Sign in to follow this  
migacebo

¿Pseudophoenix sargentii or vinifera?

migacebo

Hello, last Friday I found this specimen in a nursery nearby. I think it may be a Pseudophoenix sargentii, but I'm not sure. The Pseudophoenix sargentii and vinifera look very similar at this stage of growth. Provide some photos if someone wants to comment on his identification.

Incidentally, the best price: 20 euros.

post-1758-1220396880_thumb.jpg

post-1758-1220396903_thumb.jpg

post-1758-1220396921_thumb.jpg

I would appreciate any information on crop growth ranges, fertilizer needs, etc..

I know you must have a substrate very draining and irrigation should be more scarce, especially in winter. He likes the sun and resists salinity and wind as a few. Its growth is slow.

Well, I am listening to.

A greeting

PatientPalms

If I had to take a guess... I would say P. sargentii... The viniferas I have seen at that stage are much more elongated and upright...

As far as cultural requirements, these palms grow in sandy loam, mostly sand and very little organic matter... They are also capable of fairly dry environments. But of course regular water and fert always keep things looking their best... Just don't over do it! :)

elHoagie

I agree, it looks like sargentii to me. The very few vinifera I've seen tend to have have much stiffer leaflets, and the leaves are more upright like Bill said.

I purchased several sargentiis this spring that were about the same size as yours. All of them are planted in full sun. I water most of them once every 5-7 days, but one is getting watered once every 3 days. They are all growing at the same rate, so I don't think extra water helps.

Gileno Machado

Nice deal Miguel,

I think my Pseudophoenix strap leaves here will look like yours in some 25 years... :mrlooney:

aztropic

The speciman in question is definately a sargentii.The following pic shows for reference (from left to right) P.sargentii var. navassana - a more robust plant with wider leaflets,a thicker trunk,and marble sized seed.

P. sargentii - standard variety with thin leaflets and pea sized seed.

P. vinifera - notice the upright posture compared to sargentii.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Pseudophoenix001.jpg

aztropic

A pic showing the difference between larger sargentii's / vinifera. The sargentii trunks are self cleaning at this size while the vinifera holds the old boots very tightly.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Pseudophoenix002.jpg

aztropic

My biggest sargentii after exposing some fresh trunk. It is my favorite tree.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

yard088-1.jpg

RainForestt Robert

I want to add a photo of what I believe is P. vinifera. A couple of years ago I posted a photo of this in a 5 gal container. Everyone said it was a Roystonea. I guess the growth was too vigorous. This plant just sat in a pot at the back of my house and was treated badly. It was watered infrequently and never fertilized. Finally I decided to plant it, not on my property but on the empty lot next door. The second day it was planted a cow ate all the leaves, leaving only the spear. I think the palm has recovered nicely. It puts out a new leaf every month. Does anyone still think this is a Roystonea? Seeds were obtained from Leonel Mera in the DR. Definitely not Royal seeds.

DSC_0007.jpg

TikiRick

Robert....Where do I get that shirt you are wearing?

"TEAMWORK: A lot of people doing what I say"

I love that! I believe you have a Roystonea species there.

PatientPalms

I'll second that Roystonea vote... and that request for the tshirt. :D

migacebo

Thank you all for your comments.

Aztropic, your explanation has been very good, thank you for these photos. I think you have much experience with this genre. It's a good legacy for your great-great-grandson. :lol::lol:

Aztropic, how measured the diameter of the trunk of adult? :hmm:

Regards

RainForestt Robert

Found the t-shirt at Wal Mart next to Sawgrass Mills mall.

OK, royal it is then.

Robert

aztropic
Thank you all for your comments.

Aztropic, your explanation has been very good, thank you for these photos. I think you have much experience with this genre. It's a good legacy for your great-great-grandson. :lol::lol:

Aztropic, how measured the diameter of the trunk of adult? :hmm:

Regards

Trunk Diameter on my largest sargentii pic is 20 cm and 30 cm to the start of the crownshaft.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona