IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia filifera in far northern Arizona

Eric in Orlando

Here are some Washingtonia filifera growing at the Waheap Marina resort near Page, AZ. This is on Lake Powell and is literally like a mile from the Utah border. Climate maps have this in zone 8. I saw these palms 3 years ago and they have grown since. It was the only ones I saw around, didn't see any others in Page.

100_0329.jpg

100_0397.jpg

Here are some big ones in Tombstone, AZ (far SE AZ) at the old high school, some nice specimens

100_0528.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Hey Eric, nice shots of one of my favorite palms.... I collected seed from those exact Tombstone palms just last year, now growing seedlings. Those palms survived 6F in late 1978 or early 1979. All four survived that winter, the missing forth one died some yrs back, not sure why. As for the palms in N. Arizona, not really that surprised as there are washingtonias even further northeast of Page, into Utah itself (city of St. George). Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

These Tombstone Filifera's make a good example of the hardiness factor over the W. Robusta... below you'll see a picture I took of the same palms in Tombstone and then a picture of some Robusta's just down the road. As the pictures depict, the Robusta's took a good hit from the winter weather - I think the low was 18F that winter... Jv

post-362-1219198246_thumb.jpg

post-362-1219198268_thumb.jpg

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Dear Eric :)

thanks for putting those stills in hi-re mode and they happen to be my favouriate palms too..but i don't like the taller robustas.

Dear Jv :)

thanks for the visuals...

i have these guys in pots but peity they die when planted in the ground...so this time iam growing them in huge pots at the moment.

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Nice photos guys. JV do you think the Washys that were burned in your second photo have a little Filifera in them? there trunks look stout and the crown looks full to be a pure robusta.

I tried seeds froma NV/Utah source of Pure Filifera and had bad results this time last year as the rain and humidity slowly killed all my seedlings off.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Great pictures, and hti soffers hope for those who want pure W. filifera.

Gather seed where the tenderer robustas won't grow.

To get pure robustas, maybe near the Cali seacoast, where the filifera don't do as well?

Hmmm.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Frito, yes I believe there is a hint of filifera in those burnt washy's. It seems difficult to find pure robusta's outside of places like good old downtown LA... when I was there earlier in the year, I grabbed a hand full of seeds off the ground beneath one of those 80' tall suckers! But I prefer to garner pure filifera seed, which are also difficult to come by. Out here in TX, it's nearly impossible. Jv

Those are great specimens Eric. I can't remember if you're trying those at Leu?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Those are great specimens Eric. I can't remember if you're trying those at Leu?

There is a mature one in the Arid Garden. It was planted back in like '88 or '89, about 20ft tall. Two W. robusta were planted at the same time and they got to about 40ft and then killed by lightning, that was alomst 10 years ago. Shows how much faster they are here.

I have a few young ones in the nursery grown from seed from habitat in CA. These are doing well so far. A few years ago I collected wild seed in Nevada but these were not happy.

Here is the one in the Arid Garden, photo is several years old.

39b3.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Frito, yes I believe there is a hint of filifera in those burnt washy's. It seems difficult to find pure robusta's outside of places like good old downtown LA... when I was there earlier in the year, I grabbed a hand full of seeds off the ground beneath one of those 80' tall suckers! But I prefer to garner pure filifera seed, which are also difficult to come by. Out here in TX, it's nearly impossible. Jv

Filifera/robusta hybrids have been very popular here, they have been intentionally cross breeding them for a thicker robusta of more modest proportions for more than a decade. Pure filiferas have notably thicker trunks, and grey green fronds. Generally if you want a filifera, you get one here. Robustas do better here as filifera hybrids, they take the desert dry heat better. There are tons of old filiferas around phoenix, some with many retained green fronds. Robustas burned in the '07 freeze(20F) in outlying areas of phx, the filiferas didnt flinch at all. the phoenix zoo has huge groves of them that you walk through, hard to get pics with 15-20' of beard/skirt hanging in your face. While the U of A has more variety in palms, the Phx Zoo is the best place to view the native filifera outside their natural range, they have a simulated natural environment, no grass nearby. Filiferas just dont do as well near grass in the native clay soils. that said those are some of the best ones I've seen near grass.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Tom, Would love to see any pictures you may have of these filiferas in Phx. I've been meaning to get out there and take a look around for it's been 10 or more yrs since I've been there. It probably won't happen though till next yr... thanks. Jv

Here are 2 W. robusta growing next to my sister's pool in Sierra Vista with snow and cold damage

35c5.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Hey Eric, I think we might have talked about this before but my sisters live in SV as well. In fact from the looks of those houses in the picture above they could be living in the same neighborhood!!! What street does your sister live on? My sisters live on Sahauro Dr. Jv