IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Borassus flabellifer

Kris

Niiiiice palmyras Kris...

And Mamallaputam is incredibly beautiful...when were those stone carvings made? tell us the history please...

What? changing gears with the left hand??? No way... :lol: I guess I'll let you drive for me when I visit you in Chennai... :lol:

PS, The seedling of that Big Mama you sent is doing just fine...I'll photograph it later...

• Upvote 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Thanks very much dear brother Gileno,very happy that the big mama is doing fine,kindly see closely the sandy soil area.it is also close to your ranch house soil texture.so they will grow into a beauty.but one slight difference is that though the big mama will bear edible fruits like the standard form but they are gigantic in proportion like a minature croypha and recently the guy who keeps harvesting fresh borassus.F seeds from pondicherry area.told me that next time he will bring me the orange fruitcas borassus seeds.hearing this iam overjoyed...since that makes our local borassus into 3 types !

And as for as Ma malla puram history & its pallava kings i will do a complete coverage of it in months to come,and that will be posted exclusively in our travelogs..till then kindly bear with me_please !

And iam very eagerly looking forward for both my brothers visit to chennai,i.e You & M@x.. :)

Lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, great pictures of beautiful sites and palms. Thanks.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks Kris for pics and great informaion.

I'am surely that the origin of B.flabellifer must be somewhere in India.

And distributed nearby country over hundreds year ago.

Now aday in my country, we use it as food, sugar, syrup, thatching materials etc.

They are very usefull. ^_^

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Dear Meg :)

iam very glad you liked those pictures... :)

Dear Komi :)

thanks & its been quite a while that we heard from you...And even i feel that during the colenial british raj many plants were introduced into india & many plants were all taken from our country for cultivation purpose.i would say the most constrictive work those imprealiest did was distribution of plant forms to other viable regions of the globe.. :greenthumb:

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, thanks for all the great Borassus photos! They are very beautiful and colorful palms. I especially like the ones in post#47. those tall stands are fantastic!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Great stills Kris.

Thanks for posting as I love this palm. I have heard it said that it is the second most useful palm next to the coconut.

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Hi Kris,

Thnx for the thread as it is full of interesting and cool photos.

Just one question, does palmyra palms need some kind of sand in their soil mix???

Regards,

Adolfo

Adolfo García C.,

Interested in collecting Geonoma palms!

Alajuela, Costa Rica.

Dear Jeff,Jim & Adolfo :)

thanks for stopping by and iam glad you all like those palms in their natural location...

And dear adolfo,yes those palms grow well in coastal side,with predominent sandy soil but i have seen these palm grow virtually in any soil,in any location but needs a tropical climate to grow fast..(Ref.to warm atmosphere year around)

like a phoenix sylversteris,even this palm takes up douught conditon effortlessly and it can live happy even as a coconut tree with abadent of water & salt breeze from sea-shore (High humidity tolerant). but in cold regions with water in their roots could be very detrimental.. :(

Lots of love to you all,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great thread and fantastic photos!!! These trees remind me of Sabal Palmettos but with coconut tree trunks, only much more "robust" looking than S. Palmetto. Similar in shape, size appearance, and leaf shape / appearance.

Tell me, how big do those fruit get? They look like they get about the size of a small coconut with the husk on them? Most excellent thread! Thank you!

• Upvote 1

Kris, that last bunch of seeds you sent sprouted 6 of the 10. Potted 3 in the ground at different depths and 3 in pots. None survided :angry:

• Upvote 1

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

• 4 years later...

Love Borassus! Was a palm that I was gonna plant "later". Never got around to it and now there is inadequate room and sun exposure to add one to the Moose Land. Such a shame that these majestic palms are not seen in more landscapes. They are a pain in the a$$ to germinate. Pretty finicky about root disturbance when planting as well. Bismarckia is easier, probably why they are used over the Borassus.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B