IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Borassus flabellifer

smile

If I remember right, when my seeds showed the first "white button" of germination, we took two 14" treepots, cut the bottom out of one, then duct taped them together to form one 24" tall tree pot. Then I filled it with palm/cactus mix and plenty of perlite for extra drainage. I buried the seed halfway, then let it do its thing in a shady spot. It took many months for the first leaf to show. I left the seedling in its pot until it had several strap leaves and roots started to grow out of pot. Then I planted it the following spring on my garden lot. It gets no irrigation, only summer rain. It doesn't mind dry season at all.

I don't think this palm is very cold hardy. If my temps were to fall to freezing I would cover mine with flannel sheets to protect it, esp. from frost. The growing point is still below ground so the palm would probably survive but I don't want it to defoliate. Not fast growing by any means.

How would this species do in Cali's winter rains?

Thanks Meg,

So the seed germinated, and was set 12" down within a 24" pot? Do you have any thoughts what would happen if you just placed it at the top of a 12" pot and let the roots grow? Seems like it wouldn't have to push through that extra 12" of dirt to see the light?

Like this?

attachicon.gifBorassus 2.jpg

As for the winters here, I don't get very cold, and I don't think my yard has ever reached freezing temps - 10b. I would plan on growing it to a good size container plant before putting it in the ground if it ever came to that. I think that it may have a chance if it had really free draining soil, or by mound planting it. I'm surprised that none of the growers are experimenting with these with their higher heat, and DG soil... None that I know of.

Steve, not what I meant - sorry if I confused you. I nestled the seed about 1" or so deep so the top of the seed showed (like a coconut seed). That way the radicle had nearly the whole 24" to go down. Then I waited for the first leaf to appear. Sounds like your climate may be work but I would not expose this seed to your cold winter rain - keep it on the dry side if you leave it outdoors or it may rot. I suggest you not expose it to temps below 40F, wet or dry, as long as it is in a pot.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 months later...

Here's a video on its edible uses of the root:

Small file :

Here's the large file:

Edited by Kris

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 year later...