IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea rivularis

Tampa Scott

Often sold for house plants,not to often seen in the landscape in Central Florida. My favorite palm. Planted from a 3 gal pot in 1998. This Female tree flowered for the first time in 2007.

Edited by Tampa Scott

and another one of mine. Planted from a 3 gal. pot in 1998. Flower stalks now appearing on this one.

Edited by Tampa Scott

Bewdiful. :wub:

This is one species that's kind of close to my heart, and I only have one.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

and a picture of the trunk of my shade grown R.rivularis. This was also planted in 1998 from a 3 gal pot. Growth is much slower than the two growing in full sun.But the trunk has a more attractive look.

and a picture of the trunk of my shade grown R.rivularis. This was also planted in 1998 from a 3 gal pot. Growth is much slower than the two growing in full sun.But the trunk has a more attractive look.

Wow, I must have a monster. Mine has about 4 foot of trunk and the girth is about twice as thick as yours. It is next to a sprinkler so it gets planty of water. Based on the name I would think they like wet feet.

This one of the most under rated palms around here. Everyone is always complaining that it is sold as a houseplant. I planted mine out less than a year after I moved to my house and it has been 7 years and the thing look gorgeous. Scott yours look awsome, I wish mine was flowering.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

They are lovely. I have 2 of them in pots but they are only 1 meter in height. I wasn't aware they liked a lot of water.

Cheers,

Laurie

Laurie

Melboure, Australia

Lat: 37.82 Degrees South

Long: 144.04 Degrees East

Scott,

Ravenea rivularis is typically knocked because it's around so much. But, well grown, it's quite nice. My largest one was planted from a box about 1985. Below is a picture I took in 1987 of the tree. At the time it had about 6 feet of trunk. That's my wife next to it in our garden. It now has about 35 feet of trunk. Sorry, I haven't taken a photo recently that I can show. The trunk diameter at the base is about 24 inches or more. It's as big as a well grown Royal Palm. It, like all others, seems to taper the trunk at the top. They like lots of water, good draining soil and plenty of fertilizer.

Phil

Ravenea rivularis: Picture taken in 1987, San Diego, CA

ravenea_rivlaris_001.GIF

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Nice photos guys, this really is a beautiful palm and for being so common in San Diego, you see so few that are well taken care of.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The pictures of the two sun grown R. rivularis do not show the trunk base in the pictures to well. Here is a photo with mens Lg size Croc. The shade grown palm has a much smaller trunk.

Edited by Tampa Scott

Nice looking palms! It is too bad they get passed over because they're common. A bet a small grove of these guys of various heights would look spectacular. I see some grown around here, but most are dieing for more water and some fertilizer.

South Florida

It's a really beautifull one, thanks for sharing this pictures with us. I've got two seedlings couple years ago, but the died after the winter when the sun was burning on them.

Robbin

Southwest

Scott, those are the nicest R. rivularis I have seen in the Tampa Bay area. Most people don't take care of them and they never look as good as yours! They are really stunning palms when they get that big.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Anyone got any pics of multiplanted majesties?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

That shade grown trunk is nice looking. One of my favs as well.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Scott,

I bought two 'triple' Ravenea rivularis in 3 gallon pots and planted them in my yard two years ago. I cut off two of the three trunks from each group because I honestly didn't have enough room to have a triple grouping in the spots I've planted them. Does it take these palms a while before they start to get fat and tall? The first year they barely grew at all (but were nice and dark green/healthy looking). Each one now has about 3 feet of clear trunk on them, but the trunks are still fairly thin. They look healthy and happy, but they sure don't look like some of the pictures I've seen on here. I was just wondering what your experience was with their growth speed? Does it take many years for the trunk to fill out?

Scott,

WOW, impressive!!! I have a few large ones too but they are yellow. I allways figured it was the hard water that caused that. Should i give them more Nitrogen??? What is your fertilizer that you use???

Your Majestys look FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Here are pictures of these palms in 2002. I do feed these palms with Lesco palm fertilizer. I feed a light feeding every other month. My home was built on the site of a Dairy Farm and for the most part my soil is a very rich black type of soil. I do not have the typical sandy soil found around here. I do try to keep the soil moist for these and they have their own sprinkler for watering. If you notice (in 2002 pics)the palm near the house had out grown the one by the Koi palm,but two years ago the one by the house lost the crown to bud rot ( you can see a little scarring on trunk) so it lost some growth time and the other one caught up with it in size.

Edited by Tampa Scott

These guys yellow worse than any other around my digs. I gave mine away quite a few years ago now. Not a big fan but I have seen some real big ones and they impress me. Like these guys from a palm society outing we had a few years ago.

post-51-1226517537_thumb.jpg

post-51-1226517557_thumb.jpg

post-51-1226517578_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Scott,

WOW, impressive!!! I have a few large ones too but they are yellow. I allways figured it was the hard water that caused that. Should i give them more Nitrogen??? What is your fertilizer that you use???

Your Majestys look FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Load em up with lots and lots of Nitrogen Iron Magnesium, and watch them just take off like a Saturn V rocket from Cape Canaveral.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I have a 6' one from Lowes that I bought in June. It's been in the house all summer but the spears never grew any once I got it home. I just put it outside a week ago and now its all yellow. My neighbor has 5 or 6 outside that look great, I'm guessing its the first time in full sun and sunburnt? Expecting 37f saturday night so who knows if this guy will make it.

