IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rod Andersons desert jungle

sonoranfans

In North Fl I have a green one that tolerated 21F and 2 weeks of freezes in 99' silver ones died tho

Best regards

Ed

Ed:

I had a green Biz that actually survived the 23° and lost it the following winter because of a wet winter. It probably wasn't in a good location either.

Rod

Rod,

Good to hear from you and e njoyed your postings. I just a few greens that have survived the winterss. They dont grow real fast here but do jug along. Its under some shade for frost protection as we had alot of winters in a row where it bottomed out in low 20's.

Best regards,

Ed

Rod,

Good to hear from you and e njoyed your postings. I just a few greens that have survived the winterss. They dont grow real fast here but do jug along. Its under some shade for frost protection as we had alot of winters in a row where it bottomed out in low 20's.

Best regards,

Ed

Ed:

In your opinion, is the Mayotte Biz the same as the green Biz, or is it different?

Rod

I wasnt aware of a Mayotte BIz so probably not-- A old friend bought some from a school teacher in West Palm Beach(where his kid lives), he gave me one and planted one. 1999 came along and we were surprised the trees were still alive up here in North FL... He ogt a few more and got me 3 which I traded some hhybrids for. I have about 3 around the yard.

Dog knocked off one . My compliments on your garden once again--- I wish I could grow palms as fast .

Best regards,

Ed

so you are "THE" rod as in "rod andersons desert jungle?"

Yep - That's me!

Rod Anderson

Phoenix, Arizona

nice to have you here! yer garden is an inspiration,rod!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Rod,

You have definitely set the bar for inspiration for those palm collectors in your area or people with similar areas in other parts of the world. I'm sure your yard sticks waaaaaaaay out when you come down YOUR street.

Have you by any chance tried Dypsis ambositrae or Beccariophoenix in the yard from Madagascar?

Jeff

Jeff:

Have you tried Dypsis ambositrae or Beccariophoenix? Where are you located? I just have avoided growing any Dypsis as I am afraid they would just burn during May & June. The low humidity is my biggest concern.

Rod

Wow!!

That`s a wonderfull palm garden! I know it from pictures since 8 years ago and seeing how largue are those palms now im favorably impressed.-

Congratulations amigo Rod.-

GTV

For those of you who don't now Rod, he's been an avid palm and cycad grower for years. I am tickled to see all the photos and thank you for providing them to us.

If you would have asked me ten or fifteen years ago about growing plants in Phoenix, I would have silently thought "those guys are screwed; they can't grow anything". And, so wrong I was. For so many species it's not the heat that's the problem. It's the intense sunlight and the cold. If one establishes a canopy, this provides protection from the sun and some avoidance of the coldest night lows. What this gives you is an environment where a lot of things thrive; both palms and cycads. Under the canopy one can grow unbelievable species. And, with the warmth they outgrow coastally grown plants by leaps and bounds. Of course, one has to give ample water. But, so many species thrive in the heat and do well.

So, it's great to see Rod's successes.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

For those of you who don't now Rod, he's been an avid palm and cycad grower for years. I am tickled to see all the photos and thank you for providing them to us.

If you would have asked me ten or fifteen years ago about growing plants in Phoenix, I would have silently thought "those guys are screwed; they can't grow anything". And, so wrong I was. For so many species it's not the heat that's the problem. It's the intense sunlight and the cold. If one establishes a canopy, this provides protection from the sun and some avoidance of the coldest night lows. What this gives you is an environment where a lot of things thrive; both palms and cycads. Under the canopy one can grow unbelievable species. And, with the warmth they outgrow coastally grown plants by leaps and bounds. Of course, one has to give ample water. But, so many species thrive in the heat and do well.

Phil

Thanks Phil for your comments. I've purchased many plants from you in the past - some grew and some didn't, some I would like to try again. Thanks for providing such a wide selection of plants at your nursery. It's got to be hard providing such a variety especially trying to supply rare plants that only collectors are interested in. My hat goes off to you and your efforts. Thanks also to your son Jesse for taking the time to show me around and for looking for those 'rare' plants that I'm always looking for!

Rod

• Upvote 1

post-262-1227108646_thumb.jpg

Last week I visited Rod Andersons place to try to better understand some of the unique aspects of growing palms in the arizona desert. Rod has grown virtually everything from seed since 1995, the year he contracted palmgroliosis, or palm fanatic syndrome. His yard is unique in that most of what he has is not seen in phoenix area and yet most is quite desert adapted. The density of plantings in Rods yard is impressive, unsurpassed in my experience, making photos difficult, especially with shade and sun contrasts. My zoom camera was not able to collect enough light to get clear pics for perhaps 3/4 of the shaded part of the backyard that had hundreds of cycads. A nice digital SLR with a tripod might do some of those areas justice, but I am an amateur witha prosumer camera. Here is a shot of the street view with bismarckias, hyphaene, cycads etc.

I did some digging and found this foto from 2005. What a couple of years will do!

Rod

• 2 weeks later...
Wow!!

That`s a wonderfull palm garden! I know it from pictures since 8 years ago and seeing how largue are those palms now im favorably impressed.-

Congratulations amigo Rod.-

GTV

Great hearing from you Gaston! What about posting a picture of your Livistona mariae you're growing from seed that I had sent you?

Rod

Last week I visited Rod Andersons place to try to better understand some of the unique aspects of growing palms in the arizona desert. Rod has grown virtually everything from seed since 1995, the year he contracted palmgroliosis, or palm fanatic syndrome. His yard is unique in that most of what he has is not seen in phoenix area and yet most is quite desert adapted. The density of plantings in Rods yard is impressive, unsurpassed in my experience, making photos difficult, especially with shade and sun contrasts. My zoom camera was not able to collect enough light to get clear pics for perhaps 3/4 of the shaded part of the backyard that had hundreds of cycads. A nice digital SLR with a tripod might do some of those areas justice, but I am an amateur witha prosumer camera. Here is a shot of the street view with bismarckias, hyphaene, cycads etc.

I did some digging and found this foto from 2005. What a couple of years will do!

Rod

That is some of the most remarkable growth I've ever seen, Rod. The front yard looks almost bare there, the hyphaenes look tiny and the acrocomia looks like its put on well over 10' since then. Growth like that validates your methods as being quite effective.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Rod

That is some of the most remarkable growth I've ever seen, Rod. The front yard looks almost bare there, the hyphaenes look tiny and the acrocomia looks like its put on well over 10' since then. Growth like that validates your methods as being quite effective.

I look at this photo and marvel myself. At the base of the Acrocomia is a medemia argun (I've since removed). The Acrocomia almost seems out of place - so tall. Thankfully, it has slowed now that it is flowering 5 or 6 times each summer (unfortunately, there are no seeds) and the reset of the plants are catching up!

In the far left corner, is a Copernicia fallensis leaf. I had to take it out after finding that it was sitting on top of my water line. It had lasted several years in full sun and several winters with little problems. I had a copernica macroglossa (just below the photo) that had servived the freezes of 2007 only to die after the winter of 2008 (too much rain). I have some small seedlings that I will try again in a different location some day.

Rod

• 1 month later...

Phil

Phil:

I was able to visit you again in California over New Years. Thanks again for the great plants. You know, I would say upwards of 1/4 of my plants in my yard are from your Nursery! There are so many rare plants available at your nursery, it is very difficult to have to choose.

Thankfully, you are able to ship to Arizona (and have the proper documentation!!!!!) and have saved me the cost of driving across the desert many times.

I look forward to doing more business with you in the future!

Thanks for providing such great plants for so many years! Kudos, my friend!!!

Rod Anderson

Phoenix, Arizona

• 5 years later...

I would love to find out where this place in and drive by to see how it has grown over the years..

I've been there a number of times and visited with Rod, it's a great place, unbelievable number of plants for a small lot.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I would love to find out where this place in and drive by to see how it has grown over the years..

We visited Rod last summer and his place is amazing! We bought a few cycads and a livistona rigida.from him. The borassus is awe inspiring!

• 8 years later...
On 11/7/2008 at 10:37 AM, sonoranfans said:

Tom, is it possible to re-load the images you took at Rod's place? They're not displaying on my browser. The only image I can see is the one of Acrocomia, with Medemia etc.

Hi 104˚, Lo 82˚ Humidity 26% - 56%

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

7 minutes ago, Tom in Tucson said:

Tom, is it possible to re-load the images you took at Rod's place? They're not displaying on my browser. The only image I can see is the one of Acrocomia, with Medemia etc.

Hi 104˚, Lo 82˚ Humidity 26% - 56%

He sent me these photos last spring. Hopefully he’s ok with posting.

3F12F021-1636-43D5-9352-417642E6B2C8.jpeg

F447F54E-E7B7-4C50-A07C-AFCD1E5775CE.jpeg

F9D6584B-8733-4301-8986-04C2547B85BF.jpeg

8B062AF2-5D1A-42D1-8130-F614D28BBB47.jpeg

345EC194-0988-45BF-866C-1BB8AD1735FC.jpeg

F18EEA28-AA15-4A53-B624-8DC91381E822.jpeg

C73F7C9C-7D5D-4FF8-ACBF-75A7A7D36A1F.jpeg

9116CC4F-A5D0-4E4A-BA37-52FC2291FC62.jpeg

47624AEC-756D-4700-B2B3-783872D03D46.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

He sent me these photos last spring. Hopefully he’s ok with posting.

3F12F021-1636-43D5-9352-417642E6B2C8.jpeg

F447F54E-E7B7-4C50-A07C-AFCD1E5775CE.jpeg

F9D6584B-8733-4301-8986-04C2547B85BF.jpeg

8B062AF2-5D1A-42D1-8130-F614D28BBB47.jpeg

345EC194-0988-45BF-866C-1BB8AD1735FC.jpeg

F18EEA28-AA15-4A53-B624-8DC91381E822.jpeg

C73F7C9C-7D5D-4FF8-ACBF-75A7A7D36A1F.jpeg

9116CC4F-A5D0-4E4A-BA37-52FC2291FC62.jpeg

47624AEC-756D-4700-B2B3-783872D03D46.jpeg

Thanks Daniel. I can ID these for the most part, but names would be nice.

I'd still like to see the old images Tom took.

Hi 104˚, Lo 82˚

• Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego