IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Leilani working vacation

Urban Rainforest

Steph is a total animal lover and this Waipio horse was very friendly and would let you feed him.

post-351-1221429323_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221429410_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221429446_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221429489_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Here are a couple of pics from Waipio valley river.

post-351-1221429666_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221429756_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Wow, that valley is a spectacular place! That'll get put on my list of places I'd like to see sometime.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Great stuff Steve! Any pictures of your house to show us?

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Nice photos of the valley, gonna have to try the hike one of these days. Really spectacular. Gonna have to

get to Jerry's place as well.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Great thread Steve! Thanks for sharing!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

That switchback (zigzag) trail going up the far side of Waipio Valley goes to Waimanu Valley, and it's a spectacular and remote area to hike through. I have hiked about halfway to Waimanu, and then of course back the same way. They claim it's a two day hike, in and out. Something I'd like to disprove one of these days! Any volunteers? :huh:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wow, that valley is a spectacular place! That'll get put on my list of places I'd like to see sometime.

Thanks Mark, Sometimes you see a place and you cross it off your list and never have to see it again. This is not one of those places! I plan on going back over and over again.

Steve

Great stuff Steve! Any pictures of your house to show us?

Thanks Dave. Stay tuned as I'm going to post pics of the house last. I still have lots of other pics to post though.

Steve

Nice photos of the valley, gonna have to try the hike one of these days. Really spectacular. Gonna have to

get to Jerry's place as well.

Jerry's place and the Waipio valley are both must see's! I'll warn you now Tim the hike up is fairly brutal. I had to see if the old guy (me) could pull it off. I did ok but I thought I was going to have to carry Steph out of there :lol: . Note to self: I must do more cardio :rolleyes: .

Steve

Great thread Steve! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Matty and glad you enjoyed the pics! When are you going back to over there to Deano's?

Steve

That switchback (zigzag) trail going up the far side of Waipio Valley goes to Waimanu Valley, and it's a spectacular and remote area to hike through. I have hiked about halfway to Waimanu, and then of course back the same way. They claim it's a two day hike, in and out. Something I'd like to disprove one of these days! Any volunteers? :huh:

Bo, That is a hike I would like to do someday and I'm sure the farther back you go the less people you would encounter not that there were alot anyhow. There were these 4x4 tourist vans comeing down pretty frequently but thats just not us. We like to chart our own path.Bo, I have little doubt that you could make it in there and out in under 2 days. It would probably take me 2 and a half days though :huh: .

Steve

Enjoyed all the photos Steve! great place you have. And Bo provoding top notch palms can't hurt either! :)

Thanks Luke and your right, Bo not only grows great palms but he has free delivery :lol: . I noticed on your signature that you get 63" of rain anually! Thats right there with certain spots in Hawaii. Here in San Diego were basically just an extension of the Sonoran desert and lucky if we recieve 10" for the year :( .

Steve

Another place we went to was the Pana'ewa zoo. I had been ther before with Ty but Steph had never been.

Here is a very nice and robust Dypsis Decipiens.

post-351-1221535861_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221535900_thumb.jpg

There was no sign on this one but I believe it was a green form of Cyrtostachys. The internode spacing was extreme and looked very cool.

post-351-1221536058_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221536147_thumb.jpg

Metroxylon

post-351-1221536271_thumb.jpg

Cyrtostachys Renda

post-351-1221536363_thumb.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot, they had animals there too :) . Here are some Macaws.

post-351-1221536505_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221536556_thumb.jpg

This native Hawaiin hawk was beautifull!

post-351-1221536716_thumb.jpg

Ring tailed Lemur

post-351-1221536819_thumb.jpg

White tiger chillin

post-351-1221536970_thumb.jpg

I think this little monkey was scheming on a palm seed raid or the Anteaters food :lol: .

post-351-1221537125_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221537168_thumb.jpg

If you can't roll with da big dogs stay off da porch!

post-351-1221538559_thumb.jpg

The Anteaters. I wonder if they eat Argentine ants :hmm: . If so I sure could use him in San Diego!

Don't get too close, the tongue is longer than the snout :blink:

post-351-1221537722_thumb.jpg

hey steve i'd love to pm ya & say how much i enjoyed yer pix but when i click on "send message" nothing happens & even tho i KNOW i've added you as a friend yer NOT on my "friends list" & when i go to yer profile i cant add you again cuz it only says "remove friend"(which i dont wanna do)--so ANYWAYS

great pix!!! :blink:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

hey steve i'd love to pm ya & say how much i enjoyed yer pix but when i click on "send message" nothing happens & even tho i KNOW i've added you as a friend yer NOT on my "friends list" & when i go to yer profile i cant add you again cuz it only says "remove friend"(which i dont wanna do)--so ANYWAYS

great pix!!! :blink:

Thanks Paul! Glad you enjoyed the pics. As far as the rest it sounds pretty wierd but definately a Moderator question as I would'nt have a clue :blink: ! HEY MOD, Can you reinstate Paul to my buddy list so we can talk story already :angry::lol: !!! There that should get some action :blink: .

Take care,

Steve

One of my favorite places to go on the big island is the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden. This place is a color explosion! Last time a took alot more palm pics but this time I went mostly for the color and the lighting was just right making some of the plants look like they were lit up. So let the explosion begin :drool: . Here is a beautifull torch ginger.

post-351-1221620921_thumb.jpg

Croton

post-351-1221620986_thumb.jpg

Ti

post-351-1221621049_thumb.jpg

Orchid

post-351-1221621116_thumb.jpg

The Heliconia collection at the Botanical garden is amazing! Here are just a few.

post-351-1221621411_thumb.jpg

more

post-351-1221621491_thumb.jpg

more

post-351-1221621567_thumb.jpg

The infloresences on this one were over 8 ft. long!

post-351-1221621688_thumb.jpg

And one more.

post-351-1221621769_thumb.jpg

ok, one more but thats it :winkie: .

post-351-1221622030_thumb.jpg

Cool flowers

post-351-1221622139_thumb.jpg

Bat Flower

post-351-1221622889_thumb.jpg