More than anything these need water. They grow naturally in water. As Wal said we have many a sad looking Majestic around our parts. Mainly lack of irrigation. Unfortunately the market was flooded with these and where labeled as drought hardy. If they are well watered and fertilized as Tyrone said they live up to their name. I recon if we planted some in the middle of a creek they would flourish.

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Here is a picture (taken April 2004) of the palm pictured in post #1 and pic #1 in post #18. I did not notice untill I compared these pictures, but its growing at a good clip.

Edited by Tampa Scott

Anyone knows of a source of seeds in small quantities? Seeds are usually available in minimum quantity of a thousand.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Once I learned that these can be kept happy by planting in heavy soil, heavy watering, and heavy fertilization I had great success growing one up to a Fatty McFatterson. I have a double in a 5 gallon that I'm going to try in the area below where my septic lets out. I think it'll be monsterish.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Often sold for house plants,not to often seen in the landscape in Central Florida. My favorite palm. Planted from a 3 gal pot in 1998. This Female tree flowered for the first time in 2007.

So that is what my 4 year old Ravenea will look like in 6 years! Cool! Never seen one that big.

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

So that is what my 4 year old Ravenea will look like in 6 years! Cool! Never seen one that big.

Nice to meet you!

Hmm.

Majesties in Hugetown kick butt, till a freeze lays 'em low . . . . . :(

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

After noticing the growth rate of these palms from the pictures, I went out today and took measurements. As I said all 3 were planted inground in 1998 from 3 gal pots with no clear trunk. I think they were around $7.00 each. Palm #1 has 17' clear trunk (avg.1.7' year) #2 has 12.5' clear trunk (avg 1.2' year) and #3 grown in the shade 5.4' clear trunk (avg .5' year).

Edited by Tampa Scott

When I went back through my pics last week, I realised that my rivularis started trunking in Nov 06. It now has about 5ft of clear trunk. So that's 2.5ft of trunk a year.

regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

Only one ? What are you waiting for? Go and get a few more. I will be adding a few this spring. I will be planting them at the edge of my lake. It was suggested that I plant Royal palms, but I think I will add a few more of my favorite palm.

Here is a picture of one of the three that I have. The pic is about a year or so old and this palm has at least another 2 feet of trunk on it.

They have done very well and are in mostly full sun and fairly high wind area. As mentioned lots of water and fertilizer. Planted from a 25 gallon about 5-6 yr ago.

I'll try to post a new pic of it.

DSC00130.jpg

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Here is a picture of one of the three that I have. The pic is about a year or so old and this palm has at least another 2 feet of trunk on it.

They have done very well and are in mostly full sun and fairly high wind area. As mentioned lots of water and fertilizer. Planted from a 25 gallon about 5-6 yr ago.

I'll try to post a new pic of it.

DSC00130.jpg

Now that's an oustanding palm photo. That is the look many wish/search for.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Best regards

Tyrone

Only one ? What are you waiting for? Go and get a few more. I will be adding a few this spring. I will be planting them at the edge of my lake. It was suggested that I plant Royal palms, but I think I will add a few more of my favorite palm.

I've sort of run out of room. The crown of my big one is 1/3 the width of my property, and besides, I have to fit an Arenga westerhoutii in somewhere and my Caryota gigas has to grow yet.

Best regards

Tyrone

Around here 99% of Majesty Palms that get planted end up taking a dirt nap. They need lots of water and nutrients to grow well. I see lots get planted since they are so widely available and cheap and within months look like crap or are dead.

Here is the one at Leu Gardens I have posted before. It was planted in Sept. 1995 from a 5 gal., typical specimen sold as a houseplant. It is planted in black muck that is always wet, a small spring trickles out of the ground in the area. Often there is standing water at the base of the palm. It is now about 30ft and has started flowering but no seed yet.

img_0878.jpg

This photo was taken 4 years ago, it is the base of the palm and you can see the growing conditions

7bd4.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

How about this one in Nambour, Sth East Queensland, featuring aussie ratpackers Mike, Andy and Wal.

rav-rivularis1.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I've been searching for this palm for a long time and finally found one in Escazú last week. It was sitting out on the sidewalk in front of what I thought was a nursery, but upon entering it was more like a vegetable/poincettia market. He had hundreds of poinsettias in there. Anyway, he told me this palm was rare (it is rare here kinda) and he also said it was very slow growing. I told him it would speed up when it was planted in the ground :) I'm going to find a nice soggy area of the property to plant it.

PB150044.jpg

PB150047.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

That is a perfect size palm to plant Jeff. Good luck.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Thank you for all the wonderful photos. This palm is one of my favorites, too. When it's healthy and happy, it looks amazing.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

My R. rivularis isn't as tall as some but looks pretty good for FL. Its fronds top the roofline and its trunk is 3.5' clear wood. It thrives on runoff from the a/c and as much fertilizer as we can afford.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Just an FYI that a friend of mine has a transplantable (is that a word?) majesty palm that is "free to good home" here in Sarasota -- it's about 6' or so to the top of the fronds and has been growing right next to a lake (so it's in good shape). PM me if interested.

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg