IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Well, the funniest thing happened....

BS Man about Palms

Some of you may have caught a snippet that I was gonna go get mulch at our Oceanside green waste reclaimation plant. For local residents, you can shovel all you want for free, anytime. some thing like 7 different types of mulch or bedding material. From super fine compost to lumber chunked mulch (or close)

Anywho, on the first and 3rd Saturdays THEY will fill your truck (residents) for 2 dollars a truckload. The rest of the time you pay full price for them to load, (still reasonable at no more than 20 dollars a truckload) Well, I had some good energy and decided to make 2 trips in a day (9-12am) When I went back for my second load, some other guys in trucks were getting mulch too. While we were all tying down our tarps I heard the other two talking and it was obvious they knew each other. One said "I need to sell you a palm", the other guy said, "No way, I got too many." I bit my lip for a minute then said "I sure don't need to buy any more palms either". They both looked at me and said they probably had something I didn't have. I just laughed and said I had over 125 species at least and then both their jaws dropped and they wanted to know what I had, I rattled off a few names, then they said "You DO have some cool stuff" ! Then one said he had about 200 species. We all came closer and started talking.

Well, It turns out I had stumbled upon Mark McGinnis (The owner of the "Oceanside cocconut" palm) and his good friend Stirling. After realising I had been to Marks house, but he wasn't there, I invited them to my "Container Ranch". Well Mark had to make another appointment, but Stirling followed me to my place just over a mile away. I showed him around and he liked a lot of stuff. When we finished, he helped me unload my mulch! About that time, Mark rolled up., he helped too!

So, next I went to Stirlings place after I showed Mark around too, (Stirling left as Mark showed up.) Stirling carves Tikis , sells palms and has a cool Jungle right at the I-5 and SR-76 junction. I didn't have my camera or I would have posted a few pics. After Stirlings, I went home, got my camera and went to Marks. Stirling came by an hour later. Great day!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

SO, Heres the pic Ashton and Danny want!!!

oscoco001.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Marks not the tallest guy, but I would still put the height at close to 12' overall.

oscoco003.jpg

Two great guys with very nice palms for sale!!

What a great day. It's amazing how and where you meet someone. And what a great deal on the mulch, Bill.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

C'mon Bill, that's like a photo of a Bigfoot's footprint, nice, but where's the rest of it? Let's see the WHOLE plant in one photo! :lol:

C'mon Bill, that's like a photo of a Bigfoot's footprint, nice, but where's the rest of it? Let's see the WHOLE plant in one photo! :lol:

Listen Greg- your name came up yesterday as one of the "Oceanside" boyz...... :mrlooney:

But this is as close to to the butt as I got.

oscoco002.jpg

Bill, you are like the hastula of a giant fan palm. Mr. Network. Looks like I'm missing out up here in Lake Tahoe this week. Dang!

I've think I've seen Stirling's place from Hwy 76... is it on the North side of the San Luis Rey, and tiered in multi-levels hugging the slope?

The big question: What is Mark's microclimate like? Was it planted before January 07?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Bill!

O-Side Boyz!

U Have Emboldened Me!

To go to Home Depot and Rent a coconut . . ..

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bill!

O-Side Boyz!

U Have Emboldened Me!

To go to Home Depot and Rent a coconut . . ..

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What a cool story. I know there must be a palm fanatic or a few somewhere around here, but I have yet to run into one in that fashion. Must be fun.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Bill, you are like the hastula of a giant fan palm. Mr. Network. Looks like I'm missing out up here in Lake Tahoe this week. Dang!

I've think I've seen Stirling's place from Hwy 76... is it on the North side of the San Luis Rey, and tiered in multi-levels hugging the slope?

The big question: What is Mark's microclimate like? Was it planted before January 07?

Thats exactly the place, Terry. Mark remembered your "7 miles east of the pier" bit as he used to come on palmtalk a couple years back. Both Mark and Sterling said they would try to join or at least check it out.

Marks place is just close enough to the coast, has the freeway and his paved street, corner and alley all around and so I think he was at least a degree or two warmer than me. He's just west of the 5, between O'side blvd and the 78.

Edit: as mentioned I forgot my camera at Sterlings (plus I see I spelt his name wrong) but he started a thread with pics of his "jungle", very cool!

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...c=13555&hl=

• 1 year later...

Heres an update. I happened to stop by Marks this afternoon. This is a GOOD looking coconut, So Cal or not!!!

post-27-1252979671_thumb.jpg

Then here is Mark between his coco and his other stroke of luck. He happened to get a Foxy lady in with his Veitchia triples from a big supplier in So Cal....

post-27-1252979759_thumb.jpg

Now along with the Newport Coco, and the Del Mar Coco we can make claim to having an Oceanside Coconut. I'm so proud.

His wife is quite a sport for going along with the shade cloth. That would be a tough sell.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Bill,

Great story - enjoyed it! Maybe you should get mulch more often... :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Bill :)

Nice stills,but in my observation that palm has been planted too close to the house and if that plam is going to grow up into a tall tree its gona break lots of things in that house.And i have some unforgetable experience with these palms. :blink:

Lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Bill:

That is some significant growth between last year and today. The palms looks robust and, well, huge. Nice Foxy Lady as well. How cold does he get in the winter time? There are some wacky micro climates in the Oceanside area, he must be in a warm one, no? Also, what variety of coconut is that?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Kris- I think the house is what is keeping it warm.

John-I suspect last winter he may have seen 38 once or twice. As for variety, not sure, but I suspect the Home Depot kind.... :lol:

Interesting saga Bill but most of all I am eating my heart out over the ultra cheap/free mulch. I have to drive 7klms and put bales of lucerne in the boot of the car, the back seat and the passenger seat, leaving barely enough room to move my arms enough to steer......and pay a fortune for the privilege. I have the only real garden on the entire block and have never met a keen gardener let alone another palm lover. It would be great to be able to go and see other palm gardens around the city and get advice (and give some) from experienced palm growers in person instead of relying solely on the internet.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Nice, that palm looks fantastic! My Cocos went downhill in a hurry at the end of spring this year (May - June). I think it was ready to start growing, and the cold weather we had during that stretch was too much for it. It's staging a comeback, but it's going to run out of warm weather pretty soon. I have a feeling this will be its last winter...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Nice, that palm looks fantastic! My Cocos went downhill in a hurry at the end of spring this year (May - June). I think it was ready to start growing, and the cold weather we had during that stretch was too much for it. It's staging a comeback, but it's going to run out of warm weather pretty soon. I have a feeling this will be its last winter...

Jack - Pushing Zones too much :blink::badday::violin:

Just like the rest of us :lol:

Best regards,

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

SO, Heres the pic Ashton and Danny want!!!

oscoco001.jpg

I trimmed an estate with 16 coconuts with 14' GW all day and filled my largest dumptruck with fronds and debris. I'll have nightmares tonight after seeing the picture of the coconut tree next the house. I think coconuts are the largest weeds that gardeners love to grow.

Chip in Ft. Lauderdale