IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yet Another Dypsis Identification

joe_OC

Just picked this up and wanted to get a positive ID on it:

Close up of petioles

DSC_0032.jpg

Full palm shot

DSC_0033.jpg

It looks like Dypsis "Mealy Bug" to me, but am not sure...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Joe,

It does look like a small Dypsis mananjarensis to me. This is a very pretty palm as a juvinile when seen it in habitat. Mine in the yard now has leaves 6' tall and show's great coloring on the petioles.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Where did you pick it up? Dypsis mananjarensis just aren't 'around' anywhere.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Jeff - I thought of yours when I saw it. Gonna baby this thing until next Spring and put her in the ground.

Len - I picked it up from Clark. I spotted it under his huge Beccariophoenix. It did not seem that he was sure what it was. I took the chance and picked it up thinking that they were not an easy find.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

This is why I asked. It looked very familiar. I was there with Matt P and Gary a few weeks back. We thought it was a Kentiopsis Oliviformis.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I have a K. Oliviformis close to that size and it doesn't have nearly the same amount of "mealy bug". I guess I will find out as it grows.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Kentiopsis Oliviformis was just a guess. Just did not get the Dypsis mananjarensis feel when there. Trust me, had anyone in our group got the 'feel', you would not be posting that picture right now. :)

The mealy pattern can be even greater on the KO. Ex:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/184840/

Hopefully others register a guess a help you out. Good score regardless.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I don't think there is one way to distinguish it between D. mananjarensis and D. malcomberi at this point. Both have the same seed size and form a big heel when young. Both also may or may not get mealy markings when they are young. I think Clayton once mentioned they are "twins", I liked that term.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Len, interesting enough, Clark said that Gary thought it was "mealy bug"...hmmm I smell fish...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I do not want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I do not recall that. But I hear only 40% of what was said of anything. :)

Lets see what others say as I am curious as well.

Len, interesting enough, Clark said that Gary thought it was "mealy bug"...hmmm I smell fish...

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

My opinion is this is not Dypsis Manajarensis. Although there is a similar look to Manajarensis, I was with Len that something was just a little bit too different. Time will tell.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I think it has that look of Kentiopsis Oliviformis too. Any pictures of the whole plant or the top of the leafs.

Jeff Rood

You guys are the experts, so I will go with what you say...Especially since Len and Gary saw the same palm in person. Chalk it up to a lesson learned...not going to be purchasing from Clark again, that's for sure.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

You guys are the experts, so I will go with what you say...Especially since Len and Gary saw the same palm in person. Chalk it up to a lesson learned...not going to be purchasing from Clark again, that's for sure.

Joe showed me the palm today and I also thought possibly Kentiopsis Olivoformis. We looked at some of the mealy markings on my olivoformis and they looked similar. The thing that raised a red flag to me is that all the mealy's I have seen at that size or similar had tons of coloration and Joe's palm did not. Hopefully for Joe's sake it turns out to be something cool.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Any idea what this is?

Daryl

post-42-1222583419_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl I have a very similar plant. I got it as D. malcomberi .

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Saw that at Clarks, Joe.I thought it was the Kentiopsis.

Daryl, I'm with Len on that one. Looks great! (except for the extra scale :( )

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Looking at it again no more or less sober, it does look like a K. o. a tad bit shaded.

Its tricky for us Floridians to ID CA palms sometimes because of the "stretched out" look.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Any idea what this is?

Daryl

post-42-1222583419_thumb.jpg

This is what we all have in So Cal as Dypsis Malcomberi.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Dypsis malcomberi small plant.

untitled4.jpg

We seem to be once again going down the trail of misleading palm introduction names! Have always thought how strange it is that really and honestly ..it is only Madagascar palms that seems to provide the most passion, discussion and occasional controversy! For years so many palms seeds have come into almost every country in the world but it seems that only the Mad material is highly suspect.

Regarding the photos posted so far ...Joe's palm is not D. mananjarensis and may not be D. malcomberi either. This is only my opinion but based on much Mad experience and observation of hundreds of D. mananjarensis at all stages of growth. However I have never seen D. malcomberi in the wild as their habitat is in the far south east if the country. But...D. mananjarensis has also been recorded in that part of the country and it would be quite easy for indigenous collectors to mistake the adult trees and seeds! I, like many other palm fanatics, also bought seed labelled D. malcomberi a few years ago and lo and behold! ...some of them turned out to be the easily recognisable D. mananjarensis ...exactly the same as Daryl and Gary's pics.

The year before tho...I also got seedlings of palms labelled as D. malcomberi and they turned out to be something very different from the normal Mad big palms. They have a very long petiole and short group of pinnate leaflets. But are they D. malcomberi?!! Will post pics tomorrow of both species and look forward to comments.

Cheers from hot and sultry Cairns!

Bill.

• Upvote 1

Dypsis malcomberi small plant.

untitled4.jpg

We seem to be once again going down the trail of misleading palm introduction names! Have always thought how strange it is that really and honestly ..it is only Madagascar palms that seems to provide the most passion, discussion and occasional controversy! For years so many palms seeds have come into almost every country in the world but it seems that only the Mad material is highly suspect.

Regarding the photos posted so far ...Joe's palm is not D. mananjarensis and may not be D. malcomberi either. This is only my opinion but based on much Mad experience and observation of hundreds of D. mananjarensis at all stages of growth. However I have never seen D. malcomberi in the wild as their habitat is in the far south east if the country. But...D. mananjarensis has also been recorded in that part of the country and it would be quite easy for indigenous collectors to mistake the adult trees and seeds! I, like many other palm fanatics, also bought seed labelled D. malcomberi a few years ago and lo and behold! ...some of them turned out to be the easily recognisable D. mananjarensis ...exactly the same as Daryl and Gary's pics.

The year before tho...I also got seedlings of palms labelled as D. malcomberi and they turned out to be something very different from the normal Mad big palms. They have a very long petiole and short group of pinnate leaflets. But are they D. malcomberi?!! Will post pics tomorrow of both species and look forward to comments.

Cheers from hot and sultry Cairns!

Bill.

Ok...here are 3 pics. The first is of D. mananjarensis on the left and the putative D. malcomberi.

Second pic is a close-up of D. mananjarensis and the last is the leaflet arrangement of the said D. malcomberi. I am aware that many have the D. malcomberi as illustrated...so lets hear what you think! Cheers! Bill.

post-844-1222766600_thumb.jpg

post-844-1222766629_thumb.jpg

post-844-1222766652_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bill!

Hey, that "other" malcomberi looks very different. Are there any markings on the petiole or the base? It looks like I see a good sized heel?

Have they both bee in the same "light" situation?

Thanks for more mysteries!

BS Man

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

Here is a photo of what Jerry Anderson is growing as Malcomberi. It looks similar to yours just more compact from the sun. He told me he got the seeds several years back and once they got to one gallon size he thought they were Dypsis Pilulifera "Orange Crush". Once they matured he noticed the white tomentum and color on the petioles so now he thinks it may be the true malcomberi. I'll post a pic of one I bought from him that is about the size of yours later. Here's Jerry's plant.

P1010927.jpg

P1010929.jpg

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Let's see here, You spotted it, you thought you'd take a chance, you already have one, and the "experts" even can't agree 100% on it! No need to blame anyone but yourself, you still got a great palm. :hmm:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Let's see here, You spotted it, you thought you'd take a chance, you already have one, and the "experts" even can't agree 100% on it! No need to blame anyone but yourself, you still got a great palm. :hmm:

I am not blaming Clark that I bought the palm... That was a chance I was taking. The part that ERCKed me about Clark was that if he did not know, that is fine...but, he did not have to add that Gary Levine thought it was a mealy bug as well. I should have known better that if Gary thought it was a mealy bug, Gary would have snatched it up. A more reputable seller would have just left it at that, that he did not know...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here is a picture of my true Dypsis Manajarensis in a 15 gallon container. The markings are very distinctive as are the leaf arrangement.

Gary

DSC_2303.jpg

Base of plant

DSC_2302-1.jpg

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary - Great pic!

Yes, I had forgotten that the "mealy bugs" are much longer. Of course Gary would not say that the palm I got I got was not a mealy bug...he has one at home to compare it to...not even close.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Is this Braden or Bob replying? Hard to tell anymore with a "2 for 1" name.

That's a purdy one Gary. Is it going in the ground next Spring? You have to keep up with Bill now.

Yes Shon, it has rooted out in the 15 gallon so it is ready to go in the ground, I already have the spot picked out for it.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Is this Braden or Bob replying? Hard to tell anymore with a "2 for 1" name.

Pretty sure it is Bob as he was on his way to visit Clark while I was there...at least that was what Clark told me at the time...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Bob, I don't know why you are defending Clark when you were not involved? I have not heard from Clark to offer me a refund or exchange for another palm. He hasn't contested what he said. Your own son, Braden, has issues with Clark. I don't know about you, but in my book, when someone LIES to me to influence my decision to purchase something from them, they are no longer reputable. Both Gary and Len looked at the exact palm I purchased and concurred that it was a K. Oliviformis. I am sure that Clark was involved in that conversation, why would Clark say that Gary thought it was a "mealy bug" unless he was lying?

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Objection! Hear say, your honor! Move to strike!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Bob,

I don't know where all of this hostility is coming from. I think Clark is a big boy and can take care of himself. I have no issues with you...why are you trying to create something when there is nothing?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24