IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Leilani working vacation

Urban Rainforest

We also spent some time with Jerry and Cindy Andersen while we were there and their garden ROCKS :drool: !!! I had not photographed their garden since a couple of years ago and Jerry was gracious enough to give me a tour and let me take pics. I believe they have 4 acres now and I'm sooo jellous! Anyhows here are a few pics and if I botch any of the names feel free to correct me Jerry. Also ones I'm not sure of I'll just post the pic. Here is one of 2 Dypsis Bejofa that grace Their front entry. Also some of these pics are a little glary as it was a very bright day.

Steve

post-351-1221353170_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221353216_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Trunkal region of Dypsis Tsarovosira formerly Dypsis Nauseosa and Formerly Dypsis Ceracea :blink:

post-351-1221353459_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

This one Jerry bought as true Ambo. Time will tell but it is one gorgeous palm!

post-351-1221353598_thumb.jpg

Here jerry stands in for scale on his monster Marojejya.

post-351-1221353764_thumb.jpg

A grouping of Dypsis fine leaf.

post-351-1221353856_thumb.jpg

These are few and far between! Double Coconut.

post-351-1221353950_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221353987_thumb.jpg

Kentiopsis Pyroformis

post-351-1221354380_thumb.jpg

Kentiopsis Piersoniorum

post-351-1221354480_thumb.jpg

Another K.P.

post-351-1221354634_thumb.jpg

Cyphophoenix Elegans

post-351-1221354806_thumb.jpg

Cyphophoenix Nucele

post-351-1221354896_thumb.jpg

Wettinia Sp. complete with blueish crownshaft!

post-351-1221355611_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221355678_thumb.jpg

Your basic flawless Joeys :drool:

post-351-1221355799_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221355857_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Hovomantsina

post-351-1221355958_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Sp. white

post-351-1221356045_thumb.jpg

Seeding Cyphosperma Balansae.

post-351-1221356163_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221356212_thumb.jpg

Veillonia Alba (Yes I'm aware of all the new name changes A) I'm not a big fan and B they have'nt sunk into my thick bean yet :mrlooney: )

post-351-1221356784_thumb.jpg

One of my very favorite palms Dark Mealybug :drool:

post-351-1221356921_thumb.jpg

Areca Macrocalyx

post-351-1221357022_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Pembana. Steph thinks I take TOO many palm pics. I think she may be right :huh: . More later :lol: .

post-351-1221357179_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221357221_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Excellent! It's nice to see more progress on your property. It's got to be very rewarding thinking about all that was done as your flying back to California.

And I see you skipped the part about planting the common species( yawn) and jump right into the rare and exciting. :) Take lots of pictures and keep planting! Very nice.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, We have owned the property for a year now and I've planted exactly 50 palms and various fruit trees, Heliconias and Aroids which is better than I did here in San Diego this last year. Your so right about it being a good feeling on the flight back thinking about all you accomplished and already planning out your next trip. Glad you enjoyed the pics!

Steve

Here is one that I believe was Jurassic park but I believe Jerry said it's Tokoravina.

post-351-1221370844_thumb.jpg

One of the bigger Kerriodoxa Elegans I've seen.

post-351-1221370937_thumb.jpg

I love these. Dwarf Areca Catechu

post-351-1221371067_thumb.jpg

Basselinia Gracilis

post-351-1221371159_thumb.jpg

Nive job Steve.

Hey, I see you planted a Loxicoccos Rupicola. Did you ever get a pic of Jerry's?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Dypsis "Hawaiin Punch" full of inflo's.

post-351-1221371249_thumb.jpg

Zamia Psuedoparasitica

post-351-1221371356_thumb.jpg

Nive job Steve.

Hey, I see you planted a Loxicoccos Rupicola. Did you ever get a pic of Jerry's?

Thanks Len, I'm not sure as there are some palms I don't recognize. I'll try to see if I can find it. I did see it in Jerry's garden and it was spectacular!

Steve

Ravenea Albicans

post-351-1221371987_thumb.jpg

In the Andersen garden there are also many nice Aroids. Here are just a few. Thanks again to Cindy and Jerry for letting me tour their garden and take all these wonderfull pics.

Steve

post-351-1221372479_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221372521_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221372574_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221372615_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221372657_thumb.jpg

We found this cool goat leashed up in the unincorporated area a few streets up from us. The owner came out and said his name was Tsunami and it was ok to pet him. He said he was some kind of dwarf goat and he had a big bell around his neck. I wanted to see if I could borrow him to eat my weeds :) .

post-351-1221373426_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221373489_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221373530_thumb.jpg

Cool, beautiful and fun! Thanks Steve! (Good to visit yesterday, I was thinking, Did Len get to see your sargentii?)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Cool, beautiful and fun! Thanks Steve! (Good to visit yesterday, I was thinking, Did Len get to see your sargentii?)

Thanks Bill! It was good hanging out with you Len and Gary. I don't believe Len saw it as it's kind of in the forgotten zone with my Encephalartos Whitelockii that is throwing 3 cones and my Encephalartos Kisambo that is going completely nuts! Next time :) .

Steve

Each time we go to the big island we try to see and do something new. We have been there 5 times now and there is still much that we have'nt seen yet. Last time out we made it to the Waipio valley lookout point but we decided this time to hike down and check it out. I would have to say it was one of the highlights of our trip! We bought a backpack at a thrift store, packed a picnic lunch and some drinks and off we went. Here is a view of the scenic drive on the way over.

post-351-1221419876_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221419940_thumb.jpg

There are stunning views from the lookout point!

post-351-1221420091_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221420127_thumb.jpg

At little background on the valley. Hawaiins have been living in this valley for over 1200 years since pre contact times. In the 18th century King Kamehameha 1 was able to conquer and unite the Hawaiin islands from this valley. Because of it's abundant water from the river the Waipio valley is a prime area for Taro cultivation and has provided Poi throughout the islands for centuries. There are countless ancient habitation and burial sites, temples,trails,irrigation ditches and fish ponds and the whole valley is sacred land. Here is a view from the trail of some of those Taro fields and homes.

post-351-1221420976_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pics of the trail on the way down. The trail is VERY steep and they will not let you drive down without a 4x4. We saw a few cars in the forest that did not make it :blink: .

post-351-1221421252_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221421295_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221421332_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221421370_thumb.jpg

It took us about a half hour to reach the valley floor and maybe another 10 min. to hike to the beach. Once there the views were breathtakingly beautifull!

post-351-1221421567_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221421616_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221421655_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221421689_thumb.jpg

In this pic looking to the other side of the valley you can see a zig zag trail leading up the side. I was told that it leads to another valley which leads to another valley so you could hike for days. Maybe next time.

post-351-1221428959_thumb.jpg