia and Jordan. :winkie:

Florida Keys :drool: - I think, it will be great!

Greenhouse: I cannot convince my husband, that it will be good for me (us) :lol: - the costs for building (it should be big :D) and for heating in winter are toooooooooooo high :winkie:

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

Hi Kostas,

I had not viewed this thread in a long time. It is great to see all the progress, keep it up!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

You have an amazing garden Kostas, especially I admire your work with stones and stuff. I know how hard it is on my own experience.

Anyway I got my greenhouse ready this year and I hope to keep some warmth inside during the winter. I´s made of Makrolon plastic and should be more tolerant to cold than glass or any other material. Building things with own hands usually helps to reduce costs and the results are often more satisfiying. I have many palms already growing and maybe soon I´ll post some pics if the time is right. :rolleyes: I´m envy of your climate too because here I can basically grow things which dont interest me much. I have one Trachy growing outside (140 cm), I hope I`ll manage to keep it for a while.. Luckily I`m going to southern spain soon for some weeks..

Good luck with your garden and hope to see it in the future.

howdy

Thank you all of you for your replys! I am glad to have some feedback from all of you! :)

Hehe,Moni,i am sure you have! :lol: I have some plans too i think... :rolleyes:

Wow,you in Red Sea that often? Thats great!

I have been thinking of going but the other members of my family arent that adventurous and dont consider it very safe...I will go someday though! :)

I can say i find the other destinations even more interesting.... :drool:

I think that too! I hope i get to see live the Florida Sunshark too,its a real beauty! :wub:

As Corrossion mentions too,there do are ways to build a greenhouse with far less money that a ready made one or a kit.Heating to just 0C save lots in heating costs and the heating costs are low as long as the greenhouse is not excessively large.A cheap way that comes to my mind immediately is constructing a greenhouse with rebars and pvc tubing,surrounded by double greenhouse film,one inner and one outer for less heat loss.This isnt gonna be the most beautyfull greenhouse but its cheap enough to not even think of construction costs(say 200euro all done for say a 6m by 3m greenhouse along with heating)For something good looking,cost rises but also heating requirements fall as temprature retention is better using polycarbonate sheets for example.But its a start anyway :winkie:

I have a small coldhouse in Athens,made from Dexion shelf structure and shelfs dressed with polycarbonate sheeting that does a fair job for our relatively mild(to yours...) winters unheated.The stuff i grow are planned there for outside anyway and i only want to give some slight protection for their first winter(s) to the most sensitive of my hardy stuff.The non-hardy ones go to my basement after they face a -2C freeze for testing(as they will have to face -2C wherever and if i keep them,they cant be brought to my basement forever!)

Hi Bill! :)

I am glad you like the progress i made,especially since your palms are much rarer and much bigger than mine :) Thank you!

Thank you very much for your kind comments Corrossion! :)

Yeah,if one hasnt done it,he never knows what it means! :lol:

I totally agree with you on dyi work,it feels great and you like it far more than ready made because YOU made it! I constructed my small green(cold)house myself too some years ago with polycarbonate sheeting and it works ok for keeping the temprature higher and the cold spells shorter inside,i am sure yours will work equally well! But without heating,on long freezes the temprature inside does reach the outside low(or at least close) at some point so you cant keep too tender stuff without heating.

Looking forward to pictures of your greenhouse,diy work is always of great inspiration! :)

You do can grow some good stuff there too,many beautyfull ferns can thrive in your place if its wet and also Abies sp. and Cedrus sp. would do great and are very beautyfull! Only drawback with cold hardy stuff is speed of growth:slooooow :(

I wish you good luck with your Trachy! I hope it makes it for you to be a really tall palm!

Happy vacations to Southern Spain! I havent been there but would love to! I have been to middle/South Portugal but not Spain yet :)

Thank you! :)

I am currently ordering some beautyfull tropical plants from Germany so next time will be equally exciting regarding plantings! :drool:

Hi Kostas!

I think, I should have married you and not my husband :lol: :lol: :lol: - - perhaps Heli will change his mind - but I am not shure! :winkie:

Last winter we had a very cold time (-17° for some weeks) and then the costs for heating onlyy for 0° is very high.

My husband prefers to spend the money in holydays (or my botanical "wishes" like these "carports for plants" this spring http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...=0&start=0) ....

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

Hi Kostas,

Your garden is looking fantastic. It has been fun to watch the transformation take place in this thread. Keep up the good work.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Thank you very much for your replys! :)

Moni,

:lol: you are funny! :lol: I am sure your husband must be a very good man! :)

With -17C i guess it would cost some more but still i dont think it would be that much of an expense...But you sure have found a good way of dealing with plants and cold so why mess with it? :winkie::)

Spending money on holidays is an enjoyable way to spend money and him spending them for your botanical needs is great too!You have a very understanding man! I am sure he will one day make you a greenhouse to let you fully show your talent! :winkie:

Thank you very much David and Matt! :)

I am glad you like it and its really great to hear such comments! :)

I cant wait to go plant some more but it will be a few weeks till i can again...

