IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Borassus flabellifer

Kris

Dear Friends :)

On many ocassions fan's of the Borassus Flabellifer have always requested me to do a complete photo feature on their favouriate variety.But usually i do not find much time to go on a travel & that too with my camera & their batteries fully charged.

But this time i did find some time to take some snaps of this perticular variety and one thing i must point out here is that the visauls that you are seeing is of the regular standard form.while their are totally 3 varities...one is the standard form,second one is the orange fruticas type and third one is the heavy form which i call as the Big Mama Series. :lol:

And for the benefit of Borassus lover's and those who liking visuals in Hi-Res mode like me would really enjoy this Local 'Palmyra Palm' photoshoot !

And since the stills are slightly big in resolution,those with dsl connection for internet would love the experience..

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

And here is a Link for those who wish to know more about its local names etc..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris great link with some very nice pics. It is amazing how the Weavers Bird Nests can attach to just a single leaflet, they look a little like gourds very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Brandan

Edited by plantapalm

Dear Brandan :)

you are welcome !

First let us all see the regional topography as how this area or habititate actually looks like..since this location is on the way to mahabalipuram or mamallapuram which is around 50/Kms from heart of chennai city.and all tourist from world around visit this place if they happen to visit chennai.And this very same road would also lead to neigbouring union territory of pondicherry or puducherry(which once occupied by the french coloniel regime)

And the main road that you see in these stills is hardly around 250 to 300 meters from the sea(bay of bengal).And the soil is out & out loose sandy sea soil

And i do not see much of any dicots except few chashewnut farms & pine trees..here & there !

So lets have some visuals... :winkie: Shall we

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Okay now lets move on to the main topic of the 'Palmyra Palm' trees ! And from here i will talk less,since the visuals are themselves self explainatory ! :)

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And the stills were taken using Canon 3IS in full automode...since i was moving in the highway and i had to take stills now & then and with blazing traffic on the roads,i did not have much time left to fiddle with the camera settings..and the machine has proved once again that it likes to work on its own,than me giving it commands in form of manual settings ! :mrlooney:

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

As our car was crossing Mamallapuram i did manage to take few stills of that place too ! And when i find time i will cover that place exclusively for the benfit of our members who have keen intreast in our indian culture,heritage & art forms. :)

These stills goes out to my friends...Brother M@x,Brother Gileno,Dave,Angela,Wal,Bo Goran,David,Komikrit,Paul,Bill,Bruno,Walt....

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

wonderful pix,kris! the stone carving is amazing!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Thanks for these fantastic pics Kris!!

You just added some more pics. Where they were taked????

M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

Dear Brother M@x,Thanks very much...stay tuned,since more stills are comming !

Dear Paul,you are my inspiration,since your bali thread is mindblowing !

Love,

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

kris does that area get alot of rainfall?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Dear Paul :)

its nice to hear from you.and this region that you are seeing is purely dry,except to the salty sea breeze & high humidity level we have throughout the year.but it is appearing as a lush & wet because we are now experiencing our wet winters which started from the month of october,this will last up to december end.

but after the tsuanai attack we are having regular rainfall,which was not the case 4 years back.so the tall looking palmyra trees have seen the worst of the drought conditions that prevailed then in tamil nadu.

And here is a lovely

on the Palmyra trees link courtesy Ken Jonhson.

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Those Borassus are so gnarly, thanks Kris for this thread, I really like the natural portrayal of palms.

How much for one of those Moorthy plots by the way ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That's beautiful Kris! Thanks.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Those Borassus are so gnarly, thanks Kris for this thread, I really like the natural portrayal of palms.

How much for one of those Moorthy plots by the way ?

Dear Wal :)

Thanks for visiting our thread...and iam glad you liked the stills.

And the plots in and around mamallapuram is around 75 thousand Rupees to 1 lakh and prices are now falling due to global ressesion & these zones are classified as highly Tsuani prone zone.So only few farm houses here & there are noticed.rest is lying empty or with just palmyra trees... :lol:

And Dear Ray :)

Iam happy you like the stills...and stay tuned for more yet come ! :)

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

By the way here in this still you can clearly see how we drive our vehicles...that standard is know as 'Keep left'courtesy the British Raj ! The steering wheel is place in all our vehicles in the right hand side & we change gears using our left hand.And the yellow coloured bus seen belongs to the state public transport corporation.

IMG_1411.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif