IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

OCTOBER THREAD.. How's it going....

BobbyinNY

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 17 2006,14:18)

Your right, Ft lauderdale and Miami-Dade do stay warmer than TX.  I stayed with relatives in both Homestead and Okeechobee FL when I lived in FL, so I am well aware of what S. FL is like.  But Deep S. TX stays a lot warmer than most people think, bottoming out at around 34 or 35F, kinda like Tampa or Orlando.  North and Central Texas can and do get VERY cold (teens and 20s), but "normally" that doesn't apply to South Texas (except for those rare freezes that we have all heard about).

Jim

ahhh... ok, Jim.. that makes more sense to me now.. So south Texas is alot more like Central FL (Orlando, Tampa)

Exactly, Not nearly as warm as Miami, but almost identical to Tampa.

Yeah Bobby, how is that trachy getting acclimated.  Is it still putting out a bunch of new fronds.  I think it will do fine

This year won't be a really good test becuase, right now it's covered by a 15x15 biosphere that I just put up in that area to winter over all my tropicals... I figured I'll protect it along with all the other stuff this winter and let it develop a really good root system, then let it deal with the elements next year.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Wow, Bobby, haven't heard from you in a while! I supposed you must be preparing your tropicals for the winter 'hurricane'. I hope you don't lose a single one. Would love to see photos!

Right now feels like summer with the humidity and high 80s. I'm getting ready for the third time to place all potted baby palms where they can survive for a week on their own as I'm going back to Colombia. :)

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

(syersj @ Oct. 17 2006,09:54)

Happ,

First of all, the 1990 USDA map you are referring to is based on 12 years of data, and even then is on the border of 10a.

I have attached the 56 years worth of data - 56 year avg min low for Brownsville is 33.6F

This is far more reliable than 12 years worth of data that includes some of the 80s cold snaps.

http://www.srcc.lsu.edu/southernClimate/atlas/

If some of our valley members are on here they can verify the valley is zone 10.

Also, according to the arbor day zone map they are zone 10.

http://www.arborday.org/media/zones.cfm

"The lowest temperature ever recorded in McAllen is 17 °F, on January 12th, 1962, which is far lower than would be expected at the same latitude in Florida or on the west coast of North America, due to its location in the middle of the continent."

This is actually a true statement, because they are on the same latitude with South Florida.  I stated they are equal climate wise with Central Florida which is 100% correct.  Tampa and Orlando for example has almost the exact same record cold temperatures.

All time Record Lows:

Tampa 18F

Orlando 19F

Brownsville 15F

SPI 17F

The Galveston snowfalls and freezes are irrelevant to the valley because that was 500 miles up the Texas coast.  That would be like showing a weather pattern from San Francisco and equating it to San Diego.

Also from one of the websites you posted:

Feb. average temperature of 61.1o F. is warmer than San Diego, California (57.8o F.), Tampa, Florida (60.7o F.), and Orlando, Florida (60.5o F.) (Climate Prediction Center).   Extreme South Texas, thus, has the warmest winter weather in the continental United States west of South Florida.  What the data do not show are the  occasional blasts of  cA (continental Arctic) air masses.  The strong and very dry northwest winds wreak havoc with leafy tropical vegetation such as bananas.  Although classified as USDA climate zone 9B (winter lows between 25o-30o F.), it is very rare to have temperatures below 30o F. When these do occur, about once every five years, it is the result of a massive Arctic invasion which drives freezing temperatures as far south as Miami in Florida.  These freezes are devastating in the Lower Rio Grande Valley.

Happ, I think we're splitting hairs, but the bottom line is the Valley is a Zone 10 with rare freezes (once every 5-10 years, and even rarer severe freezes.  It is equal with Central Florida, even though it is on the same latitude with South Florida.

Jim

Thanks for the thorough response.  And I agree with you about the USDA, a work in progress.   :;):   Yesterday Europe launched a terrific satellite that will greatly improve the identity/subtleties of macro & micro-climates.

Primary reason I went into tropical gardening was the discovery of frost-free [uSDA 11] at 33N latitude.  No similarity to Key West/Hawaiian upper foothills other than probability of frost.  A much slower growing season but 365 days none-the-less.  

Extreme south Texas is 99% subtropical.  That one-in-6- year event a costly aberration.  Phoenix/Sonoran desert is probably warmer overall than Rio Grande.  Be interesting comparing cooling degree days.

Texas, in general is warmer than most of the nation.  Once experienced a thunderstorm in San Antonio with huge raindrops; sweet  :cool:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Bobby,

Why you gonna protect your trachycarpus ? Here in the Netherlands more and more people are planting Trachycarpus fortunei and now beginning to plant a wagnerianus.

I don't give my trachycarpus protection at all, also i haven't do thath the first year when i have planted them.

The picture is from the winter 2004/2005, last winter we don't have got snow  :P

post-171-1161156644_thumb.jpg

Southwest

Last night was very mild, i recorded 12.9C/55.2F ... Today it's gray and sometime we have a very little rain then :(

Southwest

Bobby,

Why you gonna protect your trachycarpus ? Here in the Netherlands more and more people are planting Trachycarpus fortunei and now beginning to plant a wagnerianus.

I don't give my trachycarpus protection at all, also i haven't do thath the first year when i have planted them.

The picture is from the winter 2004/2005, last winter we don't have got snow  

Robbin,

I'm only protecting it because it's planted right in the middle of where my greenhouse had to go - otherwise I would've just let it weather out the elements...

Nice weather here today 75f, down to about 60f at night.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(happ @ Oct. 18 2006,00:48)

(syersj @ Oct. 17 2006,09:54)

Happ,

First of all, the 1990 USDA map you are referring to is based on 12 years of data, and even then is on the border of 10a.

I have attached the 56 years worth of data - 56 year avg min low for Brownsville is 33.6F

This is far more reliable than 12 years worth of data that includes some of the 80s cold snaps.

http://www.srcc.lsu.edu/southernClimate/atlas/

If some of our valley members are on here they can verify the valley is zone 10.

Also, according to the arbor day zone map they are zone 10.

http://www.arborday.org/media/zones.cfm

"The lowest temperature ever recorded in McAllen is 17 °F, on January 12th, 1962, which is far lower than would be expected at the same latitude in Florida or on the west coast of North America, due to its location in the middle of the continent."

This is actually a true statement, because they are on the same latitude with South Florida.  I stated they are equal climate wise with Central Florida which is 100% correct.  Tampa and Orlando for example has almost the exact same record cold temperatures.

All time Record Lows:

Tampa 18F

Orlando 19F

Brownsville 15F

SPI 17F

The Galveston snowfalls and freezes are irrelevant to the valley because that was 500 miles up the Texas coast.  That would be like showing a weather pattern from San Francisco and equating it to San Diego.

Also from one of the websites you posted:

Feb. average temperature of 61.1o F. is warmer than San Diego, California (57.8o F.), Tampa, Florida (60.7o F.), and Orlando, Florida (60.5o F.) (Climate Prediction Center).   Extreme South Texas, thus, has the warmest winter weather in the continental United States west of South Florida.  What the data do not show are the  occasional blasts of  cA (continental Arctic) air masses.  The strong and very dry northwest winds wreak havoc with leafy tropical vegetation such as bananas.  Although classified as USDA climate zone 9B (winter lows between 25o-30o F.), it is very rare to have temperatures below 30o F. When these do occur, about once every five years, it is the result of a massive Arctic invasion which drives freezing temperatures as far south as Miami in Florida.  These freezes are devastating in the Lower Rio Grande Valley.

Happ, I think we're splitting hairs, but the bottom line is the Valley is a Zone 10 with rare freezes (once every 5-10 years, and even rarer severe freezes.  It is equal with Central Florida, even though it is on the same latitude with South Florida.

