IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

October 2008 Weather Thread

_Keith

True to form, October in N. Calif. has been spectacular with unusually warm to hot daytime temps. Many days have been above 90F (32C), but most in the upper 80's. The night time low's have slowly crept below 50F (10C). This morning it's 48F (9C) which is typical for this time of the year. We have had no rain to measure since last Feb., but that is to change later this week with the first significant front from the north. Usually by the middle of Nov. we can expect our first light frost.

We have had an off shore flow all this past week which means warm toasty days. I was in San Francisco this past week and it was 90 F there, even warmer than Walnut Creek which is normally much warmer than San Francisco.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Undesirable temperature dip coming.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Mid thirtys with potential for frost on Tues and Wed up here in Gainesville.

This is happening earlier than I would like.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Yes....and this same dip has come at almost the same time for at least 3 years in a row that I can recall.

Im looking forward to it.....some brisk mornings will feel nice!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

So tonight is gonna get to 38 but breezy enough to not have frost.

This will be a good test. I just moved my seedlings out to full sun. I will leave them out in the open 38 degree low to weed out any cold weaklings.

Tomorrow night has same temps but with patchy frost predicted, so I will re-evaluate for tomorrow night.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

this cold is comming to soon. massive radiational cooling effect where temps drop fast the next few nights

forcast 35 tonight and 33 tommrow night from TWC

NOAA says 34 by morning and 32 wed morning

its 51 degrees at 10 pm.......nw winds at 12 mph dewpoint at 29 ouch......

we will see what happens.

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

It's 11:00pm here and amazing to look at the wundermap at Wunderground wundermap. This is a perfect moment to look at what can happen during intense, dry radiational cooling events. Temps have plummeted in rural areas of the deep south, far more than NOAA has predicted, but the local variations are absolutely wild. Right now my station is reporting 48 here in downtown Natchez, while the airport 6-8 miles to the northeast away from the MS river is at 39. It gets even colder as one moves northeastward toward Jackson. Other inland areas are already only a couple of degrees above freezing. Meanwhile most areas around New Orleans are low 50s but some spots on the north side of Pontchartrain are reporting 40F or so, while just nextdoor it is mid-50s. Same goes for the entire Gulf Coast from Sulfur, LA all the way to Jax. Variations of more than 10F right next to each other. The proliferation of high-quality personal weather stations and services such as wunderground really illustrate why the NOAA's widely-spaced, airport-based stations give a terribly inaccurate picture of the variations in temperature and climate across the U.S.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Reporting 46 at the Airport about 10 miles north of me, and reporting 46 on my home weather station. I am in a rural area, as is the ariport, so I suspect local cities are a couple of degrees warmer with a little more heat jungle affect.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Some thunderstorms about to hit me in a few minutes.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-1225185718_thumb.png

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Lucky you... Tyrone. All we got is HOT and HUMID, without the rain. Very dry up there at the moment, hopefully it will change soon towards the end of the week. Anyway, can't complain... the heat seemed to speed growth a little, even without the constant rain. I have to fertilise everything soon...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Reporting 46 at the Airport about 10 miles north of me, and reporting 46 on my home weather station. I am in a rural area, as is the ariport, so I suspect local cities are a couple of degrees warmer with a little more heat jungle affect.

56F at Albert Whitted at 5:53 this morning. Not so good here. If my analog thermom is correct, we touched 49! Which is only 3F more than what Keith observed in LA. It's too early for this. Methinks it portends a very bad winter.

We brought the cyrtostachys in last night and it's staying in here for the next 2 nights.

Larry, how is it up in Tarpon?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Hi Sunny,

Your concerns are justified. We had a similar low temperature in October 1989. Yes, the very same year that brought us the lovely December 1989 freeze.

By the way, forget the Albert Whitted reading as it's only representative of a very small area. It's as cold at my job off Tyrone Blvd this morning as it was at home.

Ray

AAAARRRGH! :badday:

I left the irrigation on by accident last night and it cycled this morning. The overhead misiting does an extreeeemly effiecient job at removing any solar gain from the pots and soil. At appox. 0720 my shadehouse thermometer reads 49.5F It should be about 8-9 degrees warmer than that based on weather.com and wunderground. BRRRR! My toes are blue.

:rant:

Got down to a chi-willy 37 here. The winds did not hold and there was a super light frost as well.

38 F last night, forecast for 32 F tonight with the potential for an all time low. I'll take an all time low in late October rather than one in Dec or Jan!

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

My weather station's low was 40.6F at 7:49am. Meanwhile at the airport it briefly dipped to 30F at 7:35am. Amazing differences. I did notice breezes fluttering the palm-fronds outside last night around midnight-1am, perhaps there was a little more wind here near the river. I'm guessing the winds were oddly variable (or nonexistent) and this no doubt had a lot to do with the wide variations in temperature all over the south/southeast. They're also saying here that tonight will be colder due to decoupling of winds with the high sitting right over us. Let's hope not! But I do agree with Jason that I'd rather have the record low temp come in October rather than January.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

They're calling for a low of 30F now. If this occurs it will break the all time low for October by 3 degrees.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Hi Sunny,

Your concerns are justified. We had a similar low temperature in October 1989. Yes, the very same year that brought us the lovely December 1989 freeze.

By the way, forget the Albert Whitted reading as it's only representative of a very small area. It's as cold at my job off Tyrone Blvd this morning as it was at home.

Ray

I sure hope this is not a harbinger of things to come. When I moved down here earlier this year, I had no idea that the end of October could get this cold! This is not supposed to happen until much later. My car read 50 degrees this moring.

Edited by Derekjp

Pinellas Park, Florida

I'm seeing a 43 low here in St. Pete for tonight. I am ill prepared for this. Everything is on it's own. I'm hoping for the best. My entire tropicals garden hates or may croak below 40. I am taking in the prettiness right now before the sun sets

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

All the best everyone in the northern hemisphere. Cold weather is still fresh in my mind.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Larry, how is it up in Tarpon?

Sunny-

It was 55F when I left for the airport at 515AM while the winds still had a N/NW component to them, but when I checked my station remotely later in the day, I see it dropped to 50F a few hours later as the winds shifted N/NE. That does it to me every time.

Larry 

Im wondering if well beat the record low of 45F tonight as measured at the Tampa AP? At 8PM, it had already dropped to 54F.

I think we also broke a record today for the lowest high temperature for the date as well. It looks like the official high only reached 64F at the Tampa AP. The old record was 67F.

Larry 

For the morning of Oct 28, it hit 49.5F/9.7C at 7:40 AM on my station, just a little warmer than the 48F that NOAA predicted. NOAA usually predicts my temps well - they should since the Ruskin office is only about 2 miles to the east northeast of here. They are predicting 43F for the morning of Oct. 29. I am thinking it will probably get that low. I am not really worried about what this particular cold event is going to do, I am worried about the ones that come later. This one is sucking a lot of latent heat from the Gulf of Mexico early in the season which might make for a rougher winter. Looking back at my station data from last year, the 40's are about 2 weeks earlier than last year. That being said, it is still early in the season so there are probably going to be plenty of warm days to recharge the gulf before the next big cold front - i hope.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

NWS has revised their numbers upward as winds will not go completely calm. I can't believe we are having this discussion before Halloween!!

Hi Sunny,

Ray

Ray, that's a scary thought - that a 1989 type pattern is setting up. I don't like the idea of this at all, but it sure feels like it, doesn't it - we've all been enjoying our warmer conditions and it's easy to forget those long cold winters in the 80's. Will this be the year that kicks us back down to zone 9, brrrr.... I just hope that, come spring, we won't all be here listing all the tropicals we lost.

Glad to read that the NWS is predicting a bit warmer tonight than originally forecast. But still, the cyrtie stays indoors (along with the albo & ambositrae seedlings and a few other favorites).

Ruskin - you raise a really good point, that the this front is sucking the warmth out of the gulf. The Venice buoy was only reading a SST of 74 this morning, that's very low for October.

St. Pete

Just saw this on the Discussion forum. Check out Osideterry's post "Freeze-Pruf"

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...mp;#entry250358

The article says this stuff could give plants an extra 2 to 9F degrees hardiness, that would make a big difference in marginal z10 areas like this. But if it sounds too good to be true..... ?

St. Pete

Currently Im in Eugene oregon. There are mostly windmill's around here, far and few between. Already had our first freeze, 26F a week ago. Been in the 50s for highs and 30s for lows.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

As usual here, October is a battle between cold and hot air masses. Last week one day was only 14c max, then two days ago it was 34c. Now it's cool again.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Something tells me lots of low temp records are being broken this morning!

Larry 

hey everyone.....

coldest so far here has been 39f this morning...... we're supposed to get to 35 here tomorrow night - this is still cold even for here, but I can't believe how far south this cold is dipping. I just got back from Key West yesterday and it was in the 60's when I left there - kinda weird.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

hey everyone.....

coldest so far here has been 39f this morning...... we're supposed to get to 35 here tomorrow night - this is still cold even for here, but I can't believe how far south this cold is dipping. I just got back from Key West yesterday and it was in the 60's when I left there - kinda weird.

This morning i've got my first frost, this morning the tempetures gets a few houres below zero, so the first frost was there. Ensete and more plants of that are still outside and has got no damage from the couple hours frost. The forecast is also the same for tomorrow morning and the morning after tomorrow. The tempeture can get's a couple hours below zero in the morning.. so that not too bad really for the exotics...But i hate the cold, good luck this weekend tempetures are rising again and not a change on frost anymore.

Robbin

Southwest

As usual here, October is a battle between cold and hot air masses. Last week one day was only 14c max, then two days ago it was 34c. Now it's cool again.

Same thing over here. Last week we were averaging over 30C for 5 days straight with a top of 36C, this week we're just making low twenties. Zig zag weather, up and down. We're back up to 28C on Sunday.

Best regards

Tyrone

According to my new accurate TWC thermometer :lol: I hit 42.6F here in coastal South Sarasota County last night.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

We got down to 35F this morning here in Northeast Atlanta. The past two days, the highs were only in the low 50's F (10-12C). I was in Michigan last week, and we are having similar weather down here to what we had up there last week. Oh well, that's Fall for ya.

We are supposed to get back to normal for the daytime highs by tomorrow (mid 60's F), but lows are still predicted in the upper 30's.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

We continue the palm growing season here, high 88 to 95 F for a high and high 50's to low 60's for the low over the last week with dewpoints in the mid 30's to mid 40's. Bismarckias, butias, phoenix, and sabals are opening another round of spears, and I planted out a hyphaene thebaica. It typically snaps cold sometime around thanksgiving here, but for now its sublime, it just doesnt get any better than this.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Morning of Oct 29 got down to 39.0F in my backyard...way too cold this early in the season. There was some frost on rooftops in my neighborhood, none on ground, plants, cars or anything else. Unfortunately, a have a feeling some of my V. arecina and Wodyetia that are planted near the house got some damage since they have a few fronds laying on the roof top. Nothing major, but frost damage in October?! come on... We are supposed to warm up nice for the foreseable future. We need a long warm spell so that my poor palms can put a couple new fronds on before the next real cold hits.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Nothing major, but frost damage in October?! come on...

I agree with you....that type of cold this early is nuts!

Larry