IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

¿Pseudophoenix sargentii or vinifera?

migacebo

Hello, last Friday I found this specimen in a nursery nearby. I think it may be a Pseudophoenix sargentii, but I'm not sure. The Pseudophoenix sargentii and vinifera look very similar at this stage of growth. Provide some photos if someone wants to comment on his identification.

Incidentally, the best price: 20 euros.

post-1758-1220396880_thumb.jpg

post-1758-1220396903_thumb.jpg

post-1758-1220396921_thumb.jpg

I would appreciate any information on crop growth ranges, fertilizer needs, etc..

I know you must have a substrate very draining and irrigation should be more scarce, especially in winter. He likes the sun and resists salinity and wind as a few. Its growth is slow.

Well, I am listening to.

A greeting

Datos del aeropuerto de Gando. Vivo a 1 Km

60030.gif

Visita el blog: PALMETUM DE MASPALOMAS

If I had to take a guess... I would say P. sargentii... The viniferas I have seen at that stage are much more elongated and upright...

As far as cultural requirements, these palms grow in sandy loam, mostly sand and very little organic matter... They are also capable of fairly dry environments. But of course regular water and fert always keep things looking their best... Just don't over do it! :)

I agree, it looks like sargentii to me. The very few vinifera I've seen tend to have have much stiffer leaflets, and the leaves are more upright like Bill said.

I purchased several sargentiis this spring that were about the same size as yours. All of them are planted in full sun. I water most of them once every 5-7 days, but one is getting watered once every 3 days. They are all growing at the same rate, so I don't think extra water helps.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Nice deal Miguel,

I think my Pseudophoenix strap leaves here will look like yours in some 25 years... :mrlooney:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

The speciman in question is definately a sargentii.The following pic shows for reference (from left to right) P.sargentii var. navassana - a more robust plant with wider leaflets,a thicker trunk,and marble sized seed.

P. sargentii - standard variety with thin leaflets and pea sized seed.

P. vinifera - notice the upright posture compared to sargentii.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Pseudophoenix001.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

A pic showing the difference between larger sargentii's / vinifera. The sargentii trunks are self cleaning at this size while the vinifera holds the old boots very tightly.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Pseudophoenix002.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

My biggest sargentii after exposing some fresh trunk. It is my favorite tree.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

yard088-1.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

I want to add a photo of what I believe is P. vinifera. A couple of years ago I posted a photo of this in a 5 gal container. Everyone said it was a Roystonea. I guess the growth was too vigorous. This plant just sat in a pot at the back of my house and was treated badly. It was watered infrequently and never fertilized. Finally I decided to plant it, not on my property but on the empty lot next door. The second day it was planted a cow ate all the leaves, leaving only the spear. I think the palm has recovered nicely. It puts out a new leaf every month. Does anyone still think this is a Roystonea? Seeds were obtained from Leonel Mera in the DR. Definitely not Royal seeds.

DSC_0007.jpg

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Robert....Where do I get that shirt you are wearing?

"TEAMWORK: A lot of people doing what I say"

I love that! I believe you have a Roystonea species there.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Thank you all for your comments.

Aztropic, your explanation has been very good, thank you for these photos. I think you have much experience with this genre. It's a good legacy for your great-great-grandson. :lol::lol:

Aztropic, how measured the diameter of the trunk of adult? :hmm:

Regards

Datos del aeropuerto de Gando. Vivo a 1 Km

60030.gif

Visita el blog: PALMETUM DE MASPALOMAS

Found the t-shirt at Wal Mart next to Sawgrass Mills mall.

OK, royal it is then.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Thank you all for your comments.

Aztropic, your explanation has been very good, thank you for these photos. I think you have much experience with this genre. It's a good legacy for your great-great-grandson. :lol::lol:

Aztropic, how measured the diameter of the trunk of adult? :hmm:

Regards

Trunk Diameter on my largest sargentii pic is 20 cm and 30 cm to the start of the crownshaft.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona