IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden in Pyrgos...

Kostas

3rd...

DSC03112a.jpg

DSC03116a.jpg

Group shot of my smaller potted palms which are all under my Howea fosteriana :) Potted Archontophoenix alexandrae and 2 Livistona rotundifolia,all waiting to be planted! :)

DSC03113a.jpg

DSC03114a.jpg

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

DSC03115a.jpg

It had been two very good days for me in Pyrgos,doing a few major plantings! :) As i was leaving and returning to Athens,i saw two very bright rainbows in the sky,so strong and beautyfull i decided to take a picture of the one for you to see...Here it is! :)

DSC03122a.jpg

DSC03123a.jpg

DSC03124a.jpg

I hope you liked it!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Janni!

I did saw your thread there yesterday,its great! I just didnt had the time to reply yet :)

Btw,i will be going to Nauplio next week :lol:

Hi Kosta,

how's your garden doing? I just saw that tornado on the news on SKAI.gr. did it affect pyrgos?

Hi Janni! :)

Thank you very much for caring! :)

My garden in Pyrgos is doing ok,i went there last weekend and installed a good part of the irrigation system,didnt had the time to bury it though,nor to check if its working...I also brought to Pyrgos with me 2 1m+ tall Licuala peltata var. sumawongi i found at a nursery in Athens,relatively close to where i live so the palms on my garden(since they are still potted and not actually in ground...) rose in number!

The tornado fortunately it didnt affect Pyrgos at all,it was very localized at Vartholomio/Gastouni i think and only about a minute in duration!

There have been strong tornados in the past in the area near Pyrgos,specifically in Katakolo,many years ago,a very strong tornado broke the chapel of a church and threw a very very heavy and huge metal bell many tens(to hundrend) meters away from the church,somewhere in the sea,never to be found again after searching for many days for it...And it was a really huge and famous for its size bell...But no tornado inside Pyrgos,ever from what i know :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello palm fellas! :)

I think its time for a serious photo update for you all :)

In the time past,i went to Pyrgos twice,2 weekends to install one of the most nessesary things to any newly planted garden outside the humid tropics:the irrigation system :) I decided to go for a drip irrigation system with which i am familiar with as i have all my pots at my house in Athens on drip irrigation years now...However,i needed to do some adaptions according to the plants i have and their size so i installed 2 sprinclers in my system too for my 2 Dicksonia antarctica,to be watered dailly on their trunks :) I put all plants save my planted Archontophoenix alexandrae fast on drip irrigation the first time,and installed a WeaterMatic SL800 watering controller so that they will be automatically watered.I did not do everything correctly though it seems and for unknown reason,my controller refused to start at the set times and when i thought it wont water at all,my Aunt saw the sprinclers watering some nights.Then,the past weekend i was there again and saw that my controller had lost all its programmed data :blink: Anyway,for unknown reason again,after reprogramming the controller,this time it worked wonders,starting at programmed times and being reliable after loosing power for some minutes too.So i hope this time and from now on it will work correctly...I also burried the watering lines and pop up sprinclers and only left the drippers and thin lines visible as they need to be adjusted.I also broke the extra cement present at the edges of the patios i hadnt cleaned yet,removed any scrap material from them and added good soil as their level was lower than it should according to the plants.

I had the old bakery building's Elenit roof removed and changed to metal roof as Elenit is a known carcinogen and i had wanted quite some time to change it.We washed the inside of the building with water as well with everything inside so that all dangerous dust particles are removed and the buidling no longer posses a health threat now :)

Now,on the fun stuff,2 weeks ago i bought 2 1,20m tall Licuala peltata var. sumawongii from a nursery close to where i live in Athens for only 40Euros each and transported them to Pyrgos where i repotted them to 50liter pots till i have everything right to plant them i the ground :)

I will be going to Pyrgos for a week as my Easter vacations so i will have time to do some more plantings and enjoy my ''very young'' garden :)

And now we go to the photo part of the update :)

I decided to do you a walkthrough so that you see some more from arround the main house and my view from the veranda to my garden.Ok,so,here we go!

Exiting from the side door of my house in Pyrgos and looking towards the garden at the back...

DSC03131a.jpg

Walking down the pathway,we reach the veranda...

DSC03132a.jpg

At the left of this photo,is the BBQ which is exactly at the end of the pathway...

DSC03133a.jpg

My Archontophoenix alexandrae...View from the veranda.It has been burned more since the last time although its under a 30-40% shade cloth.The spear is growing though and is perfectly green as well as the newest leaf so i think it will do just fine...

DSC03134a.jpg

DSC03135a.jpg

DSC03136a.jpg

DSC03136a.jpg

View to the side of the old bakery building...

DSC03137a.jpg

DSC03138a.jpg

My Trachycarpus fortunei,standing strong although i never staked them :)

DSC03139a.jpg

My Yucca...A sure id on this one would be great! :) The freedge and the washing machine are old stuff removed from the old bakery building and waiting my uncle to take them to his storage buidling as he wanted them but i couldnt hold them for him in there any longer,he had a year to take them but still hadnt done that so out they went...

DSC03140a.jpg

DSC03145a.jpg

My 2 Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) seedlings,i will be planting one in the ground during my easter holidays...

DSC03141a.jpg

DSC03142a.jpg

DSC03143a.jpg

My Syagrus romanzoffiana...

DSC03144a.jpg

Cycas sp. Not sure which,probably C. revoluta but i would appreciate it if anyone could id it for sure :) There will be various photos of it in my thread :)

DSC03146a.jpg

DSC03147a.jpg

Lower part of my Magnolia grandiflora :)

DSC03148a.jpg

The sidewalk at the right of the old bakery building...

DSC03149a.jpg

Phyllostachys nigra

DSC03150a.jpg

DSC03151a.jpg

DSC03152a.jpg

DSC03153a.jpg

The temporary support of my leaning Dickonia antarctica...

DSC03154a.jpg

And the plant itself!Two croziers are now visible inside the fur of the growing point :)

DSC03155a.jpg

DSC03156a.jpg

DSC03157a.jpg

A view of the garden behind the old bakery building showing my Grevilea robusta which has been a fastand reliable grower so far,awesome tree!!! :)

DSC03158a.jpg

DSC03159a.jpg

My straight trunked Dicksonia antarctica :drool:

DSC03160a.jpg

DSC03161a.jpg

Unrolling leaf close up...

DSC03162a.jpg

DSC03163a.jpg

Croziers :rolleyes:

DSC03164a.jpg

DSC03165a.jpg

DSC03166a.jpg

DSC03167a.jpg

Crown close up :drool:

DSC03168a.jpg

My Howea fosteriana...

Smaller one...

DSC03169a.jpg

DSC03170a.jpg

Medium one along with my larger Licuala peltata var. sumawongii...

DSC03171a.jpg

DSC03172a.jpg

Cold burned Livistona rotundifolia...My damaged one from tempratures of about 0 to -2C...The burned newest leaf is from sun,not cold...

DSC03173a.jpg

Larger Howea fosteriana leaf close up

DSC03174a.jpg

DSC03175a.jpg

My smaller Licuala peltata var. sumawongii...It has small leaves because it was getting partial sun where it was in the greenhouse,thats why it burned only slightly where it is,receiving direct sun for a couple of hours...

DSC03176a.jpg

DSC03177a.jpg

A beautyfull native plant that sprouts from everywhere in my garden :) I like it a lot so i never intentionally cut it or damage it :) However many get unintentionally damaged from walking on or due to neccessery digging to burry irrigation lines or for planting,etc.This particular speciemen is many years there and always beautyfull as none walks that close to my Olea europea :)

DSC03178a.jpg

DSC03179a.jpg

DSC03180a.jpg

Looking at the Magnolia grandiflora from the left side of the old bakery building,showing the main house in background.The 1st floor is mine while the 2nd belongs to my aunts...

