IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea rivularis

Tampa Scott

I'm hoping to get some local opinions on this. I have a triple out growing its pot that I am hoping to plant. Location will be full sun, northern exposure but will be subject annual freezes that can go down to 25f (east of Tampa inland). I saw Erics post in how it was planted in mucky conditions so it will be located somewhat near a sprinker head and near a septic drainfield. I had silk floss that exibited extreme growth near the location but declined due to the past 2 years freezes and and eventual fungus.

Does it have a chance in this location? :unsure:

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

Check out these puppies.

Anyone seen bigger, outside of Madagascar?

I'll bet the one outside South Coast Plaza, in Costa Mesa are at least as large, if not bigger.

Gonna see soon . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm hoping to get some local opinions on this. I have a triple out growing its pot that I am hoping to plant. Location will be full sun, northern exposure but will be subject annual freezes that can go down to 25f (east of Tampa inland). I saw Erics post in how it was planted in mucky conditions so it will be located somewhat near a sprinker head and near a septic drainfield. I had silk floss that exibited extreme growth near the location but declined due to the past 2 years freezes and and eventual fungus.

Does it have a chance in this location? :unsure:

25 degrees is very cold--it'll make it through once, but twice? Three times in a row? I wouldn't bet on it...

This is my juvenile. It was planted beneath heavy canopy and beside a wall, at the height of the cold dry season in Feb this year and despite little to no rain and just watering twice a week it has sent two fronds in seven weeks and is already getting ready to open the third spear. Zero transplant shock despite the fact that it was bought planted in mostly fine sand and my garden soil is thick.

DSCF0142.jpg

Edited by Kumar

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

My R. rivularis get hit with frost and mid to upper 20s most every year and pull thru.They should be back to their glory by late June.

My R. rivularis get hit with frost and mid to upper 20s most every year and pull thru.They should be back to their glory by late June.

With that being said I may now give this a shot. Scott what part of Tampa do you live near? I used to be in South Tampa and their really is a difference to where I live now.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill

It seems this palm deals very well with transplanting. Mine was taken off the ground, into a large pot. So far, 4 weeks after, no stress shown, and growing like never before. I am still surprised! But also distrustful.

With that being said I may now give this a shot. Scott what part of Tampa do you live near? I used to be in South Tampa and their really is a difference to where I live now.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I live in the Citrus Park area in NW Hillsborough Co. If you can grow P. roebelenii you should be ok with R. rivularis . Plant R. rivularis in a wet spot or keep well watered.

Aye Bill... You got any canopy over there in ValRicky...

I've got a ten foot or so, two inch caliper LiveOak you can have if you wanna dig it out...

It's not immediate canopy, but still... One day.

I've since planted a bamboo grove, and it's actually in the way...

I just planted it about six or seven months ago, so it ought to dig out easy...

...Just a thought. Lemme know if you want it, you know where I'm at...

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I live in the Citrus Park area in NW Hillsborough Co. If you can grow P. roebelenii you should be ok with R. rivularis . Plant R. rivularis in a wet spot or keep well watered.

Roebelenii a plenty - though many were damaged over the last 2 years - I think I have a spot for them. Do you think a clump of 3 would compete too much for nutrients here?

Bill

Aye Bill... You got any canopy over there in ValRicky...

I've got a ten foot or so, two inch caliper LiveOak you can have if you wanna dig it out...

It's not immediate canopy, but still... One day.

I've since planted a bamboo grove, and it's actually in the way...

I just planted it about six or seven months ago, so it ought to dig out easy...

...Just a thought. Lemme know if you want it, you know where I'm at...

~Ray.

Ray,

Thanks for the offer man and i'll pass. I think i'm going to go without oak canopy in the back for now and plant more hardy species, the rivularis will be the most marginal one after I move the Attaleas. Though my water oaks in the front are at the end of life expectancy so I have about 10 seedlings going now.

Bill

Sounds like your taking advice from people in Miami.

They don't have the foggiest ideer about Central FL grows.

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

• 5 years later...

This old thread seems to be full of pictures of Majesty Palms (Ravenea Rivularis), so I have decided to add a few more Majesty Palm photos which I took recently in southern California.  Below is the first photo.  As you can see, the tall one on the left seems to be suffering from some sort of nutrient deficiency/yellowing, but the rest are healthy (click to enlarge).

0610161353b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Check out this Majesty Palm with the curved trunk.  I don't know how this happened.

0610161355a.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here are the same two  Majesty Palms again with the photo taken from a different angle this time.  Don't Majesty Palms look great when they grow tall?

0610161359b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here is a house which had four Majesty Palms, among other palms.  This is a photo showing the two Majesty Palms on the right-hand side of the house.

0611161605.jpg

• Upvote 2

This is the same house, but this photo shows the two Majesty Palms on the left-hand side of the house.

0611161606c.jpg

• Upvote 2

SL:

Where in So Cal were your pictures taken?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave ... at least one pic appears to be easily found. Corner of Kingswell Ave and Commonwealth Ave (Los Angeles)

Google street view.

Screenshot (41).png

The house was in Los Feliz (LA), just down Kingswell Street from Le FIGARO bistro on Vermont. The other photos were taken at a hotel in Anaheim, the Sheraton.

Doomsdave, I seem to recall a thread a couple of years ago in which you posted many photos of Majesty Palms around LA. One had a fantastic, curved trunk like the one above, but I can't seem to find it now.

• 2 years later...

Here's a nice Majesty I just found near Metrowest Orlando in an apartment complex off of Kirkman road. In person today, it seemed noticeably taller and more healthy than this picture from streetview 2 years ago.

5bd1ef851dc10_MajestyPalmConroyRoad.thum