IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Borassus flabellifer

smile

Peter, that's fantastic growth. I hope my B.f. I planted in Nov. comes through this awful winter. Guess I'll know in about 6 months.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Peter, that's fantastic growth. I hope my B.f. I planted in Nov. comes through this awful winter. Guess I'll know in about 6 months.

Great work Peter. Mine went in the ground with about 3 inches of root. That was January first. Wonder when I'll see the first green?

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Good luck Steve, should be in less than six months for you. Meg, sorry to hear of all the cold you're having, I hope it makes it. Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Dear Peter :)

Iam very happy to see those encouraging visuals...And i think if all the borassus seen in your stills grows up into lovely palms,Then i must say that Borassus seeds sent to various location the maximum successes rate would be yours ! :winkie: And in your still i can see the texture of the soil which is very similar to the soil from where the borassus seeds were collected.But one thing is that in dry summers you do need to water your young seedlings regularly..

All the best & thanks for the update and for those beautiful visuals.. :greenthumb:

Lots of love,

kris :)

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Borassus/flabellifer.html

Here are some intreasting video links !

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Iam very happy to see those encouraging visuals...And i think if all the borassus seen in your stills grows up into lovely palms,Then i must say that Borassus seeds sent to various location the maximum successes rate would be yours ! :winkie: And in your still i can see the texture of the soil which is very similar to the soil from where the borassus seeds were collected.But one thing is that in dry summers you do need to water your young seedlings regularly..

All the best & thanks for the update and for those beautiful visuals.. :greenthumb:

Lots of love,

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Borassus/flabellifer.html

Here are some intreasting video links !

Good Morning Kris, thank you for your inspiration and for the links to the videos. I especially liked the last one where the gentleman was peeling the fruit and separating the seeds. What part of the fruit do you eat? The large palmyra palms look very similar to our local sabals. The seeds have been planted in all areas of the garden and I do water them regularly, I will keep you posted with updates. Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Iam glad you enjoyed those lovely links.. :) And the last video link you see the guy seperating the outer shell and he retains a white fleshy fruit in a container.that is the edible part.When that fruit is allowed to stay in the tree for a coupe of months then this fleshy fruit becomes hardened seed.And the outer fleshy part of this fruit can also be consumed and it will appear like a ripe mango fruit but it would taste & smell more closely to a tender coconut fruit.

As it ripes both the smell & taste changes into very pungent rotton fruit smell only those fruit are ready for harvesting for seeds..

More the days these seeds remain with that fleshy fruit,the faster they germinate with less of waiting period.So you could see some members did get germinated borassus seeds,they germinated while travelling to the concerned location... :lol:

By the way a grown up borassus will look & feel very much like a washy and not a sabal.

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris and Meg and all,

I had 100% germination rate and all were planted directly into the ground!! :)

Kris, what are the temps that you think will be the breaking point for the Borrassus?? How much cold/frost can it take??

I am asking this because here in Florida it has been a brutally cold winter!!

Thanks to everyone involved w/ giving me seeds!! I took special care of them as instructed.

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Mark, my seedlings from Kris have withstood close to freezing temps in pots with no damage. I would estimate the temps they experienced to be 33-35 degrees. I did not want them to freeze at this small size so I put them in a heated greenhouse.

I have seen a website where adult Borassus f. tolerated temps in the low 20's ...... Dave Witt's site perhaps?

Edited by Alicehunter2000

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Dear Mark :)

Nice to know that you got 100% germination on those seeds.And since these are tropical palms we can assume it can tolerate cooler climates & temperatures as much a coconut palm can handle.. :hmm:

And i think Tim who has a grown up specimen of this palm & fairchild gardens,they can chime in with their experiences with this palm.

Since i hail from a very hot wet tropical region where temperatures seldom go below 76 to 77 degree farenheat.So no frost,no freeze but mild and pleasent winters.And all our plants turn green that time & we usually fertilize our plams only this time of the year and not during the summers.

Hope the freeze wave gets over quite soon & all the best.

lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

David,

Thanks for the info, i have been worried that they're getting fried. Not to mention after they are a small plant.

Kris,

Thanks for the congratulations! Seeing your climate is much warmer than mine is the reason i asked. I would hate to see a palm fry when you (Kris) had gone through all the trouble to send us Fridgid Floridians seeds just to watch them die.

Davids' experience gives me hope!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I have been trying to log on to Dave Witt's Central Florida Cold Damage list, but can't log on. From what I can remember, he says that there are a couple of larger Borassus f. around Daytona area?.....if that is the case this species has taken sub-freezing temps despite its tropical origin.....maybe something akin to Bizmarkia? Anyway....not sure what is wrong with the website...but you might want to try later...just type in his name, you will know you are there if an annoying pop-up appears. Hey has some really good info on there concerning cold damage on many species. Also try Palmpedia to see if anyone has put any data there.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A girlfriend gathered this seed a few days ago in Angkor Wat/Kambodia - and she will send it to me when she will return to Berlin/Germany :drool: :drool:

DSCF16171.jpg

DSCF16761.jpg

This is the mother-palmtree :lol: :lol:

DSCF16201.jpg

I hope, that the germination will be OK!

