IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

We Provide the Rare & Unusual

Phil

Just so you guys know what a Moderator puts up with at times.

I am being accused once again by a certain Forum Member of preferential treatment. I get reports from this guy whenever he feels a topic should be moved or deleted. If the offending topic happens to be from someone I know (which is most everyone), I am ignoring it because I am "playing favorites." Never mind that most of the time it's because I haven't yet read it, due to the time difference. But if he is correct, and the topic is inappropriate, it is dealt with. I woke up this morning to the following "Report" about this topic. Apparently palm related humor has no place in a serious sub-forum like "Discussing Palms." And it only remains here because I bestow special treatment upon Phil.

"Report:

so I guess this falls in the we have been friends for over 20 years category also???Disscussing Palm Trees Worldwide,suddenly became Ohana Nui once again!!!"

I think I'll leave this topic where it is, and let this post serve as my response to this killjoy. If anyone disagrees, please let me know.

This thread has brightened my morning and It's hard to believe that someone would react to this thread in such a manner. I suppose some people don't have any sense of humor?

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Just so you guys know what a Moderator puts up with at times.

I am being accused once again by a certain Forum Member of preferential treatment. I get reports from this guy whenever he feels a topic should be moved or deleted. If the offending topic happens to be from someone I know (which is most everyone), I am ignoring it because I am "playing favorites." Never mind that most of the time it's because I haven't yet read it, due to the time difference. But if he is correct, and the topic is inappropriate, it is dealt with. I woke up this morning to the following "Report" about this topic. Apparently palm related humor has no place in a serious sub-forum like "Discussing Palms." And it only remains here because I bestow special treatment upon Phil.

"Report:

so I guess this falls in the we have been friends for over 20 years category also???Disscussing Palm Trees Worldwide,suddenly became Ohana Nui once again!!!"

I think I'll leave this topic where it is, and let this post serve as my response to this killjoy. If anyone disagrees, please let me know.

This thread has brightened my morning and It's hard to believe that someone would react to this thread in such a manner. I suppose some people don't have any sense of humor?

Ditto - Dave!

Aloha,

Bill

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

I was the one raining on the PARADE everyone!

For anyone interested, LJG already said in the thread, it should be moved! I have absolutely, NO problem with the thread, or it's content, and found it humourous. EXCEPT that it should be in OHANA NUI,as it is OFF TOPIC,and why some fought so hard to keep an off topic section!!

Christain thanks, I thought PM's, or reports were private ALSO, I guess NOT when you are not a teachers PET!

A PROPER response to my report by a MODERATOR would have been by PM or e-mail ,stating that I have reveiwed,your report and concern,but at this time I have decided to LEAVE the thread where it is,or move it (state your reason).

Not to publically MOCK the reporter of said post, but that wouldn't have the desired effect,I guess?

For a MODERATOR to publically critisize someone ,who DID NOT post a wise cracking response on the thread, but privately, quietly, informed the moderator via the report feature, only to be mocked in public, is disgraceful behaviour by the moderator, as far as I'm concerned.

Carry on! :)

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Hey....I googled him and actually found his price sheet on line. I just ordered my Tahina spectabalis ( 4-5') and another specie of Tahina he claims to have. It's un-named and pretty rare he says. And he has pictures, but those are extra for a small fee. I figure it's worth it to me. 50 plants of each. He promises I'll have them before two weeks and then I can offer them at my sale coming up. Yea...I'm pretty excited.

Jeff

You know, I figured I'd respond to this thread now, I don't want people to think I was the bumb who sent a pm to the moderator, what ever his name is.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I found his website also Jeff. It looks to be totally legit offering very high quality and ultra rare gems at peacfull prices.

I found a palm that I am fascinated with and must have one. The Branching Phoenix canariensis in 2g size with thin trunks and four heads. Spectacular to say the least!

Tool, how much in wampum?

post-1261-1222126819_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

For anyone interested, LJG already said in the thread, it should be moved! I have absolutely, NO problem with the thread, or it's content, and found it humourous. EXCEPT that it should be in OHANA NUI,as it is OFF TOPIC,and why some fought so hard to keep an off topic section!!

Christain thanks, I thought PM's, or reports were private ALSO, I guess NOT when you are not a teachers PET!

A PROPER response to my report by a MODERATOR would have been by PM or e-mail ,stating that I have reveiwed,your report and concern,but at this time I have decided to LEAVE the thread where it is,or move it (state your reason).

Not to publically MOCK the reporter of said post, but that wouldn't have the desired effect,I guess?

For a MODERATOR to publically critisize someone ,who DID NOT post a wise cracking response on the thread, but privately, quietly, informed the moderator via the report feature, only to be mocked in public, is disgraceful behaviour by the moderator, as far as I'm concerned.

Actually I would say this thread fits the area "to a T". This area is "DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE" and that is EXACTLY what has been happening.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I want 50000 of those cold tolerant Cyrtostachys renda's that grow in 6B. I need a refrigerated sea container to send them here, because they probably need to be stored below 4C. :wacko:

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Isn't a PM a private message? :blink:

I wasn't the one raining on the parade, just was hoping private material would be kept private on the site.

When a "Report" or complaint is filed objecting to a topic or thread, or how the Forum is being run, I feel that should be something that members are made aware of. As mentioned before, any "Reports" or complaints of member behavior or subject matter will always remain anonymous.

Private Messages are another matter.

There have been past instances when I have mentioned that members, or even Board Members, have filed "Reports" or objections. As in this case, they have always remained anonymous. I was tired of responding privately to this person's constant insinuations that I make decisions based on who my friends are. I have been accused on numerous occasions by this individual of favoritism, before I have even read the reported post or topic.

I was tired of responding privately, and trying to explain to this party that I can't act on things I haven't yet read. I was also tired that his "Reports" always seem like a personal vendetta, directed at a few individuals he seems to have issues with. I was hoping he would take a hint and limit his "Reporting" to more important matters. But he seems to enjoy stirring the pot, and this is not the first time he has tried to cause controversy. It is ironic that this is the same person who has indicated on more than one occasion that the Forum is going down the tubes, and no one reads it anymore, yet can't seem to stay away himself.

I don't believe this fun little humorous topic about palm trees is causing any harm where it is. And I don't believe that I deserve more accusations because I think that way.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Even though I certainly enjoy a "serious" discussion every now and then, everything here on Discussing Palm Trees doesn't have to be deadly serious 100% of the time. If this thread brightens the day for us, I don't see anything wrong with that. And judging by the responses and number of views that certainly seems to be the case! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Are you trying to tell me this wasn't a serious conversation? I was already looking at my bank balance to place my order.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

does this mean mattyb isnt "the delatior" anymore??? :blink::hmm::unsure:

Sorry Paul, he's been upgraded. He is now to be known as the deflator.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

For the record Scott, I was JOKING. Don't drag me into your issues.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

len are you joking now?

its hard to tell if you are or arent...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

does this mean mattyb isnt "the delatior" anymore??? :blink::hmm::unsure:

Sorry Paul, he's been upgraded. He is now to be known as the deflator.

are you sure thats an "upgrade?" :lol:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

LOL it was anonymous until you called YOURSELF out. FYI, a good rule to live by, don't write anything you wouldn't want published on the front page of the newspaper. BTW there is no privacy rule when you report a thread, but Dean did say he would keep it anonymous...WHICH HE DID. He wasn't mocking anyone, just merely stating that we have someone here who rained on the parade. You could have remained anonymous, but that wouldn't have had "the desired effect, I guess?" YOU CONSISTENTLY rain on everyone's parade here on Palmtalk. :badday: If you are so unhappy with Palmtalk why don't you join another forum? Then we can have fun without being interrupted by some tattletale who clicks on the report button every chance they get.

Another thing, even though this thread is a joke it is STILL PALM related. It will not be moved.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Hey Toolital,

Can I get a musical Arenga?? I'm looking for one that sounds like an Irish Pavarotti. I think it would make a good indoor plant.

Don't they have those at Jungle Music? I thought that palm was the inspiration for the name of Phil's nursery. :)

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Oh, All My Dear Friends,

I woke up this morning and so many people responded.

Carlo, of course we can send you cuttings. What a marvelous way to get plants to you. I've done it many times. How much trunk should I include?

And, Bill; our piersoniorums are not that big. We can ship thousands, but they are only a few feet tall.

For all you others, I will respond when I have time.

And, what's with all the politics? Can't we all just be friends? Palm trees are something that should brighten our lives.

And, finally, I missed the joke when Burt said he needed an ambulance. Is he ill? I should send him an Orange Snowball Palm and a Get Well Soon card.

Toolital

Camerama, W.A.

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Jungle Phil horsing around like a teenager -

my astonishment exceeds all words

seriously though, I'm lobbying for Cameroon as the site of the next biennial

I get by with a little help from my fronds

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Mr. Toolital,

Have no fear, your prayers and pleas have been answered, for today the big kahuna will proclaim in the palm garden of the big white house that the company of "Paulson and Bernacke" have granted you the figure of $700,000,000,000 in return for the bank accounts of all your dead cousins, uncles, aunts, mothers fathers and generals who are unable to access their bank accounts.

In appreciation could you please send 400,000,000 coconut seeds so this great land will have a bountiful harvest.

Your servant

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Speaking of personal vendettas it seems the moderator is wearing HIS in public for all to see! :winkie:

As far as numerous times, as in being a nusience,I am wondering what the definition of numerous is as far as reporting posts or topics, is two or three in the past 12 months considered numerous or excessive? I'm sure if it is MORE than that you will correct me,as you have access to that information. When I see something I think is not FAIR I open my mouth, sorry if that offends anyone.

Putu Enjula as far as posting anything or saying anything in an PM or report that I wouldn't want published on the front page of a paper,I couldn't agree more!I call a spade, a spade when I see it. I called myself OUT because I wrote those words and whether right or wrong I stand by them. And if you recall when I have been wrong, yes I have been wrong before, I have admitted it! Thank you for moderation pile on! :)

Again carry on!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

So uhm... Scott... Which dreamy scamaroonian palm are you going to purchase? :)

Toolitl, do you have any polkadotted palms? I heard there are some native to your part of the world... I would pay handsomely in Euros of course.

Dear Tool,

I have received my Leptocheilos zombiafolia that I ordered from you. I regret to inform you that upon trying to pet my beloved new Teddyspike palm I got injured. I've enclosed a picture so that you know how serious this is, and that you should be sending me some money so I don't sue your butt! How do you like that downer, snarky dank!? Make me a cake and call me Susan!

post-126-1222186663_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

so....how 'bout them chargers? :mellow:

<----wiping off the blood and applying pressure to above photo!

CHARGERS ROCKED!! Brett is a hottie but the boys n blue came thru for us. :wub: Nothing like a winning game... at home!!

I think we should all stick to our charity work in the states and leave Toolital to his own devious devices. C'mon boys... OJ's back in court...again....isnt that enough drama? I'll tell you about the fight in the stands and the cops <<bribery>> :hmm:can't we all just get along Rodney?:(

Well, this post is about palms . . . . .

Nothing in the rules says anything about whether they have to be real or not.

Just a lawyer's perspective . . . . .

So, how about them Chargers . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Speaking of personal vendettas it seems the moderator is wearing HIS in public for all to see! :winkie:

As far as numerous times, as in being a nusience,I am wondering what the definition of numerous is as far as reporting posts or topics, is two or three in the past 12 months considered numerous or excessive? I'm sure if it is MORE than that you will correct me,as you have access to that information. When I see something I think is not FAIR I open my mouth, sorry if that offends anyone.

This exercise in futility is a perfect illustration of why I chose to make this "Report" public. And why I was attempting to keep his identity anonymous. I was hoping it would persuade this guy to abandon his penchant for frivolous complaints, and the inevitable escalating back and forth as he needs to have the last word. I was trying to avoid the "nuisance" of going round and round with him again in private. I assumed incorrectly that he would be discrete enough to avoid carrying on for all to see.

I forgot about his willingness last year to publicly berate me for failing to respond to another of his "private" complaints. Only problem was that he failed to check his email first, for my response. I also underestimated his constant need to keep digging, and his inability to let a discussion die. This behavior has chased away at least one Forum Member who used to contribute regularly with valuable information. But after this member shared some of his discourteous PMs, I understood.

