IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Leilani working vacation

Urban Rainforest

The volenteer palms I found in the back half acre were amazing! Not the usual washies and phoenix I find in my yard at home in San Diego. I wonder where the seeds might have come from :hmm: .

post-351-1221199054_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221199097_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221199137_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221199178_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221199230_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Steve,

Just wondering how you are going to stop weeds or the vines from taking over again?? Here, we mulch heavily for that reason in the wet. Otherwise the weeds will grow twice as fast as the plants...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari, I hire a gardener to take care of things when we are not there and then I do extensive weeding when I'm there and spray roundup before I leave. Here is an area that I hand weeded before we left.

Steve

post-351-1221199613_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Steve,

Lucky you... I wouldn't mind a gardener or two... then I can concentrate on doing the 'fun' bits, like planting... Without mulch, I have to weed every second day in the wet.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Steve,

Lucky you... I wouldn't mind a gardener or two... then I can concentrate on doing the 'fun' bits, like planting... Without mulch, I have to weed every second day in the wet.

Ari, The wet is pretty much a 12 month affair in Leilani estates. That is why we are able to leave for 6 months to a year and come back to thriving palms. We were just there 17 days and it rained (at times very hard) every single night!

Steve

Thanks for the update Steve. It will be intersting to see how things look in another six months. Machetes can be a bit dangerous when you let them slip. Fortunately I have not suffered any damage yet. But, I have done the same thing. One of the good things of your area there is that you don't need to pay as much attention to where you step our put your hands. Around here you always have to keep an eye out so you end up getting bitten by a poisonous snake, agressive wasps, or attacking ants (especially bullet ants).

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Envy.gif

I'm having some serious palm growing envy... Some of those things just won't grow in my sandy silty soil. Thanks for sharing those pics Steve, I too want to see regular updates on the newly planted palms' growth. B)

Thanks for the update Steve. It will be intersting to see how things look in another six months. Machetes can be a bit dangerous when you let them slip. Fortunately I have not suffered any damage yet. But, I have done the same thing. One of the good things of your area there is that you don't need to pay as much attention to where you step our put your hands. Around here you always have to keep an eye out so you end up getting bitten by a poisonous snake, agressive wasps, or attacking ants (especially bullet ants).

Don, It's funny you would mention that because when I was deep in the back of my forest I was thinking that very thought. What could possibly get me? A centipede or a crazed wild feral pig and I was the one with the machete :lol: .

Steve

Envy.gif

I'm having some serious palm growing envy... Some of those things just won't grow in my sandy silty soil. Thanks for sharing those pics Steve, I too want to see regular updates on the newly planted palms' growth. B)

That is mostly what I am planting there are either palms that wont grow in San Diego or palms that grow so slow that it is ridiculous. Of course any and all Dypsis welcome :) . I'll for sure be posting updates.

Steve

Hey look! I ate that pineapple in post #42!!!!!

Dave, Thanks for planting the top! We ate 4 pineapples from our garden while we were there and I planted all 4 of the tops. They are white pineapples and will make you forget all about the golden ones. Tasty :drool:

Steve

post-351-1221224623_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Just wondering how you are going to stop weeds or the vines from taking over again?? Here, we mulch heavily for that reason in the wet. Otherwise the weeds will grow twice as fast as the plants...

Ari, I hire a gardener to take care of things when we are not there and then I do extensive weeding when I'm there and spray roundup before I leave. Here is an area that I hand weeded before we left.

Steve

Thats what I'm doing wrong. I need to draw a white line in the soil so the weeds know not to cross it, or there will be dire consequences.

Beautiful as always Steve.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow-fantastic Steve. Now somebody please tell me the D. oropedionis available here in Socal is the same as Steve's in Hawaii.

San Fernando Valley, California

Wow-fantastic Steve. Now somebody please tell me the D. oropedionis available here in Socal is the same as Steve's in Hawaii.

I doubt it. :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Steve,

Can you id the plants in Post #41 from the back half for us?

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Good job Steveo! That was like a lesson on botanical names. Like the way you built up your planting areas with the loose lava rocks. I'll be doing the same in about 2 weeks. I have my list already to go, but after seeing some of your photos, I might have to make some changes. Love that presto...hmmm know of any place I might get a few? :lol: Thanks for the pics, hurry back, I'll need some muscle for my place.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Dave,

Re post #41 - I hope Steve won't mind me providing some background info. First of all, #1, 2 and 5: Pinanga coronata. Photo #3 and 4: Verschaffeltia splendida.

Up until two years ago, the property line between our property and the property now owned by Steve and Steph did not have a fence. Ten years ago, I collected ripe seeds from one of our P. coronata. I cleaned them, and then I simply walked along the property line, dropping hundreds of these seeds along the way, and trampling them into the little soil there was. Many of these germinated, and are now 10-14 ft tall palms. I'm fairly certain the palm in photo #5 is one of these. These palms, as can be seen, are now themselves producing fruit & seed and #1 and #2 are volunteer seedlings from these palms.

When we put up the field fence two years ago, we did this because we were beginning to have problems with feral pigs digging up various areas on our property (and we havn't had a single problem since the fence went up). BUT, the ground is extremely uneven between our property and Steve's, PLUS the fact that there are a bunch of palms that are right on the property line so in some cases we ended up putting the fence as much as 10 feet onto our property resulting in many of the palms that I had planted actually being on (what is now) Steve's side of the fence. The Verschaffeltia is one of those. But give it another couple of years and there will definitely be plenty of volunteer seedlings around it!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Boy.... poor Steve. You gotta feel bad for the guy.... living next to Bo and all...!!!!!!!! All those lousy extra Pinangas layin around!!!! What's a guy gonna do?

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Great job you guys. I can relate to every single thing you're enjoying.

If you are like me, during the plane ride home you are counting the number of palms you managed to plant. And then, after home a few days, you start roaming through the pics and can't wait to get back to see how much everything has grown. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Awesome Steve! Post number 2 has got to be what Alfred has in Tana as Dypsis Betafaka.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

At one point it was raining very hard and my gloves were wet. I swung the machete and it went flying out of my hand and stuck next to my foot . Scary stuff.

Steve, when I lived in the islands I started using a 'Barteaux & Sons' machete. The handle gave me a lot of confidence. 1765_w8.jpg

At one point it was raining very hard and my gloves were wet. I swung the machete and it went flying out of my hand and stuck next to my foot . Scary stuff.

Steve, when I lived in the islands I started using a 'Barteaux & Sons' machete. The handle gave me a lot of confidence. 1765_w8.jpg

This is the preferred instrument in Louisiana. And I can personally attest it does a fine job. That little hook in the back is particularly effective.

post-1207-1221271128_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Steve (and Dave),

I was a bit hasty earlier. Photo #4 in post 41 is a Roscheria melanochaetes - not Verschaffeltia. I have both (as well as Phoenicophorium and Deckenia) in this area.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Steve,

Steve

Thats what I'm doing wrong. I need to draw a white line in the soil so the weeds know not to cross it, or there will be dire consequences.

Beautiful as always Steve.

Thanks Bill, In recent pics it looks like you have already turned the corner on your weeds.

Steve

Peter, I was under the impression that it was the same Dypsis Oropedionis that is going around Cali but with mature fronds but maybe it's not. Bo could probably elaborate as to it's true ID as it came from his nursery.

Steve

Good job Steveo! That was like a lesson on botanical names. Like the way you built up your planting areas with the loose lava rocks. I'll be doing the same in about 2 weeks. I have my list already to go, but after seeing some of your photos, I might have to make some changes. Love that presto...hmmm know of any place I might get a few? :lol: Thanks for the pics, hurry back, I'll need some muscle for my place.

Tim

Tim, I know you have to be very excited to be going back to da big island in 2 weeks! Bo's still got some Prestos and Oropedionis. Don't forget to get a Lemur or 2 while there still available also. Have a great trip!

Steve

Awesome Steve! Post number 2 has got to be what Alfred has in Tana as Dypsis Betafaka.

Gary

Thanks Gary! I had'nt thought about the Betafaka but now that you mention it They do share a similar leaf structure :hmm: . Time will tell :) .

Steve

Mats and Keith, Those are some very cool looking machetes! At the Pahoa hardware store in Hawaii you have 2 choices dull and sharp. I really like the handle idea.

Steve

Steve (and Dave),

I was a bit hasty earlier. Photo #4 in post 41 is a Roscheria melanochaetes - not Verschaffeltia. I have both (as well as Phoenicophorium and Deckenia) in this area.

Bo-Göran

Bo, Thanks for clearing up the volunteer mystery! Feel free to throw as much rare palm seed in my yard as you want. :lol:

Steve

The running joke for years was that the best food in Hawaii was on the plane flight over. They lied! Bo and Karolyn invited us to the Volcano rotory club lobster fest. It was awesome! They flew in Maine lobsters along with shrimp and chowder :drool: . Actually I do love traditional Hawaiin dishes as well such as Kalua pork, lau lau, lomi salmon and poki.

Steve

post-351-1221276191_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221276229_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221276267_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Great "lobster pics"! And about the Dypsis oropedions - all I can say is that I bought a bunch of them (under this name) from Floribunda in March 2006. They were in 4 inch pots, and I have since moved them up and they are now in 5G pots.

Bo-Göran

One thing we like about the big island is all the animals you see driving around. This steer had some serious horns and we were not expecting to see a donkey with a zebra :hmm: .

post-351-1221277948_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221278000_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221278040_thumb.jpg

One of our favorite beaches on the big island is Hapuna beach. It is one of the few white sand beaches on the island and has excellent snorkeling. Here we are chilin at Hapuna.

post-351-1221280220_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221280319_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221280364_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Apparently Hapuna Beach has been closed the last few days because of shark sightings. These shark sightings and beach closings always has me wondering - at what point do they actually close the beach? After all, a shark could be a couple of miles out (which is where he lives!), and he could probably be close to the beach before you've finished eating your sandwich...! :huh:

Anyway - just wanted you to know that the Big Sprinkler in the sky opened up earlier this morning. Total of .55 inches for your palms. Nothing too impressive, but certainly needed and welcome! This has been a strange year. Right now we're up to 86.74 inches for the year, which is above average. (Last year, this date, we had a total of 77.95 and we ended up with 147.73 for the year). BUT, this year we had about 44 inches during the first 6 weeks (35 inches in just the first 12 days of Feb!), and it's been relatively dry since. Hopefully more rain to come! :)

Bo-Göran

Great pics Steve. Looks like you and your family are having a great time with your place. I wish I had a neighbor like Bo. I do have one generous palm neighbor. The offspring of his palms are popping up all over my property. Unfortunately he only has about 30 huge Washies that seed like crazy.

Take care,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Great job you guys. I can relate to every single thing you're enjoying.

If you are like me, during the plane ride home you are counting the number of palms you managed to plant. And then, after home a few days, you start roaming through the pics and can't wait to get back to see how much everything has grown. :)

Thanks Dean, It was hard work but it truly is a labor of love. I remember when we first bought the place and I wanted to hire a guy with a tractor to come in and clear the back 40 but you and Bo convinced me that all I needed was a sharp machete. You know there is something really satisfying about clearing your land by hand and you can kind of plan the trails out as you go. It also preserves all the lava formations I have on the property. I look at pics of my palms over there all the time when I need my Hawaii fix and have already started my wish list for next time.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Apparently Hapuna Beach has been closed the last few days because of shark sightings. These shark sightings and beach closings always has me wondering - at what point do they actually close the beach? After all, a shark could be a couple of miles out (which is where he lives!), and he could probably be close to the beach before you've finished eating your sandwich...! :huh:

Anyway - just wanted you to know that the Big Sprinkler in the sky opened up earlier this morning. Total of .55 inches for your palms. Nothing too impressive, but certainly needed and welcome! This has been a strange year. Right now we're up to 86.74 inches for the year, which is above average. (Last year, this date, we had a total of 77.95 and we ended up with 147.73 for the year). BUT, this year we had about 44 inches during the first 6 weeks (35 inches in just the first 12 days of Feb!), and it's been relatively dry since. Hopefully more rain to come! :)

Bo-Göran

Bo, We heard about them closing Hapuna and a couple of Waikaloa beaches just days before we left and about a week after we had been there ourselves. They said one of the sharks was a 12' tiger! There is a rocky point all the way at the end where I like to snorkle because of the size and variety of fish there but the theme from jaws sometimes plays in my head because beyond that point it drops off quickly and I just know sharks are lurking there :unsure: . My son Ty posted a video here recently of blacktip reef sharks not far from there near spencers beach. We saw 3 of them just a stones throw from shore!

Good news about the rain. My palms are weeded and fertilized so let it pour!

Steve

Looks like fun, Steve! Lots of new palm names for me. I love the look on Steph's face in these pictures, she always looks like she's going to burst out laughing. You two are having too much fun!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Great pics Steve. Looks like you and your family are having a great time with your place. I wish I had a neighbor like Bo. I do have one generous palm neighbor. The offspring of his palms are popping up all over my property. Unfortunately he only has about 30 huge Washies that seed like crazy.

Take care,

Matt

Thanks Matt, We love it there and so far it has been an epic adventure! Don't feel bad, thats the only volunteers I get in SD are Washies and Phoenix.

Steve

Looks like fun, Steve! Lots of new palm names for me. I love the look on Steph's face in these pictures, she always looks like she's going to burst out laughing. You two are having too much fun!

Thanks Kim, Lots of new names for me as well! Alot of palms I never thought I would be growing. We did have an especially good trip this time over there and Steph has WAY too much fun trimming and clearing the forest! She was a big help for sure.

Steve

Steve,

Excellent! It's nice to see more progress on your property. It's got to be very rewarding thinking about all that was done as your flying back to California.

And I see you skipped the part about planting the common species( yawn) and jump right into the rare and exciting. :) Take lots of pictures and keep planting! Very nice.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.