IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera

bgl

Vice versa, in low tide;

Reef line, exposed:

post-157-1220665028_thumb.jpg

post-157-1220665085_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Old helicopter views. Our property is located 3 km to the left in the first picture:

Most coconut tress still remain today but more than 10% has been put down for new housing developments;

The mangrove, the sugarcane fields and small rainforest leftovers remain untouched, the coconut farm is still shrinking:

post-157-1220665380_thumb.jpg

post-157-1220665424_thumb.jpg

post-157-1220665454_thumb.jpg

post-157-1220665482_thumb.jpg

post-157-1220665612_thumb.jpg

post-157-1220665642_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 2 weeks later...

This was before Lethal Yellowing hit FL, and there had to be tens of thousands of them along Miami Beach.

Sigh. Reading this made me sad. I, too, remember when South Florida was blanketed with Coconut Palms. It was beautiful. Lethal Yellowing combined with rampant overdevelopment has deprived us of a once gorgeous area.

I LOVE coconut waterm I discovered it about 8 months ago during winter, drinking it made me feel warm :)

If you google coconut water - the nnutrition facts you find on it is mind boggling. Im addicted for life.

Gileno, Great pictures!

Bo, lovely sweedish ladies, do they love palms too?

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Bo, great coconut pics, and that's a real nice shot of your granddaughter on that black sand beach!

Here are a few of my favorite pics from Costa Rica. ¡Pura vida!

The main street in Montezuma

DSCF1128.jpg

Coconuts lining a deserted beach on the Osa Peninsula

DSC_1390.jpg

South of Dominical near Uvita

P1190001-1.jpg

Manuel Antonio beach

P8020043-1.jpg

Manuel Antonio's coconuts are jusy gorgeous, goreous, gorgeous! Breathtaking! Wonderful photo!

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Another favorite place of mine with plenty of coconuts - the hot pond near Pohoiki, about 15 minutes away from us. Sandra and Susanna - our weekend visitors from Sweden - for scale!

post-22-1222069901_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 4 weeks later...

Two coconuts at the edge of an estuary. There's a big croc that lives in there.

P9270100.jpg

Closeup

P9270098.jpg

And a bunch of tall ones in front of another property down the beach a little further.

P9270106.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

• 3 weeks later...

Those are all great pictures. And something special about the photo in post #91 - very artistic! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Those are all great pictures. And something special about the photo in post #91 - very artistic! :)

I've passed the compliment on to my wife who took the shot with the coco palm shadow and half of the other pics. She dose have a talented eye.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Nice pics from all.

I could post many with the similar scenery from Fiji but will just show a couple.

This is one of a working copra plantation on Taveuni Island.

post-710-1225835432_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

This variation is called 'Niuyabia'

It is uncommon here and as tall as other coconuts but with fronds that have distinctly drooping and clustered leaflets. The nuts are same as others.

There is also a variety called 100 coconuts that has bunches of small nuts of only about 4 to 6 inches round with large numbers on each; hence the local name of 'one hundred coconuts' or 'niudrau'.

At least 12 coconut varieties have been recognised in Fiji.

post-710-1225835682_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Jim,

Those copra plantations on Taveuni are really impressive. :) There must be hundreds of thousands of coconutpalms...what a sight!

Bo-Göran

I want to belatedly thank Jeff in Costa Rica for his pics of the coconuts along the beach in C.R. It shows how much more beautiful they can be where the tree butchers don't keep coming along to cut off fronds the way they do here in Hawai'i, at least in public places like along streets and in parks. This country has become too lawsuit happy for any city, county, or state property here in Hawai'i to risk something falling onto someone or their car. Some of the ones Bo showed are on private property near the ocean where trimming is at a minimum. I always shout obscenely in my car when I see freshly "trimmed" coconuts with seven or eight fronds like a shaving brush at the top. Ths invariably leads to permanent damage to the tree if it is so extreme, resulting in pinched trunks or "penciling" of the trunks. Bad, Bad!

Garrin, a true lover of every coconut palm I see.

garrin in hawaii

Garrin, I hate to see palms severely pruned. They do that in Florida too. At my old office park, there were some old Queen palms growing there that had been severely pruned for many years causing them to pencil-neck, get diseased, and were eventually removed and replaced with Sabals. They over-prune the Sabals now too!

I can understand why they prune Coconuts in the lawsuit-happy US. Last night I had to run up to the other house and was walking under this coconut palm (on the left). It was dark and raining and I heard a loud sound and thought it was a coconut falling so I started to run and when I looked back, a huge dead frond had fallen off and came crashing down where I had just been walking. That thing could have caused some damage! I've had two close calls with falling coconuts and now a falling frond. That's probably my destiny, to get killed by a palm! :lol:

PB050026.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica