IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Leilani working vacation

Urban Rainforest

Here is a pic of the kitchen. All appliances, dishes, beds and furniture are brand new!

post-351-1221798896_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Master bed

post-351-1221798968_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Palm dresser

post-351-1221799083_thumb.jpg

Spare bedroom

post-351-1221799154_thumb.jpg

Front lanai with a view of Bo's Clinostigmas.

post-351-1221799277_thumb.jpg

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed our little working vacation/adventure. Thanks to all who supported my Hawaii palm fund sale to help make it possible. Thats all I got until next time.

Steve

post-351-1221799773_thumb.jpg

Steve....

Palms + Leilani Estates = heaven.

Viewing your pics, I really can't get over the fact that ALL the plants just look so much better over there than they ever will here in Southern Cal.....no matter how hard i try, even in the greenhouse, I could never sufficiently replicate the climate and environmental conditions that naturally occur on the Big Island.

I'm gonna get over there one of these days....hopefully sooner than later.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all the pics!

Thanks Burt! I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. It has to be one of the best tropical plant and palm growing climates there is. The climate and the abundant and consistent rainfall throughout the year make it all work. You for sure have to go someday. You'll love it!

Take care,

Steve

its always a pleasure to "tag along" on yer hawaii trips,steve!

cant wait till the next one! :drool:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

its always a pleasure to "tag along" on yer hawaii trips,steve!

cant wait till the next one! :drool:

As it is fun to tag along on your Bali trips :drool: !

Thanks,

Steve

• 3 months later...

BUMP ... I've had alot of people PMing me lately asking about our vacation rental and wanting to see pics so here ya go!

Stevo

Thanks for the bump. I like looking at the Dypsis Oropedionis. :yay:

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for the bump. I like looking at the Dypsis Oropedionis. :yay:

One of my favs to Len! I can't wait to get back and see it :) .

Stevo

BTW, Steve, do you tell people it rains here!??? :lol: (over 6 inches last 2 days! :) )

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

BTW, Steve, do you tell people it rains here!??? :lol: (over 6 inches last 2 days! :) )

Bo, Tell me it is'nt so :blink: I believe the renters we have in there this week said they don't like rain :unsure: I don't think I've seen 6" there in any 3 weeks I've been there but I've never been there in the winter :lol: It might be a good time for them to make the drive to Kona :winkie: .

Stevo

If they don't like rain, this is definitely the wrong place for them. At least right now! It's been pouring down, pretty much nonstop, Thursday and Friday. Today was dry, and we even had a bit of sunshine this afternoon, but it began pouring down again just about half an hour ago!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Quick update - another 3.54 inches overnight! Now total 9.89 inches for the last 72 hours. It stopped raining a short while ago (8 am), but sky is grey and we may very well have another day with numerous heavy showers. Who knows...! :)

Quick update - another 3.54 inches overnight! Now total 9.89 inches for the last 72 hours. It stopped raining a short while ago (8 am), but sky is grey and we may very well have another day with numerous heavy showers. Who knows...! :)

Doesn't somebody on this site have a arc as an avatar that can be lent to Bo and Stevo.... :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Don't know if you've asked for it for Christmas or have them, but contact our Aussie mates and get yourself some Aussie rain coats by DRIZA- BONE, they work!! Buy some hats too. I'm sure Clayton, Wal and other can vouch for these items!!

http://www.drizabone.com.au/

Nothing like working inside today! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Happy New Years,

clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Nobody is using rain coats here! Wimps! :lol:

I forgot....85F....Got some Boardshorts? :rolleyes:

How's that soil when it gets wet.....slippery or what? Yeppy!!

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

I agree, just this past friday after Christmas, we had a steady drizzle for much of the day and I had brought some palms home to plant over the long weekend. I never use a raincoat. I just wear my hat and go out and expect to get wet and muddy. Of course, if it's cold out than I don't bother.I love it. It's always refreshing. Now if we get thunder and lightning (usually only in the summer months) then I don't even think twice about coming inside. I don't take the chance with that stuff!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Do you know how lucky your are to hear thunder? We only have a thunder storm here about every two years, and it's usually in the winter time. Our thunder storms are whimps compaired to yours. I miss those bang, bang, Miami thunder storms. Our summers can be boring, just one beautiful sunny day after another........no clouds for months............or rain.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread and let me say that it looks like youve got a great place!

Thanks for sharing.

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"