DSC03181a.jpg

My potted Archontophoenix alexandrae waiting to be planted during my Easter holidays :)

DSC03182a.jpg

DSC03183a.jpg

My undamaged Livistona rotundifolia,it withstood the same degrees as my damaged Livistona with just very very little more overhead Washingtonia canopy...

DSC03184a.jpg

The base of my bigger Howea fosteriana...

DSC03185a.jpg

Looking up from below a Howea fosteriana leaves :mrlooney:

DSC03186a.jpg

Our native plant again...

DSC03187a.jpg

My bigger Howea fosteriana...

DSC03188a.jpg

DSC03189a.jpg

Howea fosteriana again...

DSC03190a.jpg

DSC03191a.jpg

DSC03192a.jpg

The pit where the irrigation solenoid valves are...

DSC03193a.jpg

Cycas sp. female cone :)

DSC03194a.jpg

Sporophylls

DSC03195a.jpg

DSC03196a.jpg

Growing point...

DSC03197a.jpg

Unknown plant,it was in this container as a sideplant and the main plant died and this has been growing without any care there for years...Its a shade plant getting too much sun,thats why its not top color...

DSC03199a.jpg

DSC03200a.jpg

Trachycarpus fortunei growing point... :)

DSC03201a.jpg

DSC03202a.jpg

Leftmost patio with Strelitzia reginae,Photinia fraseri ''Red robin'' and hybrid Cymbidium orchid...

DSC03204a.jpg

Cycas sp...

DSC03206a.jpg

DSC03207a.jpg

That was it! I think this time i must have satisfied you with plenty of photos :)

I hope you liked it!!! :)

Excellent work Kostas! Those tree ferns are going to look great when they grow a new crown.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Thank you very much for your reply Jeff! I very much appreciate your comments! :)

Cant wait to go to Pyrgos again and check on those tree ferns and my Howea :mrlooney:

Hi Kosta,

very well done! I wish my grandparnets had a property near to a coast. but instead of that... Kozani in the mountains!

Wish you happy easter holidays.

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for your nice comments and your wishes Janni! :)

I went to Pyrgos for my Easter holidays as i told and did some work but not as much as i was hoping for due to having guests most of the time.So,as the work wasnt completed and as i made new plans for patio extension and a further new patio,i went again a week after and then again last weekend :)

Here is how it looked like after each of my visits:

After Easter holidays :) All pictures taken by my mother...

BBQ

DSC03217a.jpg

Dicksonia antarctica and Grevillea robusta

DSC03218a.jpg

Straight trunked Dicksonia antarctica...

DSC03219a.jpg

Close up of its crown...

DSC03220a.jpg

A few pictures taken from the veranda

DSC03222a.jpg

DSC03221a.jpg

Me on the work installing drippers for the new plants :)

DSC03223a.jpg

The weekend after Easter holidays...

Licuala peltata var. sumawongii is in the ground! :drool:

DSC03224a.jpg

DSC03225a.jpg

New,male Cycas revoluta just bought! You can see he is huge! It hasnt coned on me yet so i am a little anxious for him to show a sure sign of its gender...

DSC03226a.jpg

DSC03227a.jpg

My Trachycarpus fortunei flowered! :mrlooney:

DSC03228a.jpg

DSC03229a.jpg

Oenocarpus bataua germinated seed just planted in the ground already! :rolleyes: I planted the grass you see close to it to provide some shade as i was afraid in may burn...

