IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Huge Palm, Cycad & Tropical Plant Sale

Phil

Dave and Matt,

Thank you for your kind words.

Group,

A few more photos to end. First, Dioon merolae at the Nursery and in habitat.

Dioon%20merolae%20box%20(Large).JPG

Dioonmerolae0390.jpg

And more species:

Dioon califanoi

DioonCalifanoi0827.jpg

Cyphoesperma b.

HJD-cyphosperma_balanse05.GIF

Continued:

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Continued:

Burretiokentia k. in the wild.

burretiokentia_koghiensis_003.gif

Chambeyronia lepidota:

chambeyronia_lepidota_001.GIF

Basselinia pancheri in habitat:

basselinia_pancheri_002.GIF

Others:

metroxylon_amicarum_003_(seed).GIF

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Continued:

Acanthophoenix c. in the wild

acanthophoenix_crinita_001.GIF

Ravenea glauca in the wild:

Ravenea%20glauca%20habitat%20(Small).jpg

One of my favorite palms;

rhopaloblaste_ceramica_005.gif

A dwarf Zamia:

zamia_kickxii_001.gif

It seems I have more photographs than time. And, there's so many species I would have liked to talk about. But, from the beginning, I had a problem with this thread. And, that problem is that this thread would be lost forever with the "come and get um" ads into the the bowels of this website, never to be seen again. How many times have you said to yourself, "Remember that thread on...." but been unable to find it? And, advertising threads may be deleted without thought to free up disc space. So, I came to realize that these hundreds of hours I had spent in compilation of photos and data would be lost forever. I told myself that, if I were to continue, it had to be in a place where it would get more readership and permanence, for thousands to see rather than just a few, and for years and not just weeks.

Considering this, in the near future I will be featuring a section at my own website where I'll deal with one species or genus at a time. I will try to make it user friendly with easy search features that will direct you right to the species that you want to review. I will include information that you just can't find anywhere with lots of descriptive photos. It's already in progress but will take some time to develope. This will enable palm and cycad enthusiasts in the future to find easily accessible data on a lot of species. And, this information will be useful and fun for the reader.

One of the things I've found in doing this thread is the real lack of photographic material and data on any given species on the Internet. The best websites gave a synopsis at best. And, typically one would see only one or two photos of a species. It was not unusual for me to find only a single picture or two on any given species. The Discussing Palms section of this website may have been a better place for this thread but I don't think this thread would have survived there very long and it could not have been done with the format I used showing nursery stock. Texts on palms and cycads are very useful, but because of printing costs, these texts minimize photographs and don't really get into the cultural aspects and the fine points on species other than strict taxonomy. With all these considerations, I had to develope a solution and that was to move it to a place that would have permanence and easy access.

I will let you know when this new service is up, running and has material to read. I will try to make it something that you'll enjoy.

Take care and thank you all for your several months of supporting this thread.

Phil

Great stuff, as always, Phil! You did not give the name of your favorite palm...Is that a Clinostigma?

Joe

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

As I've said in person, I'll say publicly. Thanks very much for this thread, and I think its quite invaluable!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Very educational thread, Phil! Don't stop now...

Who took the Bismarckia and Ravenea glauca pix in Madagascar? They are excellent!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Phil,

I would also like to thank you for the informative thread,I enjoyed reading the posts and the pics!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Phil,

I would also like to thank you for the informative thread,I enjoyed reading the posts and the pics!

MONEY TALKS :drool: :drool:

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Phil,

Clark,

As usual I have no idea what you are talking about, do you ? :hmm::rolleyes:

I was merely thanking Phil for spending a great deal of his time putting this thread together,sure it was to sell palms,but it went way beyond that.

It was very educational in alot of ways, ID'ing palms especially, maybe you should read it! :winkie::)

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I for one really miss Phil's morning posts.

Now I am stuck watching the morning news with my first cup of coffee and that really sucks lately !

I would rather hide in Palm Paradise for a little longer.

Thank You Phil for all the great posts,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Phil,

A very good, extensive topic.You passed along so much good information that I'm sure many,many viewers not only enjoyed, but learned from. I know I did. I think your time has come for putting all this wealth of information into a book(?).

Thanks,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Phil,

Clark once again with his clever use of emoticons. Do us a favor and don't ruin a great thread with pointless dribble. Great thread Phil thanks for taking the time and effort.

San Marcos CA

...pointless dribble...

Pun intended I assume.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks again for all the time you've spent on this Phil. Can't say much that hasn't been said already. I look forward to your "blog"!

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I for one really miss Phil's morning posts.

Now I am stuck watching the morning news with my first cup of coffee and that really sucks lately !

I would rather hide in Palm Paradise for a little longer.

Cycads-n-Palms.com

I agree George, the coffee just doesn't taste as good anymore :)

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean