IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Riverside seeds

Patrick

Hi Everyone.

I went to Dick Douglass house on Saturday and he was gracious enough to give me a whole BUNCH of Sabal Riverside seeds from his tree in his front yard. I'm sure he can elaborate more on the history of his tree, if need be. At any rate, I only need about 50 seeds (and even then, that's too many) and I've got about 300 or so extra. I'm willing to send these out to whomever wants to grow them. Just PM me with your info and I can send you a batch of about 15 or so. If you want more (within reason) just let me know. I want to make it fair for everyone. :rolleyes:

I will send the stuff out on Saturday so y'all can get it soon enough. I'll just send seeds until I run out. I'll let you know either way. :)

These seeds are pretty fresh, totally full and unwrinkled to partially wrinkled. And yes, I've cleaned them ALL so you don't have to. They're ready to roll!! :mrlooney: :mrlooney:

Oh, and on a side note, these seeds were MUCH more enjoyable to clean than the Arengas I did a year ago! :lol:

Thanks guys and gals. I don't really want anything to trade, I just want to see pics of nice palm tree seedlings in 6 months!

Patrick

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

C'mon folks!!!!

I've only been asked for 120 seeds so far, I've got WAY more than that!!!!

Here, see the picture.......

post-195-1223417913_thumb.jpg

Oakley, California

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hi Everyone.

I went to Dick Douglass house on Saturday and he was gracious enough to give me a whole BUNCH of Sabal Riverside seeds from his tree in his front yard. I'm sure he can elaborate more on the history of his tree, if need be. At any rate, I only need about 50 seeds (and even then, that's too many) and I've got about 300 or so extra. I'm willing to send these out to whomever wants to grow them. Just PM me with your info and I can send you a batch of about 15 or so. If you want more (within reason) just let me know. I want to make it fair for everyone. :rolleyes:

I will send the stuff out on Saturday so y'all can get it soon enough. I'll just send seeds until I run out. I'll let you know either way. :)

These seeds are pretty fresh, totally full and unwrinkled to partially wrinkled. And yes, I've cleaned them ALL so you don't have to. They're ready to roll!! :mrlooney: :mrlooney:

Oh, and on a side note, these seeds were MUCH more enjoyable to clean than the Arengas I did a year ago! :lol:

Thanks guys and gals. I don't really want anything to trade, I just want to see pics of nice palm tree seedlings in 6 months!

Patrick

Patrick, I would love to try a few of these seed. I hear they are large Sabals and grow fast. Is the mother growing in sandy or clay soil? I will PM you with an address, Jeff.

Hey everybody, I'm sending stuff tomorrow (Friday), but I still have plenty of seeds. I'll send out another batch next Friday. Please don't let this message discourage you from sending a me a message. This is more or less just an update for the people that have already contacted me.

Peace!!

Pat

Oakley, California

Hey everybody, I'm sending stuff tomorrow (Friday), but I still have plenty of seeds. I'll send out another batch next Friday. Please don't let this message discourage you from sending a me a message. This is more or less just an update for the people that have already contacted me.

Peace!!

Pat

Patrick, Thanks for the seed which arrived today! Do you have a photo of the mother tree for everyones viewing pleasure?

Would you like some Butia seed?

Later,

Luke

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Patrick, thank you very much for the Sabal Riverside seed. I have not found any of these growing on the North Carolina coast. That may be due to S. palmetto being so easy to grow here. I suspect they will do great in our conditions. Again, thank you for your generosity, Jeff.

Patrick,

I received my packet of seeds last night and I just wanted to say...You so ROCK dude! I appreciate you sharing your spoils from Dick's house with me. I hope I have worthy pics for you by summer.

Know that I am smiling today because of you :D

marylei

I just got home last night and found a nice surprise. Thank you for sharing the wealth Patrick.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I received mine yesterday as well. I await germination. THANKS Patrick.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the nice words, I really appreciate it and am happy to be able to spread the wealth of Dick Douglass' generosity! I'm just waiting on one last address, and then I'll be fully OUT OF SEEDS- until next time of course!

Thanks to everyone who responded. I hope the seeds grow well for you! If you don't have it, The Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms states that fresh Sabal seed germinates in about 3 months and re-hydrated seed takes about 3 times that length to sprout.

I think I sent out about 350 seeds to here & there, I think Croatia or Jordan was the farthest, and I know the guys in The Netherlands will give the genus a run for their money (the motherland)! I know someone in France will have a nice palm in a few years! A lot of folks in Texas, the Carolinas, Kansas, Hawaii, and of course, California will be seeing some nice sprouts in about 6 months!! In fact, I've got to mix up a batch of growing medium for my seeds this weekend. I hope I have some nice pictures for you as well in a few months!

I'm going to look through the message board for a nice picture of the parent palm so you all (y'all for you Texas folks) can see what you're dealing with!

Good luck and happy growing!!!

PAt

Oakley, California

Hi everyone!

Here's the pictures of the parent plant. Sorry they're not great, but at least they are artistic!!!

Sabal Riverside:

post-195-1224366387_thumb.jpg

post-195-1224366403_thumb.jpg

Oakley, California

Patrick, came home today to find your seed package having been delivered. Really appreciate your generousity. If you are ever interested in Sabal Mexicana seeds please let me know. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 2 weeks later...

Eys :drool: ,Thanks Patrick

The seeds arived today ,so let me grow some Sabal Riverside palms in the Netherlands

These are interesting seeds for the Netherlands cold and wet in the winter .

So lets go .

A lot of palmfriends are trying these seeds .

Always interested in cold tolerated palms ,so a lot of them growing these palms and banana's in there garden.

Gerard

hoi patrik

I have today received your seeds

Thanks to

in a few years we have more palm trees than normal in holland

Now the weather has improved and we are a country tropich

greetings peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm sorry that i've don't tell you already, but i've recieved my seeds also in a good state some weeks ago. I don't have got the time already to sow them also, i hope too do that this weekend. When i'm got some sprouts the picture will be sended ;)

So, thanks again for this seeds!

Robbin

Southwest

Patrick, thank you very much for the Sabal Riverside seed :lol:

Even if they were longer on their way (almost a month)...I'm much happier receiving them, cause I thought they went lost.

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Here is a still of our SRS which is around 2 years old now ! and i must say once established these giants need big continers as seen in this still or better place it in the ground.since once they fill up roots they stop growing.and the black plastic barrel seen is now full of roots and it has stopped growing.and all the SRS of this batch are in small pots and i must say they have hardly grown much.

once our rainy season is over we will be planting our SRS in the ground..

post-108-1227368437_thumb.jpg

And by the way dear peter,its a praise worthy effort of yours sending fresh seeds to our forum friends.. :greenthumb::winkie:

Lots of love to you,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a still of our SRS which is around 2 years old now ! and i must say once established these giants need big continers as seen in this still or better place it in the ground.since once they fill up roots they stop growing.and the black plastic barrel seen is now full of roots and it has stopped growing.and all the SRS of this batch are in small pots and i must say they have hardly grown much.

once our rainy season is over we will be planting our SRS in the ground..

post-108-1227368437_thumb.jpg

And by the way dear peter,its a praise worthy effort of yours sending fresh seeds to our forum friends.. :greenthumb::winkie:

Lots of love to you,

Thanks for the info Kris. My little SRS seedlings filled out some 2 litre coke bottles this year. I'll be sure to keep them in bigger containers in the future. They are much faster than the sabal palmetto seedling I have.

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

• 2 months later...

anyone have any luck yet? I read on the forum somewhere that Dick said they were notoriously hard to germinate.

nothing happening to my seeds yet, while all the other sabals im germinating are fast.

Luke

63" rain annually

Same here,I have some sabal palmettos and some Mex,Tex sabals,already popped and are growing and putting on second strap leaves.

The sabal Riversides seeds are quite swollen,but they have been that way since the 2 days of soaking before planting.

I have mine in a wet foam medium,which is easier to heat up to 85* 0n a heat mat,and am having good results with other types of palm seeds.

post-762-1234724465_thumb.jpg

Don Bryan

No luck here with mine yet either.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

In a PM Luke asked me if I would elaborate more on my Sabal Riverside. I thought I'd attach it to this old thread since there are a couple of pictures. As you can see from the pictures, the Sabal is being crowded by timber bamboo, but the palm was there before the bamboo, and it was planted around 1975 as a 3 gal. sized plant. It was planted in what was once my front lawn in full sun with no competition. The soil was amended clay.

The seeds that the palm grew from were given to me by the late Jim Specht from San Diego. His tree with the seeds had come from the original tree growing in Riverside, so I guess that makes mine 3rd generation. I have other Sabals which have a little competition from tall Oaks and from each other, but the S. Riverside has grown over 2 times as fast as the others. It has been blooming and producing seeds for years, and the thousands of cream colored flowers are very fragrant and attract hundreds of bees.

The palm has proven to be very cold hardy, but the foliage might have been damaged in the '89 freeze when the temp dropped to 14F (-10 C). It has been so long ago, I really don't remember, but there was no permanent damage to the tree. Oddly the seeds, or the fruit, is damaged when the temp. falls below 25F, but not the foliage on the tree. When exposed to low temps. the green fruit on the tree will shrivle and the seeds are no good. Since my winter temps. often fall to 25F or below, it is only every few years that the tree produces viable seeds. Even when the seeds are good, I've found them hard to germinate.

It is somewhat a mystery where S. Riverside originated or if it's a species, a hybrid, or a mutant, but the seeds do come true, and for me, at least, it's my favorite Sabal. This year, so far, my low has been 27F, so maybe I'll have some viable seeds this summer. It takes about a year for the seeds to mature. Once the fruit is remeoved from the seeds, they tend to shrivle, so the seeds should be soaked for several days and then they plump up.

Did any of the seeds that Patrik sent you have any luck with germination?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi Dick

Nice gesture of you and Patrick to distribute these seeds

Did you also supply the seeds of S."riverside" on the IPS Biennial in California(1998)?

All participants received a nice little packet of seeds, and I have a nice plant in my garden not seeding yet, unfortunately.

It is an interesting palm and by far the fastest of all the Sabal I have. but we will probably never know what it really is unless DNA resaerch can be done.

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Hi everyone.

Sorry your seeds aren't germinating. I share your frustration, though. Out of at least 50 seeds only one has germinated for me thus far. So, I wait with the rest of you to see what will happen...... :blink:

Oakley, California

Hi everyone.

Sorry your seeds aren't germinating. I share your frustration, though. Out of at least 50 seeds only one has germinated for me thus far. So, I wait with the rest of you to see what will happen...... :blink:

One is better than none :lol:

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Dear Friends :)

Not to worry about SRS seeds germination...the palm sapling seen above in my still,will be soon planted in the ground and when it puts out seeds i will send it free to the members who had participated in this thread... :mrlooney:

But on the down side you all will have to wait for few more years and i must tell you that the grouth rate of the SRS is bit frightening,since even our coryphas or CIDPs have not lifted up from the big barrels as this baby has done ! :hmm:

And the leaf tips or edges seem to drope a bit,looks nice too.. :huh:

Love,

By the way all my SRS seeds that i purschased from an online seeds company i got 98% germination.no fungus attack or damp-off i had distributed most of these palms to friends & socities..only just 2 or 3 are with me now and those which are in bottle has not grown at all..so what i realise here is that once they grow for big for their pots,they must be planted on the ground soon,or else they stop growing ! :blink:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

In a PM Luke asked me if I would elaborate more on my Sabal Riverside. I thought I'd attach it to this old thread since there are a couple of pictures. As you can see from the pictures, the Sabal is being crowded by timber bamboo, but the palm was there before the bamboo, and it was planted around 1975 as a 3 gal. sized plant. It was planted in what was once my front lawn in full sun with no competition. The soil was amended clay.

The seeds that the palm grew from were given to me by the late Jim Specht from San Diego. His tree with the seeds had come from the original tree growing in Riverside, so I guess that makes mine 3rd generation. I have other Sabals which have a little competition from tall Oaks and from each other, but the S. Riverside has grown over 2 times as fast as the others. It has been blooming and producing seeds for years, and the thousands of cream colored flowers are very fragrant and attract hundreds of bees.

The palm has proven to be very cold hardy, but the foliage might have been damaged in the '89 freeze when the temp dropped to 14F (-10 C). It has been so long ago, I really don't remember, but there was no permanent damage to the tree. Oddly the seeds, or the fruit, is damaged when the temp. falls below 25F, but not the foliage on the tree. When exposed to low temps. the green fruit on the tree will shrivle and the seeds are no good. Since my winter temps. often fall to 25F or below, it is only every few years that the tree produces viable seeds. Even when the seeds are good, I've found them hard to germinate.

It is somewhat a mystery where S. Riverside originated or if it's a species, a hybrid, or a mutant, but the seeds do come true, and for me, at least, it's my favorite Sabal. This year, so far, my low has been 27F, so maybe I'll have some viable seeds this summer. It takes about a year for the seeds to mature. Once the fruit is remeoved from the seeds, they tend to shrivle, so the seeds should be soaked for several days and then they plump up.

Did any of the seeds that Patrik sent you have any luck with germination?

Dick

This Sabal was bought at the same time as Dick's and planted about the same time here in Modesto by Dan Lara. I'm posting it here just to give those who like the "strap" look over the "strip" look. I think the one that Dick has looks better with the leaf bases removed, but anyway.....

post-376-1235511004_thumb.jpg

post-376-1235511011_thumb.jpg

post-376-1235511021_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Glenn,

Thanks for posting that picture. As I recall, I had 2 S. riverside plants and I gave one to Dan Lara. The pic you have posted is the sister to my S. riverside. They appear to be about the same size. There must be several S. Riversides floating around in S. Calif., but I never hear anything about them.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Glen, thanks for sharing this. Do you know if the seeds are difficult to germinate since its the sister palms of Dick's in Walnut Creek?

Luke

63" rain annually

Glen, thanks for sharing this. Do you know if the seeds are difficult to germinate since its the sister palms of Dick's in Walnut Creek?

Ive collected them, but have always given them away, never tried to germinate them myself. I should try this year.

Thing is, Sabals are so damn slow here. From the looks of these S. Riversides they obviously pick up the pace once they get going.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

If I could make a suggestion......?? I would highly recomend S. Riverside for climates that don't get to hot in the summer. For me, S. Riverside seems to be more tolerant of cooler temps. and grows faster than any of the others. They all grow more rapidly with summer heat, but if you live in a cooler climate and want that "sabal look," then try S. Riverside. To me, it is probably the most beautiful Sabal.

Another nice feature is that the old leaf bases are eaiser to remove than the others. I use a curved hand saw to remove the old bases, and they come off quite eaisly.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 1 month later...

A Sabal Riverside would look quite lovely in North Carolina. :rolleyes: We have hot summers and cold winters. If anyone wants to part with one or some seed, give me a holler.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

• 3 months later...