IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

October 2008 Weather Thread

_Keith

This should be a month of changes North and South. October is traditionally a very warm month here in Louisiana, but we have a cold front due in tonight and a cool start to the month with a low of 61 tonight and 56 tomorrow night. After a long hot summer, I have to say it feels good.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,You start to get some honest relief and those temperatures sound great.Here we probably do not get our legitimate first cool breeze until early December.It gets hard watching people at Football games wearing sweaters when you are still sweating.

That stated,it is not as bad as it sounds.When your Highs drop from 90's to mid to upper 80's and your lows move from 80 to 75 you actually feel it.That together with a noticeable drop in humidity and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

What you look for is what is looking

that together with a noticeable drop in humidity and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thats what I notice the most....when the dewpoints come down the air feels so much different. Even if the temp gets to summertime like levels, with the lower dewpoints, it stays quite comfortable.

Weve already had a little taste of fall last week....we had some days were the dewpoints actually dropped into the lower 60's. That, along with a nice breeze....and the air felt great!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

The "cooler" weather is nice as this means I have to water less.

It's typically a bit sad to see October and the subsequent end to the rainy season but this year, it ended about 6 or 7 weeks ago.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

The thing I notice the most is the definate change in the angle of the sun. Our shadows are getting stretched in the Northern Hemisphere. You guys downunder...you are getting taller by the day!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

that together with a noticeable drop in humidity and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thats what I notice the most....when the dewpoints come down the air feels so much different. Even if the temp gets to summertime like levels, with the lower dewpoints, it stays quite comfortable.

Weve already had a little taste of fall last week....we had some days were the dewpoints actually dropped into the lower 60's. That, along with a nice breeze....and the air felt great!

Yup 68-72F for the lows in the mornings, high 90's late afternoon highs, dewpoints in the 40's, very nice. The hot is over, the palms are still in optimal growing conditions(temp wise), and I can start thinking about yardwork in the mornings if I can get some time off. I might plant another round of small palms out of the shadehouse.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Well Sydney has been getting 30C plus days this week, and today a top of 35C. This is very warm for Sydney especially in October, considering all of last summer they only managed to reach 31C as a top.

Different story in the west. An extremely slow moving high is sitting off the west coast directing cool moist air over the area. It's cool to cold around 18-20C during the day, and single digits at night. In the afternoon we're getting strong sea breezes. To make matters worse, the high is a little too far north, so as it slowly moves through, we'll be getting cold nights, even this late in spring. The synoptic maps from day to day for the next few days look identical. Supposedly by Wed the high will be sort of east of us, directing warming air over us and a cooling trend to the SE of Oz. I hate this sort of weather pattern. I'm waiting for warmer weather so I can take some of my germinated seedlings off the heat and start acclimatising them outside. It's just way too cold now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's quiet outside now... but not for long... tonight we gonna get our first autemm possible storm... there is a change for high wind speeds (+100 km per hour) and some heave rains... it's like that has got ex tropical storm Laure for us...

The only good thing it's Laura is getting some higher tempetures with here... that will give the result that the tempetures next week can be 17-19C again :)

Robbin

Southwest

On the warm side here at 86 degrees and very dry. All of the plants are showing signs of water stress both from the lack of rain and also from the lower than normal humidity.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith, You can't win can you. Your plants are now water stressed after being flooded by a Hurricane a few weeks ago. Wouldn't it be nice if the weather just slowly transitioned from one event to the other, not chopping and changing from one extreme to the other. It wouldn't be so bad if it rained a bit every day, and let the sun shine by the afternoon a bit every day, with light winds. I hope all of your plants get through OK.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Keith, You can't win can you. Your plants are now water stressed after being flooded by a Hurricane a few weeks ago. Wouldn't it be nice if the weather just slowly transitioned from one event to the other, not chopping and changing from one extreme to the other. It wouldn't be so bad if it rained a bit every day, and let the sun shine by the afternoon a bit every day, with light winds. I hope all of your plants get through OK.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yes, that is the way it is here sometimes. Spring and fall droughts are the norm. This springs drought went through most of the summer. So that hurt.

But this has been the worst year overall for growing conditions I remember. We got 16 inches of rain within a 3 day period, just a few weeks ago, but really anything over a 2 or 3 inches just runs off anyway. It was dry before that and has been bone dry ever since.

Now, when I say water stressed, I mean the plants that are not well established, aka most of my plants.

And besides, I am a gardener. Got to complain about the weather unless it is perfect. :mrlooney:

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

The weather you are talking about sounds quite a bit like the weather here. This year there has been rain most of the time in the dry season. And, even in the rainy season most days have some sunshine. This year has been cooler than most for the equatorial summer. I have not seen one day where the temperature got up to 40 C. And, for the most part the daily highs have been around 32 C. We have had a few nasty thunder storms with some real heavy rain. The night time temperatures are always pretty much the same anyway, around 22 to 25 C.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don, your weather sounds great. It's not that nice here.

The E precatoria you sent me are coming up well now. They have beautiful red new growth the moment they come out the ground.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I am happy that the little trees are doing well. I am sure a lot of people would find the weather here too hot. But, at least the weather is something you don't have to be too concerned about as it mostly the same all year long.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

There have actually been a few coolish nights with temps in the 60s F the last week, but summer has made a return for awhile with highs in the mid to upper 80s and lows in the low to mid 70s. Chances of showers and storms through the next week. I don't mind though as it just gives the garden some more time to strengthen up before the first real cold fronts start to hit in November and December. I am actually looking forward to a little cool weather but I hope we can stay away from the freezing weather that we had in early January '08.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

The weather here is warming up nicely... 33C today. Winter seems like a long time ago already..yeeha!

UV has now got back to double digits...my wife found that out last week at the beach...sand lobster!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I received some very unusual, measurable October precipitation yesterday. The warmth continues.

We've had good weather here in the Atlanta area overall. Highs have been anywhere from 75-85F with comfortable humidity. We've had some cool nights. It got down into the mid 40's one night. Mostly we've had lows in the 50's though. No rain to speak of unfortunately though.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Was it just me or did it seem like one of the most hot and humid days of the year around here? It must have been near 90 degrees today. I swear, I never thought I would say this but I'm ready for some cooler weather.

Pinellas Park, Florida

Was it just me or did it seem like one of the most hot and humid days of the year around here? It must have been near 90 degrees today. I swear, I never thought I would say this but I'm ready for some cooler weather.

It was plenty hot and humid here, without a breath of wind in the late afternoon. Mosquitos drove me nuts. But, we have a cool front due in a couple of days. HIghs will remain 80+, but a couple of nights are due to get down to the mid 50s.

I am surprised no one from So Cal wrote about the rain on Saturday. I got 3/10 of an inch, a fine surprise. Rain is always welcome here. Otherwise we've been having very warm, bright days.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Well finally spring seems to have arrived and put its roots down. It's still a bit cool at night but it's warming. It's been bright and sunny the last couple of days, and low twenties, but right on the Oct 8 cue, when statistically the weather switches to "warm mode" it will be a balmy 26C. Yes!!!!!!!! Still it will be a bit up and down for a bit, but it has finally switched. I've just started repotting up my Hyophorbe indica's and all my different little Archo's.

It's a bit deceiving in early spring as far as UV levels can go. It may not rain for a while, and the weather may be cool, but the UV starts jumping up dramatically now. Palms in pots that you've left a bit on the dry side tend to burn easily. So I'm making sure everything is staying moist. Here comes the season for constantly fussing over ones potted collection and keeping them happy. But I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

More October rain!!!

Damn, got cold last two mornings, to the high 50's. Daytime highs are high 80's, very nice to sit out in. I was hoping for more heat, but it looks like the days are getting cooler. If this keeps up, soon( a few weeks?) the growing season will be over when the soil temps drop below 65F.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Well finally spring seems to have arrived and put its roots down.

I'd say! Its starting to warm up here now, although not quite as warm as you Aussie folks, eg a high of 26C the other day. But Winter is now behind us. Surprisingly it was said that this was the coldest winter in my city in 50 years, however, I didn't lose a single palm, only light burning on my P. roebelenii's. I actually thought it was quite mild. Maybe a sign of things to come? Hopefully. Now its full swing into re potting and planting. Hopefully it will be a good summer for palms!

Nelson, NEW ZEALAND

Sheltered micro-climate

Min -2C, Max 34C

Latitude 41 Degrees South

Warm temperate climate, with over 2500 hours of sunshine per year.

More October rain!!!

The rain has been nice, two days in a row. Yesterday the radar showed heavier rain over your street than mine, but at least I wasn't dry.

It has cooled off enough over here that I am back to no a/c whatsoever for the last 3 weeks. There were a couple of nights that I even used a comforter in addition to a sheet!

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Last warm days of the year around here, mid 80s during the day, low 50s at might. The coffee trees will be coming inside soon. No rain in the forecast, we had about a 1/4 inch last Fri/Sat, the first rain since February.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

October has been disappointing so far. It has been HOT!!! We had apparently 38 deg days when I was away and hardly any rain. There is scattered rain around, but not enough for the heat. Well, I guess that is why it is called the build up. At least the humidity is high!! I can't wait for these storms to arrive.

Tyrone,

Euterpe have sprouted for you?? I have to check mine. Just walked in this morning!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We had a lovely 27C today, 23C tomorrow, 26C on Friday, a bit of rain on the weekend around 20C, then 29C on Tuesday, and a wonderful 31C on Wed, then possibly a bit of rain again. I'm potting up like mad now.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's muggy and warm here in Augusta, GA, with a little light rain which we really need. Here are the latest stats:

Temp: 72F

Humidity: 91%

Dew Point: 69F

We've had some cooler nights, but none so cool that you wanted to be wearing a long-sleeved shirt. The thing that I don't like about October is that many plants just start to go down even if they are well watered. It's like they just get tired of growing and want to take a long rest. The Crinums are the worst about this. Not that I blame them after the hot summers here. The palms, however, will keep growing well into November and many of them grow all winter, albeit slowly.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

been DRY since tropical storm Fay dumped rain about a month or more ago, untilsterday when some moisture gave much needed rain well into the night.

been dumping rain all day today also. with a front that moving along

The 'socal weather' was nice but im glad to have back the humidity and moisture! :lol:

post-741-1223509183_thumb.jpg

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

That same cold front came through here yesterday, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo rain. Things are getting crispy crunchy around here. Arghhhhhhhhhh!

A typical October week in South Louisiana.

post-1207-1223601310_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Weather is mixed up here at the moment sort of like Cape Town weather. Sunny one hour, rain the next....Rain I love it, so far 3 thunderers this month....looking good. Temps are not that high but warm

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Here's the forecast for Perth. We reached 26C today, but still a bit cold at night until Tuesday. 32C on Wednesday and possible evening thunderstorms, which if they came would possibly push the evening temps up a bit. I'm so glad winter is now a long way behind us. Yes. :D

Forecast for Saturday

Fine day. Light S/SW winds, increasing in the afternoon.

Precis: Fine day.

City: Min 10 Max 21

Mandurah: Min 12 Max 20

UV Alert: 8:40 am to 3:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 9 [Very High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Sunday Morning shower or two. Min 11 Max 20

Monday Fine. Min 7 Max 22

Tuesday Fine. Sunny. Min 11 Max 28

Wednesday Fine. Min 14 Max 32

Thursday Fine. Partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 27

Friday Cloudy. Fine. Min 13 Max 24

Best regards

Tyrone

We finally got some rain here in North Atlanta. It was the first measurable rainfall in a month. Fortunately we got about 3" total on Oct 6, 7, and 8th. It rained all day on the 7th. That's just what the trees needed around here. Temperatures have been very comfortable during October so far. Highs 70-80F (21-27C); Lows 50-60F (10-16C).

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

We finally got some rain here in North Atlanta. It was the first measurable rainfall in a month. Fortunately we got about 3" total on Oct 6, 7, and 8th. It rained all day on the 7th. That's just what the trees needed around here. Temperatures have been very comfortable during October so far. Highs 70-80F (21-27C); Lows 50-60F (10-16C).

I envy you Steve. Nothing yet here. Got some in Baton Rouge and in Lafayette, but again it missed us on this very dry year.

Kept on missing out on the rain... Very patchy and localised this time of the year, but usually we still get a little bit. It has been at least 2 weeks now since the last storm. Hhmm.. so much for early wet!!

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Still great weather here... Today around the 19C with sun and blue sky's... tomorrow i can reach 21-22C with some sunshine... night tempetures are not bad either... so around the 11-13C. So it's still mild here...

Robbin

Southwest

Hot, dry and windy. Aside from the hot part, this is exactly what I don't want.