IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pics of Huge Sabals...

osideterry

• 7 months later...

Sabal causiarum in Havana, Cuba.

2008_0409Cuba30015.jpg

• Upvote 1

Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece

Lat 37° 55' 33" N - Lon 23° 42' 34" E

Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

• 1 year later...

I have to bump this one. I love huge fan palms!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I'll double bump.... trying to collect as many big sabals as possible! Still trying to get the Sabal Guatamualensis seeds to germinate! They will be huge if ever get them to germinate!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 11 months later...

Probably time for this one's annual bump. One of my top 900 favorite threads of all time. Bummer that some of Eric's Leu Gardens photos drained out of the proverbially leaky Photobucket. Maybe when you have some spare time you could repost the missing ones or even updates? Thank you for all of your Leu and FL habitat photos.

Thanks for bumping this. I love big sabals, and I've planted quite a few this Spring, they're all growing much faster than I had anticipated. I still fail to understand why they are so poorly represented on the West Coast, especially the giants. They're such a perfect palm, much more complex and interesting than any washingtonia ever will be.

So far, i'm growing s. causiarum, s. domingensis, s. bermudana, s. riverside, s. uresana, s. pumos, s. rosei, s. mexicana, s. blackburiana and s. minor.

Sabal domingensis is definitely outpacing all of them so far.

My neighbor is from Florida and is not happy I am planting sabals. He claims his garden in Florida was infested with rats that nested at the top of all the palmettos.

I like big palms and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a palm stands near with an itty bitty top
And a round trunk in your face
You get sprung
Wanna pull up tough
Cuz you notice that palm wasn't stuffed
Deep in the soil she's sitting
I'm hooked and I can't stop smitten
Oh, baby I wanna get with ya
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But that palm you got
Make Me so seedy
Ooh, rump of smooth bark
You say you wanna get in my park
Well use me use me cuz you aint that average groupy

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 2 weeks later...

Rats are total opportunists. They will eat almost anything they don't find poisonous. They will sample strange new foods and if they don't get sick will eat more. They will nest anywhere they can find a suitable location depending on the species. River or 'black' rats make tunnels, roof rats live in trees, walls, under houses, under shrubbery wherever they can find a spot that is secure and dry. Wood rats are native and are unavoidable. I asked one biologist about this. He told me they count rodents in pounds per acre. Field mice, voles, rats of whatever specie and so on are there lving and eating what they like city, suburb and countryside. My neighbor had a crabapple tree and the rats loved that. We got rid of almost all them after a while but we had to put out poison, traps and so on. My cat is a tuff girl. She can catch and kill young rats. The adults are too strong and mean for her. She brings me 'presents' that she deposits on the front porch to show me. The owls in the neighbors big redwood tree I'm sure get a few too.

Brian Bruning

• 5 years later...

What an awesome thread to dig up =) i bet by now alot of people on here have some home grown monster sized palms by now that i would love to see !!!

• Like 1

T J 

• 3 months later...
On 5/17/2019 at 7:21 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What an awesome thread to dig up =) i bet by now alot of people on here have some home grown monster sized palms by now that i would love to see !!!

Agree! Lets see some pics from the number one underrated palm ;)

48 minutes ago, RJ said:

Agree! Lets see some pics from the number one underrated palm ;)

Indeed plus you literally can grow them in any climate =) 

• Like 1

T J