IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconuts Possible?

Don_Licuala

I was looking at a new climate map that showed SE California as z10. It is interior, low desert (Imperial County?). Is it possible to grow Cocos nucifera there?

I've found with Cocos that during the coolest period of the year you have to get the plant to at least 20C or 68F on average to do OK, as well as keep frost off of it, and letting it get a tad dry during winter. If that's possible in SE Cal then I can't see why you couldn't grow Cocos there.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE ONE COCOS NUCIFERA IN GROUND IN VALLE DE MEXICALI BAJA CALIFORNIA MÉXICO SOUTH OF THE IMPERIAL COUNTY, I PUT POST ON THIS IN SPRING.

COCOS NUCIFERA - MEXICALI

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Like Cristobal said, it's possible. I think we've seen posts about Cocos growing in the desert. They're still usually stunted and pretty much just a novelty.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I know of 2 in San Diego county, both well over my head.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I saw one near the LA Airport when I was there last May. It was just beginning to trunk, I think.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

George - Any more specific location? I have to check it out if it's there. That area could have an amazing heat island microclimate.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

both coastal,tho,correct?

Yep

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

George - Any more specific location? I have to check it out if it's there. That area could have an amazing heat island microclimate.

osideterry,

I'll do better and show you a pix I took of it at the Travelodge.

post-805-1221840233_thumb.jpg

The building in the far background is the Hilton.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Howeas are our coconuts Paul! zip it

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

looks like a howea to me.

pohonkelapa,

I wish I could say I was just kidding, but it looks like my ignorance of how a Howea looks is showing! :(

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Picture1047.jpg

heres one of the many i am growing in my garden.

So that's in San Diego??????. Really??????.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

i take this morning many fotos of my coco for the end of the summer. now about 1.75 meters - almost 6 feet tall and soon to have the trunk. the blocks are of 200 mm - 8 inchs high.

i put more fotos, coments in the area of discusion of palms in few days.

in 2 weeks i check on my coco in the valle de mexicali - i dont go see it for 4 months (i was in hospital 2 times in july but now i can drive to there). i put fotos when i come back to tijuana.

post-285-1221942605_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Here are a couple pictures of my Cardiff Coconut, its the largest I have in the ground about five years from a sprouted seed.

post-978-1221955614_thumb.jpg

post-978-1221955637_thumb.jpg

I have not removed the old leaf bases (winter insulation) but there is a bout a foot of trunk under them.

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Here are a couple pictures of my Cardiff Coconut, its the largest I have in the ground about five years from a sprouted seed.

I have not removed the old leaf bases (winter insulation) but there is a bout a foot of trunk under them.

Bill, where exactly on the globe are you? Not in Cardiff in Wales I wouldn't think.???

regards

Tyrone

Bill, where exactly on the globe are you? Not in Cardiff in Wales I wouldn't think.???

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone - Cardiff by the Sea California, North of San Diego about 24 miles 3/8 mile from the beach.

Bill

Aloha!

Bill, Well done getting a coconut to grow that far north. What is the coldest it's been at your place, and what winter temp averages do you get? Did you protect it a bit more when it was establishing? Do you feel it is hardening up to the conditions a bit better every year, or do the leaves get a bit damaged to the same extent every year? Just wondering.

Best regards

Tyrone

Picture1047.jpg

heres one of the many i am growing in my garden.

You haven't told me yet. Is this palm growing in So Cal?????

If so, it's tremendous.

Best regards

Tyrone

That looks like SoCal, Indonesia to me... :winkie:

Out of interest, do you ever get lichens growing on palm trunks in SoCal?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

oops,how did that get there? :rolleyes::innocent::blush:

hmmm havent seen any lichen.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Bill, Well done getting a coconut to grow that far north. What is the coldest it's been at your place, and what winter temp averages do you get? Did you protect it a bit more when it was establishing? Do you feel it is hardening up to the conditions a bit better every year, or do the leaves get a bit damaged to the same extent every year? Just wondering.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone - thanks for the Praise, but, I really can't take thew credit. I planted two and this one happens to be in the right micro climate. Southern Exposure against my stucco house. It seems in years past to "yellow - up" during our cool damp winters and then give me three or four nice new green fronds during the summer. Last January I saw two nights of 36F, which is the coldest I have seen since it was in the ground, and the cold has defiantly affected it, this summer I have only received two somewhat stunted fronds, but yesterday a new large spike started pushing, so hopefully this will be a milder winter and it can get back on track. My typical winter lows are around 40 to 41F, I have not given it any special protection ( although in retrospect I wished I had last year).

Mahalo,

Bill

Aloha!

Thanks Bill for the info. Do you feed it often? I was giving mine daily applications of fish and seaweed, with fortnightly application of NPK and trace elements during summer, as well as a few small applications of sea salt. It liked the sea salt. Just lately on warm sunny days I've been giving it seaweed/fish, and it jumps into life after an application. It makes such a difference. I've also given it a small application of iron chelates with the fish/seaweed to help it green up where it has yellowed a bit on the extremities. I'm going to give it plenty of iron this summer, so that it starts from a very dark green point during winter. When I pull the cover off I'll take some pics and post them.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone - thank you for the info, I should give mine a little more TLC than it has gotten in the past. I have another month of warmth for the year so I will try your regiment of feeding to try and give it a boost heading into winter. looking forward to pictures of yours.

Aloha,

Bill

Aloha!

That looks like SoCal, Indonesia to me... :winkie:

Out of interest, do you ever get lichens growing on palm trunks in SoCal?

Daryl

We get lichens growing on tree trunks if they're in a densley planted area (ie better humidity) that never sees sun. We get lichens on rocks too.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"