IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold Weather Protection Questions

Scuba

Hi! I bought two Phoenix Roebelenii palms a few months ago (rooted together/trunks come together in a V shape). When protecting from cold weather do I need to fully cover the entire trunk and should I also protect the top fronds area too? I was not sure if the upper section was more important to protect where the palm heart is.

Also, I noticed some material at the local hardware store for protecting plants. Is there any kind of cloth, etc. material that works better for palm trunks? I want to ensure these palms are well protected for their first couple of years until they are better established.

Thanks!

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller???

Did I post this in the wrong section?

The weather in NE FL dipped down to 34deg last night and is suppose to go down to 37 tonight. I don't have much of a green thumb so I'm trying to get some help as I learn. -Thanks!

OK, I'll take a shot, but in two sections.

First is frost. Protect leaves from all frost. This can be as simple as putting under tree or building canopy to putting cloth over the palm. This is all you need to do above 27 degrees.

Second is freeze. My palms were under canopy all winter and took a low of 26 degrees with hardly any noticeable damage. But don't get comfortable. Most assume around 23 degrees unprotected means almost certain death.

In between 23 and 27, well.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hi Scuba welcome to the forum. we are in similar climates. P. roebelenii only survive here in the most protected/best micro climates. even then, most years they defolite (lose all there leaves at 23 degrees) but return growth in spring.

A very marginal palm unless you are along the coast near ocean where the water buffers the lows you have a better chance.

erecting a 'tent' over the palm with a flood light or small heat source souce as christmas lights inside is a great way to protect P. roebelenii since they are a relatively small palm and can be managed on the few nights a year where temps drop low enough to cause harm to it.

frost cloth is supposed to keep palm from being damaged by frost but I have no experience with it (many have though)

I have conceptulized a easy way to erect a ' dome tent' over small palms for overnight lows. I will explain:

includes 4 stakes of rebar into the ground a few feet from the palm. one on each side opposite from eachother in a square pattern. then 2 long pieces of pvc slight larger than the width of rebar so the pvc can slide over it.

I invision a criss-cross arc over the palm after you install the pvc carefull so it doesnt break.

then somthing ike 4 or 6 mil plastic visqueen or even a spare tarp to cover the dome. stake the ends down all around and put a small heat source under neath to tarp the heat and effectively create a mini greenhouse for your palm. try to avoid the fronds touching the sheeting otherwise they will damage.

I had a very crude version of this used on my bismarkia and it worked well. however bizzies get big and eventually one day I wont be able to protect it.

the system can be erected quite quick in my mind and stored easily and made cheaply.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

When my citrus were young, I would first throw a light blanket over them, then blanket over that to the ground with visqueen, and throw a shop light underneat with a 100 watt bulb for a heat souce. Did just fine.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages