• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      My Needle Palm went from smaller fronds to big fronds over the summer, look at the size of them, and they'll get much bigger! I had to hold the camera way up to get the whole frond in the picture! 

• cm05
      By cm05
      New York City is a high end zone 7b, cold hardy palms are very rare, but they’re there if you know where to look. Tropical palms, however, are all over the place during the warmer months.
      Sabal minor growing out in the open in Tompkins Square Park in Manhattan:

It’s flowering, hopefully it seeds so I can grab them all lol, anyone want a Manhattan Minor?

• RJ
      By RJ
      So I don't tend to post many picks of hybrids I've purchased from Patric until I get a chance to get an idea of what they will look like. I've always really liked the Yatay mule that @_Keith has that is a showstopper. So I did purchase a few from Patric last year and they are now starting to go pinate.  However in talking with Patric he peaked my interest when he mentioned he had a Yatay X (Mule). Now from my understanding Mules tend to have sterile pollen so it's pretty interesting that patric has pulled this cross off. After a few questions directed at patric and a little digging the mule pollen came from one of two palms that @Gtlevine has in his amazing garden. These mules are the offspring of a huge mule that was created by the late Dr. Wilcox and was sent to HBG in Ca. This mule for some reason has viable seeds, or at least some are. Garry germinated two of them and has them growing in his garden- one of them is the daddy to this hybrid.  (Hopefully I have this linage correct)

So I purchased this palm last year from Patric as a 5g plant. As is par for the course, it arrived in excellent shape and I received it in the end of July 2018. I potted it up into a 15g and it has never looked back since. I have not tested this palm in the cold but I would venture to guess given the genetics that this palm is at least a tad but more cold hardy then a traditional mule which tend to be reliable to the mid to upper teens depending on the genetics of specific plant. Given that this palm should be a tad more hardy. It's not as soft as a mule but not nearly as rigid as a typical butia. My hunch is this might be a great alternative to those who can't quite pull off a mule reliably.  I have this plant in 80% sun.  

Here it is Last July 25th 2018 in a 5g:

October 25th  2018

August 20th 2019

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Sabal ‘Louisiana’ #1
      This little guy is growing slowly but surely. The spear in the middle is starting to make itself more prominent. 

• SEVA
      By SEVA
      I figured I would start a new topic giving an update on some of my palms and other things growing in a Virginia garden.  Now that I've had a little more free time, I've been catching up on quite a bit of weeding and such.  It's still a work in progress.  Hopefully, I can get the photos to load.  Ever since getting a different phone I've had some difficulties uploading photos, so trying the computer.