IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Travellers Palm is trunking (In southern CA!)

cagary

After starting it from seed about fifteen years ago, my Ravenala madagascariensis is finally trunking. I cleared away the pups and old brown growth and there it was.

travellers9608004.jpg

travellers9608005.jpg

Any one else growing this in southern CA or elsewhere?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

I sure wish I could grow one here. Your looks great. Congrats.

• Like 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Nice job.....I wish I had the room for that. I was thinking of selling my mature chamaerops humilis and planting one......

• Like 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Now if you could only stop the wind. Then it would look REALLY killer! :D

Looks really healthy.

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Now if you could only stop the wind. Then it would look REALLY killer! :D

Looks really healthy.

I know what you mean about the wind. The Santa Anas will be kicking up soon and the new leaves will get shredded.

I've never seen a photo of one that hasn't got shredded leaves. I'd love to see one growing in some windless area near the equator like Indonesia. I can't imagine how spectacular one would be if it were 30 feet tall and had 30 perfect un-shredded leaves.

Any one ever seen one like that?

• Like 1

That's a beaut. Hold cold has she seen?

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

She has seen 30's for sure during the several winters it has been in the ground including the very cold 2007 winter which she came through with out a scratch (or burn).

It is surrounded on 2 sides with concrete. The four foot wide sidewalk in front and the 15 foot driveway to the side. It also faces due south so it receives good sunlight even in winter. The is a mass of black asphalt in front of it as well ( the street). So over all it is in an ideal location.

• Like 1

Hey, that's a nice clean specimen. Great work for that species in CA. Someone posted a pic of one with 4-6 feet of trunk in SoCal a couple of times.

Here are some taken last December in St. Petersburg, FL at Sunken Gardens:

Brian1378.jpg

Brian1379.jpg

Brian1368.jpg

Trunks:

Brian1258.jpg

These are the most impressive specimens I've seen in my entire life, including Fairchild (althought its close). Worth the price of admission by itself!

These are mabye a 15 mile drive from my house, but the biggest I've seen close to me is about 20' overall, with 4-6 feet of trunk (and flowering, of course). Been meaning to get pics now for months.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

In Singapore big ones exist. Not much wind there, and the leaves are all intact mostly.

Best regards

Tyrone

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

What you need is an indoor one. If only I had a wide angle lens when I took this.

post-39-1220942036_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

WOW! Nice job. The first one I saw was in a hotel on South Beach, Miami. Of course we brought one home an dhave it in a pot. Anyone know how long they can be kept in a pot? We have grown the White Bird of Paradise at our home with no problems but I am afraid the Traverlor's Palm is just a little bit more sensative.

DSCF2124.jpg

• Like 1

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

One that I planted in downtown Carlsbad and two at the northern border with Oceanside, about 5 years ago. Plus one of the four A. purpureas in the same planting.

Picture004.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

• Like 1

Did you do that Gonzer? I remember driving by that area a long time back and figuring I was NOT seeing what I thought I saw! Looks good!

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That's my work Bill, all by my lonesome. Anywhere you see boulders and/or Furcreaeas or non-conformist 'scapes, that's mine. The Ravenela (first pic) behind Fish House Vera Cruz is a monster considering I got right before Palm Mountain went under as a small 15. They're all on bubblers.

• Like 2

Cagary!

I've got lone like yours, only a little bit further behind. No trunk yet, but soon.

Nice fan of leaves.

Mine's a little fatter, though it's on the south side of a building.

dave

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 10 years later...

Hi, 

Great looking Traveler's Tree! Here's another older Traveler's Tree (also in San Diego) at home of one of the members of the Pacific Horticulture Society. This one is incredibly tall...it gives all of us hope! 

SAN DIEGO HOUSE22 copy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Took this photo in Singapore 6 months ago, wish I’d gotten the trunk in it as it was a good 8 meters tall (trunk only) biggest I’ve ever seen.

C3D04074-6419-4EE5-B1ED-C05783728A05.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:50 PM, Harmless Games said:

Took this photo in Singapore 6 months ago, wish I’d gotten the trunk in it as it was a good 8 meters tall (trunk only) biggest I’ve ever seen.

Gorgeous!! I remember seeing some almost as large as the one you photographed when I was in India and Thailand. Someone mentioned seeing Travelers trees without much wind damage to the leaves...in India and Thailand I saw a lot without wind damage and they are indeed incredible specimens!! 

On 2/21/2019 at 7:50 PM, Harmless Games said:

C3D04074-6419-4EE5-B1ED-C05783728A05.jpeg

• Like 2

Here is my three-years-old one. No visible trunk yet, but its leaves make it look massive since they are about 16 feet tall. 

IMG_3566.jpeg

Edited by paquicuba
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ravenala madagascariensis are tough plants in my Florida zone 9b. I bought one about 18 years ago from my local Walmart garden center. It was maybe 5 to 10 (at most) gallon size. Over the years it's seen its share of freezes and frosts down into the very low 20s F.  But it always comes back. My traveler's palms started out as a single plant, but has since put out many more trunked offsets. I also have two other younger clumps of traveler's palms. Below is a photo of my largest clump taken in February of 2009 after a bad freeze a few weeks before. Note a new leaf forming, plus an offset forming on the right.

Late last summer I ordered two Ravenala sp. ambandi from Floribunda. I still have these in pots, but plan to plant them out sometime in June.

BTW, when I first planted my traveler's palm (below) I used to keep track of how many fronds a year it produced. My plant produced between 11-12 fronds a year. A full canopy held about 24 fronds (or so).

The second photo I just happened to take two days ago showing my traveler's palm clump.

Traveler_palm_freeze_damage.jpg

20190326_152312 - Copy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mad about palms

Beautiful specimens! 

Question for those of you with Traveler's Palms: Can you propagate the pups?  I have some pups on one of mine and I'd like to be able to separate them and grow them on their own... any tips or tricks to this?

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, ChrisJordanDDS said:

Beautiful specimens! 

Question for those of you with Traveler's Palms: Can you propagate the pups?  I have some pups on one of mine and I'd like to be able to separate them and grow them on their own... any tips or tricks to this?

I have also been trying to find an answer to this question.  I gave up at one point in fear of damaging the main plant and just cut the pups down to the soil.  That didn't stop them and they are back and beautiful. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, ChrisJordanDDS said:

Beautiful specimens! 

Yes, kinda tricky to cut them on the diagonal next to the trunk (at least large potted specimens) but it can be done.

• Like 2

Mine is about 4 meters tall and gives up pretty large pups annually

RavenalaMadagascariensis.jpg.fbd182406b4169bdf723e8436ecdeeb2.jpg Rav.jpg.b8781df5d944268e95279462cb0f71a1.jpg

It is quite adamant about facing into the sun and has done a 45 degree turn around from it's original positioning in order to accomplish that.

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hurricane Irma partially blew one of my clumping traveler's palms over, but it is starting to turn up again. Does anybody know how many species of traveler's palms there are? I thought there was at least one species that was solitary (not clumping). Also, last July I ordered two small (4" pots) of Ravenala sp. ambandi from Floribunda. These are supposed to have orangish colored petioles. I plan on planting them out soon, so that they get good and established over the rainy season. But  was trying to get more information of this species on line, and I saw at least two other species Ravanala honkondambo and Ravenala guyannesis. I once thought I read there were only two species of Ravanala.. 

Ravanala_madagascariensis_trunks.jpg

Ravenala_sp._ambandi.jpg

• Like 1

Mad about palms

On 4/8/2019 at 4:23 PM, GDLWyverex said:

Mine is about 4 meters tall and gives up pretty large pups annually

RavenalaMadagascariensis.jpg.fbd182406b4169bdf723e8436ecdeeb2.jpg Rav.jpg.b8781df5d944268e95279462cb0f71a1.jpg

It is quite adamant about facing into the sun and has done a 45 degree turn around from it's original positioning in order to accomplish that.

Richard

That's Strelitzia

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2019 at 4:29 AM, Gonzer said:

That's Strelitzia

As in Strelitzia nicolai??

Thanks for the heads up. I'll update the database pronto

Richard

I love Travellers palms that’s why I planned it I’m along my driveway super fast growth in Hawaii.

1166C2D1-0C22-4A28-B7CD-1BC018624193.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 4:29 AM, Gonzer said:

That's Strelitzia

Having just discovered that my Ravenala, that I bought 10 years back, is actually a bird of paradise; I started making inquiries at the local nurseries with the thought in mind of actually getting a Ravenala, and discovered that they are quite expensive.

However,

It seems that the fates have declared that I should become the caretaker such a plant, and, low and behold, I came upon a nursery whose mother plant took a tumble for some odd reason or other and smashed a few of it's pups. I was offered the biggest smashed pups for 30 dollars if I was willing to aid in righting the mother plant and salvaging the other pups that seemed to have survived unscathed.

R.Madagascariensis.jpg.64fcb76181b1bf24b52b5566a3d2e9fa.jpg

It doesn't look like much right now, but it has a very extensive root system and the beginnings of a substantial trunk.

Hope it makes it

Richard

• Like 2