IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CFPACS Fall Meeting

Bob Johnson

post-739-1218672618_thumb.jpg

What: CFPACS Fall Meeting • Garden tours, auction and sale

When: September 20, 2008 • 10:30 am - 3 pm

Where: St. Petersburg, Florida

Meeting Schedule

10 am CFPACS Board Meeting

10:30 - noon Phil Stager’s Garden, 4184 51st Ave. S., St. Petersburg

Noon Lunch on your own

1:15 Mike & Marjorie Evans’ Garden, 6015 - 100th Way N., St. Petersburg

2:00 Auction & sale

All PalmTalkers are invited to come out for a fun day of garden tours, auction, sale, refreshments and conversation with fellow Palmateers. Our first stop is Phil Stager’s garden, started nearly 20 years ago and containing 55 palm species, 8 bamboo species and over 200 varieties of crotons. Our afternoon garden tour, auction and sale will be at Mike & Marjorie Evans’ garden (Mikein FL). The Evans’ garden is 9 years old and contains over 70 species of palms as well as various cycads, bamboo and ferns. More details will be available at the CFPACS web site. Hope to see you there!

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

post-739-1218676255_thumb.jpg

Our first stop will be Phil Stager's garden n South St. Pete. The many crotons in Phil's garden look very happy in the dappled light - their fiery colors stand out against the serene background of gray palm trunks and green palm and cycad leaves. That chair at the end of the walkway looks like an inviting place to set for a spell and take in the lushly planted surroundings.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

post-739-1218677019_thumb.jpg

As if the hundreds of crotons were not enough, a newly unfurled Chambeyonia macrocarpa frond greets garden visitors as they wander down this pathway.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

post-739-1218677563_thumb.jpg

Looking up into the canopy at Phil's - Roystonea and Bismarckia tower above.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

post-739-1218677867_thumb.jpg

After a relaxing lunch with old and new friends, we are off to the garden of Mike and Marjorie Evans for more palm touring, our auction and sale. A pair of Dioon spinulosum, various palms and tree ferns greet us as we enter the driveway.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

post-739-1218678313_thumb.jpg

This silver Bismarckia nobilis stands out in the midst of numerous green-leaved palms and cycads.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

post-739-1218678701_thumb.jpg

Various Dioons, cacti and other xeric plants take advantage of this sunny opening in the canopy.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

post-739-1218678968_thumb.jpg

Roystonea and live oaks form a shady canopy over most of the Evans's garden, providing ideal growing conditions for smaller palms and cycads. A slightly tattered but very robust traveler's 'palm' - Ravenala madagascariensis - can be seen growing to the left of the center Royal.

After we have had our fill of the visual feast of palms and other tropical plants, we will conclude our day with an opportunity to take home some new additions to our own gardens through the auction and sale. The Evans' have a large container nursery on site, which will add even more variety to the plants available for purchase.

CFPACS meetings are open to all palm enthusiasts, you do not need to be a member to attend. Come enjoy a day with people that are as passionate about palms as you are. I hope to see you there!

(Thanks to Phil Stager and Mike & Marjorie Evans for hosting our coming meeting and for providing photos of their respective gardens)

Edited by Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Those gardens look very well maintained. Everyone should have a great time. Wish I could attend.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Wish you could come too, Robert, but I know that it would be a bit of a trek! :lol:

For many more pics of Mike & Marjorie's St. Pete Paradise, see the other thread here here on PalmTalk.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Planning on attending!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

The Evans' garden is fantastic and Phil Stager's croton collection is staggering.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

The Evans' garden is fantastic and Phil Stager's croton collection is staggering.

Ray,

After attending the croton society meeting a few weeks back, have you talked to anyone up there or seen this new croton scale on plants in your area?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Nothing up here yet but everyone I know has been applying the Bayer systemic religiously. It will make it here sooner than later I'm sure. A recent article in Florida Gardening magazine says the scale is easy to eradicate. That's true if you take the time to treat the plants but most homeowners won't care if their plants die or not. In a worst case, crotons will become strictly a collectors plant just as Cycas revoluta has become.

Ray

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

The meeting is this Saturday. An added bonus will be a Syagrus X Costae. I thought this was a S. Coronata when I planted it, but it turned out to be a hybrid. Bring a shovel & dig it for FREE. I have a large tree dolly to move it to a truck. PM me & I will post if it is taken. Bring a sharp shovel & truck.

post-112-1221426540_thumb.jpg

post-112-1221426591_thumb.jpg

The Syagrus X Costae is spoken for. Happy digging.

The Syagrus is now available again. You need a trailer to transport it. This palm is ~ 16 - 20 ' tall.

The Syagrus is now available again. You need a trailer to transport it. This palm is ~ 16 - 20 ' tall.

How cold hardy would you think this palm to be?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hi everyone, I was really hoping to make it to this meeting, but I'm too far behind in studying for my US medical licensing exam coming up in 2 weeks. Just really bad timing and I'm quite upset. I will not miss another one for sure.

Someone enjoy palms twice as much for me (and someone else buy twice as many at the auction/sale ;) )

Brian

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Mike-

If its not grabbed tomorrow by someone else, I will come back a different day with a trailer.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Here are a few pics of the palm auction, for those of you that did not make it. Good turnout & good weather. Phil Stager, as usual, running the auction. He makes a good auctioneer. Larry in rare form w/ the proper attire.

post-112-1222027914_thumb.jpg

post-112-1222027961_thumb.jpg

post-112-1222027986_thumb.jpg

I took a palm buddy along for the ride and visit and he had as great of a time as I did.

Pictures to follow!

Phil's place is absolutely wonderful with the towering palms providing filtered light for tons of species of crotons.

Mike and Marge's place is a palm wonderland. Garden art is woven artistically among the thousands of palms. Thanks Mike, Marge, and Phil for a great visit!!!! :rolleyes:

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

It looks like it was a great meeting, I am glad to see pictures of the event since I was unable to attend. CFPACS always has top notch PRA's and it is nice to see the tradition continue.

Ryan

South Florida

• 3 weeks later...

Mike-

Here is the x costae in its new home. We planted at the end of my parents driveway in the median by the street. It looks great!

xcostae3.jpg

xcostae2.jpg

And, just for yucks, heres another of your palms. Remember when my father bought a dozen of those Archontophoenix from you about 2 years ago? Here is what they look like now. These get full sun all day long and as such have developed into very stout palms.

archonto.jpg

Larry 

It looks good there. I wondered if you ever made it home. Here are a few pics of the palm w/ Larry's truck. No flat tires? Tickets? I won't try this at home again.

post-112-1223824255_thumb.jpg

post-112-1223824273_thumb.jpg

Larry...it looks great! Keep it watered!!!

You and pops coming down for the November sale?

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

My father's truck has carried far bigger and heavier palms without fail. The mudflaps werent even scarping the ground with this palm :)

We put a soaker hose ont he palm right after planting, so its staying drenched.

Thanks again Mike!

Larry 

You and pops coming down for the November sale?

What date is it?

Larry 

That looks great. Nice job.

Nice job on the move. I wouldn't have been much help with a palm that size ;). My gosh, those kings look fantastic! How big were they when planted? Where do your parents live again? I need more of those!!!

Thanks again for all the cool stuff Larry. Nothing has skipped a beat. I'll keep you updated on everything's progress.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

My gosh, those kings look fantastic! How big were they when planted? Where do your parents live again? I need more of those!!!

Heres the only shot I have of any of them, from 2006 when they were planted. They were in 7 gallon pots and didnt have any trunk yet.

My parents live in Palm Harbor.

post-200-1224152530_thumb.jpg

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Thanks again for all the cool stuff Larry. Nothing has skipped a beat. I'll keep you updated on everything's progress.

Cool! Im glad you are able to enjoy the freebies!

Larry 

Larry, you sure have beautiful palms up there! That archonto - mmm, that is nice!

Sure wish we could have made it to the CFPACS meet - looking forward to the Melbourne event, are you going?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good