Jim

Thanks for the thorough response.  And I agree with you about the USDA, a work in progress.   :;):   Yesterday Europe launched a terrific satellite that will greatly improve the identity/subtleties of macro & micro-climates.

Primary reason I went into tropical gardening was the discovery of frost-free [uSDA 11] at 33N latitude.  No similarity to Key West/Hawaiian upper foothills other than probability of frost.  A much slower growing season but 365 days none-the-less.  

Extreme south Texas is 99% subtropical.  That one-in-6- year event a costly aberration.  Phoenix/Sonoran desert is probably warmer overall than Rio Grande.  Be interesting comparing cooling degree days.

Texas, in general is warmer than most of the nation.  Once experienced a thunderstorm in San Antonio with huge raindrops; sweet  :cool:

Your right, I know full well that Deep S. Texas can have those aberrations of cold outbreaks that do severe damage to the citrus and palm industry in S. Texas.  Ask those who went through the 80s snaps.  They had to cut down tons of ornamental palms.  Of course since then they have exploded again as people have forgotten about those cold snaps.  Of course this could and does happen in central FL once in a while, it seems only S. Fl is truly immune.  I still like the climate here, TONS of heat in summer and relatively warm winter weather.  The cold fronts are usually more refreshing than bitter cold.

We're supposed to have a couple good days here.  Today and tomorrow are both predicted to get up to 81F (27C).  Lows are going to be around 60F (15-16C).

Next Monday and Tuesday Weather.com is predicting lows of 38F (3C) and 36 (2C).  Thiose are averages for late November here.  I hope we're not in for a rough winter.  

I'm going to enjoy these next couple days to the fullest.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Next Monday and Tuesday Weather.com is predicting lows of 38F (3C) and 36 (2C).  Thiose are averages for late November here.  I hope we're not in for a rough winter.  

It's really interesting steve that your averages are about the same as us and you're so much farther south..... It's amazing how the ocean influences temperature.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(happ @ Oct. 18 2006,00:48)

[Extreme south Texas is 99% subtropical.  That one-in-6- year event a costly aberration.  Phoenix/Sonoran desert is probably warmer overall than Rio Grande.  Be interesting comparing cooling degree days.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/

Here is a comparison of heating and cooling Degree Days of selected cities.

Brownsville TX has fewer HDD than Tampa and Orlando, and FAR fewer than Phoenix, LA, or SD.  So by this measure (HDD averages) Deep S. TX is warmer in winter than any other location in the continental US outside of South Florida.  Brownsville also has basically the same amount of CDD as Phoenix and Miami (around 4,000) and more than any other city in the US outside of those 2.

Interesting note is that SF Cal only averages 145 CDD per year.  Not nearly enough heat in my liking.  

Interesting Note #2: LV Nev gets over 2400 HDD in winter.  I though they were warmer than that with the palmy landscape, but I guess they get their fare share of cool weather.

Texas:             HDD           CDD

Brownsville      635          3888

Corpus C.        1016        3439

San Antonio    1644         2996

Houston          1599         2700  

Florida:

Tampa              725         3427

Orlando            686         3381

Miami                200         4198

Jax                   1434        2551

Ariz

Phoenix            1350       4162

Tuscon             1678        2954

Cal

LA                    1458        727  

SD                    1256        984

SF                    3016        145

Nev:

LV                    2407        3201

It's really interesting steve that your averages are about the same as us and you're so much farther south..... It's amazing how the ocean influences temperature.

Bobby,

I just looked up our locations on weather.com.  Our September through December average lows are almost identical.  They are all within 1 degree.  January through March are the only months that we stay significantly warmer.  Those are the scary months for me too though as far as my outdoor palm, because our inland climate can alway bring crazy cold snaps.  You being near the ocean definately plays a big factor in dampering the effect of the brutal cold.

Here's the comparison between Auburn, GA and Long Island City, NY.

http://www.weather.com/outlook....locid2=

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Well, I knew this would happen, but I was not sure how to prepare for it.

I live at the bottom of a mountian pass, and last night we had 50+ MPH wind gusts. Everything that was not in a 15gallon container was knocked over. One of my large Rivularis - which was on the list to be repotted was rolling around - poor Rivy.

A banana which grew so fast that I was shocked at how tall it became was knocked over with broken leaves.

The amount of debris - leaves and branches etc. is incredible. The thing is this was just the first night. This is going to be a winter long thing.

I was going to have nice pebble walk ways and everything as I've been working on this yard most of the year - trying to reclaim it from decades of barren landscape.

Maybe I should just spread bark mulch and be done with it :(

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Bobby,

I just looked up our locations on weather.com.  Our September through December average lows are almost identical.  They are all within 1 degree.  January through March are the only months that we stay significantly warmer.  Those are the scary months for me too though as far as my outdoor palm, because our inland climate can alway bring crazy cold snaps.  You being near the ocean definately plays a big factor in dampering the effect of the brutal cold.

wow, Steve... that's pretty interesting...... It's true that it's almost identical for the lows with the exception of Jan/Feb/Mar. Your daytime highs are a good 10f  higher in the winter which gives marginal plants a significant advantage....    What was surprising is that our summer lows are higher than yours by a few degrees..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I know I sound stupid...but, remember, I'm so new at this stuff! What are heating and cooling degree days???

jen,

those are the amount of days that you either need to use an A/C or a heater to compensate for a comforatble temperature inside your house

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(SoLando @ Oct. 18 2006,14:21)

I know I sound stupid...but, remember, I'm so new at this stuff! What are heating and cooling degree days???

Heating/cooling degree days are the number of degrees above or below 65F that your daily temp averages.  They consider a day where it has averaged 65F to be the perfect day - no need for heating or A/C.  For example, if your high was 75F and your low was 55F, then your average temp is 65F and you had no heating or cooling degree days.

Now let's say your high was 75 but your low was 35F, your average temp was 55F, so on that particular day you had 10 heating degree days.  Or another example is your high is 90 and your low is 70, avg temp is 80F, so you had 15 cooling degree days for that particular day.  Now add up all the heating degree days and cooling degree days for the enture winter or summer and that is how you know how many you had that entire year.

So a location with a low # of HDD has a warm winter on average, one with a lot of HDD has a colder winter.

And a location with a low # of CDD has a mild/cool summer, and one with a lot of CDD has a much hotter summer.  It's all based on your H/CDD base average which is normally 65F.

Did that make sense?

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 18 2006,14:21)

Bobby,

wow, Steve... that's pretty interesting...... It's true that it's almost identical for the lows with the exception of Jan/Feb/Mar. Your daytime highs are a good 10f  higher in the winter which gives marginal plants a significant advantage....    What was surprising is that our summer lows are higher than yours by a few degrees..

I did a comparison of annual HDD and CDD for NYC and ATL.  Here's what they are:

NYC:  4805 HDD    1096 CDD

ATL:   2991 HDD    1667 CDD

The big thing, imo, is that ATL may have close to the same low temps, but they get much warmer (10-15F) during the day in winter, so much less HDD in winter.

(syersj @ Oct. 18 2006,14:31)

(SoLando @ Oct. 18 2006,14:21)

Heating/cooling degree days are the number of degrees above or below 65F that your daily temp averages.  They consider a day where it has averaged 65F to be the perfect day - no need for heating or A/C.  For example, if your high was 75F and your low was 55F, then your average temp is 65F and you had no heating or cooling degree days.

Now let's say your high was 75 but your low was 35F, your average temp was 55F, so on that particular day you had 10 heating degree days.  Or another example is your high is 90 and your low is 70, avg temp is 80F, so you had 15 cooling degree days for that particular day.  Now add up all the heating degree days and cooling degree days for the enture winter or summer and that is how you know how many you had that entire year.

So a location with a low # of HDD has a warm winter on average, one with a lot of HDD has a colder winter.