DSC03230a.jpg

Young Washingtonia robusta(Sonora collected seed) seedling in ground! :)

DSC03231a.jpg

Looking at the Trachycarpus fortunei and Cycas revoluta from the sidewalk of the old bakery building,towards the house

DSC03232a.jpg

Male Cycas revoluta again :)

DSC03234a.jpg

Leaning Dicksonia antarctica with new leafs expanded,they are HUGE :drool:

DSC03236a.jpg

And now the photos from my last visit to Pyrgos :)

My mother wanted to have some accent plants fast so we went and bought some she liked and i found acceptable.Some will remain,some will be moved to other positions and some will be completely removed once i have the accent plants i plan on adding.For now i am concentrating to planting the main plants,palms and trees in other words as i want them to grow up and establish fast to later accept the accents below them.

Phyllostachys nigra with new culms grown,its 3+meters tall now!

DSC03235a.jpg

Callistemon laevis replaced the continuously sick and wimpy Phottinia fraseri ''Red Robin'' and now its a pure plant too and not a cultivar :)

IMG_0586a.jpg

IMG_0587a.jpg

The leftmost patio with an accent plant added

IMG_0588a.jpg

The second Washingtonia robusta(Sonora) is now planted in the ground at the edge of the patio expantion towards the house i had made :) Accents plants surround it...

IMG_0589a.jpg

More accent plants at the Trachycarpus base...

IMG_0591a.jpg

IMG_0590a.jpg

Male Cycas revoluta

IMG_0592a.jpg

My Syagrus romanzoffiana putting out some growth :) Accent plants added here too...

IMG_0593a.jpg

More accents...

IMG_0594a.jpg

My Yucca elephantipes with accents added

IMG_0595a.jpg

IMG_0596a.jpg

My second Archontophoenix alexandrae is finally in the ground! I moved my middle Howea fosteriana above it to protect it from direct sunlight at noon(the only time that hits this area) and to acclimate the Kentia to more sun...

IMG_0597a.jpg

IMG_0598a.jpg

Castanospermum australe ground planted! :) Hopefully one day it will be like Eric's :drool:

IMG_0599a.jpg

Licuala peltata var. sumawongii

IMG_0600a.jpg

Ground planted Livistona rotundifolia.This one had serious problem with spider mites and a little root rot but somehow it got rid itself from them and is now opening its spear which was almost unnafected by the mites.I hope it grows fast and become beautyfull again :)

IMG_0601a.jpg

IMG_0602a.jpg

Hi Kosta,

nice to see some pics of your garden again. Looks like everything is doing well... how are your archontos developing?

The back from the old bakery building where my Dicksonia antarctica and Grevillea robusta are...

IMG_0603a.jpg

IMG_0604a.jpg

IMG_0606a.jpg

Phyllostachys nigra

IMG_0605a.jpg

These were all the photos i have from my trips to Pyrgos.I will go there again this weekend plus Monday(its a celebration day and its off work :) ) so i will do some more planting and shaping.

Till then,

Have a good time! :)

Hi Janni!

Yes,most things are doing well! My Archontophoenix are handling the sun and everything ok too now(burning has stopped on the one i planted a few months ago,on the new one,i have no idea if it burned or not,i will have to see...) and are on a good way to full acclimation.But they are moving slower than i expected from what i read about them,possibly due to having to adjust to new,totally different conditions from where they were growing.I hope they speed up once they fully acclimate...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I went to Pyrgos last weekend as you may know but forgot my camera there...However,i had my Aunt send me my camera with a courier so here are last time's photos! :)

This time was fantastic,i planted lots of palms(although many in tiny sizes...) that changed the scenery and witnessed quite some growth from my Cycas plants so all in all it was a great weekend for me! I was drooling with what i was leaving behind when i finally had to make the trip home... :(

But enough words,lets see some picturezzz :lol:

Lets start with the less exciting stuff,here is a decorated tap at the sidewalk of the main house...

IMG_0661a.jpg

Some photos of my veranda...

IMG_0662a.jpg

IMG_0663a.jpg

BBQ,this worked full time that weekend :lol:

IMG_0664a.jpg