Hi Kostas!

Your are right, my husband is a very good and understanding man - and we will see if he will change his mind :winkie: Or I can change his mind :lol:

Edited by 8er-moni

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

• 2 months later...

Hi Moni!

I am sure you will change his mind someday,i trust you on that :lol:

Here are some pictures of my garden in Pyrgos at the end of June along with some new plantings i did at the time :)

Trachycarpus fortunei

IMG_0714a.jpg

Male Cycas revoluta

IMG_0715a.jpg

IMG_0717a.jpg

IMG_0716a.jpg

Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

IMG_0718a.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis just emerged from the ground :) Remember that picture?

IMG_0719a.jpg

Female Cycas revoluta with a huge flush and leaves even bigger that before :drool: Its taller than me now!

IMG_0721a.jpg

Howea fosteriana acclimating....

IMG_0722a.jpg

IMG_0723a.jpg

IMG_0724a.jpg

Zamia standleyi planted under them,grown from seed :)

IMG_0725a.jpg

IMG_0726a.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana...

IMG_0727a.jpg

...along with the Howea :)

IMG_0728a.jpg

Oenocarpus bataua :rolleyes:

IMG_0729a.jpg

IMG_0730a.jpg

My smaller Washingtonia robusta(Sonora),same size with my other one when planted but because it was planted too deeply,it languished,bleached and was doing poorly,so i raised it :)

IMG_0731a.jpg

Roystonea oleracea :)

IMG_0733a.jpg

IMG_0734a.jpg

Phyllostachys nigra :)

IMG_0735a.jpg

Hmm,whats in there?

IMG_0736a.jpg

Lets take a closer look...Kerriodoxa elegans it is!

IMG_0737a.jpg

Recovering Livistona rotundifolia from severe mite infestation...

IMG_0738a.jpg

Licuala peltata var. sumawongii

IMG_0740a.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae

IMG_0741a.jpg

Second Kerriodoxa elegans...

IMG_0742a.jpg

Castanospermum australe

IMG_0743a.jpg

Smaller Howea fosteriana

IMG_0744a.jpg

Looks great Kostas

the Dicksonia antarctica grows wild in the bush about 30 km from where i live .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Myrialepis paradoxa

IMG_0746a.jpg

IMG_0745a.jpg

A beautyfull butterfly resting on a Magnolia grandiflora branch :)

IMG_0710a.jpg

IMG_0713a.jpg

Now,fast forward many visits,new plantings and almost 2 months latter,here is how my garden looks like :)

Female Cycas revoluta

DSC03289a.jpg

Magnolia grandiflora

DSC03290a.jpg

Looking to the garden area behind the Magnolia from the left side of it...

DSC03291a.jpg

DSC03294a.jpg

A nice Dioon spinulossum is right in front of me as i stand there taking pictures :)

DSC03317a.jpg

Lets have a walk and look closer at what everyone there is....

First,my Archontophoenix alexandrae which is rocketing nicely since planted in the ground :drool: I am hoping to get 1-2 more leafs till winter from him :)

DSC03315a.jpg

As we enter the garden area from the right of the Magnolia,we see these to our left...Can you guess the IDs? :rolleyes:

DSC03314a.jpg

Kerriodoxa elegans

DSC03318a.jpg

Castanospermum australe and Licuala peltata var. sumawongii(recovering from a clogged dripper :( )

DSC03319a.jpg

My potted palm area under my Olea and Ziziphus tree

DSC03320a.jpg

Now,out of this area,at my second Archontophoenix we go which had its shade cloth removed now,finally!

DSC03321a.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana has grown a lot and passed the floor of my veranda in height! :)

DSC03323a.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis

DSC03322a.jpg

Male Cycas revoluta has flushed already!

DSC03324a.jpg

Washingtonia robusta(Sonora)

DSC03325a.jpg

Oenocarpus bataua first leaf!

DSC03326a.jpg

Hi Kostas!

Thank you for taking us with you at a walk through your garten --- it is fine to see, that all of your plants are growing very well :winkie:

It seems, that you where very busy :blink: :blink: :blink:

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

Hi again Moni!

Thank you for your nice comments,much appreciated! :)

Yes,most of my plants did well although there were a few problems with dripper getting clogged from sand(and there is a lot of it in Pyrgos city water...).So i installed a filter system that hopefully with solve the problem it it doesnt clog all the time...

Yeap,i was in full planting mode in my visits!!!! :lol: Plus fixing irrigation problems arrising which is not as fun as planting unfortunately...

Continuing with the update,here is Hyophorbe indica(Southern),Red geographical variety :)

DSC03327a.jpg

Roystonea oleracea

DSC03328a.jpg

Ceratozamia miquelliana :drool: This is where it will be planted once it hardens its new leaf :)

DSC03329a.jpg

Well,that was it,not all of my plants unfortunately as my mother was the one taking the pictures again and only takes photos of the ''new'' and ''noticable growth'' ones,plus only the ones with easy access so there are still some new planting you havent seen yet...Next time i go i will try to be the photographer if garden work lets me... :)