And a location with a low # of CDD has a mild/cool summer, and one with a lot of CDD has a much hotter summer.  It's all based on your H/CDD base average which is normally 65F.

Did that make sense?

Oh, I see! Thanks! :D

The big thing, imo, is that ATL may have close to the same low temps, but they get much warmer (10-15F) during the day in winter, so much less HDD in winter.

that's very true, Jim..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Thanks for the HDD and CDD stats Jim.  I'm mildly surprised that San Francisco has slightly more HDD than Atlanta.  We're quite a bit colder in the winter, but I guess they make up for it throughout the year.

I think that definitely helps with marginal plants.  It keeps the duration of the cold shorter.  It probably helps with potential rot as well because there will be more evaporation after cold winter rain.  Equally important though, It allows me to sometimes sit on my porch with a beer in January (not that I never did that in Michigan, but it just wasn't comfortable) LOL.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

I like to sit on my porch in shorts in Jan and think about that poor fool in MI, MN etc. who has a parka on, and how tough I have it.

I think that definitely helps with marginal plants.  It keeps the duration of the cold shorter.  It probably helps with potential rot as well because there will be more evaporation after cold winter rain.  Equally important though, It allows me to sometimes sit on my porch with a beer in January (not that I never did that in Michigan, but it just wasn't comfortable) LOL.

I hear ya... we're WAYYYYY warmer than michigan... Heck, last New Years I was on my deck with a tanktop getting sun - it was 65f during the day...... We have a very weird climate up here.. It can get to 65-70 in January no problem... but then it could also go down to 15f at night when an arctic front comes in.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

How accurately are the averages measured.  Are they solely based on high/low extremes or the times spent at given temperatures. e.g. If it is 75°F here for 18hours, but dips rapidly to 55°F during the night, then warms back up again, is that still classed as a 65°F average, even though the mean temperature may be over 70°F.

I can't believe the temperatures we've been having, mainly at night.  I've just returned home from work at 6:00am and it is 16°C/61°F.  To put that into perspective, our July night time average is 11°C/52°F and the normal for this time of year is 6°C/43°F.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Bobby!

October's a hot month, all of the stuff no-dang-thang.

But, you're in a place where O-month is the signal for money-grubbing holidays and shorter days and firepplaces where the ole' lady who hates palms still cuddles.

Dang

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

THey keep lowering the low sometime next week everytime I look! I bet ya we'll hit 30s in November.

post-47-1161263765_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

(syersj @ Oct. 18 2006,12:00)

Florida:

Tampa              725         3427

Orlando            686         3381

Miami                200         4198

Jax                   1434        2551

Not trying to split hairs, but the SRCC has Tampa listed as 600 HDD and 3393 CDD (base 65F), based on data from 1900 to 2005.  I only know this as I look at this site frequently as its the official source for SE weather data.

So, they show it as needing slightly less cooling and slightly less heating than the other source's data.

Again at base 65F, for 1948 through 2005, St. Petersburg, FL is shown as 443 HDD and 3641 CDD.  

However, although I havent researched it much, I think that taking the HDD data at a lower base temp is more meaningful.  Something like base 50/55/60F might be revealing?  

Likewise, taking the CDD at something like 70F or so might also be more useful.   I think 70F is is high as the data generally goes.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I couldnt resist and had to look up Key West's CDD/HD data...palm growing paradise!

kw-hdd.jpg

kw-cdd.jpg

Larry 

I can't believe the temperatures we've been having, mainly at night.  I've just returned home from work at 6:00am and it is 16°C/61°F.  To put that into perspective, our July night time average is 11°C/52°F and the normal for this time of year is 6°C/43°F.

Same here, Corey.... last night dropped to 59f... tonight will drop to around 60f and the daytime temps have been in the mid 70's... Now that's not as abnormal here as it is for you, but it's still about 5-7f warmer then normal.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(Neofolis @ Oct. 19 2006,01:48)

How accurately are the averages measured.  Are they solely based on high/low extremes or the times spent at given temperatures. e.g. If it is 75°F here for 18hours, but dips rapidly to 55°F during the night, then warms back up again, is that still classed as a 65°F average, even though the mean temperature may be over 70°F.

