IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Super-size" spears

quaman58

Hey all,

I've got two palms opening leaves this week--Caryota gigas & Dypsis lanceolata. It occurred to me how both species throw enormous new leaves, at least in relation to their size. Every new leaf is 20% larger than the last one, and seems to double the size of the plant once it opens. Anyone have other good examples of palms that do this?

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Love pics of your lanceolota Bret. That is a nice one you got.

Shon

San Marcos CA

Many palms will do that.

If they're in bodacious good health, they'll rip and roar.

Nice pix!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I don't have a current picture but I have a chambeyronia that is about 10 months pregnant with a new frond. It is about 6 feet tall. The tallest spear that I have ever seen. I will try and get a pic to show. I keep expecting it to explode it's so big. I hope it doesn't take out the neighboring palm and foliage. Maybe it's a javelin in disguise.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(epicure3 @ Oct. 03 2006,23:25)

I don't have a current picture but I have a chambeyronia that is about 10 months pregnant with a new frond. It is about 6 feet tall. The tallest spear that I have ever seen. I will try and get a pic to show. I keep expecting it to explode it's so big. I hope it doesn't take out the neighboring palm and foliage. Maybe it's a javelin in disguise.

Oh!

Dear!

God!

(Atheists!  Come help me!)

I'm braced in the big Swooney . . . .

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Oct. 03 2006,23:38)

(epicure3 @ Oct. 03 2006,23:25)

Oh!

Dear!

God!

(Atheists!  Come help me!)

I'm braced in the big Swooney . . . .

dave

Shakespeare couldn't have said it better himself. Unless you are............nah! Couldn't be.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

My Dypsis leptocheilos always has an lengthy spear, so does the Dictyosperma album. I'd say one of my Archo cunninghamianas (bangalows) would have produced the longest spear so far though.

Good thread, I'm curious, I suppose Raphias would win out.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Attalea's have massive spears. I have 3 now that I hope to one day witness the unveiling of one of those fronds.

atta_co3.jpg

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

(Wal @ Oct. 03 2006,22:31)

My Dypsis leptocheilos always has an lengthy spear, so does the Dictyosperma album. I'd say one of my Archo cunninghamianas (bangalows) would have produced the longest spear so far though.

Good thread, I'm curious, I suppose Raphias would win out.

Like Wal, my teddy bear has super long spears before opening.  It continues to grow long after you expect it to open.  It just keeps going.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here's that supsersize me spear on one of my chambeyronias and also a rather tall one on a veitchia.

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(Ken Johnson @ Oct. 04 2006,18:24)

This Borassus had one before I cut it off for transplant!

That is known as the "Bobbitt" cut.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

The biggest spear I recall seeing was a Caryota Urens that was about 60 feet (20 m) tall and that spear was MASSIVE, about 20 feet tall, and as fat around as my waist at the time, about 34 inches (1 m), and, like my bod, covered with hair.  

Impressive!  (The spear.)

A fellow (I assume it's a he . . . ) down the road in nearby west La La Ha Ha has some C. gigas in his yard that produces spears that are about 20 feet long, but not as massive as C. urens.

But much hairier . . .

dave

One of my palms that defintiely has super size spears is my Rhopalostylis baueri.  It has only grown about 5 new fronds in the last 2 years, but has gone from a 1 metre (3.3 feet) palm to a 3 metre (10 feet) palm with the last new spear over 2 metres (6.6 feet) tall, and this palm does not even look close to trunking.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

hello everyone,

This is my first post on palm talk and this topic caught my eye.  I cant imagine any spear being more massive than a c. gigas especialy since the Fronds can be 20' long and almost as wide.  In my opinion much more massive than a c. urens.  I have a gigas that I planted 3 years ago as a fifteen gal and its throwing eight to nine foot spears (the third one since spring should be opening up soon and just before it does I can post of pic).  My urens which I planted maybe 15 months ago from a 15 gal while a ridiculously fast grower, its fronds pale in comparison.  Chamby's spear are also quite large.  My hookeri which has not yet begin to trunk but soon I hope is throwing spears around 8' ft long (One in process of opening now and will try and post a pic tommorrow)

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I tried this once already but will try it again.  Here is a picture of my Cham hookeri.  The spear that is opening up is 8' and the palm itself has not yet begin to trunk yet.  The heat that we had this year set my palms on some serious spurts. This is the second frond that has opened this summer the last one being towards the latter half of July when he had that crazy heat wave

USDA Zone 10a

I'm going to get a picture as soon as I learn to post them, someday maybe

USDA Zone 10a

Don,

I had a bit of trouble, at least on the old forum, with posting pics. I think it was a sizing issue. Since then I've used Photobucket. It's free. Once I post it to that, I just "copy and paste" the "img" line onto my post. (The bottom line beneath the photo on your Photobucket image) Hope this helps,

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Thanks Bret I'll try it later, maybe this time I can get it right.

Don

USDA Zone 10a

Caryota obtusa (a.k.a. C. gigas) definitely have very impressive spears, and so do Attaleas, but Raphia farinifera logically would have the most impressive ones, since this is the palm with the longest frond of any palm (up to 55 ft or so). The problem is that the new spear is sort of hidden in among all the other fronds and they have these little unfriendly spines....so, bottom line: no photo!

Even though this is nowhere near the size of the above palms, this Dypsis bejofo may have the most impressive spear of any Dypsis palm. Because of light conditions only part of it is visible, but the whole spear is more than 20 ft tall.

post-22-1160878143_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Now thats a massive spear, but I would love to see the spear of the raphia

USDA Zone 10a

My Caryota spears always impress me. I wouldn't like to be impaled on one...

rumphiana.jpg

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Picture021.jpgOk I finaly got how to do this image posting thing.  Here is a picture of an 8 1/2 ft spear opening up on my Chambeyronia Hookeri. As you can see the palm itself has not yet began to trunk but will soon I hope but still the spear is large in relation to the size of the palm.

Picture023.jpg

And here is a picture of my caryota gigas with an eight foot spear that has atleast another foot or more before it opens up.

USDA Zone 10a