IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

RAINMAKER

Jeff in St Pete

Dear Jeff :)

like always those stills are fabulous and each worth to be a wallpaper or a postcard !

And nice photography...very nice.i felt as thought i was travelling with you all_that's the fell i got viewing those stills. :winkie:

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

My pleasure Randy. No wonder you went back so many times. It's one of those places you can visit over and over again and see new things each time.

Kris, I wish you were traveling with me. My friends are not very interested in palms, so it would have been fun to have a palm buddy along for the tour. :)

If anyone is interested in finding out more about Rainmaker, check out their great website. RAINMAKER

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Great pics Jeff.

Thanks for the show.

I loved seeing some of those palms in the wild as I am growing quiet a few of them and they seem to like the climate here equally.

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

I agree with you Jeff, this is a truly magical place. Looks like something out of Lord of the Rings movies. I wish you would have known about this place when I was down there. I would have liked to visit. I really enjoy the waterfall atmosphere. Thanks for sharing the spectacular pics!

Hey Mike, I'm pretty sure I mentioned this place to you when you were here. But at the time, I didn't know anything about it. Oh well, I guess it's just another reason for you to come back for another visit!

Jeff,

Maybe I'll try to cut in on some of that action?? Seeing those awesome pics just makes me want to go back!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks Jim, I would think we have similar climates?

Bill, come on back to Costa Rica! There's always room at my place for a guest. Lots of Costa Rican PRA awaits us!

Awesome photos Jeff! Really enjoyed the scenery, the waterfalls and palms especially. I keep plotting my return to CR.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Thanks Robert!

Please let me know when you decide to come back.

hola jeff, there are no native amorphophallus in the "new world", so that´s a dracontium species in post 16. bonito lugar.

saludos.

Edited by leomx

leomx, thanks for the info! They look very similar, I assume they are related in some way?

Monumental pictorial thread Jeff...

The climate seems to be so generous that even Livistona chinensis looks amazing...best looking I've seen...

Hats off to your camera...loved the Asterogynes too...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Thanks Gileno! It's hard to find a bad looking L. chinensis here.

Asterogyne and Chamaedorea were prominent in that forest.

that´s right, jeff, both are in the araceae family. interesting thing about them is that amorphophallus ranging from Asia is way more popular and known to us (americans) than dracontium which is from our self american continent. :blink: dracontiums are more interesting also (at least for me). you can compare that dracontium stem in your picture with one of an A. titanum and you will see what I mean.

saludos.

Thanks again leomx! I never even heard of Dracontium before. Our guide didn't know the name of that plant, but he did say it had a smelly flower so I just assumed it was Amorphophallus. I'll be on the lookout for more of these interesting plants. :)

Oh wow, double wow, thanks so much, best thread for ages, how sad for Mauricio Guitierrez. Imagine what palms would grow there ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks Wal!

It is sad what happened to Mauricio Sr, but I still think it is amazing that the family went ahead with his dream and saw it through. They had to battle disputes over the land with other family members and had to deal with an invasion of 150 squatter families who tried to take over the land. I really give them a lot of credit for what they have accomplished.

Jeff,

Thanks for the trip. That looks like a great forest. I love waterfalls in the forest.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Me too Don. It was the many waterfalls that gave it a mystical appearance.

Hi Jeff,

RAINMAKER is the fulfillment of a dream and a half! As wonderful as your photos are, it probably doesn't do the place justice. Thanks for sharing those. BTW, this too has been added to my future trip wishlist.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Wow! I never thought I'd say so but I feel after tackling arenal bridges, I could do those too! :drool: Take me there next trip! Gorgeous!!!!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Ray, my photos don't do the place justice. You have to see it to believe it. Come on down!

Bren, I was shaking by the time I walked across that long bridge! I'm not real good with heights. The guide told us that many people get to that bridge and refuse to cross. Then they have to walk almost the entire trail again to get back. After you cross the highest and longest bridge, it's just a short walk down to the visitor center. He even said that some people get halfway across that bridge and then get scared and crawl on their hands and knees the rest of the way! We will definitely go there on your next visit. It will be fun to see the look on your face! :lol:

Jeff, I believe the bridge is basically some aluminum extension ladders lashed together. It swayed a whole bunch, but seemed kinda safe :drool: It's not the photos, but the heavy, dense air of the mountain that has to be experienced. It has a microclimate that changes as you ascend in the rainforest to the cloudforest. Very cool place. I lost count of the waterfalls. It was a lot dryer in March as opposed to October. Your fortunate to live kinda close by, you'll be back :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Randy, that's exactly what it is. You walk across ladders that have wooden planks laid on top and then everything is wrapped in mesh.

It's very narrow and very scary, but I will be back. :)

I agree with you Jeff, this is a truly magical place. Looks like something out of Lord of the Rings movies. I wish you would have known about this place when I was down there. I would have liked to visit. I really enjoy the waterfall atmosphere. Thanks for sharing the spectacular pics!

Hey Mike, I'm pretty sure I mentioned this place to you when you were here. But at the time, I didn't know anything about it. Oh well, I guess it's just another reason for you to come back for another visit!

Jeff, Did you mention this after the first bottle of wine or the second or the ..... Those bridges look pretty scary to me too. I think I would have to cross it just for the view. A chain is only strong as its weakest link. Did you see the weakest link of the rope when you were crossing? Yuk Yuk. That place is definitely on the list for a revisit. I just have to convince my wife to go back. I never told you about our incident in Dominical, where she almost died in the rocky surf. We ended up back in San Jose early to see some doctors.

Wow, what a fantastic place! I love all the waterfalls with dense tropical foliage. The one with the tree fern and the one with the red flowers are spectacular! Hope I get to see it one day.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Jeff, Did you mention this after the first bottle of wine or the second or the ..... Those bridges look pretty scary to me too. I think I would have to cross it just for the view. A chain is only strong as its weakest link. Did you see the weakest link of the rope when you were crossing? Yuk Yuk. That place is definitely on the list for a revisit. I just have to convince my wife to go back. I never told you about our incident in Dominical, where she almost died in the rocky surf. We ended up back in San Jose early to see some doctors.

Oh no! The only thing you told me about was your run-in with the police. I take it she recovered ok? I promise your next visit will be "mas tranquilo".

Wow, what a fantastic place! I love all the waterfalls with dense tropical foliage. The one with the tree fern and the one with the red flowers are spectacular! Hope I get to see it one day.

Mark, if you love waterfalls, Costa Rica is the place to go. They are all over this country. The rainforests here are the most beautiful I have ever seen.

Jeff , I should have read both pages before sending you that pm. :wub:

Two very impressive Dracontium species grow in CR . It could be D.pittieri , but to me it looks like D. gigas .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

No problem Michael :) Thanks for sending the PM and the photo of the flower! I responded back to you.

Woah....what an absolute treasure. Thanks for sharing these. I love looking at pics of real tropical jungle. I would not have crossed that bridge. So much to take in, but so refreshing to the soul.

I'm thankful that there are places like that left in the world.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Cindy, I'm thankful that places like this still exist too! Too bad most of them are disappearing quickly.

Hi Jeff,

I didn't see this thread until today. Great photos! I especially like the waterfall in post #17.

Regards,

Luis Diego.

Thanks Luis Diego! I'm thinking this would be a great place for our local palm society to visit someday.

Hi Jeff,

I didn't see this thread until today. Great photos! I especially like the waterfall in post #17.

Regards,

Luis Diego.

Thanks Luis Diego! I'm thinking this would be a great place for our local palm society to visit someday.

Yeah that's a good idea. :)

Regards.

Luis Diego G.

Alajuela, Costa Rica.

My website: SeresVerdes.com

Plants and seeds I have for trade

Thank you Jeff for the story and pictures, we have to find a way to protect these beautiful places from logging.

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you Jeff for the story and pictures, we have to find a way to protect these beautiful places from logging.

regards

colin

Colin, I wish I could protect this area from logging or clearing. There are so many projects going on in Manuel Antonio right now that are (in my opinion) ruining this area. Just this month they started clearing a huge piece of land across from the hotel Si Como No. There is a huge Wyndham property which is going to be built there and I heard they are also making a golf course. IMO, golf courses are THE BIGGEST waste of land in the world. It makes me sick to my stomach when I see what they have done to that area. I´ve read that Costa Rica was once 99% forested. Now (depending on who you believe) only 35% - 50% remains forested. Just in the two years that I have been living in Manuel Antonio, I´ve seen so much land cleared and trees chopped down or illegaly poisoned so that they can be removed. Even with laws in place, there are always loopholes to get around them or a local official who will take a pay-off to give the necessary permit.