IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinanga javana

Jim in Los Altos

I gave up on them here in the Bay Area. It’s too cool here. Pinanga philipinensis, on the other hand does great for me. I have one in the shade that I planted three years ago and it’s growing well with no winter setbacks ever.  

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Adam, 

It’s once again it’s coming out of a cool winter with leaf spotting; etc. it’s also having to do a pretty good bend to escape the overhang. You’d think the gardener would’ve thought about that when planting it. Hard to find good help these days. :)

E1538C77-A44B-4411-8370-31E1FD16E74A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Mine died in the freak freeze of 2017. What a freeze it was. My roebellinis burnt bad and so did my Syzygiums. P dicksonii failed but I still have 2 coronatas going albeit diminished. It was a lovely palm while it lasted.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 5/5/2016 at 7:28 PM, Cindy Adair said:

I remember now why I don't photograph this poor palm much! The cattle find it a nice side dish to sample near their main course of Areca vestiarias. It also housed a wasp's nest earlier this year. I am pretty savvy these days but not that day when I tapped the leaves with my walking stick while I was touching the palm! Negative reinforcement of luckily only one sting helps to make me remember. Of course the nest is long gone as I dispatched it the next morning.

Anyway, this one was unceremoniously stuck in the ground tiny as usual in June 2012. Hope one day it will look like the beauties you all were kind enough to post here! Thanks!

DSCN0307.thumb.JPG.b5bba58eede2208d6b885

No idea if this one made it through hurricane Maria... I moved to another farm but still wear the hat in the photo!!

And I have lots of other Pinangas but not that one.

Cindy Adair

Drool ...great looking java dave .thanks for the update this is such a nice palm to grow if you are able to. See you at the next pssc meeting 

• Upvote 1

Bret your javana is gettin good size. It looks great after our long wet winter we have  had . My gardener did the same thing with dypsis florencii aka mitabilis i had to squeeze the top around the roof edge . Sometimes you just don't expect a palm to grow so well. Cheers

Here they are matt 2nd one on left still has a couple ft before hitting full sun. Not sure they will handle  the  sun well  anyway I purchased the one on right as florencei and the left one was sold to me as paludosa . The new name is D. mirabilis these days  been in ground since 1 gallon size 

15579593302296914390723013988772.jpg

15579598748611727768456152448011.jpg

15579599458596839511737478287232.jpg

15579600211542283615565167193267.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Here’s my Pinanga philipinensis after three years in the ground from a very small 1 gallon plant. It’s a welcome change from my disasterous record trying to grow P. javana in a too cool climate. A7EF77FB-DB5F-4CA6-AD40-9E85639C4FD9.thumb.jpeg.e2414ea6f2d9b68020ef18e4f6ae8415.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Thanks matt its one of. My favorites. I planted it facing north in bright light and good drainage. I had another one in not so good drainage and it never really looked good.

• Like 1

My two Javanas have been in the ground for a few winters from 4" pots. They are under a lot of canopy and aren't much to look at but are growing steady. 

5rZtLMgzQ7KfS1fVLId4ZQ.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sweet to see the palms in this thread doing so well in Ca. They look darn good!

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 4 years later...
21 hours ago, Billeb said:

Can we get an update on these? I’ve got 3 small FB plants and I’m thinking about planting them as a group.  🤔

Matt, Bret, Dave….and whomever else has these growing. @Matt in OC @quaman58 @DoomsDave

Thanks. 

-dale 

Your weesh’ ees’ my command sire!

Here’s one from north to south 

18786092-F1C4-404B-A735-8066EB40F6DF.thumb.jpeg.f86f763c64dc6b7b0d5cccb03a2150f8.jpeg

and same palm from opposite direction 

11A86DA7-FDB9-4CBB-AC7E-26AAE8510C78.thumb.jpeg.025c4536e1d457ca30e66905a7a17763.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I don’t remember what exactly happened but I don’t think they were ever terribly happy for me. They probably got burned one winter and I tore them out. 😞 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

I don’t remember what exactly happened but I don’t think they were ever terribly happy for me. They probably got burned one winter and I tore them out. 😞 

Try some again! Maybe get a couple-three. They should do better than for me, since you're nearer the beach and the higher humidity it provides.

And, try some Ptychospermas!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:46 PM, Matt in OC said:

Matt & @DoomsDave, I wonder if it’s due to sun exposure? Matt, yours looked like they were planted in an area of heavy shade. After resurrecting this thread I forgot to mention @-2 brian has a great looking one in a bunch of sun. I think people hear Pinanga and think shade but pretty sure Javana can withstand more sun that once thought.

-dale 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has done well for me, somewhat exposed to the elements as far as sun and cold (at least the sun & cold I get in OC coastal)  and it doesn't seem to be bothered by much. 

IMG_4312.thumb.jpeg.76cc785df2c22fd0f4e3abe0cce354d2.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Finally put one of these in the ground. This guy was in a pot for a few months in 1/2 day sun acclimating before putting it in the ground this past November. It hasn’t been scorching hot obviously but it is in full sun facing West and looks great. 

I have another in a pot that I moved to full sun and it didn’t like it much as it suffered a little.  So maybe that’s the key….these take their time to acclimate a bit. 

-dale 

IMG_7784.thumb.jpeg.c4a87f6d1daebc389b6df1ea96321148.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1