IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera

bgl

Bo, you live in paradise. I can't wait till I visit your part of the world again! I was out fishing and took this shot of one of the surfing spots here in Port with some palms in the background, anyone care to guess what species?

Cheers

Mike

post-250-1219210555_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Mike,

I can barely make out the palms, so this will be a stab in the dark: A. alexandrae. And here's a photo I forgot to post. Also taken earlier today, in Kalapana of some of the local coconut palms and my favorite tiki (it must be 12 ft tall!).

Bo-Göran

post-22-1219216662_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Here are a few equatorial cocos in Boa Vista, Roraima. I drove by this horse ranch yesterday and thought that it was a nice sight.

dk

post-188-1219233330_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Mike, Are they bangalows? Are they wild? Pretty cool.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Bo - thanks for all the Pics of Kalapana, sorry to hear about Verna's one of my favorite lunch spots, my wife and I planted 7 Coco's at the beach there about 4 years ago and have made a couple of trips since then to "water the palms".

Mahalo,

Bill

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Bo,

What's the status of that big crack/rift on the south side of the island?

Last time I was on Big Island, it was a frequent topic of conversation.

Thanks,

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Bill - the new owner, "Kalapana Village Cafe", is just as good as when Verna's ran the place, so nothing has been lost. And I checked out the menu yesteday - they still have plate lunches!

John - not sure what crack you're referring to. If it's the rumor that the southern part of the island will slide into the Pacific Ocean, then that's just an "urban myth" (or maybe it would be a "rural myth" in this case? :huh: ). What WILL happen eventually is that the new volcano, Loihi, which is still about 1000 ft below the surface of the water (and already a 15,000 ft tall mountain!!) will eventually surface, and after X amount of time join with the Big Island, making it even larger. But that could be another 300,000 years or so.

I think we need more coconut pictures now! And where's Gileno when you need him...!? :lol:

EDIT: And Bill, welcome to the PalmTalk Forum! :) Just noticed that was your first post!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I love urban myths...and that was the one I was talking about!

I probably won't be around for the super island, though....too bad :rolleyes:

Bo,

What's the status of that big crack/rift on the south side of the island?

Last time I was on Big Island, it was a frequent topic of conversation.

Thanks,

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Another shot with plenty of coconut palms. This is the view from the Rainbow Tower (25th floor or so) at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki Beach. (The Hawaii Visitors Bureau should be paying good money for this kind of PR! :lol: ). Diamond Head in the background.

post-22-1219285946_thumb.jpg

Coconut lined path leading to the overwater bungalo we stayed at on Moorea. I thought I had lost these as they are from our first digi cam over 6 years ago!

post-351-1219290574_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Moorea Coconuts with Tahiti in the background.

post-351-1219290779_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Bill - the new owner, "Kalapana Village Cafe", is just as good as when Verna's ran the place, so nothing has been lost. And I checked out the menu yesteday - they still have plate lunches!

John - not sure what crack you're referring to. If it's the rumor that the southern part of the island will slide into the Pacific Ocean, then that's just an "urban myth" (or maybe it would be a "rural myth" in this case? :huh: ). What WILL happen eventually is that the new volcano, Loihi, which is still about 1000 ft below the surface of the water (and already a 15,000 ft tall mountain!!) will eventually surface, and after X amount of time join with the Big Island, making it even larger. But that could be another 300,000 years or so.

I think we need more coconut pictures now! And where's Gileno when you need him...!? :lol:

EDIT: And Bill, welcome to the PalmTalk Forum! :) Just noticed that was your first post!

Bo - Thanks for the welcome and aloha. Here are some "Coco" pictures from the Big Island and a Grove my neighbors growing in La Paz.

Bill

post-978-1219335129_thumb.jpgl La Paz Grove

post-978-1219335243_thumb.jpg 7 New Palms on " Kalapana Beach"

post-978-1219335440_thumb.jpg "Making Squid Luau" south of Hilo

Aloha!

Coconuts are my true heaven. They are the ambassadors of the tropics in my opinion. Everywhere in the tropics I have been, I always go back to thinking about the coconut palms there.

When I bought my place in 2000 here in Ft. Lauderdale, I pondered the thought of having a monotypic garden with just coconuts and importing white sand beneath them. I love the feeling of being beneath a grove of coconuts, just relaxing in the dappled light, listening to them rustle.

However, reality came back and I thought, I'd quickly be spoiling it with Veitchias, Dictyospermas, and Ptychospermas. Who was I kidding? :) A collector with a monotypic garden?

Edited by TikiRick

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

When I bought my place in 2000 here in Ft. Lauderdale, I pondered the thought of having a monotypic garden with just coconuts and importing white sand beneath them. I love the feeling of being beneath a grove of coconuts, just relaxing in the dappled light, listening to them rustle.

That exactly what this bar in jupiter did, great views of the lighthouse, sand floors, plastic seats and only coconut palms, they pack them in there. What a frigin money maker!

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Here's a photo from this evening around sunset.

Looking straight up

DSC_1910.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Yes Bo the palms in the picture are Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. Tyrone, these are one of many palm groves you get along the east coast.

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I remembered Bo's cocnut thread while driving north on BR 174 in Roraima going to Boa Vista yesterday. The trip was a round trip to Rorainopolis 300 kms each way. We were in an area with some nice cocnuts as the sun was descending and the light had a that late afternoon equatorial glow to it. The first cocnumts that caught my attention were these by a farm house. A little bit further up the road I saw a nice group of coconuts planted by the side of the road mixed with some native Attalea maripas. I am a long way from the ocean, but coconuts grow quite well here. And, it was a lovely afternoon drive through palm land. The last picture ended up being a shadow self portrait as well.

dk

post-188-1219402218_thumb.jpg

post-188-1219402334_thumb.jpg

post-188-1219402551_thumb.jpg

post-188-1219402776_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Late afternoon shots are always kind of special! And it's really fascinating how coconut palms have spread throughout the tropical world (maybe from a beginning point some place in the SW Pacific Ocean?), including to places that are far away from an ocean.

post-978-1219509043_thumb.jpgBo - here is a California Coco, 5 years from a Big Island seed.

Bill

Aloha!

Late afternoon shots are always kind of special! And it's really fascinating how coconut palms have spread throughout the tropical world (maybe from a beginning point some place in the SW Pacific Ocean?), including to places that are far away from an ocean.

Bo,

The consumption of green coconuts for coco water, agua de coco, is so large here in Manaus that coconuts even come from Belem, 1,800 kms from Manaus. There are some fairly large plantations out of town that are now producing nuts for this market. There is nothing any better for thirst than ice cold coco water on a hot tropical day.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, I agree, on a hot day there is nothing better! Here they call it agua de pipa and it's sold just about everywhere. I hear that Coke and Pepsi are now developing a sports drink from it. If it becomes the next fitness drink craze, there will be a lot more plantations.

Here are some facts about coconut water from a local article:

It's more nutritious than whole milk. It has less fat and no cholesterol

It's one of the highest levels of electrolytes known to man

It contains lauric acid which is present in human mother's milk

It's healthier than orange juice and lower in calories

It's naturally sterile - water permeates through the filtering husk

It's a natural isotonic beverage with the same level of electrolytic balance as we have in our blood. In fact during the Pacific War of 1941-45 both sides of the conflict regularly used coconut water - siphoned directly from the nut - to give emergency blood transfusion to wounded soldiers.

According to the Chief of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, "Coconut water is the very stuff of nature, biologically pure, full of natural sugars, salts, and vitamins to ward of fatigue...and is the next wave of energy drinks BUT NATURAL!"

Coconut water contains more potassium (at about 294mg) than most sports drinks (117 mg) and most energy drinks.

Coconut water has less sodium (25mg) where sports and energy drinks have around 41mg and energy drinks have about 200mg!

Coconut water has 5mg of Natural Sugars where sports and energy drinks range from 10-25mg of Altered Sugars.

Coconut water is high in Chloride at 118mg compared to sports drinks at about 39mg.

I guess we should all be drinking this stuff!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Here is a pic of a couple rogue coconuts standing as sentinels overlooking this vast oceanic view! Now if I could just remember where this was :blink: .

There are a couple of tall coconut palms alone on a mountainside overlooking a small cove on the road to Hana, in Maui, at a similar elevation (about 400-500 feet). The story is that a 12'+ tsunami launched them up there about 44 years ago. Since there's no obvious way for them to have gotten there otherwise (no trails, no other cocos in the vicinity higher than sea level), the story sounds good to me.

Regards,

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

Jeff,

Thanks for the information. Here in Brazil they have been selling packaged coconut water for some years and have been quite successful. I am going to increase my consumption of coconut water based on your information. Virgin coconut oil is also quite good for you.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I've also read that coconut oil, the pure stuff, not the hydrogenated inferior stuff is antiviral, and reportedly has the ability to fight and cure AIDS. There is one report on the net of a young indian girl born with HIV, who after taking high levels of pure coconut oil went from HIV positive to HIV negative. Incredible palms these coconuts.

I love the coconut palm. Mine's made it through winter still pushing spears. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Jeff,

That's fascinating, and potentially very useful information! Have to find out if coconut water is available here in Hawaii.

Bo-Göran

Eyes glued to those palms

Cocos are absolutly my favorite palm. Its hard to compare with them. They are just perfect.

Its been years since I have seen large coconuts, its trip time.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Great thread folks...appreciated the photos a lot.

Bo, it is almost incredible that you don't have coconut water available for sale everywhere in Hawaii, with such lovely palms. Up here in NE Brazil we can't survive without it !!

When I travel abroad it is the only drink that I miss a lot because I usually only drink fresh coconut water at home and restaurants, with meals.

When I meet you in Rio, I'll have to take you one of these coco openers (local technology for green dwarves). It is very practical, fast and clean job to use.

post-157-1219605994_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Frontyard, a little neglected for the winter, with our new dog, a Weimaraner female puppy named...."Tahina" (Tah-tah) :lol:

post-157-1219606499_thumb.jpg

green dwarf "Paraíba"

post-157-1219606871_thumb.jpg

Oh come on...bring my coconut back !

post-157-1219606976_thumb.jpg

Orange dwarf seedlings from Ivory Coast:

post-157-1219607091_thumb.jpg

Gileno,

I am glad that you surfaced on this thread as you live in the kingdom of coconuts.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Jeff, great shot! Love those beach photos! :)

And Gileno, glad to see you decided to join us here....and cute dog! :)

This is not exactly a beach shot, but at least it's down by the ocean, near the small village of Opihikao, about 20 minutes away from here. Oh, and that's Nina and Stina, both 19 and both visiting Hawaii for the very first time (from Sweden). I have been their tour guide for the last three days (self-imposed assignment... :) ). Before they arrived here at our place they spent a few days on the Kona side where our Moderator graciously decided to be their tour guide. That's what happens when you live in Hawaii...!

post-22-1219899222_thumb.jpg

Interesting info about coconut water. I'm assuming that to get most nutritious water you'd need to harvest from the tree rather than after the nut falls to the ground. I'll be looking at the monster one in my yard a bit differently from now on, but won't be climbing it anytime soon. Not anxious to be in the 'Memorial' section of this board, at least not now anyway.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I`d add a few leftover pictures from last summer in Sirinhaém. I've just found these in the laptop computer:

Old coconut farm:

post-157-1220663290_thumb.jpg

post-157-1220663379_thumb.jpg

Walking in the neighbourhood:

post-157-1220663541_thumb.jpg

post-157-1220663625_thumb.jpg