But enough dirty laundry. Let's hope for once he can bite his tongue, and instead go back to scouring the Forum for another topic he can accuse me of offering preferential treatment.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I am relatively new to this forum. This is the most fun palm tree thread I have ever read! This humer has exceeded anything I could have expected from this site. I suppose from reading a couple of the post some people don't like to have a great time talking about palm trees in a cool twisted way. Toolital I never expected you to be so funny. Keep it up. I'm still waiting however for my whinners palm tree you promised!!! Regards, Randy

test

Dear Friends,

I am finally free of my daily business demands so that I can return to talk with my new palm associates. On my yukalele I'm strumming the sounds of "Be Happy" in our outdoor parlor as the Coconuts blow overhead. And, in the distance, I see row after row of beautifully grown and unusual palm trees for my customers. Of keen interest is the fact that I've grown almost every palm that you've mentioned above. We in Camarama learn at a young age to know what people want. And, our grasslands are vast and full of botanical treasures.

Do we have polkadot palms? Of course. Licuala manjano. Splotches of yellow that Jackson Pollock couldn't have done better. They hide in the darkest corners of our forests.

Red leaves? Of course. A rare Northern species of Phoenix. We call it the Ebola Palm. Red from tip to trunk. And, with thousands of bright green seeds it reminds me of the Holidays.

I know (as in above messages) that some people may not like to hear from citizens of Camarama, but please understand them and be patient. They just haven't tasted the fruits or seen the beauty of our great nation.

Toolital

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

My Dear Friend Toolital,

I am very happy reading your lists and names and your palms! These are my dreams, to have garden just like Camarama wild! Please to understand is many bank problems here and thus I suffer temporary problem of liquidity. In this sight, is better I ask for merely ten liner size dwarf Lodoicea maldivica better for price, yes? And for shippings, yes? I will gladly pay you last Tuesday in October for shipment first Tuesday October, special bank draft requirement COD. Please to send very quickly and urgently your bank informations to permit this future deposit, only wire transfer. Thank you and I sing your praises for this quick informations and shipments, my heart is full. I know these dwarf liner palms will be small but growing but I am patience personified!! LOL, LOL

My very best regards,

Kim

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Oh Mr. Prince of the Balinise Coconuts,

We have a saying here in Camarama: " You send the money and then you get the picture". It's a simple saying but oh so true.

And Kim, please send your name, date of birth, address, profession and phone number and my brother, Buta, will call on you soon. This is all he needs to get things going.

Toolital

Ebola Palms! YES! That's exactly what I want!

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

My dear friend Toolital,

I am ecstatic to read of your quantity of piersoniorums! This is much more than I thought you had raised from seed! Since I trust the price will be less as they are smaller than I thought, I will like to purchase an even 50 so I can line a long driveway. I also have heard you have a special fertilizer available that will double the speed and growth and increase the hue of color of anything it is used on within a week. I would like to aquire 1000 pounds of this magical elixer. (I understand it will even smell like ice cream!)

WAIT! I just thought, do you by ANY chance have the Super Duper Looper Pooper Scooper Dypsis Decipiens? And is it available in any color one would desire? If so, please alert me as to its cost and availability at your earliest convenience.

My bailout money is slow in coming, but maybe you could put the order together while we wait. If it continues too long, maybe I can contact our government and have them send the money directly to you. That should be no problem, I'm sure.

Sincerely again,

your friend,

William Montgomery Sanford

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Toolital: Please send me another order of your 2 for $.99 Lodoicea liners. The other two liners arrived and are in great shape. Please pack this shipment in the same fashion with the dry ice. Please include three of the varigated Licuala sanfordii from Kafiristan in 48 inch boxes with this order. Please pack these in dry ice as well. Wire transfer of funds will be from the National Bank of Lompoc, which will arrive this PM. Thanks, Alan. P.S.: Please advise when the Ebola palms are large enough for shipment.

Alan Brickey

Toolital, I'm so fortunate to have someone like you on the forum. There is a palm I've been looking for for a long time. Could you please send a Syagrus romanzoffiana, preferably 5g, although I know they are difficult to come by, so I'd appreciate even one seed. Would you accept a variety of American stocks as payment?

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.