Yes, they are based strictly on the average of the daily high and low, regardless of how much time was spent at the high or low.

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 18 2006,23:16)

I hear ya... we're WAYYYYY warmer than michigan... Heck, last New Years I was on my deck with a tanktop getting sun - it was 65f during the day...... We have a very weird climate up here.. It can get to 65-70 in January no problem... but then it could also go down to 15f at night when an arctic front comes in.

Tell me about it.  I grew up in MI, and some days you didn't even think about going outside.  Nose, lips, and ears instantly freeze when you walk outside.

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 19 2006,09:48)

I couldnt resist and had to look up Key West's CDD/HD data...palm growing paradise!

kw-hdd.jpg

kw-cdd.jpg

The site I went by said Key West gets 100 HDD and 4798 CDD per year.  Almost never cool/cold.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united...orida/key-west/

Also looked up Honolulu HI and they get 0 HDD and 4474 CDD.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united...awaii/honolulu/

It was 80 degrees at 6am!! The lowest my part got was 77! I got to skip 5th period because our A/C was out and 107 in the class.. It was pretty miserable today..very humid, hot. I doubt it'll get down to 52 on Wed (? that's when they're forcasting it for right?), the cold front that was supposed to come through yesterday did nothing at all to central FL.

Bobby!

But, you're in a place where O-month is the signal for money-grubbing holidays and shorter days and firepplaces where the ole' lady who hates palms still cuddles.

Dang

dave

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby!

Ain't that the truth, Dave..... But as far as the money-grubbing holidays, heck I've been seeing christmas decorations in stores since the end of August.... Hallloween since early September...

Dang

dave

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(SoLando @ Oct. 19 2006,14:51)

I doubt it'll get down to 52 on Wed (? that's when they're forcasting it for right?), the cold front that was supposed to come through yesterday did nothing at all to central FL.

Last October, both Tampa and Orlando dropped into the 40's.  

I remember being rather surprised when I went out that morning.

At the current time, NWS has some areas around Orlando and north of Tampa dropping into the 40's once again.  Low 50's are looking to be widespread and we probably should expect them.

Larry 

(syersj @ Oct. 19 2006,12:07)

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 19 2006,09:48)

kw-hdd.jpg

kw-cdd.jpg

The site I went by said Key West gets 100 HDD and 4798 CDD per year.  Almost never cool/cold.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united...orida/key-west/

Also looked up Honolulu HI and they get 0 HDD and 4474 CDD.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united...awaii/honolulu/

Jim

Thanks for providing data.  Honolulu's slightly lower cooling degree days [compared to Key West] may be due to cooler Pacific water temps.

California experienced a cold spell last weekend.  Max's : 60's/70's Min's : 50's/60's.  October has been cooler than normal.  Even some rain storms in an otherwise normally dry month.

San Francisco : 78/54

Los Angeles : 87/57

San Diego : 79/59

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Hi,

This october gonna break records maybe ?? It's to warm, also the nights ! Next monday the expect a night tempeture from 16C/60.8 F. Normally the night tempeture for this time of year is 6C/42.8F.

Is this global warming ?

Robbin

Southwest

This October has been interesting to say the least... Here is the latest cold-front poised to send our temps tumbling this weekend into next week....It's interesting how far south it's reaching too....

Long Island, NY Temps

Mon - Oct 23  Partly Cloudy ,   56°/42°  

Tue - Oct 24  Partly Cloudy,   53°/42°  

Wed - Oct 25  Partly Cloudy,  52°/40°

Gainesville, FL Temps

Mon - Oct 23  Isolated T-Storms ,  72°/42°  

Tue - Oct 24  Sunny.   71°/42°  

Wed - Oct 25  Partly Cloudy,   69°/49°

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS