IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wundermap/Weather Underground

bubba

Listening to all this whining about weather throughout the state of Florida caused me to look at this new tool.It is incredible.

You can review temperatures all over the world and that includes very specific detail of your area.Certainly,all these weather stations are not perfect and you will see some anomolies but it does present an interesting overview of your Region or area of interest.

As it relates to Florida,we are experiencing a cool front.There is no question that the Jet is taking a deep dive South.A review of Wundermap shows the following:

Palm Beaches/South-Highs-Mid to upper 70's

Naples/Ft.Myers-Highs-low to mid70's

St.Pete/Tampa-Highs-mid 60's

G'ville-Highs-lower 60's

Jacksonville-High-upper 50's to low 60's

Tally-High-mid-50's

Gulf Coast-High-mid to upper 50's

Habana-High-mid 70's

To me,mid 70's/mid 50's is perfect.I understand that those in Tampa/St.Pete may not be happy with mid60's/mid 40's but it is far from the end of the world.Even Habana is only mid 70's.I bet they are enjoying that!

What you look for is what is looking

Agreed Bubba. Weatherunderground is great. Much more detailed info than weather.com.

After breaking the high temp record every day from Saturday through Monday, a cool front sounds good about now.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Agreed Bubba. Weatherunderground is great. Much more detailed info than weather.com.

After breaking the high temp record every day from Saturday through Monday, a cool front sounds good about now.

Just heard John Coleman say it looks like we're getting rain for Thanksgiving....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yes, a great site for sure. Too bad noone has a recording station near my home. The airport is the closest thing to me and those readings are always lower.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Weatherunderground is fantastic.

The only caveat is that most of the stations are not "official", so one can never be sure of exactly how the temperature is being measured, if the equipment is accurate, etc. However, there are so many stations in most areas, that a general consensus can be seen and one can easily spot the readings which do not make sense.

There is a station near me that on many nights always tended to read 1-2F warmer, and it was in an area that I didnt think would be any warmer at all. Since it was close by, I drove to see it and noted that the sensor was installed about 15 ft in the air! So, on many cold nights with still air, its no wonder it read warmer.

There are other stations which read far colder than I would have expected. One can only guess at why (perhaps sensor is really low to ground or maybe the sensors are just "off?).

In any case, the WU site and associated stations have really helped me to see how the temps vary over a given area. And, the added fact that the site acts as a data repository is an added bonus.

I log all my data there every 1-2 seconds.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findwe...uSelect=WEATHER

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Yes, a great site for sure. Too bad noone has a recording station near my home.

Christmas is coming up :rolleyes:

You could be that "someone" with the reporting station to set those McDill readings right! I would like to see where they have that sensor installed someday.

Larry 

The key to getting the MacDill temperature corrected is to get that crack pipe away from the instrumentation operator.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Agreed, it's a very useful tool. I have a tab in Firefox permanently open showing mine and the surrounding counties and, as Larry said, there are usually enough stations to be able to spot the weak links. It's also useful for verifying your own data.

Larry you should find that when you look at the stations in the list view, they show what hardware they are using, which is often an indication of accuracy for the personal weather stations, although doesn't account for poor installation.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Hi All,

I was wondering what was a Great weather station that has accurate readings? i am a bit confused what to buy

between a Davis, Oregon scientific or a la crosses i think is weather.com not sure? anyone have any luck with these weather stations?

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Falcon-

Of those youve loisted, Davis is far and away superior. Ive had several Oregon Scientific units and they are nowhere near the quality of the Davis unit which I now have.

Larry 

Hi All,

I was wondering what was a Great weather station that has accurate readings? i am a bit confused what to buy

between a Davis, Oregon scientific or a la crosses i think is weather.com not sure? anyone have any luck with these weather stations?

I wish I could remember what mine was - so I could recommend you never buy it! It was years ago and never did work right. In a borderline hurricane, the stupid anonometer registered a whopping 6mph. And that was the only time it showed a windspeed at all. The thermometer readings weren't much better. We couldn't figure out how to get it to work and gave up.

Re: Wx-underground - I love that site, and refer to it often, but especially in tropical season. Jeff Masters' blog is always a good read too.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Davis is the cheapest and most configurable of the accurate stations, you have to pay a lot more to get any better than the Davis kit.

Just looks at the stats, even the Oregon Scientific, which is probably the best of the cheaper stations has a temperature accuracy of +/- 2.0°C. Is that really of any use to someone wanting to know absolute lows for plant survival?

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Wunderground provides a great ammount of information, however they take the same, or extremly close to teh same forecast that NOAA provides.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

• 2 weeks later...

Cool beans, thanks for the heads up!! I like the html weather stickers, now i can just check my sig for updates on the weather!! haahah

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

Cool beans, thanks for the heads up!! I like the html weather stickers, now i can just check my sig for updates on the weather!! haahah

How do you attach this to your signature?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

How do you attach this to your signature?

Just follow the instructions here, that is how i did it.

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/Weather_Stickers

Randy

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif