IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter Down South

PalmsZA

Hi chaps

I never managed to get your replies off the old board as I only logged in yesterday to find the board had crashed. ( Bob - thanks for the new forum ).

What did you guys type???

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Dennis, Not much happened with this topic just before it crashed. Perth got down to negative 0.7C which was an all time record. Records began in 1885. No damage to anything though as it was very dry and not even one spot on anything. Remarkable. My garden didn't get below 1.5C which is the coldest it's ever been.

Very dry here. We got 4.5mm of rain the other day and that's all for June so far. The avg is 180mm, our wettest month supposedly. No rain for another few days. Brisbane is much wetter than us at the moment. Day temps have averaged around 21C about 3C above avg, but nights are about 2C lower than avg. We're not dropping below 20C for the next 5 or 6 days and around 23C. Not very June like, unlike anything Perth has ever seen before.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dennis,

One look at my Avatar should make you happier. It was taken during a morning when the low was -7 F (-21.7C).

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool:

Hi Dennis, very dry 300km south of Perth also and cold but a few warmer nights when there is some cloud cover.  The pastures on the highway near us were all white with frost but very little was damaged here.  We are well sheltered by forest and drainage (of air) is pretty good.  

The only damage was to a few taro leaves and a small part of a chilacayote vine.  Palms are loving it.  

Hopefully we will get some serious rain in the next month or the palms will be on water restrictions next summer. ???

Jeff Nugent, SW W.Australia 34deg.S

Mediterranean climate -

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters. Rarely a frost.

200m elevation, 75km from Indian Ocean and 60km from Southern Ocean.

permacultureplants.net

New Zealand is entering the second week of miserably cold weather, biggest snow storms in 60 years in the south, miserable. Today here it is very cold, got down to 3C last night, up to 4C by 10.00am, now probably at the highest for the day at 6C. We usually get maybe one day a year when the daytime high is below 10C, but not normally this cold. Snow predicted down to 200m here, if that happens, it will be the first snowfall in this area for 90 years. Lucky I didn't get around to planting out those Roystoneas last summer...

Good ceroxylon weather perhaps, but still dreaming of North QLD....

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Hi guys

Ty : 1.5c! that must have hurt some of your palms, should see the spots and brown tips delveloping soon.

Doug : Ouch!!! Thats cold. Is that a record?

Jeff : Ja, I hope you get some soon, Palms and water restrictions are not good bed-fellows! Your temps havent been too bad though.

Ben : I Hope the snow stays away and keep the Royals nice and warm.

If you move to N.QLD you will have to support the Reds and the......Wallabies, maybe move to Auckland! LOL

Cheers

Dennis

PS looks like we may recieve some rain in the next day! Fingers crossed.

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Dennis,

Believe it or not, -21.7C is not a record for Albuquerque but it is the coldest this palm has seen. It has no dipped below this in 35 years. The coldest ever recorded is posted at the bottom of my signature (-17 F) or -27.2 C! The palm in the picture is a Trachy,  a species known to withstand CLOSE to that.

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Yeah but its a "dry" cold, right.  :)  Better hope it never gets to -17F again, your trachy aint gonna make it.  I bet that's like a one in a 100 year thing though.  I grew up in MI, and I can remember a few -17 days, and that is just UNBELEIVABLY cold.

NW - Cant even begin to imagine what that temp feels like! The coldest I have felt is -5c and I thought that was freezing!

To be honest I am suprised that Trachys actually take that cold!

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Dennis, so far no damage on anything. My Dypsis pembana's and Hyophorbe indicas were in the coldest part of the garden and they're still pushing spears. Even my baby Roystonea oleracea is still pushing a spear, looking real green and is wondering whether to open it's spear. Since that horrible night, the coldest part of the garden hasn't dropped below 5C. I think a couple of things have been going for us, that is we have been so dry and that cold night didn't produce condensation on anything, and the day temps have been springing back up to the low twenties consistently. Next week we are going to get about 3 coldfronts, so the nights will be back up in temp but days will be high teens.

I checked Yahoo weather today and Antanavarivo in Madagascar at 6.30am was 7C. I've never seen it quite that cool before.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(syersj @ Jun. 22 2006,22:18)

Yeah but its a "dry" cold, right.  :)  Better hope it never gets to -17F again, your trachy aint gonna make it.  I bet that's like a one in a 100 year thing though.  I grew up in MI, and I can remember a few -17 days, and that is just UNBELEIVABLY cold.

Jim,

Yes, luckily, it is a dry cold. As we discussed in another topic, the earth is definitely warming up (great for us borderliners). Although it is not "climatologically correct" to say that it is warming up, our averages here are at lease a zone warmer in the past 15 years than what is officially posted. On the NOAA website, they have a breakdown of the 10 warmest years on record in the past 100 years. Seven of them have been in the last 10 years.

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Whackiest June on record.

Driest June ever with 25mm rain. avg 180mm

Coldest avg min ever with approx 6C avg 8C

Avg max around 21C normal avg 18C

13 nights below 5C a record.

coldest night ever of neg 0.7C

Apart from the avg max's may we never have an impostor month like that again.

It was 11C-21C today with drissle, tomorrow 21C, Sun 23C and then 21-22C all next week. Weird. July may be a crazy one.

regards

Tyrone

On the Weatherzone forum, people are wishing for a cold winter. Can you believe it?

I wonder why we never hear of freezing rain in Australia. It seems to happen inbetween rain and snow bands in North America. After all, it snows along the Great Divide sometimes.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Hi guys

Ty : that is wierd!

The last week has been very nice indeed. No temps below 9c recorded in the garden with days in the mid 20's. Today got to 28c! Lovely. Similar temps until Thursday when a cold front makes landfall.

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

(wrigphi @ Jul. 03 2006,04:06)

I wonder why we never hear of freezing rain in Australia. It seems to happen inbetween rain and snow bands in North America. After all, it snows along the Great Divide sometimes.

My understanding is cos North America is all mountains running north south which act as a coridoor to the coooold Arctic temps.

But sometimes it does hail(from hel!) in Oztrailya but mostly in melbum.

Jeff Nugent, SW W.Australia 34deg.S

Mediterranean climate -

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters. Rarely a frost.

200m elevation, 75km from Indian Ocean and 60km from Southern Ocean.

permacultureplants.net

(wrigphi @ Jul. 03 2006,04:06)

Freezing rain requires a below freezing airmass to be underneath a warmer, wet airmass.  In the eastern US/Canada, which is basically flat, cold polar airmasses move down from Canada and slip under the warm, wet air from the Gulf of Mexico.  This is a different condition from what causes snow.  Since southern Australia has an ocean to the south to moderate polar airmasses, and a dry continent stretching a long way to the north, the conditions aren't good for freezing rain.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

A cold day today 15C and full southerly winds. Coldest for this winter so far. Tomorrow 14C and then mins around 3-4C. Too cold. But by Sunday Monday next week we're back to 22C,23C. The last few nights have been warmer than average. About 11C last night and 16C the night before. We got to 24Cmax on Sat.

I can't wait for spring.  :(

regards

Tyrone

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought I'd kick this topic back into life.

Here in Perth we've had the start of our winter rains about 7 weeks late. So now there is humidity in the air with higher dew points than what we had thru June and most of July. The effect is we are now having min's around 7-11C and days from around 16-19C, much more stable than the desert highs of 23C and then down to 3C at night.

The last couple of days have been cool with around 15-17C, but the next week is going to be around 18C-20C with rain virtually every day. So nice mild weather, hopefully with not too much wind.

Things are still growing even now, like my Spindles, Indicas, Caribean royal, Caryota gigas, Archos, Foxy Ladies, Pritchies.

Let's see what August brings.

Come back Spring

regards

Tyrone

They've increased the forecast to a few days around 21-22C at the end of the week. Not bad for the beginning of August. Maybe I should have planted a coconut this year.

regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone, it was nice here the last couple of days. We had 150mm (6 inches) of rain over the last few days, but Saturday and Sunday were picture perfect, no cloud, no wind, just perfect Qld sunshine. Today it was 26C..beautiful!

Daryl.

bismarckia2.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I was wondering where you were going to place that photo ? Sneaky. Fantastic weekend , so sunny after some great rain late last week. Beware there looks like some cold mornings this week.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Daryl @ Jul. 30 2006,06:45)

Hi Tyrone, it was nice here the last couple of days. We had 150mm (6 inches) of rain over the last few days, but Saturday and Sunday were picture perfect, no cloud, no wind, just perfect Qld sunshine. Today it was 26C..beautiful!

Daryl.

bismarckia2.jpg

The envy metre is on "Extreme" at the moment Daryl.

Your rainfall is quite impressive. We had a crappy 85mm for July, and an absolutely insulting 25mm for June. So far only about 230mm since Jan1, we should be at around 550mm by now.

We've got the Avon descent this weekend, which is a white water event down the Avon and Swan rivers from Northam about 160km by stream inland. Lots of canoes and aluminium dingies with suped up little outboards. A two day event. Although there has been some runoff, I think most will be running aground on every turn. Should be entertaining prop destroying fun.  

What I wouldn't give for 26C in August. Envious. :)

regards

Tyrone

Hi all

Been very pleasent here lately. Highs in the mid to high 20's and lows at around 10c. The problem is 2mm of rain since May!!! The whole city is as dry as a bone. I would love some early Spring thunderers, until then I will keep on dragging the hose.

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Weather here has been a real mixed bag with lots of rain in the last several weeks. The sun does make an appearence now and again usually followed with very cold nights averaging around 7C.  Have had a few warm days but nothing over 21C and more often than not around 19C. Lots of brown spotting appearing on many palms due to the wet and cold soil. At the moment its overcast with a not very tropical feeling as I look at the fire burning in the fireplace. This is shaping up to be a bad winter for my palms, thou I haven't lost any yet, I expect lots of stunted new growth in spring.

Have a nice day

Mike

post-250-1154496305_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Hi Mike,

You've had it tough, like a bad Perth winter. Is that your boat and little dog? Cool.

Well we had 22C yesterday, 22C today, 23C tomorrow, 22C on Sunday with rain, then down into the high teens. Last couple of nights have been around 11-12C. I actually put the retic on today and the frogs were singing. I think Spring is almost here in the west. Not much longer to go and things will improve for all of us in the south. The gingers are starting to put flower bracts out.

regards

Tyrone

Today was Sydney's coldest day in 10 years- 11.5c maximum.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Hi Tyrone sounds like your winter has been pretty mild this year. Thats my new boat and our dog lucy. Went fishing the other day and caught a good size snapper off shore, new to the fishing game but sure is addictive particularly when you catch fish. The weather today is the worst yet for this winter raining hard and cold. I can only hope that this is the last of it till spring when the ground will be starting to warm up.

Cheers

Mike

post-250-1154754962_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

That's a beautiful pink snapper. It's good when you can catch decent size fish.

Today my wife and I got into the garden, and cleaned up a ton of dead fronds and heaps of taro plant that had really gone out of control. I uncovered a dry creek bed I made back in the beginning stages of the garden which is hooked up to the house guttering and ends in the fishpond. The garden is 5 years old in Oct and I've been waiting for enough canopy growth to start planting out a really interesting understory. The time has arrived and the palms are really getting up there now, so out with the taro and in with the Chamy's and things like Dypsis crinita, fibrosa, and utilis.

The sun was also rather warm today and we worked up a sweat. It got to 23C today, even though it was cloudy for most of the morning. It's going to go down to 12 tonight and 23 tomorrow with thunderstorms then back to high teens, wind and more thunderstorms. Not bad really. My Dypsis lanceolata opened up an orange leaf today and my Dypsis pembana is about to do the same.

I'm not complaining. Spring is very close in the south.

regards

Tyrone

Hi Mike

Nice fish!

I love fishing too, do you just cruise around the harbour?

Cheers

Dennis

post-35-1154941635_thumb.jpg

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Last night the min was 17.6C the warmest Aug min on record. It rained a bit too. High dew points. About as warm at night as Darwin was lastnight. We've got very strong NW winds at the moment and rain. There were some tornadoes that ripped roofs off houses about 160km south of here. Approx 250km/hr winds. I just watched my large Eucalypt get totally battered by strong gusts, looked like around 100km/hr. Kind of scary.  Back to 17C tomorrow and then around 22-23C mid week, then back to winter after that, and milder, calmer winds.

I was quite happy today though. I picked up two really nice Southern Form Beccariophoenix for $20 each in 200mm pots. I was quite surprised to find them. I'd post a pic but no camera yet.

regards

Tyrone

It's surprising how similar your winter temperatures are to our summer temperatures a lot of the time.  Normally 17°C/63°F would be well above our summer night time temperatures, although last night was our warmest night of the year hear and it only just dipped below 20°C/68°F, which is extremely unusual, especially as it has since cooled down during the day and by 12:50 still hasn't reached 20°C/68°F again.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Hi Tyrone

Sounds like you have done much what I have with regards to rain water run off from the roof, no point in wasting it hea. You seem to be getting warmer weather there with 17C for your min! That has never happen here as far as I can remember. Below is a picture of where I live, as you can see the garden doesnt stand out from the surrounding bush/mangrove. If you scroll WSW using Google Earth you will see the airport and that is where all the offical temperatures are taken now. Port is one of many great places in Australia to live without all the problems many other parts of the world have. We are lucky.  

Hi Dennis

I caught the snapper about 2miles offshore, that same day 12 humpback whales during the course of the day passed the boat, some quite close. I would be out fishing today if the swell wasnt so big over the bar, well over 10 feet.

Cheers

Mike

post-250-1155017130_thumb.jpg

Mike, Thanks for the google pic. Your area looks absolutely beautiful, surrounded by warm water. Really nice.

regards

Tyrone

Mike, heres a Google pic of my place and surrounds. Not quite as nice as your water surrounded paradise. Mine is typical Oz suburbia with a rainforest grown in a 1/4 acre 1950's style block. The rainforest fills up the back from where the house stops.

post-63-1155304706_thumb.jpg

A bit further out.

Perth.jpg

A bit further out showing Rottnest Island which looks really beautiful from space. It even has some small coral reefs there.

Perth-Rottnest.jpg

regards

Tyrone

Perth is a beautiful place, I lived there for 3 years in the late 70s at Triggs, I was a keen surfer then. My wife and I plan on returning for visit hopefully in the next few years to see some old friends. Would love to see your garden if you have the time.

Cheer

Mike

Mike, You're absolutely welcome to come and visit any time you're over this way.

If I'm ever over in Port Macquarie, I'd love to come and see your garden if it's alright with you.

I may have a Carpoxylon growing when you come over.

best regards

Tyrone

Mike, that is a nice fish.

I noticed some comments on dry cold.  I was raised in North Central Montana, one of the champions of dry cold.  I remember seeing it get colder than - 40 C when I was growing up.  It was dry, but sure was cold as well.  From what I understand once a certain temperature is reached and all the moisture has been frozen out of the air all cold is pretty much the same.   Since you normally have pretty good protection from the cold in a climate like Montana you don't suffer too much.  But, in a subtropical climate with no heating when the temperature nears 0 C it can be horrible.  I lived a few years in Sao Paulo, Brazil and during the winter cold spells it got real miserable sometimes.  The houses have no heating and are made entirely of brick and it feels like living in a refridgerator.  This year has been relatively mild in souther Brazil, although there was some ice and snow in the southern mountain areas.  Even though my climate here is technically winter it is our hottest time of the year.  At 2 degrees south latitude seasons are not too relevant.  We get the very tail end of cold fronts coming from Antarctica.  This causes some rain and momentarily cooling temperatures.  That is it doesn't get much above 30 C during the day, and might even reach 20 C at night,

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Your welcome to drop in and see my garden if ever you are in the area Tyrone.

Cheers

Mike