osideterry

Pics of Huge Sabals...

Kris

Gentlemen beautiful visuals...And dear glenn thanks for that corypha visual delight . :drool:

sarasota alex

Large Sabal causiarum at the Marie Selby Botanical Garden in Sarasota

post-3501-081694300 1287201114_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

sarasota alex

Another younger one

post-3501-015072700 1287201190_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

sarasota alex

Sabal yapa at Marie Selby's

post-3501-050522700 1287201257_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

basilios

Sabal causiarum in Havana, Cuba.

2008_0409Cuba30015.jpg

• Upvote 1

Stevetoad

I have to bump this one. I love huge fan palms!

iamjv

I'll double bump.... trying to collect as many big sabals as possible! Still trying to get the Sabal Guatamualensis seeds to germinate! They will be huge if ever get them to germinate!

monkeyranch

Probably time for this one's annual bump. One of my top 900 favorite threads of all time. Bummer that some of Eric's Leu Gardens photos drained out of the proverbially leaky Photobucket. Maybe when you have some spare time you could repost the missing ones or even updates? Thank you for all of your Leu and FL habitat photos.

Brahea Axel

Thanks for bumping this. I love big sabals, and I've planted quite a few this Spring, they're all growing much faster than I had anticipated. I still fail to understand why they are so poorly represented on the West Coast, especially the giants. They're such a perfect palm, much more complex and interesting than any washingtonia ever will be.

So far, i'm growing s. causiarum, s. domingensis, s. bermudana, s. riverside, s. uresana, s. pumos, s. rosei, s. mexicana, s. blackburiana and s. minor.

Sabal domingensis is definitely outpacing all of them so far.

My neighbor is from Florida and is not happy I am planting sabals. He claims his garden in Florida was infested with rats that nested at the top of all the palmettos.

_Keith

I like big palms and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a palm stands near with an itty bitty top
And a round trunk in your face
You get sprung
Wanna pull up tough
Cuz you notice that palm wasn't stuffed
Deep in the soil she's sitting
I'm hooked and I can't stop smitten
Oh, baby I wanna get with ya
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But that palm you got
Make Me so seedy
Ooh, rump of smooth bark
You say you wanna get in my park
Well use me use me cuz you aint that average groupy

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Brian Bruning

Rats are total opportunists. They will eat almost anything they don't find poisonous. They will sample strange new foods and if they don't get sick will eat more. They will nest anywhere they can find a suitable location depending on the species. River or 'black' rats make tunnels, roof rats live in trees, walls, under houses, under shrubbery wherever they can find a spot that is secure and dry. Wood rats are native and are unavoidable. I asked one biologist about this. He told me they count rodents in pounds per acre. Field mice, voles, rats of whatever specie and so on are there lving and eating what they like city, suburb and countryside. My neighbor had a crabapple tree and the rats loved that. We got rid of almost all them after a while but we had to put out poison, traps and so on. My cat is a tuff girl. She can catch and kill young rats. The adults are too strong and mean for her. She brings me 'presents' that she deposits on the front porch to show me. The owls in the neighbors big redwood tree I'm sure get a few too.

OC2Texaspalmlvr

What an awesome thread to dig up =) i bet by now alot of people on here have some home grown monster sized palms by now that i would love to see !!!

• Like 1

RJ
On 5/17/2019 at 7:21 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What an awesome thread to dig up =) i bet by now alot of people on here have some home grown monster sized palms by now that i would love to see !!!

Agree! Lets see some pics from the number one underrated palm ;)

OC2Texaspalmlvr
48 minutes ago, RJ said:

Agree! Lets see some pics from the number one underrated palm ;)

Indeed plus you literally can grow them in any climate =) 

• Like 1