• Upvote 1

Greetings from a litte village near Salzburg/Austria

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

WOW, thats tall!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Monica :)

Thanks for that beautiful visual..And wish you all the best.Sooner those seeds are used better,or else in just 3 months time it will germinate on its own and start drying up.These seeds cannot be shelfed or stored for not more than 2 to 3 months time.

And here is a still of the big mama sapling..Latest update ! :winkie:

IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4795.jpg

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, Your Big Mama is looking good :lol:

Moni....that is tall! I wonder if anyone is ever killed by falling Borassus fruit (like coconuts). I can't imagine the damage to cars (or heads) from that height. :blink:

Edited by Alicehunter2000

This thread reminded me that it was time to check up on my Borassus seeds. The results were a little saddening. The big root rotted in the cold on all but 1 of my seeds! Now I only have one left (the white bottom variety). But I found one of the 2 unsprouted seeds has sprouted, so I am going to have that grow indoors until the weather is warmer, so maybe I will have 2 plants if I am lucky and do everything correctly, and 3 if the other unsprouted seed decides to sprout. :( I am still grateful that Kris sent these to me, but I wish I had more success.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Hi!

Yes, the palms in front of Angkor Wat are really very tall - and because of they are growing "alone" it seems more taller :drool: :drool:

@ Kris: I will get the seets in March - I hope this short time will be OK.

WOW, your "seedling" looks beautiful - I regret that it is not possible, to give my "palmtree in future" :D such a big barrel :blink:

Is it true, that in 1 "nut" are three seeds????

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

Hi!

Is it true, that in 1 "nut" are three seeds????

Yes,one fruit usually has 3 seeds inside.But there are occassions when the fruit would contain only 2 or even 4 seeds.But this is not regular.

And I would recommand not to keep those collected seeds in dark humid room,only this condition fastens the germination process,in ref.to your friends borassus seeds collected in Angorvat temple.

All the best,

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Kris!

Thanks for your info!

Please have a look on my pictures above - in the fruit was this hairy ball - is there only 1 seed in my case???? Or are in the hairy ball more seeds together ??? :drool: :drool:

I hope, you can understand, what I mean :winkie:

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

I understand what you said,yes i want to tell you that in Borassus flabifier they are 2 basic varities.i.e like washies their is heavy slow growing type & fast growing robusta type.

What i see in your picture is the lean looking robusta kind.those produce one seed,2 seed & 3 seeds.

in those palms single seeded fruit is not rare.

While the big mama's fruit is almost the size of a huge coconut.or better still a football.And here we have 2,3 & 4 seeds in a fruit.But this one will not grow so lean & tall as seen in the Angarvot B.F specimen.

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thank you, Kris - I hope, you are right :winkie:

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday arrived :winkie:

DSC07356.jpg

One night in a warm bath, because it was very cold on the tripof the nut from Germany to Austria - and today I will start as described on top.

I hope it will work .....

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

Mark, I'm not sure if this is any indicator buy my 45gal B. aethiopum that was protected this winter, low temp I recorded in this area was 32˚F is TOAST not sure if it's going to pull through, I spoke with a few others growing these in S Florida and there's are also Toast, so looks like they do not like long periods of cold. I have read a few have withstood down to 19˚, I think the duration of cold is what does them in.

Kris and Meg and all,

I had 100% germination rate and all were planted directly into the ground!! :)

Kris, what are the temps that you think will be the breaking point for the Borrassus?? How much cold/frost can it take??

I am asking this because here in Florida it has been a brutally cold winter!!

Thanks to everyone involved w/ giving me seeds!! I took special care of them as instructed.

Mark

Paul Gallop

I planted a germinated seed in the ground last fall and am wondering if it will come up at all after this winter. I kept it covered with mulch but 8 weeks of 15-20 degrees below normal, countless nights in the 30s culminating in 28.5 after a day of freezing rain may have done it in. Guess I'll have to wait another 6 months to find out because I am not disturbing the baby.

Meg

Florida

I planted a germinated seed in the ground last fall and am wondering if it will come up at all after this winter. I kept it covered with mulch but 8 weeks of 15-20 degrees below normal, countless nights in the 30s culminating in 28.5 after a day of freezing rain may have done it in. Guess I'll have to wait another 6 months to find out because I am not disturbing the baby.

It depends. I had one that was outside, but under cover and away from the rain, so it lived. All the ones that got rained on rotted.

Keith 

It depends. I had one that was outside, but under cover and away from the rain, so it lived. All the ones that got rained on rotted.

Hmmm. Very foreboding news.

Meg

Florida

I recently noticed the heavy palm seed has normally & naturally disconnected itself from the palm sapling...:)

IMG_0023.jpg

Here's a close up of the seed just moving while watering this palm..

IMG_0024.jpg

And here's a still with the seed removed from that plastic barrel !

IMG_0025.jpg

Here's that empty seed which has given rise to this lovely palm...And this seed was disposed just to ward off unwanted insects taking shelter in it..:huh:

IMG_0026.jpg

By the way if you are good in maths & calculations,you can see how long it took for this to happen ! :hmm:

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hmmm. Very foreboding news.

Yes, I wish you luck on yours. I have 2 left, but possibly 3, as 1 hasn't sprouted yet. None of them have sent out anything but sinker root. I've got one in a clear container, so I can witness the root development, which is quite interesting. The most grown one has sent down close to 1ft of root, but no development yet on anything leaf like. Hopefully I can get at least 1 plant. I've seen Borassus aethiopum for sale here, but I really like the look of Borassus flabellifer better. It's got a much nicer coloring, and the trunk is nicer when mature.

Keith 

I believe out of the 10 seeds Kris sent me 5 sprouted a long white root.

Three went into the ground each at a different depth 3/6/9 inches.

Two went in 5 gal pots about 6 inches deep.

Today one seems to have popped out of the ground something green..One of the potted ones.

Is this my baby coming up? Don't look like the strap leaf I expected to see.

post-140-12689738740366_thumb.jpg

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

Dear Steve :)

The sprout seen in your still does not seem to be of a palm or B.F sapling to me,Can you gently remove the rocks soil,mulch away from the sprout using your hands..It looks more like some agave,draconia seedling of some kind to me.:huh:

Since all palms put out a green coloured stick like spear.And not as the one seen in your still.:blink:

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

The sprout seen in your still does not seem to be of a palm or B.F sapling to me,Can you gently remove the rocks soil,mulch away from the sprout using your hands..It looks more like some agave,draconia seedling of some kind to me.:huh:

Since all palms put out a green coloured stick like spear.And not as the one seen in your still.:blink:

Love,

Kris, That's what I thought. Strange since it's planted in potting mix from a bag and has been in shade house since planting. I to thought it looked like an agave, or maybe a sanseverria.

Steve

Wow! I just finished reading this thread and what a great discussion with spectacular illustrations.I believe this slow grower is hardy to 26F/-3C but is truly a Palm of the tropics.

One cautionary tale. For some reason, pictures never express just how BIG this Palm is in real life.I remember seeing this Palm planted locally at a small house in a location that did not take into account it's ultimate size.It's surreal dimensions ultimately threatened to eat the house.My last drive-by showed the owner must have been forced to take it out. I am certain that it was no easy task!

What you look for is what is looking

Love,

Kris, That's what I thought. Strange since it's planted in potting mix from a bag and has been in shade house since planting. I to thought it looked like an agave, or maybe a sanseverria.

Steve

KRIS!!!! Hello, I just wanted to spread the good news that I have my first leaf of the Borassus pushing up through the ground...not even three months since its been planted! I placed it in a prominent spot in my garden and I know it'll look a little bare for a few years but I planted some hibiscus close by that will be easy to move in a couple of years! Thanks again, Peter

Peter

Nice to hear from you and very happy they have started showing signs of upward grouth.And its clear that the B.F palm has found its home with perfect climate...These should really grown well in years to come and i think your Palms would also be the first to produce fruits & seeds in the near future.i.e by 10 to 12 years they should bear fruits.

And if possible kindly take pictures of those babies,and post in this thread.So that this thread remains active and alive for future reference for our members !

Wish you good luck :greenthumb:

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

post-2997-12693556448893_thumb.jpg

Here's the seed still attached and the new leaf coming up. It will have shade for another twenty minutes or so and the rest of the day in full sun. This particular seed is in an area that gets watered three times a week.

post-2997-12693556739308_thumb.jpg

The orange PVC pipe in the lower left hand corner is the location of this seed. It has a lot of room for growth, sun all day and no chance of "eating my house" like bubba said!

Thanks again, Kris. Peter

• Upvote 1

Peter

That's great news, Peter. I still don't know if mine survived this winter and don't want to disturb it to look. I keep saying "another 6 months" but it is officially spring here and we are still below normal temps - for January! I figure I won't see much growth of anything until days are above 80 and lows above 60.

Meg

Florida

Dear peter :)

Thanks for the update and great visuals...:) Kindly keep us all updated of their grouth rate !

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it seems like months have passed since I placed an update for the Borassus seedling but it's only been three weeks! Time flies when you're having fun!

The seedling has nearly doubled in size since the last post and this is the only one of the eight I have in my garden that is sending up a leaf.

regards to all, Peter

post-2997-12707695590134_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Peter