IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Leilani working vacation

Urban Rainforest

Steph and I just got back from another working vacation at our place on the big island of Hawaii and while I did plant some palms and stuff a lot of our focus was carving trails and taking out invasive plants in the back half of our acre. I was able to hack out a nice trail to the back of our property and clear out some other areas for planting. Bo again hooked me up with some VERY NICE plants and here is the list of the palms and others I was able to plant when I was'nt swinging the machete.

Dypsis Decipiens 5 gal.

Dypsis Oropedionis 5 gal.

Dypsis Rivularis "pink crown" 1 gal.

Dypsis Onilahensis 1 gal.

Dypsis "clumping mystery" 1 gal.

Marojejya Darianii 5 gal.

2- Cyrtostachys Renda 5 gal.

Areca Vestiaria 5 gal.

Orania Trispatha 5 gal.

Heterospathe Intermedia 1 gal.

Calyptrocaylyx Elegans 1 gal.

Loxicoccos Rupicola 1 gal.

Kerriodoxa Elegans 2 gal.

Veillonia Alba 2 gal.

I also planted 2 of my favorite fruit trees.

Durian 5 gal.

Jackfruit 5 gal.

And for a little color.

Heliconia "Temptress"

and Heliconia "Mini pink"

Here is a pick of one of my new favorite palms. Dypsis Oropedionis

post-351-1221189055_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

I think this is one of the coolest fronds ever. It's VERY plumose.

post-351-1221189220_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Here is a Dypsis Decipiens I planted in it's new full sun location.

post-351-1221189395_thumb.jpg

Areca Vestiaria

post-351-1221189491_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221189528_thumb.jpg

Orania Trispatha

post-351-1221189747_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221189789_thumb.jpg

Cyrtostachys Renda

post-351-1221189894_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Rivularis "pink crownshaft"

post-351-1221189996_thumb.jpg

Loxicoccos Rupicola

post-351-1221190088_thumb.jpg

Heterospathe Intermedia

post-351-1221190163_thumb.jpg

Calyptrocaylyx Elegans

post-351-1221190247_thumb.jpg

This Mystery Dypsis clumper is similar to Albofarinosa but the stems on the mother tree in Bo's garden are 3 times the dia. of the Albo's.

post-351-1221190449_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Onilahensis

post-351-1221190529_thumb.jpg

I decided to follow Bo's leed with the Kerriodoxa valley so I planted another one near the one I planted last summer.

post-351-1221190680_thumb.jpg

I cleared out this area and the lava formation I uncovered looked almost like a shrine complete with steps so I had to plant a very special palm there. Not having a double coconut I decided to go with Veillonia Alba.

post-351-1221191259_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221191298_thumb.jpg

Palms are'nt the only thing that grows fast in Hawaii, weeds grow like crazy! When we first arrived there were more weeds than BS mans container ranch :mrlooney: . Find the palm.

post-351-1221191575_thumb.jpg

Here are a few of the palms I have planted on previous trips. All have made good growth. Lemur with fading red frond.

post-351-1221192392_thumb.jpg

Mad Fox :drool:

post-351-1221192489_thumb.jpg

New salmon leaf of Calyptrocalyx Leptostachys.

post-351-1221192603_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Saintlucei

post-351-1221192681_thumb.jpg

Orange Crush

post-351-1221192785_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Ceracea, Nauseosa, Tsarovosara... enough with the name changes already!

post-351-1221192950_thumb.jpg

I really rolled the dice with this one. I planted a 3" tandem Dypsis Florenceii entire leaf in March just to see what I could get away with. They are 6" tall and doing fine!

post-351-1221193185_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite palms Dypsis Prestoniana. The petiole base of the newest frond is 3" in dia.

post-351-1221193405_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221193446_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221193493_thumb.jpg

One of my 7 Clinostigma Samoense.

post-351-1221193602_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221193637_thumb.jpg

Bentinkia Condapana starting to trunk.

post-351-1221193770_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221193838_thumb.jpg

What a great looking piece of property and having the lava formation as well. How long would it have been sence lava flowed on your property and how likely is it to happen again anytime soon?

Great photos thanks

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

What a great looking piece of property and having the lava formation as well. How long would it have been sence lava flowed on your property and how likely is it to happen again anytime soon?

Great photos thanks

Mike

Thanks Mike, I have about 30 of these lava tree moulds on my property the biggest being about 20 ft. tall and 12 ft. in dia. I'm not sure when the lava last flowed on my property but it was'nt in recent times because I have very tall Ohia trees on my property and they are quite slow growing. Bo claims there is a 4% chance of another flow in our lifetime.

Steve

Dypsis Faneva

post-351-1221194281_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221194336_thumb.jpg

New red frond of Metroxylon Warburgii.

post-351-1221194438_thumb.jpg

wow! Great looking stuff! You must have spent a lot of time with a shovel in your hand!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Steve,

Great looking pictures, and you're going to have excellent photo records of all the palms you're planting! That'll be a dynamite 'before and after' thread in another couple of years! :) And it was nice to have you and Steph over here again for a couple of weeks. Next time make it a month.... :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

BTW - I planted another Dypsis prestoniana this morning - #12 in the area that I showed you.

Oh, Mike - the most recent lavaflow in this area is estimated to have been about 300 years ago. And it's anyone's guess when the next one will show up. Could be tomorrow morning (probably not! :unsure: ), or it could be another 300 years (more likely - at least I hope!).

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

AS I mentioned before our main focus this time was going into the jungle :blink: and clearing trails and places to plant. Here I am getting ready to take on Tibochina and all other invasive plants :lol: .

post-351-1221195219_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221195270_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221195317_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221195374_thumb.jpg

The forest is very dense with vines, Tibochina and guava trees everywhere. At one point it was raining very hard and my gloves were wet. I swung the machete and it went flying out of my hand and stuck next to my foot :huh: . Scary stuff. Well I could not of finished as much as I did without my ranch hand Steph! Here she is in full mosquitoe garb :lol: .

post-351-1221195828_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221195879_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221195932_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221195974_thumb.jpg

wow! Great looking stuff! You must have spent a lot of time with a shovel in your hand!

Thanks Dave, Actually I spent more time with a machete in my hand. I wish I could have planted more but I'm allready making out my wish list for next time.

Steve

Steve,

Great looking pictures, and you're going to have excellent photo records of all the palms you're planting! That'll be a dynamite 'before and after' thread in another couple of years! :) And it was nice to have you and Steph over here again for a couple of weeks. Next time make it a month.... :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

BTW - I planted another Dypsis prestoniana this morning - #12 in the area that I showed you.

Oh, Mike - the most recent lavaflow in this area is estimated to have been about 300 years ago. And it's anyone's guess when the next one will show up. Could be tomorrow morning (probably not! :unsure: ), or it could be another 300 years (more likely - at least I hope!).

Thanks Bo for the palms and everything else that you have helped Steph and I with!!! We really enjoyed spending time with you and Karolyn but the time just flies by TOO quickly. It sure is nice to go over there and disconect from the rat race! Maybe someday we'll get a one way ticket :winkie: . Thanks again for everything!

Steve

As I began to enter the jungle this song kept playing in my head.

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games

we know all our plants, by there botanical names

were the plant nerds that you see, at the nursery

if you need a Dypsis honey, we got your disease :blink: or it goes something like that :hmm: .

Anyhows here are some before and after pics.

post-351-1221197680_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221197769_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221197865_thumb.jpg

post-351-1221197978_thumb.jpg

This is the first palm I planted in my newly cleared space. It is surrounded by Ohia trees with an opening straight above so it can recieve abundant rainfall. Marojejya Darianii

post-351-1221198200_thumb.jpg

Off to the side I cleared an area in full sun for this Jackfruit.

post-351-1221198419_thumb.jpg

And this Durian.

post-351-1221198504_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Just wondering how you are going to stop weeds or the vines from taking over again?? Here, we mulch heavily for that reason in the wet. Otherwise the weeds will grow twice as fast as the plants...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"