IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

OCTOBER THREAD.. How's it going....

BobbyinNY

Latest 5 Day for Orlando.  Bundle up you FL guys...

High: 92°Low: 71°  Sun

High: 76°Low: 51°   Mon

High: 69°Low: 48°   Tue

High: 75°Low: 57°   Wed

High: 80°Low: 66°  Thur

(syersj @ Oct. 22 2006,15:26)

Bundle up you FL guys...

Did you see the North FL numbers......looks like upper 30's ???

But, none of this is is of any consequence as what will matter are the absolute lows in Dec/Jan.......

We saw this same behavior late last October (dropped into the upper 40's) and then didnt see another sub 50F night until late November.  And, the absolute lows for the winter stayed 10b for many areas which are normally 10a (like the Tampa AP).

Ill take another year like last year anyday as I was but 0.7F shy of 10b and that is several degrees above normal for my area.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

And the forecast deteriorates........

Now they're only predicting a high of 71 for Tuesday - and an overnight low of (brrrr) 54.  Wednesday rebounds with an overnight low of 63.  The weekend forecast is down to around 80 - which will be great for gardening!

What's weird is - tonight's low is forecast to be 73F.  But tomorrow's high is 78.  Only a 5 degree change?  Hm.

Just got back from the CLW Jazz Holiday, and for the first time since we've been going to it, I didn't need a sweater/jacket/long pants after the sun had set.  Still felt quite warm in spite of shorts and lightweight T.

Our place sure had a zone 10b winter last year (and 11 the year before!) - but what will this winter bring?  Is it time to start working on the palm socks   ???

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

The NOAA site has the following prediction for the coming winter (underscoring is mine):

NOAA ISSUES U.S. WINTER UPDATE; December, January, February Seasonal Forecast Still On Course — Meteorologists at the NOAA Climate Prediction Center released the latest seasonal outlook, which reiterates this winter is likely to be warmer than the 30-year norm (1971-2000) over much of the nation, yet cooler than last year's very warm winter season. NOAA's heating degree day forecast for December, January and February projects a two percent warmer winter than the 30-year average but about eight percent cooler than last year.  Meanwhile, a strengthening El Niño event continues to develop in the equatorial Pacific.

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 22 2006,22:48)

Our place sure had a zone 10b winter last year (and 11 the year before!) - but what will this winter bring?  Is it time to start working on the palm socks   ???

No palm socks this year Sunny!  

This is my Christmas wish :D

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 22 2006,22:48)

And the forecast deteriorates........

Now they're only predicting a high of 71 for Tuesday - and an overnight low of (brrrr) 54.  

Up here in the North Pinellas "tundra" (aka zipcode 34689), NWS says 53F tomorrow night and 50F Tuesday night!

Larry 

I can't believe those temps for Northern Florida - Mid 30's in OCTOBER??... That's lower than here. We're still in the high 40's at night now but this next  cold front might drop us to around 40 by Tuesday - It's all about that Jet Stream.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Our place sure had a zone 10b winter last year (and 11 the year before!) - but what will this winter bring?

I also thought 2004/2005 seemed like a warm winter.  But, a few weeks ago I looked up 2004/2005 winter lows and it was actually colder than 2005/2006?!?!?  It sure doesnt seem like thats how it was, but in 2004/2005 Albert Whitted AP dropped to 37F, but only 46F this past winter.  So, that means in 2004/2005 all the rest of us were lower as that station always trumps everywhere else in Pinellas :angry:  Its almost enough to make one get 9 or 10 jobs and pony up a million bucks to move to the Old NorthEast section of town  :D

Is it time to start working on the palm socks   ???

Again...no socks this year!

Larry 

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 22 2006,23:02)

I can't believe those temps for Northern Florida - Mid 30's in OCTOBER??... That's lower than here. We're still in the high 40's at night now but this next  cold front might drop us to around 40 by Tuesday - It's all about that Jet Stream.

Its also all about the averages.  Things always even out.  

But, I really dislike the abrupt changes in temperature.  Going from 70-75F mornings to a, perhaps 45-50F one is a little shocking in such a short period!

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 22 2006,23:09)

that station always trumps everywhere else in Pinellas :angry:  Its almost enough to make one get 9 or 10 jobs and pony up a million bucks to move to the Old NorthEast section of town  :D

Or you could get 3 or 4 jobs and move to Lealman! :D

Again...no socks this year!

My Spindle is happy to hear it :cool:

St. Pete

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 22 2006,23:12)

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 22 2006,23:02)

But, I really dislike the abrupt changes in temperature.  Going from 70-75F mornings to a, perhaps 45-50F one is a little shocking in such a short period!

It's also 20-25F below average.  You don't see that too often.

We've made it past the freeze date of the past 2 years without hitting the 30's yet in the Kirkland/Seattle area.  I keep hoping it will last a couple more months!

This morning in Kirkland:

post-3-1161574830_thumb.jpg

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 22 2006,23:26)

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 22 2006,23:09)

that station always trumps everywhere else in Pinellas :angry:  Its almost enough to make one get 9 or 10 jobs and pony up a million bucks to move to the Old NorthEast section of town  :D

Or you could get 3 or 4 jobs and move to Lealman! :D

Or...just keep the one I have (which was purchased when things were cheap in 1999) and stay here!

Larry 

(Diane Kirkland @ Oct. 22 2006,23:40)

We've made it past the freeze date of the past 2 years without hitting the 30's yet in the Kirkland/Seattle area.  I keep hoping it will last a couple more months!

This morning in Kirkland:

Nice shoot Diane  :D

Golden leaves are hard to come by down here.

Still hot today but the week will cool down nicely with more humidity   :;):

LA : 92/63  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Oct. 23 2006,00:04)

Still hot today but the week will cool down nicely with more humidity   :;):

We are going in reverse of that Happ!

The week will cool down nicely with less humidity!

We may very well have a morning low on Tuesday that is 25F less than that seen this morning ???

Larry 

Thanks, Happ -- it's a good year for leaf color in the Seattle area.  This is from yesterday afternoon; no color added to the photo.  

I have a friend in your area I talk to every day, so she keeps me up on the local temps.  Pretty soon, I'll be envious when it's dark and wet here.

post-3-1161583540_thumb.jpg

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

We are forecast a couple of nights down to 6°C/43°F this week, having been 11-16°C/52-61°F up to now, although it is supposed to be back up to those temperatures by the weekend.  The difference is that the 6°C/43°F is our normal average.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Larry,

this brings up an interesting topic. Is going from a relative Summer-like Temp (75f) to a Fall-like (45-50f) temp do more damage to a plant then if it was to drop in like a 5f increment over a couple weeks?... Is "hardening off" a myth or is it real?....

Thanks, Happ -- it's a good year for leaf color in the Seattle area.  This is from yesterday afternoon; no color added to the photo.  

Diane,

nice foliage.. Ours is just starting to turn now.. We should be there in a couple weeks.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 23 2006,09:57)

Larry,

this brings up an interesting topic. Is going from a relative Summer-like Temp (75f) to a Fall-like (45-50f) temp do more damage to a plant then if it was to drop in like a 5f increment over a couple weeks?...

I dont think a drop to 45-50F from the low 90's here over the weekend will cause any issues at all.  No doubt, many more tropical palms/plants will stall, but they wont be harmed.

But, a drop from highs in the 80's to lows in the 20's within a few days time (like happened in the 80's) might present a serious problem  ???

Larry 

Bobby, the thang about the Pacific Northwest is that we're as excited about a sky that blue as we are about leaf color!   :)

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Bobby, the thang about the Pacific Northwest is that we're as excited about a sky that blue as we are about leaf color!    

Yeah, I hear ya Diane.... you guys stay pretty cloudy most of the time I hear.   I have a friend in Seattle who told me it could rain with complete overcast for 2 weeks in a row.... I couldn't believe it.   We've had complete overcast that lasts like 4-5 days at a time, but it's rare.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby, it can rain in Seattle for 2 MONTHS in a row AND only drop a couple inches of moisture!  That's the main reason I like bright colors and the tropical look in the garden.  We have enough gray.  Unless a blossom is tropical, it doesn't get to stay if it's white.

Does your Seattle friend garden?

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Diane,

Nice street picture.  I used to go to Seattle quite a bit many years ago and you are right about the gray skies.  One of the good things about central Montana where I was raised is the amount of sunny days.  The bad part being the temperatures on some of those sunny days below zero and the wind.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

This Autumn has been very cloudy and quite wet here and whilst I like to see a blue sky, at least it is keeping the temperatures up.  Last winter we had a lot of blue sky and relatively good light levels, but we paid the price with low temperatures.  I think I actually prefer the warmer, cloudy scenario.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Don, I haven't been reading all of the board and I've missed seeing your photos.  I hope you can post an October on the Amazon picture in this thread!  

Montana is certainly beautiful.  The low temps would kill me plant-wise though.  And I have something in me that needs to be near salt water.  It just feels right.

Corey, I've been enjoying the sun lately but this morning my mother told me they almost had frost in Gig Harbor (about 60 miles south of me on Puget Sound).  So now I'm with you -- sun during the day would be nice but cloud cover at night, please.  My garden is the best it's ever been and I want it to last just a little longer before hibernation.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Corey, I've been enjoying the sun lately but this morning my mother told me they almost had frost in Gig Harbor (about 60 miles south of me on Puget Sound).  So now I'm with you -- sun during the day would be nice but cloud cover at night, please.  My garden is the best it's ever been and I want it to last just a little longer before hibernation.

We must all be a bunch of nuts.... I feel the same way.... When I complain that it's cold, people just tell me.. "Hey, but at least it's dry and Crisp".. I tell them I'd rather have a little overcast and humidity and they look at me like I have 3 heads...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Tonight's forecast -A real frosty one at that...

post-57-1161630687_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(amazondk @ Oct. 23 2006,12:40)

Diane,

Nice street picture.  I used to go to Seattle quite a bit many years ago and you are right about the gray skies.  One of the good things about central Montana where I was raised is the amount of sunny days.  The bad part being the temperatures on some of those sunny days below zero and the wind.  

dk

What, you didn't like the wind in Great Falls??  The constant wind around there was one thing that drove me nuts.  If you had a chinook day, gauranteed the wind was blowing 20-40mph.  I remember having windy days blowing 60-70mph and the traffic lights would be blown literally sideways, but thankfully those days weren't too often.

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 23 2006,15:11)

Tonight's forecast -A real frosty one at that...

I am anticipating a run at the 40's in my little patch ???

Not sure if well get there, but it might be dang close!

The air is very cooland dry now (dewpoints in the 45-46F range and air temps only in the middle 70's), so there is a lot of room for cooling off tonight.  I never like to see those big spreads between temp and dewpoint as it almost invariably means that after sundown temps are going to fall rather quickly.  Winds are also out of the north and rather brisk.

But, all of this is neither here nor there as we are only talking temps of around 50F!  If we were talking something 20F or so less, wed all be sweating bullets :D

Larry 

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 23 2006,13:48)

I tell them I'd rather have a little overcast and humidity and they look at me like I have 3 heads...

No doubt.

On winter nights, there no better friend than dense cloud cover (besides perhaps a whole yard full of propane heaters).

But, clouds are free :D

Larry 

Diane,

Here you have the latest picture, 3:41 PM, Oct. 23, looking up from behind my house in Manaus.  It sure does not look like Montana.

BackyardOct21.jpg

Here are the current conditions.  I do not think it hit forecast high, but it is real hot at any rate.

OCt.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

stop that...you're killing me..lol... I WISH it was like that here right now....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

It's gonna be a cold one in Hotlanta tonight.  I had a little frost on my windshield this morning.  We're supposed to get down to 33F (.5C) for the next two mornings.  Then there may be temps in the mid to high 30's for the weekend.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Bobby,

I guess someone has to suffer through this tough life in the tropics.  Maybe the picture can warm you up a bit.  My partner just left for Miami this afternoon, and he did not take along any warm clothes at all.  I am sure he will feel the difference when he gets there tonight.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Bobby,

I guess someone has to suffer through this tough life in the tropics.  Maybe the picture can warm you up a bit.  My partner just left for Miami this afternoon, and he did not take along any warm clothes at all.  I am sure he will feel the difference when he gets there tonight.

dk

Yeah, but Miami is nothing compared to what those guys up in North Florida will feel tonight - or in places like Atlanta where it's supposed to get down in the lower 30's....  Our low tonight is around 40-42 and that's cold enough... BRRRRRRR...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby: Anytime you and your better half are down this way, let me know. You are both welcome to drop by. But if you do, be prepared to submit to a tour of my property! I will also give you a complementary Sabal etonia palm (one gallon size) that I grew from seed from my palms.

Entryway to Walt's Palms and Tropicals:

2447146850042496162dGYtur_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Mad about palms

Bobby,

From what I can see it will get a little cold further up the state for sure. I used to load planes at MIA, quite a few years ago now, and I can remember very well how cold it felt many times at six AM on the ramp waiting for the plane from LAX to pull up.  When you live in a climate like the one here you get mentally unprepared for cooler weather and any change is quite noticable.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

HaHa.  Only those who truly live deep in the tropics can think that Miami gets cold, and place that never gets (or basically never) any freezes or frosts whatsoever.

Jim,

You have a point.  For me anymore anywhere that requires wearing more than a shirt to stay comfortable is cold next what it is like around here.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg