IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

12 year drought in Australia

John Case

During halftime in tonights struggle between the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins, a reporter from our country, standing in front of the Sydney Opera House, reported the following:

1) Australia is in a drought that is now 12 years old, probably due to global warming. Now if she was so concerned about GW, I assume she made the trip from California to Australia in a rowboat.

2) She reported that the icecap on Mt. Kilamanjaro was melting giving problems to the residents in Tanzania (obviously a state in Australia) in the matter of flooding. This was in the next sentence.

So we now have global warming causing drought and flooding simultaneously.

3) She also intimated that the sea levels were rising and the impact that it would have on islands. Assuming that Australia is a really big island...........I just don't know where to go on this......

The report was completely disjointed. It was clear to me that she had drunk the koolaid ( maybe it is warmaid, to support global warming).

Can anyone in OZ help me out here? How are things on Mt. Kilamanjaro?

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Is Sarah Palin/Tina Fey moonlighting for Sunday Night Football ?

Australia, Africa, isn't there a Mt.Kilimanjaro in both islands/countries? :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

During halftime in tonights struggle between the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins, a reporter from our country, standing in front of the Sydney Opera House, reported the following:

1) Australia is in a drought that is now 12 years old, probably due to global warming. Now if she was so concerned about GW, I assume she made the trip from California to Australia in a rowboat.

2) She reported that the icecap on Mt. Kilamanjaro was melting giving problems to the residents in Tanzania (obviously a state in Australia) in the matter of flooding. This was in the next sentence.

So we now have global warming causing drought and flooding simultaneously.

3) She also intimated that the sea levels were rising and the impact that it would have on islands. Assuming that Australia is a really big island...........I just don't know where to go on this......

The report was completely disjointed. It was clear to me that she had drunk the koolaid ( maybe it is warmaid, to support global warming).

Can anyone in OZ help me out here? How are things on Mt. Kilamanjaro?

John, yes there has been a long drought in Australia, although it seems to have broken in some areas. I don't know if it has anything to do with global warming. Australia has had a history of bad droughts ever since European settlement here...it is just the nature of our climate, being the world's driest landmass.

My Kilamanjaro is in Africa, a few thousand miles to our west...maybe confused with our tallest mountain, Mt Kosciuszko?

Sounds like she was drinking Brawndo...

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl,

American media has rewritten history and continues to do so. With its success in this arena, it appears they are trying to rewrite geography too.....

I'm a little familiar with your dryness history,...after all isn't most of the interior desert? I was trying to poke fun at the silliness that a broadcaster, who obviously knows not a thing with regard to science, is repeating the new monster. Global warming is now the cause of many things in this country when an easy blame cannot be placed.

In fact, we do not have to understand how global warming affects the world, we just have to accept it.....king of like believing in God. Many who question it are crucified (figuratively, at least).

I just need to know,.....what is Brawndo?

John Case

Brentwood CA

With these sort of wild, broad comments which are said in ignorance, it's no wonder that the general population of the world is thoroughly confused as to whether global warming is real, imagined, or to what level of severity it will impact upon there lives. To be honest I think deforestation is a worse situation and the two problems are linked. If you have the forests, you have the ability to trap the carbon back into the vegetation. No amount of "carbon trading" or political hoo haa is going to make a squat of difference if our forests have been reduced below a critical level, or been reduced to nothing.

When the ship has a hole in it, the main concern is to block the hole immediately, not debate what size the hole is, who should be responsible for overseeing and/or fixing the hole, whether it's actually a "hole", or an absence of structural timber, or a natural thing that timber does when it rots, or forming a committee to form a committee to form another committee to discuss the problem, and put time frames into operation to slightly block the hole by 2020. This ship has no lifeboats.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

So, let's just say that the globe is warming. For every negative effect of that warming, man has also made a positive adjustment, aka living in some place that was heretofore not livable.

So, every move made towards one end considered to be positive, would have a negative effect elsewhere.

Whether man causes it or not, it is a fact that the earth's climate will always be moving, either heating or cooling in cycles. Man cannot change this, but man must adjust to this.

So really, heating or cooling, who cares. We adapt or die. Pretty simple really.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

So, let's just say that the globe is warming. For every negative effect of that warming, man has also made a positive adjustment, aka living in some place that was heretofore not livable.

So, every move made towards one end considered to be positive, would have a negative effect elsewhere.

Whether man causes it or not, it is a fact that the earth's climate will always be moving, either heating or cooling in cycles. Man cannot change this, but man must adjust to this.

So really, heating or cooling, who cares. We adapt or die. Pretty simple really.

I would agree with you , Keith, if we knew whether we are warming or cooling. I see data that is convincing on both sides.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Daryl,

American media has rewritten history and continues to do so. With its success in this arena, it appears they are trying to rewrite geography too.....

I'm a little familiar with your dryness history,...after all isn't most of the interior desert? I was trying to poke fun at the silliness that a broadcaster, who obviously knows not a thing with regard to science, is repeating the new monster. Global warming is now the cause of many things in this country when an easy blame cannot be placed.

In fact, we do not have to understand how global warming affects the world, we just have to accept it.....king of like believing in God. Many who question it are crucified (figuratively, at least).

I just need to know,.....what is Brawndo?

John,

Watch the movie 'Idiocracy' and all will be revealed....hehe :winkie:

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!