IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Borassus flabellifer

smile

Wow great thread!!! Great pictures "Kris" !! Can you post more pictures of the adult trees? That is a great looking palm!!

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

Dear Randy :)

Thanks and iam happy you like the illustrations..And as for as stills & photo tour on the palmyra trees found in their natural habitate is seen in the link given below.Kindly visit and tell me how you feel.But the borassus flabifier seen in those stills are regular type or standard form.. :hmm:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...c=14932&hl=

Lots of love to you,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I must say some palmyra seeds did germinate on its way to the final destination... :lol: The still seen below was sent to me,by the member who received those seeds from me... :winkie:

borassus_CropedImgB01.jpg

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 5 weeks later...
Hello Friends :)

Here are few updates on the Borassus.F growing in big black industrial barrel..the germinated seed has put out a spear nearly after 2 full months time ! this barrel is placed in our roof top garden taking full sunlight...all these days ! And i used to water it gently every day.

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

Any news as to how your borassus.F are all doing...? :hmm:

thanks & Love,

And for the next 7 months here we are having summer season,so keep checking my signature to get the weather report of my region.since it has its effect on my palms grouth rate !

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Here is an update of my Borassus flabellifer and Corypha macropoda germinated palms.

Lets start with the B. flabellifer:

I decided that I should check the PVC tubes to see if the seedlings had run out of space; this because they had some months by then.

Here is a picture of the bottom of the PVC tube, you can appreciate some secodary roots making their way through the drainage rock layer.

post-633-1235413259_thumb.jpg

Then, the seedling was removed from the PVC tube to check for its size.

post-633-1235413319_thumb.jpg

I'm curious about this opening in the basal part of first root, just above the secondary roots. I think the leaf spear will grow from there, I'm I right???

Please let me know your comments about it.

post-633-1235413460_thumb.jpg

Here is the planted seedling in a BIG hole: 120cm deep and 60cm aprox. wide. A layer of rock was used for drainage, and them some river sand mixed with rich soil was applied. When the height was exact for the seedling, it was introduced. A mixture of small volcanic rocks, rich soil and river sand was applied just above the secondary roots. After that, the hole was filled with river sand to make it easier for the spear to emerge. Some mulching was applied to reduce fast evaporation and drying of the sandy substrate.

post-633-1235414210_thumb.jpg

post-633-1235414176_thumb.jpg

-----------

Now, the C. macropoda:

Germination.

post-633-1235415205_thumb.jpg

After germination, it was grown in a small container until it produced its first leaf.

post-633-1235415114_thumb.jpg

Today, it was repotted, in a bigger container.

The process:

Layer of rock for drainage purposes.

post-633-1235415352_thumb.jpg

After a thick layer of rich soil, the plant was set.

post-633-1235415531_thumb.jpg

post-633-1235415552_thumb.jpg

The pot was filled with the same rich soil, and the 'dampening method' was used to remove air pockets.

post-633-1235415696_thumb.jpg

Some volcanic rocks for mulching.

post-633-1235415722_thumb.jpg

Her two sisters! :lol:

post-633-1235416287_thumb.jpg

Adolfo García C.,

Interested in collecting Geonoma palms!

Alajuela, Costa Rica.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

just a question

I've looked borassus flabifier seed

they are in a 25 cm pot

now the question is an even bigger pot wise

post-1440-1236513882_thumb.jpgpost-1440-1236513899_thumb.jpg

Dear Friends :)

Here is a update still...and right from the begining i have used a big sized barrel and i have not moved or touched this seed or its root system till this day ! So i do not know what design the root will look like...year after year the same results for me,unless our pet does something to the seeds in pots that are easily accessiable.

And dear smile now you can pot it in a big pot but the medium should be course sandy soil or punic stones,since they damp off easily at this stage in cooler regions.

post-108-1236523058_thumb.jpg

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...
Here is a update for this month,and if you want to know about the present temperature conditions of the place i live in,just refer my signature..which has daily weather report highlighted on it ! :)

BORASSUSF_3202.jpg

BORASSUSF_3201.jpg

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

wow that looks a big seed! More like a little furry critter!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

• 1 month later...

hi all

my borassus flabifier is not good

one is broken

and two still do not

only one root has no growth point

good news

the first three Corypha macropoda germinate

and a photo from the week

peter

Kris,

We had some bad luck with your seed and we eventually got just one seedling. Can you please send a few more later?

Al,

I would love to see a pic of your B.sambiranensis. Maybe we should start a new thread?

Carlo

• 4 months later...

He aquí una actualización! (here's an update !) :)

BF_4270.jpg

Un Close-Up ! (A Close-Up !)

BF_4271.jpg

Mucho amor, (Lots of love)

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

no fun

great photo, s

my plants are dead. had two but my daughter has dropped them and broken

hope yet again to get seeds to try

kris thanks for your photo, s

peter

These are definitely worth the challenges of seed germinating!

South Florida, USA

Mild sub tropical climate - USDA Zone 10

26.9 deg. North latitude

Altitude (5.1 M)  

Winter avg. temp (15.6 C)

Summer avg. temp (28.1 C)

Yearly Rainfall approx. (1270 mm)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Peter,

Please keep us posted on your Borassus seeds. Kris has sent me some and I am awaiting their arrival. I´ve read every post...several times...and can´t wait til they get here. Good Luck to you and, Kris, you´re amazing!

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

hello peter

My seeds are dead

My daughter had mistakenly dropped the seeds

while the roots are broken off

Now I hope ever to get a seed.

Kris thanks for your nice photo, s

peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I just wanted to show my bounty...Thank you Kris...and a few pics of the initial germination process. The warmest place right now is on top of the fridge so that´s where the baggies are! Wish me luck! Peter

post-2997-1259860771_thumb.jpg

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

and...I changed the size settings to take other pics...sorry if this file is too big or too long a download. I will change the setting and take some more when I get back to the beach. Peter

Mod Edit: Photo deleted per request. Personal address was visible.

Peter

one more...

post-2997-1259861262_thumb.jpg

Peter

Deep containers a must. They really hate their roots disturbed. I had one get really set back by repotting to a 25 gallon size. I think it is best to plant with the container in the ground. These monsters will grow and bust the container no problem. :blink:

Ron. :rolleyes:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning everybody,

I just wanted to offer an update on the Borassus seeds. I bagged them on the 28th of November and today planted them (December 23rd). Of the 11 seeds that Kris sent me, 10 have germinated and one more I left in germination for just a little while longer. I planted one Big Mama seed directly into the ground and the others in a big homemade box and chicken wire for the prescribed "suspension method". The chicken wire on the bottom of the box is a much more open weave than what is visible in the photograph. But since our soil is so sandy I can imagine the first leaf having a hard time reaching the surface. I am experimenting and having fun. Kris said the only way to repay him was to germinate the seeds and fill Guatemala with Borassus flabellifer palms...I am determined to make that happen.

Peter

post-2997-1261586374_thumb.jpg

post-2997-1261586407_thumb.jpg

post-2997-1261586488_thumb.jpg

Peter

Kris,

I had 8 seeds germinate out of ten. I'll still wait for the last two! I did what you said and planted in the ground all of the germinated seeds, no pots for me!!

I am thankfull for your kindness and i took very special care of them!

Meg, thank you again for sending me the Borrassus seeds!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Kris,

I had 8 seeds germinate out of ten. I'll still wait for the last two! I did what you said and planted in the ground all of the germinated seeds, no pots for me!!

Mark, that is great news. I'm still waiting for my Big Mama seed to do something. And I'll have to wait about 6 months to see the 1st leaf of the B.f. I planted in the back yard.

Peter, way to go. Hope your seeds give you lots of palms.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Kris,

Mark, that is great news. I'm still waiting for my Big Mama seed to do something. And I'll have to wait about 6 months to see the 1st leaf of the B.f. I planted in the back yard.

Hi Mark, Hi Meg...I've been thinking the same thing...put the seeds directly into the ground. Good Luck with the Big Mama seed Meg, they're huge! Peter

Peter

I was so worried about getting the germination right that, now, I am left with one question: How can I tell which saplings will be male and which will be female? Any help? Peter

Peter

Now, I am left with one question: How can I tell which saplings will be male and which will be female ? Any help ? Peter

Dear Peter :)

The results are fentastic and great work ! :greenthumb: And by the way impressive stills ! :winkie: And now coming to your question to tell wheather the B.F palm is a male or female will certainly take up to 8 to 12 years in gound also depending on ones climate the waiting period will be greater.. :huh: But for you it should be around 8 to 9 years at most. :lol:

Dear Mark :)

Your B.F seeds germination results are also great ! :greenthumb:

And here are some updates of the borassus.F that is growing fine in our roof top garden ! :winkie:

IMG_4663.jpg

A close up !

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

Lots of love to you all,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thank you all for posting photos, the big mama s

mine are all gone, had fallen and broken roots

I hope for you that they are beautiful.

And I also hope to get seeds

to try again

Kris,

Hi Mark, Hi Meg...I've been thinking the same thing...put the seeds directly into the ground. Good Luck with the Big Mama seed Meg, they're huge! Peter

Meg, Kris, and Peter,

Thanks guys keep the updates coming! Update; i now have 9 of 10 germinated and i am sure to have the last one soon.

Peter,

Kris had said that it was best to plant the germinated seed directly in the ground if you can, so that is what i have done!

Meg told me the same thing and thanks to her, i'll have some shoots coming up in my yard next summer!

Kris,

Your seedling is getting really big!! My friends from India explained to me a process of retrieving water from the Borrassus.

I have forgotten the term she used, but you know what i mean! She also explained eating the fruit and the taste just like you

explained. She is very happy to have a germinated seed sown in her front yard, now i will give her another one!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Your seedling is getting really big!! My friends from India explained to me a process of retrieving water from the Borrassus.

I have forgotten the term she used, but you know what i mean! She also explained eating the fruit and the taste just like you

explained. She is very happy to have a germinated seed sown in her front yard, now i will give her another one!

Dear Mark :)

Your welcome ! And yes,this palm has a notorious reputation of giving juice(Water)when fermented is as good as russian Vodka and this stuff we call it here as Arrak.But no fermented water is very good for health and is on par with tender coconut water in nutrition & has cooling properties of water melon ! And some seniors to whom i talked said that this water has similar properities found in 'Gensing',So no doubt our continent is over populated... :rolleyes:

Anyway of all the years i have sent seeds,i think this batch seem to have the maxium germination rate,hope & pray that these germinated seeds even grow-up in to healthy looking palms in future. :greenthumb:

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I plan to put some in the ground.

How deep?

What would be the spread of the fronds when it just gets big enough to trunk? Need to figure out spacing with other palms.

What If I put 3 in one big hole? Would it look good as a clumper and give me more chance for male female next to each other?

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I plan to put some in the ground.

How deep?

What would be the spread of the fronds when it just gets big enough to trunk? Need to figure out spacing with other palms.

What If I put 3 in one big hole? Would it look good as a clumper and give me more chance for male female next to each other?

Dear Steve :)

Here are some visuals,and i think they answer all your questions and i also insist you & others visit the link i have given below to see how these palms they grow in the wild.. :hmm:

IMG_1390.jpg

Here is a still with rows of B.F palm lined up ! :drool:

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1387-1.jpg

And here's the link !

Borassus flabellifer

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks Kris, how deep should I plant the seeds in the ground>

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

Thanks Kris, how deep should I plant the seeds in the ground

Nice question ! But that depends on your region's soil condition.If you have course grade sandy soil which is not tight but loose then just dig a hole the size of a tennis ball 'can',that will do.

But if your region is clayee soil then the pit should be one feet by feet and also one feet deep.And when filling this pit,kindly do it with sandy soil and not the same clayee soil.once the leaf sprouts you can add dead leaf mulch or humas as top soil dressing.

And in case if you have rocky soil or gravel grade then you will have to double the size of that pit to 2 feet by 2 feet and 2 feet deep.And while filling same course grade soil is much desire.Once the palm begins to like your climate and the soil then the palm will begin to move.

Each of the B.F palms can sustain thenselves.Even fertz,mannure or watering is not required for it.I would call this borassus & our sylversteris palm as bullet proof palm ideally suited for tropical kind of climate having heavy coastal influence with high humidity.

So if your area is expereinecing humidity less than 30% then you will have to water it regularly till it puts out a hardened trunk.This is to just aggrivate its grouth rate !

And watering is need only in the summers,once established.

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks Kris for the seeds. They sure were fresh. I have 5 sprouted out of 8. Here is a picture story:

Borassus Flabellifer

Now I wait, and wait, and wait.......

First let me thank you for the visuals & update...fentastic work and the stills have all come out well and that too being presented in big resolution and i love it ! :drool:

Lets pray that most of the seeds do grow up into beautiful borassus in years to come.

Since tropical & equitorial climate is perfectly okay for these palms.

All the best & happy growing,

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Kris and all Palmyra lovers! I was out in the yard and couldn't believe the development in my Borassus seeds!!!! Nineteen days since my last post and they already had roots about 12 inches long so I put them into the ground in a place that hopefully will not have to be disturbed. I now have 8 Borassus flabellifers in my garden, to make sure I have male and female in nine years, and have kept a couple for a couple of friends. Here are some shots of the seeds and my guys, Willie, Panky and Juan Carlos sharing my excitement! Here is my report from the box where they were placed after germination to their new permanent location. I hope you like the photos, Peter

post-2997-1263230250_thumb.jpg

post-2997-1263230269_thumb.jpg

post-2997-1263230287_thumb.jpg

post-2997-1263230313_thumb.jpg

post-2997-1263230354_thumb.jpg

post-2997-1263230382_thumb.jpg

post-2997-1263230407_thumb.jpg

post-2997-1263230438_thumb.jpg

post-2997-1263230460_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Peter